Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Adhesive TAPE - help need to find non-allergic

Options

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

saw these on the net. Anyone with skin issues try them? Someone in their comments said a competitor just came out with the silicone adhesive too and they were cheaper. So there is something else out there.

https://www.getwelly.com/products/assorted-delicate-skin-flex-bandages

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,111
    Options

Interesting Moon. I look at their web site & read the reviews. Thanks for posting.

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    Options

Thank you for the bump MinusTwo!!

• Trickling
    Trickling Member Posts: 295
    Options

@ MinusTwo, Monnflwr912, and EACH and EVERY poster and visitor

Keep up the sharing and researching! YES! Be sure to always carry with you the barrier product and adhesive tape (along with your face masks and gloves) that works for you. Be prepared to stand up for the products you need. Ignorance and bureaucracy are alive and well but our shared efforts are more far reaching than we realize.

For many more months, I expect to remain absent from posting. I am crippled. I will not only continue to receive therapy for my right knee but for what is commonly referred to as "frozen shoulder". I have a severe case of a frozen right shoulder. Even a little typing is very painful. I am sorry that my absence has become the center of attention. It is not my intent to be so. You are so very noble. Carry on without worrying about me, please.

}}} LOL {{{

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

Please be advised that even though Adhesive Tape allergy is posted in your medical records and the red arm band says allergies to alert others doesn't mean that 1) they will question what the allergy bracelet is for and 2) that they will read your medical record either for the allergy info. Post-procedure, once I recovered from anesthesia at home, I discovered that some idiot had put adhesive tape on my IV site after it was discontinued. By the time I discovered it, the blisters had already formed. So I took a photo, sent it to my MD via email and asked her to paste it to the front of my medical record. Scheduled for a procedure in 2 weeks so will have the conversation yet again!

Had a flu shot at a local walk-in clinic at CVS. They have their own red bandaids claiming "I had my flu shot" but they are not hypoallergenic. I had already had the discussion prior to the shot that I was allergic to adhesive tape and the NP was still going to put this bandaid on me. I stopped the NP, requested a hypoallergenic one and was told "they did not have them". I told the NP they sold them in the store, so how could they not have them? Was told they were available for sale but not in their minute clinic! So I got a cotton ball with a smidgen of paper tape which I promptly took off as soon as I was out of sight. You need to remain vigilant even with these supposed safety measures in place.

• minustwo
    Options

Betrayal - that's exactly what I do when confronted w/no Hypafix or Medipore. Cotton ball and a tiny bit of paper tape for a very short period of time.

Good heavens Tricking. So sorry to hear about your knee & your shoulder. After I broke my arm and the docs decided to immobilize for 6 week instead of cast, I had severe frozen shoulder. I was in PT for at least two months, and that was just the start. Don't worry about answering since I'm sure it hurts to type, but yes - of course - we will be worrying about you. Hang in there.

• moonflwr912
    Options

trick , youll be in my prayers! I hope they can do something for you.

Betrayal, i hope your procedure goes well. Praying fir you to.

Minus, keep on trucking! LOL

Blessings and much love to all

• Trickling
    Options

Happy 4th Everyone!

Thanks for all your well wishes. LOL I am beginning to feel improvement re my frozen right shoulder.

I subscribe to this excellent history channel and thought you'd all (vegans included) appreciate this (13:46 min) episode: A

History of American Barbecue

• Trickling
    Options

HEED these true life stories! THANK YOU so much Betrayal!

Please, everyone, continue to post and surely shout out your experiences, here and everywhere.

}}} HUGS {{{

• minustwo
    Options

bumping for those of you who are discovering they have tape issues.

Really - find some Hypafix or Medipore and carry it with you. Do read these pages. There's a wealth of knowledge.

• Trickling
    Options

Bumping for each and everyone persisting in being alert and speaking out about allergies to adhesives as a real and serious medical issue.

ALSO, know that I continue to keep you close to my heart and join you in your energy flows. A few minutes ago, I saw the headline about the 7 states that are beyond a doubt hot beds for Covid-10. Unfortunately, there are others competing for the title.

Extra special best wishes for you, Moonflwr912. YOU are in the middle of it all in Wisconsin!

?? Has anyone tried the TAPE version of the product posted by Moonflwr912 on May 28, 2020?

LOL

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling - good to see you and hope all is OK. No, fortunately I haven't had any "bumps in the road" so have not tried any new adhesive products.

Moon - did you try and can you update us?

• Trickling
    Options

Bumping

ALSO, finding that the BBC NEWS is giving the best coverage that the election results are finally projected.

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling - I hate to day it, but "as usual". Hooray for BBC.

• minustwo
    Options

Bumping for HappyAnyway

• Trickling
    Options

Hello and HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Everyone!

Despite it being my favorite holiday, Covid-19 restrictions have meant that on the big day I ate alone and stayed in my senior independent apartment this year. At least I had the joy of not only making one of my favorite dishes, BUTTERNUT SQUASH, but of dropping off some of it for a fellow friendly resident.

Today, falls well within this long holiday. Yes, for me, Amazon is part of it. However, if you are interested in what I consider a special Thanksgiving gift that has come my way, read on.

As usual, though I have made butternut squash many times, I surfed YouTube in the hope of finding some new tweaks. I did end up with a tasty butternut squash amalgamation of several recipes with a last minute addition or two of my own. However, here's sharing with you the following 2 unforgettable links of the Thanksgiving gift that is hilarious but also courageous and inspiring. The second link took a while for me to find and was only possible because of someone sharing in a comments section. So you see, my posting is simply an invitation to a grand chain of sharing. LOL

>>> HILARIOUS (video):

>>> COURAGEOUS and INSPIRING (text): http://titlisbusykitchen.com/titlis-absence-explained

• minustwo
    Options

Trickling - loved the video, and the recipe. I'll be trying that this winter. Yes, that's definitely enough food for two. Maybe I'll try it with a small Acorn squash. Would you mind if I post the link on the dinner thread?

Happy Thanksgiving back to you. Strange year. I was going to take a small pork loin out of the freezer, but ended up having delicious chicken fried rice. Today I'm making rice pudding with the rest of the cold rice. And a lime jello 'salad' with avocados, celery & cashew nuts.

Putting Covid aside (which is impossible to do), how are you liking your senior independent apartment? I have a friend who moved into one a couple of months before the virus started and there seemed to be something going on all day & evening if you wanted to join in. I think of you often and hope you are OK.

• Trickling
    Options

@ Minus Two

RECIPE LINKS VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Sure! Post the link wheresoever you wish. Unless I qualify links, I consider them flung out far and wide.

I find it best to leave 1/4 inch of raw flesh inside the skin to better maintain the form of the squash. Did I mention that I used GOUDA cheese, which I shredded? I think GOUDA cheese goes so well with BUTTERNUT squash.

?? Did you know that the SKIN of roasted BUTTERNUT squash is yummy EDIBLE? I placed the squash on parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet type of tray = easy clean--up. I had no trouble placing my prepared butternut squash in my toaster oven which can hold a 12 inch pizza.

TIP for those who find CUTTING SQUASHES a challenge:VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

1. Wash the squash which should be able to fit in your microwave WITHOUT having been cut.
    2. Puncture it a few times with a fork.
    3. Place the punctured WHOLE squash on a microwaveable dish.
    4. Microwave it for around 4 or so minutes = NOT COOKED but now soft enough to CUT EASILY with a big enough sharp knife. Getting it soft enough to cut does not take long.
    5. Stuff or otherwise prepare the cut squash.
    6. Place the prepared squash on a parchment paper covered tray in an oven or in a microwave to finish cooking.
    7. Mmmmmm . . .

YOUR MEAL VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Sounds goood! And JELLO done in any shape or way = ALWAYS up my alley.

SENIOR INDEPENDENT APARTMENT VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I am very happy to have a studio apartment with a vinyl type of hardwood floor. The flooring was a major factor in my choice of inexpensive well located senior buildings. We have 13 floors. You guessed it: the 13th floor is labeled SOLARIUM-LAUNDRY!

Your friend is fortunate to have an activity minded arrangement with willing residents. Prior to Covid-19, our community room areas were not much used save for a weekly "3:00 PM coffee hour". Physically, the potential for a variety of communal activities exists; however, despite the attempts of some residents, communal activities haven;t had much of a successful history. Alas! Covid-19 may be a big reenforcer for the continuation of the status quo. ON THE OTHER HAND, I hope that the eventual demise of Covid-19 will encourage active steps toward communal interaction so keenly made front and center of the pandemic.

I do hope you have a neighborhood that has responded in many positive innovative ways to Covid-19.

• minustwo
    Options

Oh well no on the neighborhood. Texas is a RED state and people are proud of their right not to have to wear masks. And to stand fast that the virus is "fake news" and people who died only had the flu. Makes it hard for older people to protect themselves.

I'll make a list of some of the things they do at my friends independent living place.

Yum = Gouda. I have leftovers to get through but will be trying the squash in December. Thanks for the cutting tips.

• Trickling
    Options

@ Minus Two I picture you going about your ordinary necessary public activities as a shining example of a knight with with cloth mask of armor clamped down in place amid the raging/gossiping Covid-19 carriers without masks . . . Recently, I saw an article where an emergency room nurse shared heart rendering account after account of patients refusing to their dying breath to acknowledge Covid-19 as their terminal disease .

On a more upbeat note: I am looking forward to how your December "squashing" goes (while some of us squish squash in snow slush).

You are not going to believe it -- I can hardly believe it, myself -- but this afternoon a video about JELLO popped up on my screen while I was finishing an article that had nothing to do with JELLO. Here's the link:

The Rise And Fall Of Jell-O (7:58 min) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ye7MAGoaeo

• Trickling
    Options

@ Minus Two I picture you going about your ordinary necessary public activities as a shining example of a knight with with cloth mask of armor clamped down in place amid the raging/gossiping Covid-19 carriers without masks . . . Recently, I saw an article where an emergency room nurse shared heart rendering account after account of patients refusing to their dying breath to acknowledge Covid-19 as their terminal disease .

On a more upbeat note: I look forward to how your December "squashing" goes.

You are not going to believe it -- I can hardly believe it, myself -- but this afternoon a video about JELLO popped up on my screen while I was finishing an article that had nothing to do with JELLO. Here's the link:

The Rise And Fall Of Jell-O (7:58 min) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ye7MAGoaeo

• minustwo
    Options

Love the jello review. Thanks. I actually made jello for Thanksgiving - but it was whipped with a little mayo and then added avocados, celery, cashew nuts and crushed pineapple.

• Trickling
    Options

That does it! I will be making JELLO this coming weekend.

• Trickling
    Options
  • moonflwr912
    Options

Merry Christmas!

• minustwo
    Options

Back at ya Trickling and Moonflower. Hope you & your friends & families are all well. Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season. Hoping for peace in the new year.

• NotAsCalmAsILook
    NotAsCalmAsILook Member Posts: 133
    Options

never had a problem with adhesives until I started down this cancer path. Now I react to every freaking thing.

Woke up after procedure with leads stickers still attached... but not plugged in being monitored. So even though surgeon knew about reactions, and used a safe alternative for incision, so many extra itchy spots.

I worry the more I react, the more the sensitivity intensifies, the more I react to...

Has anyone had a decrease in sensitivity

• minustwo
    Options

Yes - Every year I get older my skin is more sensitive. Part of that is because skin thins as we age. But bandages from cancer surgeries were the worst. No - it doesn't get better, only worse.

• Trickling
    Options

@ NotAsCalmAs Like it or not? The way it should be or not? Bottom line = Continue to hang in there advocating for yourself (which automatically includes all of us - thanks for sharing on this thread). I have found honest ignorance and dishonest fixed-in-stone approaches are not something that automatically disappear even in the presence of clear facts to the contrary.

I hope you find some products that go a long way in addressing your allergic reactions. On the one hand, thanks to those who have shared on this thread, I have found properly applied 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film (swab sticks) works for me. On the other hand, with rare exceptions, I have not found medical departments willing to communicate with other medical departments to facilitate addressing the adhesive sensitivity problem.

If you do find a product or two that help you, be prepared to have to purchase them on your own. Do try to always carry a minimal supply of them with you even when you are visiting a medical professional as it is not unusual to discover that what you need is not available to you. Be prepared as this predicament can and will arise even if you have alerted the medical staff beforehand.

I get my 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film (swab sticks) from Amazon.

Here's wishing you relief, SOON.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

I started reacting to Tagaderm dressings a few months ago. We've switched to IV3000 for port access for my infusions & so far it's working well. But if people know of any other similar hyper allergenic dressings I'm all ears in case I start reacting to the IV3000.

The other thing I'd add is that if you're getting reactions, be sure that everyone waits for the skin disinfectants (the swabs of chlorhexidine or povidone iodine etc) to be completely dry before the dressing is applied. Ime if it wasn't fully dried I was more likely to get a reaction. Also most of the swabs say you have to let them air dry naturally for 1-2 minutes - which seems a long time when an RN is waiting to continue the procedure! And you're not supposed to wave air over them or anything to speed up drying.