Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ER-, PR-, Her2+ Roll call

Comments

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546

Hi Soriya,

Sorry for the lag in responding to your post but I am not on here as much now that I am through the chemo and radiation, just continuing on herceptin. I just saw your post asking if TCH is enough.

There was a very large trial done by Dennis Slaymon as the lead investigator that showed that the TCH regimen was as effective as AC - containing regimens.

If you are her2+ you need the herceptin, and you should have it as soon as possible. For me it melted away every trace of the tumor (so far-knock on wood) in my breast and lymph nodes, by the time I had my surgery.

The AC cannot be given at the same time as herceptin because that combination is too hard on your heart. So if they do AC first you cant get herceptin until after the AC doses.

I would say go with the TCH and I hope that it works for you as much as it did for me.

GOOD LUCK to all!!!

• ddfw
    ddfw Member Posts: 4

I will be starting TCH within the next 2 weeks.  I was wondering if any of you checked out second opinion.

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199

I didn't. My oncologist explained everything so clearly, that I trusted her immediately and went with her recommendation. If you are uncomfortable about anything, I would encourage you either to have another appointment with your MO to clarify, or get a second opinion.

• ddfw

Thanks for your reponse. I did like my MO but I am also getting well-intended advice from family members to get a second opinion (and of course they have not experienced this cancer journey).  My head is starting to spin...so its good to get feedback from discussion boards like this one!

• roulag
    roulag Member Posts: 126

Ddfw- I got the same opinion from others, the moment I met my MO I felt very at ease. So needless to say I did not get a second opinion. I just wanted to get treatment started as soon as possible, I felt that every moment I waited the circumstances were getting worse. I also had TCH, it is not fun, but it is doable.

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210

ddfw: 6 treatments of Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin. 18 total Herceptin infusions. This was in 2008 - no evidence of disease since then. 2 IDC tumors: 2.2 cm and .7 cm. Grade 3. Extensive DCIS. No lymph nodes. 

Of course you should get a second opinion if it will bring you peace of mind, but from my 5 1/2 years of experience on these boards, TCH is prescribed because it works.

Wishing you all the best, Sue

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475

ddfw,  If you do not feel comfortable with your MO I would suggest a second opinion. The journey will be easier if you like your team and everyone is on the same page. I loved my MO. I had 5 weeks between surgery & the start of chemo so I had the time to research all the txs for Her2. I had 6 TCH and a total of 18 Herceptin. While doing TCH I had Herceptin weekly.

• roulag

Sewingnut, I had the exact same treatment. Weekly herceptin while on TCH, after the 6 rounds of chemo I went to herceptin every 3 weeks for the remainder of the 12 month cycle.

• ddfw

Thank you ladies for your responses.  It appears that we are all on the same tx path.  Its very encouraging to hear that you are been through it and SURVIVED IT! I plan to be part of this very special group.  Believe me you have helped me confirm my gut feelings.  There are not a lot of treatment options for HER2+==Herceptin is it.  So with a second opinion, I think the only difference will be the type of chemo to include with the Herceptin and radiation is an extra added bonus to ensure no recurrence.

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702

ddfw, I did get a second opinion outside of my HMO. Because I have two different kinds of tumors, one being HER2+ and the other triple negative, I decided a second opinion would be appropriate. The two did not agree on a treatment plan. My second opinion recommended a doctor he had worked with before within my HMO and the two were in agreement. I started TCHx4 on Aug. 26th with 6 mo. of herceptin - surgery will follow. If you have doubts about your treatment plan, it never hurts to get a second opinion.

• mt4ever
    mt4ever Member Posts: 51

Hi everyone! I am ER/PR-, HER2+ and just finished my last Herceptin in April.  Did TCH last year and about 39 radiation treatments!  So glad to have the last year behind me!! 

Anyone have any info on T1b being worse than T1a and why? 

All of you new girls hang in there you will get to the other side of treatment!! 

• soriya123
    soriya123 Member Posts: 384

Yay...mt43ve!!!!. I can't wait till mine is over. I still long way to go.

• girlstrong
    girlstrong Member Posts: 299

Hang in there soriya123, your time will come when you are done too!!! I am like you in that we are separated by one month in our dx. After looking at all the posts, I think the bottom line for all of us HER2 gals is that we are on Herceptin, and I am so thankful that it s available to us now!! I am still in my "AC" phase of chemo (4rounds and then will switch to TH) but am glad that time is passing. If I can make it through getting disgnosed and chemo, the rest of it all sounds like a piece of cake....seriously. Take a peek at the link, it gives some good stats on Herceptin and HER2 :) may need to copy and paste link in your URL line of browser.

http://ww5.komen.org/ContentNoSidebar.aspx?id=5990&terms=HER2.

• soriya123

Girlstrong, TCH hit me hard on #3, I can't imagine #4,5 &6. :-(

I can't wait till it over, at least chemo part.

• VintageGal1111
    VintageGal1111 Member Posts: 126

I will be starting all this within a month.

Haven't met with oncologist yet but BS put port in when I had surgery last week.So looks like Herceptin, Chemo then Radiation for me.

I need to go back for another surgery on the 16th, to clean up a bit. He didn't like the pathology results. So that will set me back a couple weeks to heal (again) before starting treatments.

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98

mt4ever,

I have not come across any data on survival rates based on T1a, T1b, or T1c.  It is always just stage 1 information.  I guess it is like being a little pregnant vs being a lot pregnant.  The outcome is the same.

What has been interesting is the new data coming out that seems to show that mastectomy is better than lumpectomy for triple negative or hormone negative, HER+ in lowering recurrence rates.  Now I know why both my surgeon and oncologist told me 7 years ago they were glad that I had a mastectomy instead of a lumpectomy.

• annika12
    annika12 Member Posts: 92

I had a second opinion that confirmed my treatment plan and my choice in hospitals :)

• roulag

Soriya - TCH #3 hit me very hard also. 4,5 and 6 were much easier. They changed my nausea meds and gave me an acid blocker (Prilosec). Please let your MO or the nurses know about your difficulty this time.

• soriya123

RaulaG, I had my nausea under control, but my appetite n fatique so bad. 9 days out I able to eat better but the fatique still there, don't kno maybe cus of the heat....so hot in California these past weeks.

I able to walk n drive n do things around th house, but feeling so exhausted. Usually day 9 n 10 I would have lot of energy out the door with no problem. Is there anything I can take to boost up my energy. Yes I will ask my onc to see if I take anything to get my energy back.

• roulag

Soriya - have them check your blood levels (hemoglobin & red blood cells) I had extreme fatigue as well. I required a blood transfusion (twice), each time I received blood I felt like a million bucks. As you may have guessed and experienced chemo effects are cummulative - with each round it knocks your system down farther and it is harder to bounce back.

Heat was a huge factor for me, stay as cool as you can and hydrated. Drink as much liquids and eat as much protein as you can. Unfortunately, that is all the advice I have for you. You will get through this, I promise, brighter days are ahead!

• soriya123

Thank you RoulaG! I kno for sure i don't eat enough protein, but I'm trying. :-)

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Soriya - get them to check your magnesium level too.  Mine was low and I felt much better after mag was added to the next infusions.

I agree with the water & the protein advice - but haven't been able to keep up with either for myself.

I'm through with 6 taxo/carbo/herceptin/Perjeta treatments, and I'm 10 days past the first Herceptin/Perjeta only tx - which will go on every 3 weeks for year.  Diahrrea has not appeared.  HOORAY.  Food still tastes horrible.  Muscles in legs & calves very sore.  Neuropathy in fingers & toes seems worse but none in my lips & tongue this time.  Still having nose bleeds & scabs. 

I had many tests last week & I'll meet with the onco next Thursday to see what's next.  Although the largest chest wall tumor has shrunk by about 1/2, I'm guessing he'll still recommend more surgery before rads.  One foot in front of the other.

• soriya123

Thank you Minustwo, I will write all these info down. :-)

• ahdjdbcjdjdbkf
    ahdjdbcjdjdbkf Member Posts: 188

Joining the roll call. 18 months NED and 30 days past reconstruction. NO PS or Oncology Appts until November!! Still hard to believe I don't have medical appointments 2-4 days a week. I am still adjusting to the idea but it definitely makes me smile :-)

• Grannyof3
    Grannyof3 Member Posts: 18

Soriya.......

Have you tried drinking Boost? The green labeled one is high in protein. It also has iron and other vitamins and minerals. I had no appetite for a few days after treatment, but was able to drink the Boost a couple times a day. It comes in powder, which is less expensive then the pre mixed bottles.

Mariasnow.....

Hooray for 18 months!! I see you had lat flap reconstruction. Are you happy with it? I'm scheduled for my recon on Nov 22. Ps wants to do the diep flap but I'm still undecided.

• soriya123

Warriorgranny,

I didn't drink any boost powder. I drink carrot juice twice a day. Sometime I drink fresh mixed fruits/veggies ...not daily.

I eat fruits daily for sure.

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199

Sassa -- can you point me in the direction of the research that shows mastectomy as a better choice than lumpectomy? I'm a lumpectomy gal and always like to stay on top of the latest research.  tia

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98

6 cats,

The article about the lumpectomy vs mastectomy in certain types of breast cancer was here in the research article section of this website.

The results aren't conclusive, just that it seems that less recurrence occurs after mastectomy than lumpectomy.

• ThriverInGA
    ThriverInGA Member Posts: 4

kbarry67, I am 18 mos. out from my last TCH. Looking at the copy of my chemo protocol orders, I was given 6 tx Taxotere, 140 mg. each time. Carboplatin started out at 800, but was reduced to 600 due to low white count. Last tx was only 450 mg. I still have low WBC (3.6), and my onc said it is my "new normal." I don't seem to have any greater risk of infection, though.  Latest RBC was 4.01. My PLT has always been low, in the 150's, and is around that now. I have great energy and am quite active, and haven't been sick since treatment.

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85

Do to our roll call we are not have any tamoxifen right ???? Well if I have a hysterectomy do to my BRCA2 I will need hormonal treatment ... That can cause recurrence???

So confuse ...

Sassa yes your right depending on type of BC .. To my your choice I had Bilateral mastectomy because I am BRCA2....