Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• barberchic
    barberchic Member Posts: 51

So, I should use my right arm? I was under the impression that I couldn't use either now. Oh well, I see my onc next Friday, I'll see what she has to say. I do know I'm suppose to be getting a port too. I just want to be as safe as possible :) Thanks for your info ladies! Now I'm going to go give my foobs a muchly needed shower...lol! Tmi ???

Angie

• ang7894
    ang7894 Member Posts: 427

barberchic== Great news :)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Angie both arms will always be at risk but with 2/3 nodes the risk is much lower… but if you have radiation then the risk goes up on that side. I'm pretty sure surgery + chemo + family history got the LE to start on my left.

• barberchic

Thank you lago! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that! I'm being rude by going on about it!!! I'm sorry :(

• lago

Rude? did I miss something. No need to be sorry. I wear my sleeve and that's about it. I don't even wear a glove anymore. So far haven't had any issues. Been wearing the sleeve for 2+ years now so no big deal. Just don't want to have to wear them on both arms.

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688

Glad your drains are out barberchic!

TonLee, my thighs are still really sore but at least my feet as getting better!

• barberchic

Thank you Bren58!

Lago.....its just the southern in me , I guess!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Lago, TonLee, Barberchic - Why would nodes be taken out on the non-cancer side? I had BMX, but SNB was only on the cancer side.

• gratitudeforlife
    gratitudeforlife Member Posts: 138

Hi ladies,

To all those currently recovering from a round of treatment or about to begin another phase, prayers and support are sent from my heart to yours.

TonLee, thanks for the YouTube post. I cannot do some of the moves as I had frozen shoulder syndrome in mid-2012, and I now have rotator cuff tendonitis in my left shoulder due to, so my rheumatologist says, the toxic effects of chemo treatments. I read this article about pain experienced by BC patients in the upper extremeties and thought it might be of benefit to some of you.  Here it is:

http://www.med.nyu.edu/pmr/residency/resources/96-UE%20pain%20in%20breast%20CA.pdf

Re: the exercises, I have never seen the plank jacks or plank wide tucks before, so now I can incorporate them into the body work portion of my workout. 

Closing words from a book I recently read and highly recommend to all of you, Thomas Moore's Dark Nights of the Soul:  "A dark night of the soul is a spiritual trial,. . . Your coarse soul is refined, your intelligence is deepened, your vision of life's  purpose is enlarged.  You don't necessarily choose it for yourself, and you have to get close to it and sift it for its gold. . .  . It will dissolve you and reform you anew.  It does not have to be tragic. It may make sense what it contributes to others, not what it does for you.  You have no choice but to surrender control and give in to the unknown.  It will have a lasting effect on you, and it will alter you forever.  It calls for a spiritual response" (from the introduction to the book). 

• lago

shore1 The reason I had the BMX is because they saw 4 suspicious areas in the "good" breast with the MRI. My BS told me they would have to be biopsied every year. He was really worried about on spot in particular. At that point he recommended a BMX but we didn't bother with the biopsy since it would have just delayed surgery. I already was waiting 6 weeks post biopsy on other breast. Ended up that spot was LCIS.

If they had know for sure it was LCIS they wouldn't have removed any nodes. But the only way they can do the SNB is when the nipple is there. If I had the BMX without the SNB and they found something invasive I would have ended up with the entire level I removed because they no longer could do a SNB.

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092

TonLee, yes, I still read your posts but my retention right now is pathetic! 

I just looked at your post again.  I didn't click on the link at the time.  Last night I was in hyper-focus mode until about 1:30 a.m. in anticipation of the radiation consult today. 

Re: my axilla - the last time I saw my breast surgeon it was discussed (I think?).  The PS said it could be done during the exchange but I think it would be ridiculous at this point.  

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,798

Barberchic, I had two removed on the cancer side. They do not do sticks on that side. However, if any arm has LE, it would be the side with no nodes and no cancer.   I don't have sweling and have been checked for LE and they said they don't see any evidence. But, that is the arm that will hurt occassionally. It is the same arm that I have have had tendonitis in in the past, so  I think that is it. Comes and goes.

I did wear an LE sleeve on both arms when we flew 24 hours to Thailand. I just thought it would be more prudent. Wore knee high leg ones too, since I am on Tamoxifen.

I work out and do yoga using both arms with weights and haul around more stuff than I should probably, but I try to be careful. I have noticed that when I pick up my 25 pound great niece to carry around, both arms get tired FAST! I thought I had a lot of strength back, but I notice weakness a lot on things like that.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,798

I posted this on my chemo thread also, but I had to laugh when I saw the breaking news banner on this site about Early disgnosed women having PTST. 

Really? Is anyone surprised? A simple thread started on this site would have provided all the research they could possible have needed and they could have done it in a week.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Gratitude:  Interesting about the rotator cuff for which I just went through PT for a rotator cuff problem which we can't figure out where the problem came from....HMM, perhaps chemo?  Thanks for the post!

• cgesq
    cgesq Member Posts: 183

Random question about the TCH regimen.  Not counting the dose dense herceptins that we get every 3 weeks after the chemo portion is over, does anybody know why some of us get/got herceptin in weekly infusions during the TCH cycle, meaning 18 weekly infusions, whereas others get/got herceptin in dose dense versions throughout, meaning only 6 infusions of TCH?

• vballmom
    vballmom Member Posts: 153

Benign! It's a fibroadenoma, the most common benign tumor of the breast.  Thank you for all the good thoughts and prayers.  My doctor called today and blurted out "It's benign!" before my oldest had a chance to tell him it wasn't me on the phone. She's 20, so it was fine with me...except she called me and told me, "Mom, it's benign.  It's a sumthin sumthin sumthin. But it's benign." So relieved.

• cgesq
    cgesq Member Posts: 183

V'Ball....Great news!!!  Thanks for sharing!

• LeeA

vballmom, congratulations on that wonderful news!  So happy for you!!

• Vitelle
    Vitelle Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if I should created a new post or reply to this group. I created a new thread earlier just in case. This is for my sister that recently has beed diagnosed by BC. She is ER-/PR-, HER2 +++ Grade 1 and 11 weeks pregnant.

Do you have similar experience or more information about having BC with HER2 +3, lymph nodes involvement and also in the early stage of pregnancy? Do you think she should wait for her treatment until the baby is born?

• LeeA

Vitelle, there's a poster on this thread who recently had chemotherapy while pregnant.  Hopefully she'll see your post and reply.  

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Oh vballmom GREAT NEWS--such a happy word.

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688

vballmom that is the best news I heard today. So happy for you!

• lago

cgesq I have no idea but I bet it is the preferred way. It's easier for the treatment center not to have to do it every week.

vballmom HAPPY DANCE!

Vitelle you are more than welcome here on this thread but do note that this groups diagnosis is a little different. Since your sister is not hormone positive she won't be getting hormone suppression drugs like the rest of us.

• gratitudeforlife

Vitelle,

I am copying an article that may help your sister, in some way, with her decision regarding treatment while pregnant.  Here it is: 

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/769232

ArleneA, sorry that you, too, are dealing with a rotator cuff issue. I was relieved to be told by my rheumatologist that it was linked to the cancer treatments I received, which really did not surprise me. I have been healthy and pain-free for my entire life and now, after six months of chemo, radiation and continuing Herceptin infusions, not to mention the lovely, daily dose of Tamoxifen, my body feels sore and as though it has aged 10 years. Oh well, I just keep on a movin' and a groovin' and do what I can within the limits of my "new" body.  Glad the post helped you.

Vballmom, so very, very happy for you that the result is benignWink.

It is sunny and half-decent here in Toronto, so I am going to go for a speedwalk.  May all of you have a great day.

• barberchic

Yay vballmom!

I was wondering if anyone has something special they liked to use on their stitches? I wasn't told to do one thing or another. I like home remedies, so any advice will be appreciated! I have an olive complextion due to my Cherokee heritage, so I tend to scar easily!

Much love to all!

Angie :)

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

I start radiation today...the RO gave me a booklet to read and the side effects sound miserable.  I'm going to just barrel through, like I did with chemo--head down...one foot in front of the other...I have black sharpie marks all over my body!!

Prayers to everyone still getting chemo.  You will get through it!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,257

vballmom - yay!

pbrain - good luck - I like your attitude!

• gratitudeforlife

Pbrain,

FWIW, I breezed through radiation. It was so much easier than hideous chemo with constantly tearing eyes and neuropathy. Your attitude is great, rather in keeping with Winston Churchill's quotation, "When you are going through hell, keep going." Make sure you moisturize the radiated area well every day. I used 100% organic, Argan oil and Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion, Fragrance Free, and my skin held up beautifully (3 weeks of regular  radiation, one week of the "boost"). 

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Well, my RO says to use Elta Lite.  Anyone ever hear of it?  I'll give it a whirl.  Gratitude, I am so hoping to be able to breeze through this.  I feel good for the first time in forever, and now they are beating me up again ;-)

• eileenohio
    eileenohio Member Posts: 268

www.medline.com .   Best wishes for SE free radiation.