Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any ladies from WISCONSIN??

Options

Comments

• bluewillowskys
    bluewillowskys Member Posts: 268
    edited June 2011
    Options

I know I am not spelling it right, but a nurse checked my skin Thursday and said i have the start of folliculitis ? Something about hair follicles that are inflamed. But no actual "sunburn" pinkness yet. I have been using lotion 1-2 times a day. And yes I do feel better having spoke up for myself :)

I was going to mention that end of July I will be having a fundraiser yard sale for Walk with GRACE. Its a local charit here that does a night time walk lit up by luminaries and all proceeds go to cancer elimination and local cancer patients. I have a Team that will be walking and then we also are doing the yard/bake sale and a dog wash for donations. If anyone has gently used items they would like to donate for the sale I would be glad to give them a new home for you.

Also we have raffle tickets that are $10 each with prizes of up to $1000. Also the luminaries are $5. With the luminaries you decorate them in honor of someone who has/had cancer or in memory of someone who passed on from cancer. If anyone would like the raffle tickets or luminaries they can private message me and I can give further info.

• AnneWisc
    AnneWisc Member Posts: 338
    edited June 2011
    Options

Oh man, talk about serendipity!  Do I ever have some items to donate!  My husband and I have only been married a couple years and are still trying to pare down two households into one smallish condo.  We have more stuff than we know what to do with.  

When is the night-time walk?  I usually don't do these walk/run things, for the simple reason that I can't run and only with a mobility device (that's "walker," to you) do I walk.  You ever hear the proverb, "I cursed my fate because I had no shoes ... until I met a man who had no legs."

Anyway the luminaries sound very nice, I would like to see that.  Is it in RC?  

I also know a lady in Reedsburg who lost a sister to cancer recently, and might like to participate. 

• bluewillowskys
    edited June 2011
    Options

Yes the walk will be at Krouskup Park here in Richalnd Center on August 12th. For the walk, people just walk around the track as many times as they would like and view the luminaries all lit up. If anyone would like to walk and join my Team (Lisa's Angels of Hope) the T-shirts are $10-12 each depending on the size. We will have a "booth" set up where our team members can sit on lawn chairs when they want a break.

The luminaries are plain white paper sacks that you decorate and they place tealights in them I believe. If someone wopuld like a luminary but doesnt want to try here to get it, they can always send me the $5 and my daughter who just graduated can decorate it for you. I also can mail out the raffle tickets to anyone who would like them.

• bluewillowskys
    edited June 2011
    Options

OH and if people want to donate items for the sale they can bring them to my home in July or i can possibly meet Madison area folks and pick them up.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2011
    Options

yay Lisa, so glad you got some answers from your doc and also found a ride. 

Would you be interested in paperback books for a garage sale?  I would have lots to donate.

Anne, if you get to RC for the Walk with Grace event, let me know.  I live about an hour away.  Lisa, I would be honored to sponsor a luminaria for you.  If your daughter would decorate it, that would be great.  Please PM me your mailing addy.  http://demo.walkwithgrace.com/

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!  {{hugs}} to all

• bluewillowskys
    edited June 2011
    Options

Yes books would be great. Anything we are not able to sell will be donated to our local Goodwill. SO either way its goes for a good cause:) Thanks for the offer of sponsoring a luminary for me, but my daughter already is making me one. If there is someone else though you would like to honor or even one for yourself that would be great :)

• badger
    edited June 2011
    Options

OK thanks, I sent you a PM.  There are several people at work who will have books so I'll be in touch about how to get them to you.  Just last week I donated a bunch of old textbooks to Goodwill.  Who wants big thick outdated hard-cover textbooks from the 1980's when I went to college?  Goodwill does!  What they can't sell in a retail store, they can sell by the pound.  And believe me, that was a heavy box.

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,195
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi Wisconsin Ladies,

I'm from Milwaukee and had pbmx diep flap surgery in December, then stage 2 about 4 weeks ago.  My oldest son will be going to UW Madison in the fall, so I expect plenty of trips across that part of the state at least.  I can't wait to go to a Badgers game...I only went once, probably 30 years ago.

Have a great day! 

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hey ZOGO: I'm having my treatment at Froedtert - did you see their magazine cover story for May on the DIEP procedure? My plastic surgeon's picture is on page 8. 

• AnneWisc
    edited June 2011
    Options

Welcome, Zogo.

Bluewillowskys, I will have lots of contributions to your yard sale, include some antiques/collectibles.  Do you have any ideas how to get "stuff" from Portage to Richland Center?  We have more than would fit into our SUV.  How is it getting into Madison for your treatments?  Did that ride come through for you?

• bluewillowskys
    edited June 2011
    Options

Welcome zogo :) Nice to have you here:)

Anne: WOW thats really wonderful ! My son's car is not very reliable and is in need of brakes so I dont like taking it very far...which is another reason i dont like taking it  to the UW. I am not sure what to suggest for getting the "stuff" here. The sale wont be until my treatment is done, probably the last 2 weekends of July. So theres plenty of time . I will gladly give you some money for the gas if you have to make 2 trips ,since I have a bunch of gas vouchers I can use for my own gas. I would suggest putting some price stickers on anything worth more then a dollar or two...I want to make sure we make a fair price from things since its for charity. Most people wont mind paying a bit more for that reason:)

I have a couple drivers so far and the ladies seem very nice. Definitely makes things better then driving there and falling asleep alone. Todays driver was quite talkative. Her son passed in January from a  battle with stomach cancer that had spread all over. I am so appreciative that these drivers volunteer their time to helppeople getto their appointments. For the time being I am going to stick to my "standardof care rads." since i Have the drivers help.

• bluewillowskys
    edited June 2011
    Options

Welcome zogo :) Nice to have you here:)

Anne: WOW thats really wonderful ! My son's car is not very reliable and is in need of brakes so I dont like taking it very far...which is another reason i dont like taking it  to the UW. I am not sure what to suggest for getting the "stuff" here. The sale wont be until my treatment is done, probably the last 2 weekends of July. So theres plenty of time . I will gladly give you some money for the gas if you have to make 2 trips ,since I have a bunch of gas vouchers I can use for my own gas. I would suggest putting some price stickers on anything worth more then a dollar or two...I want to make sure we make a fair price from things since its for charity. Most people wont mind paying a bit more for that reason:)

I have a couple drivers so far and the ladies seem very nice. Definitely makes things better then driving there and falling asleep alone. Todays driver was quite talkative. Her son passed in January from a  battle with stomach cancer that had spread all over. I am so appreciative that these drivers volunteer their time to helppeople getto their appointments. For the time being I am going to stick to my "standardof care rads." since i Have the drivers help.

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,195
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome!  

vlnrph, yes, I received the Froedtert magazine and was so happy to see the article on the cover.  Dr. H. is an incredible man. I gave him congratulations for being in the article and he was so humble....My favorite doctor, by far!  I even took him cookies for his kids =)  Did you have the diep and where are you in treatment? 

• badger
    edited June 2011
    Options

good morning ladies and welcome zogo!

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 487
    edited June 2011
    Options

My hair just started coming out, 2 weeks after first chemo. Not in clumps, just individual strands. Had it cut short on Monday so there would not be as much to vacuum up, clog the shower drain, etc. Look resembles the curly blonde mop I had in elementary school. Still too thick for a proper wig fitting which means going back to the salon next week.

All my doctors are pictured on the two page spread in the middle of the Froedtert Clinical Cancer Center 2011 annual report (both surgeons and the oncologist). DIEP went well, even though the sentinel node appeared OK, further pathology showed abnormal cells which meant another procedure to check the rest of them=all negative. Now I'm also getting physical therapy to regain strength and range of motion in the arm.

Lisa, great you're getting help with the transportation! Thinking back to my days as a pharmaceutical company sales rep, I wonder if there are any people going between the different towns who would pick up & bring donations to you. Maybe the local hospital keeps contact information on these folks and someone could call them. Never hurts to ask... 

• kll22
    kll22 Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2011
    Options

Happy Friday ladies! 

One infusion down, three more to go.  So glad to be moving forward again.  The waiting is horrible and I tend to blow things out of proportion when I have too much "thinking time." 

VLNRPH - I loved your description of your hair blowing away in the wind.  What a beautiful way to let it go!

Here's hoping for some sun and warm weather tomorrow!

• badger
    edited June 2011
    Options

hey ladies, happy Friday! 

congrats Kristin, IMHO the first infusion is the hardest.

Mary, my hair came out at 14 days post-first chemo too.  I had been using my regular shampoo up to that point, but started using Nioxin once it started coming out.  Used it until the bottle was gone.  Stuff cost like fifteen bucks at the salon, you bet I was gonna use it up.  My hair came back in nice and thick so maybe it was the shampoo, maybe not. 

Looks like a nice day on tap for tomorrow.  Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

• bluewillowskys
    edited June 2011
    Options

Day number 18 of radiation...just started to pink up and have some nipple area soreness yesterday. Decided i better start lotioning up 3 times a day now. Going to get out and enjoy the weather tomorrow with a trip to the Zoo with my best friend of almost 14 years. She has been pretty uninvolved in the way of supporting me my past few months of  surgery/treatment or spending any quality time with me. We argued last week about that fact and she admitted she has not been much if a friend and says she is going to make a concerted effort to be more supportive and spend some time with me. She is going to drive with me to treatment Monday too :)  Have my final divorce hearing to prep for thats on next Tuesday before I go to genetic testing and then rads.

Everyone get out and enjoy the weekend, its gonna be a great one !

• pebee
    pebee Member Posts: 96
    edited June 2011
    Options

well... I am done with chemo - now I am in the pause before surgery - then radiation......

A question - does anyone know of  a good intergrative regular doctor - one who works both the Eastern and Western side of medicine?  For example, I want to start taking some supplements after I am done with this - but I need someone knowledgeable......

I am in Kenosha - can do Milwaukee or Madison.... 

• badger
    edited June 2011
    Options

pebee, congrats on being PFC (post final chemo).  It is a good feeling!  Sorry no help with docs in your part of the state.

Lisa, hope you enjoyed the zoo, it was a perfect weather!  I was busy this weekend gathering items for the garage sale.  Got more to do, so maybe in a couple of weeks, we can meet up in Madison or I'll make a trip to RC with some boxes.  Will be in touch about possible dates.

Dawn, thinking of you and sending good wishes for this week.

Hope everyone got a chance to enjoy the nice weather!  {{hugs}} to all

• AnneWisc
    edited June 2011
    Options

3 out of 10 rads visits down, 7 to go

I went in without my DH today because he had to be home to let the housekeeper in.  I told him I would be fine without him.  I was, but I have to admit, it's SO MUCH NICER to go with somebody.  Kudos to you, Lisa BlueWillowSkys, for sticking with the program when you had such long drives and parking difficulty, besides.

On my way out of UW clinics I stopped at the coffee cart on the main floor and got a coffee and three pastry bites to go.  Shhh, I don't want to know how many calories that is, less than a full Danish would be in any case.  It lifted my mood.  Will remember that when I go alone, again, on Friday (DH has to work).

It's fabulous weather here in Wisconsin! 

• kll22
    kll22 Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2011
    Options

Congrats AnneWisc!  I love those milestones!  BTW - those calories don't count; they're celebratory.

• Faithroad
    Faithroad Member Posts: 165
    edited June 2011
    Options

Haven't been here in a while, just thought I'd say hi to the wonderful Wisconsinites!!!!  I wish I lived closer to you all.  I'm way over by the MN border, western wisconisn area. 

Roses sound nice AnneWisc...none in my neighborhood, but I can get some at the grocery store.  I just might do that this weekend.  On Tuesday, I'm having my implants removed, I'd like to buy myself a treat and roses would be nice!!  I love fresh cut flowers!!!

• badger
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi faithroad, nice 2c you here.  Best wishes for Tuesday... you deserve some roses!

• bluewillowskys
    edited July 2011
    Options

The radiologist agreed to change my treatment this week. I now have four boost treatments (five total) left next week. The ride program has changed so now I have to ride share with other patients. Today after my appt. we had to take someone home to Portage before I could be taken home. Added about 45 minutes extra to my trip, but it was nice to have a change of scenery. I have rides booked for next Tues/Wed. already but Thurs. my dad will go with me and Fri my best friend is going with so we can celebrate my last treatment. SInce the clinic is closed Monday for the holiday I get/and my skin gets a three day break this weekend WOOHOO!. I have LOTS of inflamed hair follicles and a fair amount of skin pinkness but its only itchy, not really painful yet. I hope it stays like it is.

After next week I can put my focus on getting back to work and working on my fundraiser sale ! I am praying the weather will be not too hot and definitely not rainy on the 23rd and 24th . If it rains i will do it the following weekend.

• badger
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hey Lisa, great news.  WOO HOO for being done Friday!

Been hot the past few days so getting in early morning walks, it's cooler before the sun comes up.  Afternoons I stayed in and cleaned out closets and drawers, geez how many t-shirts does one person need?  There's lots of good stuff for the garage sale.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying cool. Cool

• AnneWisc
    edited July 2011
    Options

Lisa you go, grrl!  (okay, coming from an old lady like me, that does sound silly ...)

I'm just so happy for you that you arranged what you needed for yourself.

Am thinking of renting a truck to get my stuff from Portage to RC ... I'll send you a PM so we can talk by phone.  Your sale comes at a great time for me to move a LOT of merchandise.  Just hoping I can stand up to the heat. 

• Faithroad
    Faithroad Member Posts: 165
    edited July 2011
    Options

Thanks Badger - I usually see you on the "movie" thread!!!  You have a creative mind, always coming up with interesting titles!

BlueWillow - Friday will be your last treatment?  Whahoo!  That's wonderful!!!

• bluewillowskys
    edited July 2011
    Options

Thanks ladies for the WOO HOOS...lmao  I havent felt in this good of mood in awhile...knowing there is an end to the tunnel feels really good. Also I am getting a second wind because of prepping for the GRACE yard sale. Thanks to the ladies who are donating items ! Once I am finished with the rads i will be taking a week to recoup, then its yard sale full steam ahead . Weather permitting I will be putting out items  the last three weekends in July on any dry day since I am at home everyday.

For anyone with furniture or unusal or  good size items please let me know what you have by JULY 14th so I can mention those items in the newspaper ad and classified online ads.

Thanks ladies and have a rockin' 4th of July !!!

Lisa

• bluewillowskys
    edited July 2011
    Options

Has anyone had decreased appetite with rads ? The past 2 days i have felt very weak, no appetite, very low energy. Tried to force my self to eat and but just made myself sick. Cant seem to relax and actually rest :(