Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who have used only alternative treatments

Options

Comments

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited April 2012
    Options

Abigail, did you or your mother ever report any of these events to the police? Seems to me that would be your first line of defense.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited April 2012
    Options

they all gotta be dead by now, but I wonder if there is a third generation at work.  I never told my mother any of this, she must have known something was wrong about the first because I was some injured

but please no more requests for me to consult allopaths

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433
    edited April 2012
    Options

Oh, that's just awful.  Listen, I'm not going to tell you to see an allopathic doctor - your mind is clearly made up.  But please know that the vast majority of doctors (allopathic or homeopathic) would never do something so horrible.  I am truly sorry that this happened to you and I fervently hope that there is not a third generation at work.  But most doctors are good people who want to help people, even if their methods are not the ones you would choose.

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited April 2012
    Options

Those were psychopathic quacks. Unfortunately both sides of the fence harbor creatures such as those.

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

well it turns out there's not a third generation, at least there, but a 3rd?? brother, a proctologist, & he gives the first name of his father.

• luv_gardening
    luv_gardening Member Posts: 362
    edited April 2012
    Options

Susie, that's interesting about the liver mets.  Was the person on chemo too?  I try not to comment on HER2+ as I have never researched this and with the potential heart problems on one hand and an aggressive cancer of the other, it's a much more difficult decision.

You and all HER2+ women have my sympathy and it's due to Evebarry making the decision to go with Herceptin that makes me think there must be some good evidence that tips the scales.

• cheery
    cheery Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2012
    Options

Joy

I do not know who Susie is referring to but thought I'd chime in to share my story. 

I'm HER2+ and Stage IV from the get go with liver met in 2008. I did chemo and Herceptin and I've been NED for the past 3 years. At least 3 oncos think I've been "cured". My current oncologist said science today cannot explain why you're alive today. But they all believe Herceptin has been my lifesaver. 

That said, I had TCM for about a year in 2008 until my liver injury (precursor to liver failure). It's common in patients who take TCM herbs and chemo concurrently. 

Hope this helps. I hesitate to share my story as I prefer to lie low, especially when many Stage IV sisters are battling so hard just to achieve stability and/or NED. 

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited April 2012
    Options

Cheery is one of the ladies I was talking about and the other is CafeLvr - Linda who I know from my original chemo group - she is on herceptin only now and remains NED.

• luv_gardening
    edited April 2012
    Options

Cheery, do you mean the liver injury is common or the NED?

• cheery
    cheery Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2012
    Options

Joy 

I meant liver injury from the "clash" between chemo and TCM herbs is common.

Of course, my onco said it's the TCM herbs. My TCM doc (also a qualified MD) said it's the chemo. This arguement sounds familiarWink?

Anyway, my onco nurse said she sees this type of liver injury regularly in patients who take chemo and TCM concurrently. I tend to believe her as she has 20 years of experience and has nothing to benefit by telling me. 

• luv_gardening
    edited April 2012
    Options

The liver can only process so much at once, that's why it can be damaged by too much Paracetamol/Acetaminophen. So it would make sense to separate strong treatments.

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited April 2012
    Options

....i've forgotten what this thread is about now.....

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

yeah.  hahaha.  I have no idea what are most of these chemicals (?) probably shouldn't have shut down all thattorture of my way, not good, as an old lover told me once, to stop words

• candygurl
    candygurl Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2012
    Options

Joy, again this thread is called "Survivors who have used only alternatives".  I think you and many others (i.e. SusieQ58, yorkie, sweetbean, Ang7 etc. )  should mainly be posting in the Complementary Medicine section instead of here, so that serious alternative minded women (i.e. PattyG,Abigail, evebarry, vivre, dunesleeper,Maud, Tucker, Diane, not  etc.  could have  much needed useful in-dept discussions .

Your posts are very pro-chemo and pro whatever the latest  "strong treatments'  the allopathic community is marketing this year - Taxol, Tamoxifen, Herceptin etc.  What you all fail to realize is that the women who come to these alternative threads have tried those treatments and are not satisfied or they simply do not want toxins in their bodies. They are trying to protect their organs from being destroyed.

If people stick closely to the forums that support their views, they'll be less conflicts around here and everyone would get the support they need. The alternative women  need a forum that isn't watered down , muddied and stressful.  Abigal had to shout "STOP" and still some of you ignored her. 

Many of the same people who crucified WOM a year ago for not following in  their  conventional medicine footsteps  are the same ones who are pushing standard treatments on this thread.  They are clearly not interested in alternative treatments-just complementary treatments, but for some reason they are addicted to this forum.

Again, please respect us and take note.  Alternative medicine refers to treatments that are used INSTEAD of standard, evidence-based treatment!

THANK YOU!  

• 1Athena1
    edited April 2012
    Options

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

thing is joy found some very good information about scullcap, she doe, unlike the others you mention, look for our kind of help

• luv_gardening
    edited April 2012
    Options

Zuvart, I don't know why you're addressing me, you must be confusing me with someone else.  Not that it matters.

Thanks Abigail.  Medicinal herbs are one of my many special interests, a favourite.  I couldn't find anything much on the Geranium Robertianum.  Considering it's been traditionally used for cancer, that's really disappointing.  I think it's the Asian herbs that have had all the study but not so much the rest of the world.  My feeling is that herbs mixed with diet and other strategies should pack a big punch.

Now I'm off to bed before the sun comes up. Frown

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

during the worst of the aids crisis I heard of a pair of men who used dried chinese herbs, mostly indigestable unfortunately, I always flash on eating dried halucinogenic cactus,

by the way there is a 3rd generation of those drs, or perhaps a 4th, a gp in the town where the 1st event occurred, or very near there,  the 2nd generation brother? is now 85, he has a clinic.  apparently no more gynocologists, er're not litigenous but I wonder if they eventually got sued.

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited April 2012
    Options

I guess zuvart is the new Moderator...

• suzieq60
    edited April 2012
    Options

Speaking of medicinal herbs/plants, I hear the bark of the Pacific Yew tree is a miracle and can kill breast cancers.

• 1Athena1
    edited April 2012
    Options

Wondering the same thing Ang. If that's the case I think she needs a new calling - scolding one of the most reasoned voices on BCO?!

• candygurl
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Abigail, I would not give what happened to you any energy at all. Focus on healing your body and your mind and living life to the fullest. Someone mentioned counseling. I totally agree with that. Forgiveness is a huge part of the healing process. All that's really needed is that you make the decision to move forward, to let go of the past. You don't have to condone what's been done. What's criminal is still criminal. But you shouldn’t let the past control the decisions you make in the present. A while ago I read about a small study that showed that early sexual assault seemed to increase the risk of breast cancer and other health conditions in  women, specifically the elderly.   
  • candygurl
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Susieq58, I heard low dose chemo (Pacific Yew tree)  is effective--something about it only killing the cancer cells and leaving the healthy cells alone. You should ask WOM about it. Too late .. you drove her away.
  • pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited April 2012
    Options

zuvart, maybe you know this but that is Taxol, manufactured by Bristol-Myers Squibb.

• 1Athena1
    edited April 2012
    Options

We know who this is. Mods, I told you. Please do something. 

• suzieq60
    edited April 2012
    Options

Zuvart - just how did I drive WOM away??? I have never called her names or ridiculed her etc just cared about what happens to her.

• NattyOnFrostyLake
    NattyOnFrostyLake Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2012
    Options

Abigail,

I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I wish I could help ease your pain. Maybe by telling others your story it's a healing step forward.

Sending love your way...

• suzieq60
    edited April 2012
    Options

Zuvart - the Pacific Yew tree drugs are great - taxotere and taxol are saving many lives.

• luv_gardening
    edited April 2012
    Options

When we find a way to kill cancer stem cells, then we'll save lives.  So far many things can shrink tumours and even cause a complete pathological response, but if those stem cells have set up home then it's just a matter of time. 

Of course there are rare people who have had a complete, lasting remission without anyone investigating why, who may actually hold the secret.  I guess they're hidden away in anonymous testimonials, yelling their truth while no one listens. That's why I'd like to see some way of verifying testimonials so we can discount any fakers or attention seekers and carry out proper studies on the true miracles.

I'd like to see how WOM's treatments go.  She is a true pioneer, having her results documented at the clinic, hoping the treatments might bring about cures for many as medicine so far cannot cure mets apart from a few early, single mets.  I can contact her off the threads, but that wouldn't help BCO members including all the people who are silent readers, not brave enough to post here.   She said in the first post after a long break that she was posting as things had quietened and all the bickering had stopped.  So we should take this debate over to the thread I started, or anyone can start a new thread with their own agenda so that WOM is free to come back.  

• luv_gardening
    edited April 2012
    Options

Zuvart, many speak of how forgiveness has set them free, but it's the hardest thing.  We may need to first find some acceptance that the person has acted out of some addiction due to their own childhood conditioning or suffering. If we can accept that we've also done some hurtful things due to our own suffering, it helps a lot. Then we can forgive ourselves too.  For me that's the only way it's worked.

I feel this aspect is key to emotional healing, but far more difficult than any drugs or treatments, and it can only come from within. 

Joy Lies Within