Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Member of the "6 Month Watchful Waiting Club", Unite!

Options

Comments

• Charlotte-jane
    Charlotte-jane Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    Options

I had my 6 month u/s this week, and I needed another bx. Usually all the bxs have been on right breast, but this time it is the left one.  Radiologist suspects ADH, but we will wait and see.  She did mention that ADH is now seen as a true precursor of DCIS, and DCIS is a precursor of IDC, and not just a marker (like LCIS).  This does not mean, according to her, that all women with ADH will necessarily get bc, and studies are trying to determine which ADH does in fact become bc, but she did state that ADH is no longer seen as just a marker.

Anyway, I should be getting the results of the bx sometime next week, so I am hoping for b9.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited October 2012
    Options

For those of you alternating mammograms & MRIS, are you getting a screening or diagnostic mammogram?

• awb
    awb Member Posts: 213
    edited October 2012
    Options

Melissa---my doctors always write for diagnostic mammos; since I have past the 5 year mark, the last few years the techs have questioned me about it the need for it (versus screening).  They don't really understand when I start to explain LCIS to them and the rationale behind the need for diagnostics. But I have learned to advocate for myself and tell them that is what my doctor wants and that is what he ordered.

anne

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited October 2012
    Options

My docs won't give MRIs, they are very stingy!! So I always have diagnostic mammos. They are happy if things "flatten out" meaning they assume nothing is cooking in the dense areas..guess we'll see if they're right! I have to admit that I worry about the amount of pictures they take and the radiation, it seems excessive every 6 months. On the other hand, I feel happy when they take so many pictures and tell me all looks well (at least they think = Birads 3). I begged for an MRI and was told no, so those of you who are able to get MRIs to peek in your dense areas, don't take those for granted.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2012
    Options

I was so aggravated yesterday. The appointment letter I received was for a diagnostic, but the order the breast center got was for a screening, which was what I got. I'll bet I end up having to go back...I don't have any choice in where I am receiving my care right now and this particular clinic does not have it together...

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited October 2012
    Options

I alternate every 6 months between MRIs and mammos.  I get screening mammos, which I'm fine with.  Because I have an implant in my breast, I normally get 4 pictures - two in each position, one with the implant in place and one with the implant pushed aside.  I have a history of breast cancer so if anything ever shows up that isn't clear or that appears suspicious, the tech talks to the radiologist who advises on taking extra pictures at different angles or doing a magnifed view or they pull me in for an ultrasound right away. I'm perfectly fine with that approach. Why have more rads than necessary?

• rosyFL
    rosyFL Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2012
    Options

Whats the difference between a screening or diagnostic mammo/sono?  Don't they all show the same information?

edited October 2012
    Options

Diagnostic usually takes more views from more angles and/or if there is an area of concern, they will take magnified views.  

• awb
    edited October 2012
    Options

rosy---they explanation they gave to me is that a screening mammo is 4 views (2 each breast), you get your results in the mail within 3 to 5 days (they call earlier if there is anything suspicious). A diagnostic mammo is 6 views (3 each breast, the last 2 with more compression); and it is read immediately by the radiologist while you wait. (then they can call you right back in if they need to do any further views or US.  Both types show the same basic information.

even after making sure they knew I was there for my yearly diagnostic, I think they only took the 4 views anyway. but they didn't show anything, so I'm OK with it. Like Beesie said, why have more radiation than necessary? They did have the radiologist read it right away while I waited.

anne

• rosyFL
    edited October 2012
    Options

Thanks for the explanations.  Now I know that all of my mammos have been diagnostic because I get many views taken each time, then I get a sono right after and the radiologist always talks to me before I leave. I've always had many, many cysts, some complex cysts, so I've had many mammos done, probably more that I would consider safe.   

This was the first time I got bad news, I could tell it wasn't good because my radiologist was having a hard time trying to explain what he saw.  He's been my radiologist for over 20 years and he knows my breast conditions really well.    Now I'll be going to a new place (new state) for my follow up because we moved and my heart is broken.  I hope I will have a good radiologist here too.  

• sarahsmom
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi Rosy! I am so sorry you are moving and have to change teams. This has happened to me 4 times now since my first issue popped up in 2005. It will be okay! Any chance you can get back to see your original team just once a year, maybe visit friends, family etc as well? Sending you an understanding hug!!

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited October 2012
    Options

It is great to find this thread, I am already in this club, unfortunately. A long wait-see story as every of you, started this May 1st, my 1st screen mammography. Then put into six month club, actually four months left, really three months live in peace, a nice summer with my daughter. Then fall comes, another due is around the corner.

Thanks all of you, learning here, I know that most of the cases in this club are treatable. Good.

Also, I wonder if you have metal clips (the one from biopsies) in your body, did you feel any side effect due to this stuff? I wonder if some of you have several. I also have this dilemma, as a Chinese woman, I am pretty small in the breast, if cutting tissues samples through biopsies, I wonder if my breast will shrink, of maybe just directly go for surgery...

I lost 15 lbs since my call-back, I was a little obesity, now almost normal. I am 45 years old, live with my 7 years daughter, don't know if something really happens, how to deal with it.

Thanks for listening, my due is next month.

edited October 2012
    Options

Cathy, I'm small breasted and I've had lots of core needle biopsies - they don't reduce your breast size.  A surgical biopsy, when a chunk of breast tissue is removed, could affect breast size but often the breast tissue moves around and fills in the gaps and there is no noticeable difference. In any case, hopefully your 6 month follow-up in November will be all clear, and then you won't have to worry about metal clips and biopsies!  Good luck!

• sarahsmom
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi Cathy! I am sorry about your breast issues, ugh. I hope time goes by quickly for you until your next appointment and that all is well and you can go back to being in the 1 year club :-)  The 6 months in between can be tough, I try to stay really busy and as stress free as possible.  Lots of great ladies  out here to support you and pass along their wisdom and information, so just keep asking questions and let us know how your appointment goes. Sending you an understanding hug!

• cathy67
    edited October 2012
    Options

Thanks. It is great to know what is happening in this category. I pray for all the women here.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2012
    Options

Well, got my "your mammogram was o.k." letter today. I guess i can breathe again until April MRI time.

Of course, in the back of my head I'm thinking "yeah, right" about the mammogram...

• sarahsmom
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi Melissa! Maybe pick up a copy of the radiologist's report - I hate those stupid "everything is fine" letters - I've been led down the rosy path more than once! One time, the report said increasing calcs and a new area of density, Birads 3, and the letter said great mammo! Argh. Since baselines and understanding how things are changing is part of this watching stuff, I am heavy into details now and keeping track of trends. 

Sending you an understanding hug!!

• cathy67
    edited October 2012
    Options

Cheers! Hopefully I can have same result soon.

• melissadallas
    edited October 2012
    Options

Just called and left message asking for copy of my radiologists report.

• cathy67
    edited November 2012
    Options

Melissa,

Did you receive treatment for "LCIS"? I am really new to those birads 3 situations.

• melissadallas
    edited November 2012
    Options

Cathy,

Between 11/11 & 05/12 I had mammo, diagnostic mammo, ultrasound, stereotactic biopsy, punch lymph node biopsy, MRI & surgical biopsy. Oncology has refused to let me take Raloxifene sice I had a pulmonary embolism the year before with my ovarian cancer. Just starting my six month follow ups. MRI is scheduled for April.

• momoschki
    momoschki Member Posts: 218
    edited November 2012
    Options

Felt the need to report good news:  6 month mammogram could not be done as scheduled at NYU Langone, since they are still without power from the storm.  The anxiety was killing me, so I was fortunate to find a very well regarded private radiologist who did it for me today-- very short notice!  He did an US too, just to be safe.  Pronounced me "boring".  Hurray!

Here's to hoping the rest of the women in the 6 Month Club have very boring results, too!

• cathy67
    edited November 2012
    Options

Good. Enjoy your six month peaceful life.

• cathy67
    edited November 2012
    Options

Melissa,

I wonder how can one have a job if dealing with so many checkups every six month. I am hoping to get a job when my girl grows up, but since I fell into this group, I feel like it is impossible.

Carpediem,

When I read the statistics, it says less than 2% in this category is cancinoma. I don't know if Melissa's case is counted into. I don't know what does this 2% exactly mean for, does it include LCIS and DCIS?

I am in Vancouver, taking care of my child alone, my husband works in Seattle, that he visits us the weekend. I am talking to my husband, if something happens on me, I want to go back to China for treatment, cause I need my family to take care of me, and my girl also needs someone to take care. I don't know if something happens in this group, what treatment it may be, if it is just surgery, my husband can take one week off to take care, but if it is long term treatment, ... and I need very quick decision if I have to after I got my checkup result. Can not do any planning now, my husband and my close friend are bored of hearing me talk this, thanks for the sisters here.

• lamb
    lamb Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Options

So glad to hear good news. Congrats to u.!!!

• rosyFL
    edited November 2012
    Options

momoschki,

What wonderful news.

• awb
    edited November 2012
    Options

momoschki---great news!!!!!

Anne

• momoschki
    momoschki Member Posts: 218
    edited November 2012
    Options

Yes, thanks everyone, I am so relieved, as this group so uniquely understands. The situation this time was made that much more stressful by the hurricane, which has large portions of NYC still without power (including, unfortunately, the hospital where I get my screenings.) I feel do fortunate to have found a reputable radiologist who could do the mammogram & US on such short notice to give me the peace of mind I needed (at least until May, when the whole cycle begins again!)

• melissadallas
    edited November 2012
    Options

Cathy, I am currently only working part time.  My hours had been cut shortly before I became ill from the ovarian cancer. I have had SO many appointments and procedures in the last two years that there was no way I could consider applying for a full time job.  I would have had to take too many days off for a new hire.  Things are finally settling down.  I only have a few more quarterly gynecology oncology follow-ups and then can go to every six months. I don't have to go back to internal medicine until next year. Hopefully I can start doing something about the job situation come about February or March.  So grateful my parents have been able to assist me financially in the meantime.

• maiyen
    maiyen Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I should really be here in comparison to many of you who have been dealing with follow-ups for years (bless your hearts).  But I am awaiting my first 6 month follow-up which will be next week and just wanted to say hello and that you all are in my thoughts.