Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Most women will get breast cancer, Its not a big deal anymore

Options
123457»

Comments

• thatsvanity
    thatsvanity Member Posts: 51
    edited January 2012
    Options

I think it's the advocacy groups pink groups that make BC look like a walk in the park, but we know different on these boards. She is misinformed by the media and it's shroud of covering the truth of BC and all that goes with it.

• sweetbean
    sweetbean Member Posts: 433
    edited January 2012
    Options

Spot on, thatsvanity.  The pink groups make this look like we are in some sort of sorority.  It blows.

• Reality
    Reality Member Posts: 532
    edited January 2012
    Options

Oh yes, I am with you on that - I cannot bear to look at anything pink!  Noone knows until they have gone through it - It is not just the physical part that "blows", its the emotional part. I just finished rads. I am triple neg, so no hormone therapy - we just sit and wait - nope, not me, I want to do all I can - I want a preventive oophorectomy to begin with. I know I cannot have all my parts removed to prevent mets, but i have to do what I is in my control.

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2012
    Options

She's absolutely right....it's no big deal, that I lost both my breast and now look like a boy, that I lost my ovaries and now have no sex life with DH, that I'm on a med for the next 10 yrs that gives me aches and pains.  It's no big deal that I put poison in my body to kill it and now have SE from that, that I laid under a big gamma ray thingy and got zapped.  No biggy that I was 34 when all this happened, have two small kids, and now feel like a 80 year old.  It's no big deal that my life will forever be changed because I danced with the grim reaper and live in fear of my pains.    Nope, no big deal at all....to HER!  It didn't happen to her (yet (if she's a woman)) and God I pray it doesn't but that was rude.  I agree with vanity....they have made it out to be some bubblegum pink parade. 

Sorry, I went on a rant....I'm done now :) 

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited January 2012
    Options

I'm old enough now to look right at someone like that, put on my incredulous look and say......YOU F'ING MORON! And I wouldn't say F'ING.

• Reality
    edited January 2012
    Options

jennybog - no need to apologize - rant away. 

• Reality
    edited January 2012
    Options

jennybog - If I may, I would like to continue the rant with this - how about those of us who have children- is it no big deal that my heart aches every time I see my 31 year old daughter, knowing that I may have passed the BC genes on to her??? or to my beautiful, sweet 5-year-old granddaughter? Is it no big deal that I would rather have cancer all throughout my body than have my daughter have it anywhere?

• jennyboog
    jennyboog Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2012
    Options

I agree Amandagram....I have two daughters (5&3) and I'm BRCA+.  Just having BC alone would be bad enough knowing they might but being BRCA+ is an almost for sure they have it.  I have a lot of guilt from that and they've not even been tested yet.  My only hope is that a cure is available by then.

• justagirl
    justagirl Member Posts: 633
    edited January 2012
    Options

While I am happy for greater breast cancer prevention and awareness, I do believe all this BRIGHT PINK and rah rah rah  and walking, laughing and having breakfast in October is making people who don't have BC or are directly touched by it, anyway, some people, a little, ok, a lot, insensitive.

Anytime your or a loved ones life is threatened is a big deal and when you can not put that fear behind you, or to rest, that is a black cloud hanging over your life that you have to deal with every day.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited January 2012
    Options

Jennyboog, it is not "almost for sure" that they have the BRCA that you do - it is 50%. It is equally possible (the other 50%) that they inherited an intact gene sequence from their father.

Please, as hard as I know it is, try to enjoy raising them.

Leah

• ILBoysMom
    ILBoysMom Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2012
    Options

It is so comforting to hear that I am not the only BC survivor on this planet that just can't handle all this pink business.  I am so grateful for all the attention BC gets as it helps those of us who need treatment options, but I am tired of it being in my face.  Sometimes, I just start to have a day when I don't think about it and then there it is!  Some other moms at my kids' school want to organize a whole team to support me at the next Race for the Cure.  It just makes me cringe as I just don't want all that attention - especially all that attention because of cancer.  I would gladly participate if I could just blend in with the crowd, but how do you do that in a bright pink shirt with no hair!!!!!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited January 2012
    Options

It is really hard when people think most people will get breast cancer,its no big deal!!!!!!

well damn it we know better dont we??????

I have DD and DIL and 4 GDs...dont ya think i worry about them????????

Its just time to find a damn cure!!!!!!!!!

• KateHanni
    KateHanni Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2021
    Options

1 in 8 women will have breast cancer. That's by no means a majority. 70% of those will be hormone positive which has more treatment options than triple negative et. al. Hearing a cancer diagnosis is a shock and according to my physician friends the typical reaction is depression, shock, disbelief and it's a process to come to terms with it!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited October 2021
    Options

katehanni,

This is a dormant thread with no activity for over 9 years. Interesting topic however

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 252
    edited October 2021
    Options

Getting diagnosed with breast cancer is a big deal…to me.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2021
    Options

My diagnosis was a HUGE deal to me. Has this coworker been diagnosed? What an insensitive thing to say, IMO.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited November 2021
    Options

Rrobin,

This was a thread that had been inactive for nine years. Save for the few recent posts, most of those who posted years ago are no longer active members.