Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who have used only alternative treatments

Options

Comments

• Kadia
    Kadia Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2012
    Options

I don't think you can get enough of the compounds in curcumin or turmeric simply by eating lots of it. My understanding is that supplements are needed to reach what are considered to be therapeutic levels...

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited April 2012
    Options

&watercress.  got some monday, the book(s) say for cancer eat as much as possible.  & promisedd, our supermarket to re-open by june 1st.  that will make it 10 months with none.  just at the wrong time for me, of course.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited April 2012
    Options

abigail48, how is the best way to prepare watercress? Should it be cooked or raw? Thanks for the information.

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited April 2012
    Options

watercress - i used to have a stream where i grew it for a while in the spring.. it's delicious raw or steamed or sauteed.. YUM

i have to buy it now.

I also combine pepper and turmeric and just make a paste and kind of drink it daily..  can't hurt.

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

I had some for dinner:  a baked yam with the curry powder, watercress & butter lettuce with balsamatic vinegar & evoo & fresh squeezed lemon juice.  yum, yum

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited April 2012
    Options

apple, I am happy to see you posting here (and everywhere). Glad you got time with your piano students today.

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433
    edited April 2012
    Options

Apple, i was thinking of doing the same thing with the turmeric and black pepper.  I put watercress in my morning smoothie.  

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

I ran out of fresh ginger root, so none of that, but this morning I juiced some dark grapes, a piece of celry, an apple, a half a lemon most of the juice squeezed out for other meals, out of cucumber too, but also a dash of spring water

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited April 2012
    Options

Abigail, tumeric is actually anti-estrogenic.  Curry almost always contains tumeric.

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

yeah I know, but I make my own curry, see above, I read on some place that it was estrogenic, & I note gary no longer pushes it for brest cancer, only prostate, but there was a study recently on that so perhaps that's the reason.  I used a lot for awhile, with cinnamon & half & half (no good I know) heated.  as a nightcap

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

my brotherinlaw had prostate cancer, I believe they perscribed estrogen, which weakened his bones, leg snapped, titanium insert, gone.  so if termeric is reccommended for prostate????????

• dunesleeper
    edited April 2012
    Options

I am taking turmeric in the form of C3 Complex. It was prescribed by my naturopath. He is also an MD. And when I saw my PCP today she asked if I was taking turmeric. She was glad I am. So I feel safe taking it.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited April 2012
    Options

I am learning a lot on this thread.  I thank you for mentioning the books and links. It is good to know what else we can choose from aside from conventional treatment or know we can choose to use both or choose one.  I would like it if the US had a national healthcare system like some other developed countries but I dont think it will happen because of the lobbyists for pharmaceuticals and medicine. Good luck and best wishes for healing,recovery, and vibrant health to all of you.

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

Yes.  the health insurance mandate might be tollerable if we could choose what kind of health care we wanted.

off to the studio tomorrow, to th & also the following week

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited April 2012
    Options

Abigail - we can choose under the mandate.

• abigail48
    edited April 2012
    Options

Yeah? really?  the insurance would pay for naturopathy for instance?

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited April 2012
    Options

This thread has been both educational and a bit of a comfort to me. Since the begining of my BC trip, and it had been a long, hard confussing trip, ALL of the tx options have me in tears, kicking and screaming. I don't belong here because I did have the surgery (PMX) via laser surgery and radiation. I opted out of the chemo and AI's because of their destructive qualities. For me I don't think my body is up to them. I sometimes wish I had the MX to avoid the Rads. It added to my fatigue and possible long term effects. Oh well, done. 

Anyway, I have changed my diet and added a lot of supps. Not good enough, TOO MUCH INFO for me to be comfortable with my choices. My stats definatly indicate chemo and AI theropy.????? A Dr was mentioned here George Wong and I immediatly researched him and decided to email him. He called me the next day and set up an appt. for next week. He works with many chronic conditions but he said his main interest and focus is BC. I have MS and diabetes which he also works with. 

Thanx for sharing all the info here. If anyone is interested I'll share if I learn anything with G.Wong...........I'm so excited. 

• luv_gardening
    luv_gardening Member Posts: 362
    edited April 2012
    Options

Oh that's such exciting news Chef.  I've been researching herbs for a while and I'm disappointed at the lack of research even after good preliminary studies.  I'm always left with an empty trail and nowhere left to take my search. 

Like you, I had the surgery and radiation though I started chemo but dropped out as the studies didn't support chemo for ER+ ILC.  Hormonals alone had the same long term outcome as chemo plus hormonals.   The data on Adjuvant! online didn't even take into account ILC as there's often no distinction in chemo studies.  So my MO wasn't pleased with my decision but is fully supporting me since I made the decision and tells me about studies into Aspirin etc.  I'm so grateful for that. 

The main thing is to just believe in your own ability to make decisions after taking into account all information.  Dr Wong's credentials look good and I hope all goes well for you.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2012
    Options

WOM:  So happy to hear that you are continuing to progress in a positive direction!  Because I have done extensive research on IPT therapy, I am well aware of the clinics that provide this service and where it could be obtained.  If others were willing to do their own research, they too could find this information.  I look forward to hearing your story if you should decide to tell it.

I fail to understand why those who have no confidence in alternative therapies and no wish to avail themselves of same continue to post on the alternative sites in such a negative manner.  It serves no purpose whatsoever.  I wouldn't think of posting negative information on a conventional thread as it would be disrespectful to those who are committed to conventional tx. 

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433
    edited April 2012
    Options

Chef, that's amazing about George Wong - I'm the one who posted about him.  Let us know how the appt goes!

• Layla2525
    edited April 2012
    Options

Definitely exciting Chef, has anyone seen the BreastDefend supplement information and website. It looks like there is a big argument on there about whether they can prove their arguments about their supplement helping out with preventing cancer or being a CAM for bc. Interesting,although I dont want to get involved since I dont have any statistics on their product nor any personal knowledge of it. Confused by the statistics on the AI and Tamox. One says reduces recurrence by 50% and one says by 5% and the clinical study said they had women from around the globe but only listed about 400 women.

• Layla2525
    edited April 2012
    Options

Turmeric is a cheap saffron,the seasoning for yellow rice,common in dishes from India and Arroz Amarillo con Pollo,chick n rice latin style. Doubt if it would hurt your bones. Its supposed to be toxic to cancer cells so I have heard but dont know if any clinical studies to show its true or not.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,816
    edited April 2012
    Options

Turmeric is not saffron at all, cheap or otherwise. Turmeric is from a plant that is a rhizome and related to ginger. Saffron comes from a particular type of crocus. The only thing they have in common is the color they give to food, so turmeric has been called the poor mans saffron. Caryn

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2012
    Options

Layla, there are tons of studies on turmeric showing its benefit against cancer Wink Like Abigail said, some sources say it's estrogenic, but then almost everything is !  I figure I'll eat everything (except soy in any shape or form) but I won't take it in supplement form, i.e. turmeric

Chef, really exciting, let us know how it went !! 

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Exbrnxgrl: thanks for pointing out that turmeric is a completely different plant than saffron. For those of you who want to use the fresh root, rather than turmeric powder, you should be aware that there are a couple of varieties. They both look similar to ginger and do belong to the same family, but with smaller "fingers" with a beige skin that you typically peel off. The flesh in the common turmeric (Curcuma longa) is bright orange, but there is also a white turmeric (Curcuma zedoaria), where the flesh is cream-colored. I bought some turmeric at a local Indian store last year, but when I cut it found that I had white turmeric. I'm not sure how the two compare with regard to curcumin content.
  • dunesleeper
    edited April 2012
    Options

I just want to post something encouraging here. I had the mastectomy but otherwise have been using diet, supplements, and exercise (actually still working on getting in the groove with that). On Monday, the MO told me there is no evidence of cancer in my body.

So I will stick with the diet, the supplements, and um, yeah, the exercise. And my ND and MO will be monitoring bloodwork. I have already told the MO I would not do mammograms. She is not happy with that and did not support thermography, but she will compromise with ultrasound. Life is good.

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    edited April 2012
    Options

My mom used to  cure? beef w tumeric. She made a paste and slathered it on the beef, hung the beef outside in cold weather to dry.  I don't know what the chemistry was but it did help with the curing process

I'm really looking forward to see Dr Wong.  Thanx sweetbean for researching and posting his info.

I have gotten a real education from all of you............thanx for the research.

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    edited April 2012
    Options
  • camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited April 2012
    Options

this has been so interesting to read, confusing a bit but it sure holds interest.  Good luck with Dr. Wong

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hey Dune, great news ! you sound good Wink

I'm a real slacker when it comes to exercising, so don't feel too bad, there's a few of us in that boat Lol