Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Microfat grafting or BRAVA doctor recommendations

Options

Comments

• Chicago1018
    Chicago1018 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Pixel -

I am also in Chicago and trying to find a surgeon that does the microfat grafting.  I came across Dr. Placik as well and am thinking about scheduling a consultation.  I'd love to go to Miami but it would be a big expense to take on . .but I don't want to be someone's first procedure either! 

I had recon with implants and an augmentaion on my non-bc side and i am so uncomfortable with the implant under my pectoral muscle.  Radiaition damaged my skin so much that I currently don't have sufficient skin for a nipple recon.  I was hoping the brava might help stretch out the skin as it has done for other people.

I'll be sure to cirlce back if I pull the trigger to schedule an appointment!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

Chicago- Definitely let us know!  Can't remember if I mentioned it or not but there is a separate site for fat graft information.  It's called fatgraftpatients.com and has lots of good information on the procedure as well as tips for coming in from out of town for the surgery.  I didn't have rads but I have heard the fat grafting can help radiated skin a lot.  Good luck!

• StaceyLynn
    StaceyLynn Member Posts: 11
    Options

MBJ: thanks

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    Options

chicago-  I would be grateful to hear your experience as well.  I am scheduled for exchange 9/01 but am very interested in this as I like the idea of using "me" and implants need to be replaced.  Maybe I'll go to Miami this summer! 

• lyndallhobbs
    lyndallhobbs Member Posts: 1
    Options
    OMG Have just found this forum...I have been to see Dr Cohen-to try to solve my nightmare problem after double mastectomy--two staoh infection sand now everything removed on left side so am flat---but it seems Dr Cohen has NOT used the Brava before and so --am I am looking for someone to do Dr Khouri's method of Brave first before fat transfer---does ANYONE KNOW OF ANY LA reconstruction surgeons who are familiar or have had experience doing what Dr Khouri does???

• Kate33
    Options

lyndallhobbs- Check out "kareenie's" post on June 6.  She lists some possible doctors you could check out.  One is doing augmentation with the Brava but may be doing recon as well.  Doesn't hurt to call and ask!  Good luck!

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Hi ladies.

I have been MIA for a while. I just have been crazy busy this summer. I am still not happy with my reconstruction and my ripples are even worse. I will post a bunch of pictures soon. I have contacted a few Dr's here in CT and found some that do Dr. K's method with the Brava. One Dr did a phone consult with me and thought my rippling was severe and she wants me to use the brava and do the FG. She also wondered if I have enough fat to even do the procedure. I told her I thought I did but I don't know how much they need.  She also thinks I could use alloderm and may have CC. The problem is she is not on my plan. I want to see a couple of these Dr's in the fall so I can get a clearer picture of FG and the brava FG and see if its truly right for me. I had another phone consult with a Dr who does Dr.K's method and he told me flat out to see Dr. K. He said they all do his method but for some reason it works better with him and he has more success. He asked me to forward my pics to him and then he never called me back. I'm starting to feel like a severe case when the Docs dont want to deal with it. Sigh, feeling very discouraged about it and just needed to take a break this summer. 

Kate how you doing? How are things looking now. It's been 2-3 months right? Are you happy? Do you think you are completely done now? 

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    Options

Lyndallhobbs - I couldn't find anyone in LA or SD who is doing the Brava/FG so I am going to Dr K in Miami. My first procedure is August 5.  I did go to see Cohen but didn't want to be the first Brava patient.  But he was willing....

Sweetie - is it possible for you to go to Miami to the "master"? If you send him pics he will look at them. Don't use Alloderm if you are going to do fat grafting. Dr K is against it....

• Kate33
    Options

sweetie- Sent you a PM!

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    Options

In Middletown NY,Dr.Mario Loomis is involved in the trials to get Brava FDA approved.He told me he would accept whatever my insurance would pay,my only cost would be for the Brava.Unfortunately there were a couple of reasons that the fat grafting would not work for me.There is also Dr.Blome in Ohio.His website is http://cosmeticsurgeryohio.com

• Chicago1018
    Options

Hey Robo47 - Dr Fine is my PS and I had all my treatment at Northwestern too.  I think Dr. Fine does the fat grafting for corrective reasons but he doesn't do the full breast the way dr. Khouri does.

I was dianosed November '09 and finished treatment in August '10.  I did chemo first, my MX and augmentation then rads.  I've been on tamoxifien for almost a year now. 

I just had my exchange surgery in February of this year.  Now that I've had some time after the exchange my MX side looks better than it did but I still am not totally happy.  The rads made my skin very thin so Dr. Fine doesn't think he can reconstruct a nipple for me without doing a flap of some sort.  I just can't see taking on a surgery like that now so I've been verry interested in the fat grafting.  My biggest complaint is that I don't have great symetry out of clothes and that the implant is uncomfortable under my pec muscle.  I think if I had a smaller implant it would be more comfortable but who knows!

I am considering getting a second opinion from another PS. The only one who I think might do the FG in chicago is dr. Otto Placik. I'd love to get to Miami but not sure it will work out.

Who is your onco at NW? I saw Dr. Cianfrocca (who recently left the practice) and now I se Dr. Kaklamani.

• Kate33
    Options

I was talking with member, sweetie2040, who has been doing her own research trying to find FG doctors in her area.  This is her experience with a few of them and she said I could copy and paste what she sent to me.

I did a google search for Dr's who did FG in my area and here is what I found:

Dr David Greesnpun- I emailed his office and he gave me a phone consult and suggested I see Dr. Khouri. I emailed him pictures and he never got back to me. He said he does the brava but feels Dr. K has the highest success rate. I think he has offices in CT and NY.

Dr.Julie Vasile-she also gave me a phone consult and viewed my pictures. She does the BRAVA. She has offices in Long Island and Stamford CT. She seemed really nice but is not on my insurance plan. Since she is in NY so she may be close enough for Jessica. Her Stamford office is 203-965-0656

Dr. Anya Kishinevsky- Fairfield Ct (not far from NY) 203-656-9999. She came recommended by a member on here. I emailed her and she replied to my questions via email. I am trying to set up an appointment with her but her assistant has not returned three of my calls and email?? Don't know whats up with that, but I do want to meet with her because of the recommendation. She is out of network for me also.

Dr. Beth Collins-Guilford,CT 203-689-5295 New Haven area,not far from NY either. I called there today and have an appt with her in mid Sept. She does a FG tecnique called "restore" You can read about it on her website. I'm not sure if she uses the brava as it didn't say on her website, but it sounds like she does something like it. She is in network for me so I will see her first.

I just thought I'd pass it on for those of you trying to find someone in the NY/CT area.  Some of these may have already been mentioned up above. 

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Kate -I spoke with Dr. Kishinevsky today after emailing her my pictures. She did a brief phone consult with me and I set up an appt with her. She seems confident about doing FG. In my case I have other issues going on as well.

• Kate33
    Options

sweetie- Glad she finally got back to you.  Keep me posted! :)

• Squishon
    Squishon Member Posts: 7
    Options

Anyone have any doctor recommendations for Northern California that does BRAVA?  I had necrosis after a flap procedure and am looking at all my options.  Thanks!

• Chicago1018
    Options

Hi Robo,

Dr. Fine didn't offer the option for the 3-D tatoos to me actually.  I read about them after the fact and thought they might be an option.  I have about 400 CC's in my left side.  I was about an "a" cup when I started my treatment but I augmented the right side to achieve better symatry so i am about a "B" now.  The aug side feels fine. . .100% normal but my left side is still tight and painful. . .esp if I exercise (which I do frequently).  I have a lot of pain in my left shoulder which I suspect is from the fact that the pec muscle is locked down over this implant.  I did physical therapy but the minute I stopped the shoulder pain came back.  It isn't dibilitating. . .more like a constant, annoying reminder of the recon. 

I eneded up calling Dr. Placik for a consult and his office was less than helpful.  They asked why I wanted to come in to see him and then told me I would have to pay 100% out of pocked and then go for reimbursement on my own.  I explained I wanted to see Dr. P becasue he did the fat graft and I was a rcon patient and he said it didn't matter.  It was almost like they were trying to discourage me from coming in.  Very strange.

I hope you are well. . .for me the time leading up to chemo was almost worst than the chemo itself. . .fear of the unknown!

• Kate33
    Options

Squishon- Sorry no one's come along with a northern CA recommendation.  You might trying checking out BRAVA's website.  I think there are physician referrals on there.

• kareenie
    Options

Squishon - I had my first fatgraft procedure with Dr. K in Miami last week 8/5/11.  He was training several doctors one was a woman from Palo Alto.  I'll see if I can get her name...

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    Options

Let me know if you hear of any doctors from Toronto being trained

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options

Chicago - thank you for that article link - very helpful!!! 

• dustylady
    dustylady Member Posts: 1
    Options

hi robo47: 

You were wondering if fat grafting could be done on BMX...Yes.  I had a BMX 6/10.  I went to Dr. K in Miami...I was about a small B originally...he completed my R in two sessions...now a large B or small C...The left was irradiated years ago..so is coming along slower.  I believe my surgery on 9/21/11 will be the last for the left side (hoping).  I was amazed at how much feeling returned.  They feel very comfortable and just like my originals...except the left still has a couple of numb areas.  I imagine this next round of fat will change that.  I am not a really large person, so was worried about the fat supply...has worked out great so far...I'm 5'2" and about 110-114 lbs.   

• kareenie
    Options

Squishon - This lady was in training with Dr Khouri last week -- Dr. Lauren Greenberg in Palo Alto.  She already has a post in her blog telling how excited she is about fat grafting.

Please let us know if you talk to her and what she says.

• pixelsupply
    pixelsupply Member Posts: 16
    Options

Dr. Otto Placik, Chicago IL

Went to see him and liked him alot. He knew of all the current procedures, had already done some procedures and said he liked to find the best fit for what the client needs.  His office is not very medical and more spa like which is different from my care at UCH. He discussed everything thoroughly, was very knowledgeable and forthcoming even about costs! And they do take insurance for reconstruction despite what the receptionist and website say.  I have to wait a few months after radiation and if I don't like what my current PS suggests I will be going to Dr. Placik.

• Chicago1018
    Options

Pixel -

I am shocked!  They all but told me that I couldn't schedule an appointment.  I wonder if the receptionist acts as a 'gatekeeper' or something.  I am so glad you got in and he was helpful. 

Chicago

• pixelsupply
    Options

Chicago

Great article! Thanks for posting.

• pixelsupply
    Options

Chicago,

I actually scheduled an appointment via email. And the consult is free! I don't know why they didn't talk to you. Maybe try the website? Weird!

• Kate33
    Options

This was posted on the fat grafting thread by whippetmom-

A Beverly Hills plastic surgeon who is using the BRAVA method...http://www.drtrott.com/breast-augmentation-without-implants.html
  • whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Options

Bump

• chatsworthgirl
    chatsworthgirl Member Posts: 197
    Options

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 9th.  I had a lumpectomy then a re-excision and then was told that the cancer was multi focal or multi centric and that a bi lateral mastectomy was the best option.  I had cancer in the sentinel lymph node.    I will be having the bi lateral within the next two weeks.  I have done a lot of research and have read many discussions on this web site which has enabled me to learn things that otherwise I would not have known.  Among them was the cold for chemo including the caps, vitamins etc. and most importantly the fat grafting for recon.

I was going to have recon at the time of mastectomy but when I read so many women's reports, on other sites as well, of the terrible problems with implants and flap procedures I decided to cancel my appointment with the plastic surgeon who would be performing the implant surgery.

I have been in contact with Dr. Khouri's office and am in the process of getting all the insurance data to them in preparation.  Since I live in Los Angeles I was interested in finding a local PS who would do this procedure as I learned that he had trained some.  It happens that Lauren Greenberg in Palo Alto had trained with Dr. K and on her website talks about her excitement and her training.  I will be callilng her today to find out if she is able and willing to do the total reconstruciton with fat grafting technique since this would be much easier for me to travel to Palo Alto.

Also if possible I would like to speak to one of the women here who have had the fat grating with Dr. K.  I can give you my email and then phone number.