Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• Shasha10
    Shasha10 Member Posts: 212

That's why I asking I ddin't want to donate to any group. Thx for your in put.

• dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110

Not sure if this made the national news or not yet but was on the news here in Minnesota but is supposed to be a very significant find:

Breast cancer DNA Mutator Found

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370

Who hates hot flashes....

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092

Thanks for posting that link, dechi.  That's one of the most interesting articles I've read in a long time.   Although the author doesn't mention Her2 positive, this caught my eye: 

although present in many Europeans and residents of sub-Saharan Africa, the gene for APOBEC3B is lacking in many Pacific Islanders and Asians, notably Japanese, who have a very low rate of breast cancer

Not long after I started posting someone on this thread mentioned a previous discussion about Her2 positive and women in a particular area of Africa (I'm not sure if it was mentioned by country or region). 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,257

sherry - who doesn't?  They don't have any redeeming qualities!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I confess to actually liking hot flashes.  Mine probably are not as severe as some get though.

• LeeA
  • dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110

Thanks for the link LeeA!

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370

Specialk,

They stink I get them a lot and it's embarrassing around people and they make me feel like grap...

• DiZZyMom
    DiZZyMom Member Posts: 96

Thanks both of you for those articles. Very interesting indeed.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Just saw the U of M post on facebook… very cool. I foiund out about this one last week too:

http://www.jspace.com/news/articles/researchers-identify-enzyme-which-triggers-breast-cancer/12640 

• gratitudeforlife
    gratitudeforlife Member Posts: 138

Dechi,

Thanks for the post. Read the summary of this article on www.sciencedaily.com website this morning(start my morning, every morning, by reviewing breast cancer articles, esp., but also all health-related articles).  Fascinating how an enzyme, special protein molecule, can cause so much trouble, but as I said in an earlier post, having studied protein synthesis in detail, I both understand its complexity and the role protein molecules play in either turning on or off genes, which in turn is the cause of a lot of illnesses/chronic diseases. I found this part from the article, especially, interesting:

But it (APOBEC3B) isn't essential for life; although present in many Europeans and residents of sub-Saharan Africa, the gene for APOBEC3B is lacking in many Pacific Islanders and Asians, notably Japanese, who have a very low rate of breast cancer.

I am of the mindset of so many of you ladies that it is wonderful to educate ourselves as much as possible about the possible causes of BC, and to ask our treatment team experts questions, especially if we do not understand well/fully/the content of some articles.  Hmmmmm. . . so why would some humans contain the enzyme and others not??? Diet? geographic location? evolutionary advantage? Of course, this question could be asked about a lot of enzymes linked to various illnesses, but this is where my mind is going right now

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Dechi,

I haven't seen that!  Thank you for posting it!  I love to read about new information! 

Hopefully it is one more piece of the puzzle. 

Wouldn't it be glorious to see the day when a woman is given a BC diagnosis, but it is given with the same concern by the Dr as a stubbed toe?

What?

My expectations too high?  lol

I'm with you Gratitude.  I wonder if they need volunteers in which they can murder that enzyme!  lol

• gratitudeforlife

TonLee,

Sign me up!! Eradicating that cursed enzyme would be glorious!!

LeeA and lago, thanks so much for your two posts as well. Makes me REALLY regret that I ignored my biology prof's advice in the mid-80s to become a doctor. Actually, I would not even want to be a doctor, I so wish I pursued research. Fascinating times, and let's all be optimistic that brilliant, caring minds are going to provide us BC patients with better options in the VERY near future. Won't this thread explode with joyous entries when that day occurs. . . and I really, truly believe we are not far away from that day.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Wouldn't that be awesome for it to be treated like a stubbed toe?  :)  Great thought TonLee!

• gratitudeforlife

Anyone's husband ready to toss them out of the boudoir due to hot flashes. My poor hubby!! It's about 22 degrees F here in Toronto, Canada, and I HAVE to keep the bedroom window open slightly (to me it's "slightly," to him it's "wide open") because I find the moment I lie down at night the old hot flashes, in the first 90 minutes, are very intense.  There have been many humourous moments during this journey so far, tears too, of course, but we're just that much closer as a couple. . . a good thing. 

• lago

I think my husband would be happy if I had hot flashes. I'm always cold and he wants to wear shorts when its 40 degrees (F) out.

• lago

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i323/lauren3g/DRgoogle_zps40c097ff.jpg

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

So what constitutes an "intense" hot flash?  I think we need to set some standards here to ensure we're all talking about the same sort of thing.

I am very scientific.  I go by how much sweat is between my breasts to measure intensity.  lol

I can get hot flashes that don't leave any sweat there, but they are rare.

Most often the flashes are strong enough that I can (if I wanted to and was gross enough), wipe my hand between the breast area and sling excess sweat on any kind of annoying person I know well.  Someone say, who might be comfortable telling me it is FREEZING in the room when I am OBVIOUSLY NOT COLD. 

Not that I've ever done something so unladylike and gross.

Uh.hem.

What? 

• DiZZyMom

So do you ladies have some advice for this embarrassing situation? I only had left side mastectomy with tissue expander placement. My PS has filled the TE 4 or 5 times. Now on the left side, I have a decent size, very firm mound waaaaay up on on my chest. On the right, I have my 46 year old DD that has nursed 3 babies. No where near as firm, small or high as the left. No bra is going to hoist my right side up to the level of the left. My reconstruction to match is going to be a long way off after chemo, rads, etc. Any suggestions to help me look not quite so lopsided?

Thanks!

• LeeA

All I can say is: 

I wish my tissue expanders had been filled 4 or 5 times! 

I'm going for the third fill tomorrow.  What I have now look like little more than junior high buds (as in "budding breasts"). 

Re: hoisting up the one side - I'm sure you've considered this but I'll toss it out there anyway - what about adjusting the straps of your bra differently?  

• lago

DiZZyMom You might be able to get a prosthesis to fix this. Ask your PS  for a script so your insurance will cover. Also there are bras that have that extra push up. You can remove push up from some of them.

LeeA I told my PS after the 4th expansion I was big enough. He said I needed a few more… ended up with 6 more! Went from a barely 34B to my current 34D. Like I said when your PS is male and you ask for "a little bigger and fuller"… is not the same as what a woman idea of "little bit" is.

Seriously just with the little bit I had put in at surgery I didn't think I looked so flat.

• lago

1 more thing. I think it was on this thread. Who had rads and had this great process to protect their skin. A friend is going to do rads and I would love to share it with her. She promised to run it past her rad onc before she tries it. PM me.

thanks

• DiZZyMom

Right now, I'm in a soft sports bra (not sure why, just what I was instructed to wear when I finally was allowed to not be wrapped anymore) so there are no adjustable straps. I don't see why I need this though. I'll try a regular bra tomorrow and see what I can do by adjusting the right side.  The only reason I got so many fills is he was trying fill all the space left by the surgery to try to keep the fluid from building. After being top heavy my whole adult life, I always wanted a breast reduction. This just isn't what I had in mind Smile

• LeeA

lago

I posted omaz's rads protocol for some women on the January chemo thread (with credit to her research/experience) and I included some extra links with comments from her. 

Here's the link: 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/797712?page=60#post_3414698

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,257

dizzy - I would go to a mastectomy fitter and see what they have to say - they have all kinds of shaped prostheses and inserts..  I had a lopsided situation for 7 months - lost my left TE and had to go through chemo without it - I wore a lot of ruffles and those long draped scarves - they help a lot!

A specialk hot flash means red ears (seriously very red!), whole face has a sheen of sweat, hair at the hairline is wet, I get a little lightheaded and feel like there is a clamp on my temples - all the other parts of me that normally get sweaty during exercise also do with a flash.  Other people can tell when I have one - my co-workers always knew!

• Shasha10

love the cartoon Cool

• Shasha10

Dizzymom

2 yrs ago I asked a plastic surgeon about Br reduction as well  and he told me not too. My husband didin't encourage it but said it  was up to me.

I'm a 32 triple DDD. So really top heavy. I'm very thin as well so its alwyas so hard to find a decent bra.

never going strapless

I'm wondering if he would of seen something. didn't want to ask my drs.  since it never happened and here i am

• gratitudeforlife

How would I describe my hot flashes at night? It all starts in my chest area, a furnace-like feeling which spreads quickly throughout my body. Honestly, it feels like a fire is spreading throughout my body. My head/face get very, very hot and sweaty, my back is soaked (maybe TMI, but we have to establish a "scientific" standard-hee, hee!!), and sometimes I have to change the sheets because I think they are gross.  My hubby says for me to sleep on thick towels---I've done it a few times--but mostly I don't follow his advice.  I make him REALLY glad he's not a female (periods, PMS, childbirth, hot flashes, BC, etc.). The worst one I had was two weeks ago, so I just went outside and stood in the snow--BARE FEET!!! Felt quite grand. 

• lago

Dizzymom I know a gal (met on these boards) that had a BMX but years ago she had a reduction. Ended up they couldn't do a SNB because of that and had to removed level I. She had no nodes involved. So far no LE but I do have LE from level I so you never know. At least that was my understanding.

Thanks LeeA