Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Ok, looked it up. Here is info on Mobic. http://www.rxlist.com/mobic-drug.htm

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095

Thanks fluff!

I put up my message and then dashed out the door for the day. It's now 5pm so am back...

Yes, Mobic is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. I took one last night and today have only had a couple of twinges of pain from my back. Seems like this could be working :-)

Jenn

• cypher
    cypher Member Posts: 447

Lago, UGH!  I’m so sorry you had that happen to you while you were going through chemo!  Some people are so clueless and … weird. I find it kind of hard to understand how they could ridicule you.  Aside from the mean aspect of it, what is there about you to ridicule?  You seem like a pretty smart, together person.

Gratitude, honestly it’s not bothering me at all.  I hope it’s working!  I did try to do just assume that I’m going to have minimal SEs from the tamox.  After all, I’m going to be on it for a LONG time.  I think LeeA said something like that but phrased it a lot better.

TonLee, love your post.  You and Lago have been such great calming, informative presences.  And many other women on this thread.  I ran into someone the other day when I was getting my bone scan (she was too) and she remarked on how great I looked, even though I just finished chemo and rads.  I think it is helpful to others to see that you can get through it and not look like a cancer patient. 

Yay Steiner!  Congrats!

TonLee, it is definitely the best thread on this site.  Takes the edge off of being her2+ to be going through it with such a great group of women.

Lago, hilarious ad!

Fluff, I’m sorry, for some reason I was under the impression that you were getting them every year or something.  I think it’s good to get a baseline just in case.  It’s a sneaky disease, you never know.  In any other context this would sound like a mean thing to say, but I hope you have arthritis! 

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688

Yes, this is the best thread! I for one am so appreciative of all you ladies here and plan on hanging around here for a long time.

And Stiener YAY for a clean scan and being finished with chemo!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

cypher no need to apologize It was back in 2010/2011 but I like to warn everyone because the first few attacks I was pretty upset and confused. Then I remembered that anyone can get breast cancer and come to these boards, even assholes. I was not the first to be bullied on bc.org nor will I be the last. (Some of them are still here but I have them blocked). All I can say is if you see someone being attacked here tell the mods. They may not realize at first what's happening because they are dealing with treatment/diagnosis still… and it can only escalate. The mods can only be so many places at one time. Bullying is not tollerated on this site.

Yay for "DONE" with chemo and "CLEAN" scans!

I never lost all my eyebrows/lashes but they did start to shed again in 5 weeks. I was never without brows completely. Lashes came close but I wear eyeliner and have big eyes so not a big deal for me. Seems now on Anastrozole my brows and lashes are thinner although my lashes seem a bit longer. I never really had long lashes and they would never curl before.

• gratitudeforlife
    gratitudeforlife Member Posts: 138

Hi websister,

Thanks for your post where you shared with me/all of us how Tamoxifen is affecting you, three weeks into taking it. I am going to the pharmacy today to have the prescription filled, and next week I will begin taking it. This board has REALLY helped me to calm down and to just accept it, try it and, as LeeA reminded me/all of us, having a positive mindset about treatment is very important to it being as effective as it can be. Off to create a wonderful day for myself and others!! Hope all of you have many moments of joy and thankfulness today.

• eileenohio
    eileenohio Member Posts: 268

Hi to everyone... Another milestone in this journey.  Had my last herceptin at 9 am this morning.  The nurses in my cancer center were so cute--they did a Happy Dance and gave lots of hugs and kudo's.  Now to get on with my life.  The plan is:a mammogram once a year and see my MO every 6 months.. I feel so lucky and blessed to have tolerated,chemo,herceptin and radiation with little to no side effects. Now that I am done with herceptin I hope my hair will start to grow faster and thicker..Thanks to Lago,Special K and Kelloggs for all the support and encouragement. Wow-- what a year..Glad it is over....

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,257

eileen - SO SO HAPPY for you!  You have been a trouper and have done so well, I remember you were so unsure and frightened, and you got through it with flying colors!  Congrats!

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Fluff, remember your back pain could be something as simple as gallbladder disease.  That is the spot where the pain usually rears its ugly hear, right under the right shoulder blade.  Keep us posted.  Fingers crossed over here in the northern portion of the city!

• beckstar18
    beckstar18 Member Posts: 97

Eileenohio, congrats on being done with Herceptin!  I just had my last chemo yesterday and like your nurses doing the happy dance, my nurses gave me a really nice certificate all with sweet messages from each one of them on there.  The little things along the way are certainly a nice and welcome touch :)

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Oh, and speaking of a$$holes getting breast cancer--remember Special K's frightening story about her chemo buddy?  Surprised  That still scares me!!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

To those ladies having pains.  Keep in mind that if you've started Tamoxifen or an AL they cause a lot of pains.  I'm on the Arimidex (AL) and some days my pain is really bad especially in the ribs.  I asked the oncologist about it and she tells me it is the AL.  If I stop for a day or so (which I know you aren't supposed to do), the pain subsides.

Congrats to those who just finished.  You made it out of the tunnel.  When we start, we wonder if we'll ever get out of the tunnel, but each treatment brings us closer and we finally climb out.  Hooray!

• cypher
    cypher Member Posts: 447

Congrats Eileen and Steiner!

Pbrain, what story about SpecialK's chemo "buddy"?  Must have been before my time?

Ok and re the tamox, I swear I have been less achey since I started on it.  Is this possible?  I know that I was premenopausal before I started, and that a recent blood test suggested that I was in menopause based on my estriodol levels.   I can't tell the normal way (i.e., periods).  I've been really achey etc since finishing chemo, but less starting around mid last week.  Alternatively, I stopped taking my supplements during rads b/c I was just so confused by all of the info and it made me nervous.  I started those again around the same time.  Any clue as to why I'm feeling less achey?  I mean, I'll take it, but still...

• specialk

cypher - I will link that story for you - it is hilarious/ridiculous/unbelievable/horrifying, etc.  I just laughed reading pbrain's reference - so it is one of those stories that is funny now in hindsight...  The story starts on page 1 - two posts, then continues on page 3 with two posts, last one on page 4.

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=69&id=766186&page=1

Maybe less achey because residual SE from chemo have worked their way out - could be timing.

• arlenea

OMG SpecialK:  That, in retrospect, is too funny.

Cypher:  Consider yourself lucky!

• lago

OK regarding aches and pains. Yes the AIs and Tamox make us achey but still report these to your onc. This is not to scare but please REPORT TO YOUR ONC about anything that has been going on for 4 WEEKS or more. I have a friend that thought her aches and pains were just from Tamox, ended up being mets. Usually these things are from the drugs but your onc needs to be the one to decide its nothing not you.

• arlenea

Good advice Lago!

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092

I sat here and read through the entire infusion thread.  Very interesting.  Thanks for the link, SpecialK. 

Your experience with the TMI woman would have really unnerved me - especially the fact that she wanted to play the guilt card with you.  Of all the things that at a person has to contend with the first day of chemo (or any day of chemo) it shouldn't be drama of that kind.  

• specialk

It was totally ridiculous - and at the time it made me mad that she seemed to have no concern about monopolizing my attention - it was all about her on my first day of chemo.  In retrospect, I feel sorry for her, she was so panic-stricken and nervous, she just didn't handle it very well.

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749

i agree totally lago... they couldn't get me in fast enough for a bone scan once i told the onc about my back pain - i think they take us her2 girls very seriously

• Shasha10
    Shasha10 Member Posts: 212

Special K

I just read the story. Omg. I am very impressed how well you handled it. Definitely should be in the "what not to do book." We're all scared. You guys are really helping me prepare.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Lago....some of those threads drive me crazy. I see no sense in being argumentative or nasty. I read several of them but don't ever comment because I don't want to get in a battle. Not worth the effort.

We really should write a book about all the funny and crazy stories that happened while going through all this. Definitely a learning experience

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

cypher - I noticed I, too, am now less achey since being on Tamoxifen several months.  Hope I didn't just jinx myself.  lol

• lago

fluffqueen01 One of the reasons why I had stayed on those thread is when I read about a mother of 3 kids in her early 30's that is HER2+, stage 3 and deciding to forgo conventional treatment based on encouragement from these nuts I just can't keep silent. Granted I can't save the world and people are adults but if you've ever been to some of those alternative treatment sites the info is very convincing… especially if you're all new to this and don't have the knowledge yet to see the flaws in their reasoning.

Check this out. They even contradict saying that sugar feeds cancer but beets help fight cancerin this example. Beets are filled with sugar: bull shit linky  I'm all for complimentary but straight alternative… I'm also un-trusting of any treatment that bashes conventional 100%. Conventional has it's problems but it's the best we have right now..

• specialk

shasha - I certainly hope that my experience was an anomaly and doesn't happen at most centers - I think the nurses were relieved when she was done with her tx, she was pretty disruptive.  On her last day she brought several people with her (against the rules) and they brought champagne into the infusion room and she had her pink hard hat on and was prancing around being obnoxious.  I felt that it was totally insensitive as they were loudly celebrating her last chemo - I thought what about those who may have been there who were stage IV (this is a communal room) and will never have their last chemo celebration?  This woman seemed to lack any sensitivity to others and what they may be experiencing - I was amazed that someone could be that oblivious.  The nurses were very good at maintaining as friendly and happy an environment as possible, but this lady not only crossed the line, she was so far beyond it she couldn't even see it anymore!  This will not happen to you though!  I am glad that we are helping, and remember that the anticipation is usually worse than the event - I have heard many others say the same.

• Shasha10

After going throng the denial, shock and crying crying crying. I'm amazed that I can function again at all . I'm big on research. And one of my friends questions if that is good. I said I have get control of this, this is the only way I know how to. It is so helpful to see intelligent women in this forum. Fighting this like me.

I'm planning to do a fundraiser when the chem is over and looking for I donation ideas. Bc gets a lot of money. And I'm not sure how much I'll raise. Any ideas where it's most needed. Thx

• lago

shasha I do the Strides Against Breast Cancer walk for the American Cancer Society as well as on the planning committee. I'm also a reach to recovery volunteer. Love the organization. They provide lots of free programs (including free wigs, Looks Good Feel Better, Ride to recovery, etc) for cancer patients as well as fund research programs. I also like the idea that if money is give to let say breast cancer research and the research finds that it doesn't help breast cancer but can help colon cancer the ACS can shift funds so the research continues.

Also bc.org, this site is non profit and needs money to keep running.

• Shasha10

Lago

Thank you. I always donated like many of you but I'm able to do the fundraiser and I guess it gives me a focus. Thx for your in put

• Shasha10

Special K

This week is much easier. Of course I was such a basket case anything is an improvement. I finally found the dry ice for the cold caps and am starting to organize my schedule. Only 2 dr apt today. Lucky me. ;)

I can't wait for this weekend in fla on the ocean. My walk on the ocean is so therapeutic for me. Then when I'm return I'm meeting with the nurse practitioner for integrative therapies. Nutrition yoga acupuncture. I always worked so I never took so much personal time for me before.

• specialk

shasha - many of us on this discussion board are "knowledge is power" people, that is why we are here - knowing more about breast cancer, our own specifically, and learning about how to help ourselves and others makes many of us feel some measure of control in an out-of-control situation!  I think fully understanding any situation can't be a bad thing - keep researching and learning.  I find that it calmed me - especially at the beginning.  In terms of where to donate I like to cut out the middle man - this is where a lot of people have become disenchanted with organizations like Komen - they are spending too many donated dollars in areas other than research.  ACS is a great choice because they not only support research they support the patients in many ways, but you can also donate directly to the research facilities themselves if that is something that appeals to you.  NCI-designated cancer centers often have their own research arms - or you can select a specific area (like Her2 research, for example) to help fund.