Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Microfat grafting or BRAVA doctor recommendations

Options

Comments

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

Eileen- From what I've research about fat grafting the amount of discomfort afterwards seems to be directly related to a) what areas of the body they are taking the fat from, b) how good of shape you are going in, and c) the method of liposuction the doctor is using.  I've heard some say they are barely bruised afterwards and others (like myself) who look like they were run over by a Mac truck.  I'm just not sure what is different, though.  The PS I just consulted with uses something called SAFE lipo which, supposedly, creates less trauma to the body.  I don't know what kind Dr. Khouri uses but I definitely had some trauma.  There's also the issue of all the drainage afterwards from every lipo site.  It's just not.....well, pretty for awhile.  For me, personally, it was the hardest of most of my surgeries but everyone is different and every doctor is different.  I definitely think you'd be ready to go back to work in a few weeks, though.  You'll probably just feel a little sore.  I found it got worse if I sat for long periods of time so if you have a desk job just get up and move as much as you can.

Kathy- The biggest appeal for me for fat grafting is not having to have any implants replaced down the road, either.  One thing that surprised me, though, during my consult with Dr. Suzanne Trott is she told me it is a myth that we have to have them replaced someday.  She said she has patients who have had theirs for 40+ years.  She said what can happen is you develop capsular contracture after many years where the shell around the implant starts to harden.  She said if this doesn't happen there's no reason to replace.  She's the first doctor who has ever told me that, though.  I thought it was a given that our implants have to be replaced around 15-20 years.  Did your neice say why she had to have hers replaced? 

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    Options

kate 33

as always--thanks for the information.  eileen

• leeinfl
    leeinfl Member Posts: 46
    Options

Eileen - I'm one of the ones who felt the lipo discomfort wasn't a big deal.  For me, it felt like super, intense muscle soreness.  Difference to the "real" muscle soreness though is that it takes longer to resolve.  I was back at work about a week after the first session, which was more involved since that is where the implants were exchanged and a lot of pocket work was done.  The other times, I was back at work within days.  If you aren't already a member, hop on over to fatgraftpatients.com to read other ladies' experience and to see their photos.  Like Kate said, every person is different and the area the fat is taken does indeed make a difference.  Most ladies report that stomach and legs are easiest.  Personally, legs were easy for me, lower back (muffin top) was most painful.  Can't speak for tummy since I never had anything taken there.

Oh yes, the drainage.  Yep, not so pretty but again differs from person to person.  My lipo holes stopped draining fairly quickly - never drained longer than 24 hrs and usually stopped within the first 10 hours.  Bruising lasted about 3 weeks.  Hope all this helps - again, might be helpful to read the patient stories at the fat graft forum.  There are quite a few ladies who are in the midst of their procedures so it is very informative and exciting to follow their journies.

• EileenKaye1
    Options

leeinfl--as always--again thanks for your help, and inside information.  Eileen

• chatsworthgirl
    chatsworthgirl Member Posts: 197
    Options

Kate33  I thbnk my neice said it was because one of them was losing its form.

I must say that I did a lot of research on implants and what many women reported of problems at the outset with surgery then rejection, muscle and range of motion problems, pain that never went away and the problems over time of capsular contraction, movement of the implants, lopsided breasts, rippling and having to go through replacements.

I was almost going to do "immediate" (what bullshit) reconstruction on the operating table when they lopped off my breasts but when I found out what it entails - pulling the pectoral muscle off the chest wall and inserting foreign object, I declined. 

The flap procedures were even more extensive surgery since you are slicing and dicing other parts of your body and they also come with awful dowsides for many women such as necropsy of the tissue, rejection, infection and lopsided breasts.

I decided I would rather go without breasts completely and get the surgery and recovery over with quicker than go through a longer surgery with who knows what outcome.

Then I discovered the BRAVA fat grafting.  To me it was a clear choice. 

I had two drains hanging from my breasts for three weeks.  If I can handle that I can handle some lipo drains.

As I prevoiusly posted, I am not ready yet as I have to finish chemo, rads and complete healing. Hope that by that time I will know from those of you who have undergone the complete recon with fat how it all turns out.

Kathy

• sweetie2040
    sweetie2040 Member Posts: 470
    Options

Kate I had a phone consult with both Dr Julie Vasile and Dr. David Greenspun. I know Dr. Vasile uses the Brava method, but she didn't seem really confident about what to do in my case. Dr. Greenspun actually told me to see Dr. Khouri. He also didn't seem confident about my case and said Dr. Khouri has the most success with the FG.  Some of these Dr's are willing to give you a phone consult if you go to their website and email them. I was able to send photos and I actually had three phone consults. It really helped because I didn't want to make the trip to NY if I didn't think the Dr could help me in my scenerio. I did end up meeting one of the Dr's I had one of the phone consults with but she ended up not being on my insurance plan which was unfortunate because I liked her very much and probably would have went with her.

• leeinfl
    Options
    Kathy - Smile You are soooo right about immediate reconstruction....and the alternative:  I have a friend (from here on BCO) who went through flap surgery only to have it fail and be rushed back in to surgery and end up with TEs and subsequent implant.  And yes, it IS slice & dice.  I just hope more women will discover that there really is a MUCH better option.....Cudos to you for your diligent research!
  • tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    Options

After reading "Bathsherba's Breast: Women, Cancer, and History", I am very thankful for the courage of the women and doctors who dared to explore options.  Today the treatment we each recieve for our cancer diagnois is the same yet different.  I had neo adjuvant chemo, again a change from standard protocol.  After chemo, then the mastectomy with a TE.  I had a breast surgeon and a plastic surgeon at that surgery.  My PS consulted with my RO as to how best to treat the cancer and protect my skin for reconstruction.  After radiation, I had a DIEP and was in that 1% that failed.  I was rushed back into surgery in an attempt to save the flap.  Two months later is was removed.  I think back to the pioneers in that procedure and the women who braved the procedure and helped to make it a standard instead of a pipe dream.  If I had a chance to redo, I would still choose the DIEP  reconstruction.  But life has given me a different journey, and I was very lucky to have a PS who is dogmatic and willing to think outside the box.  HIs disappointment in the flap failure was more than mine....and this was genuine concern for me more than professional image.  He suggested we try fat grafting.  He hosted the first fat grafting forum in New Orleans and doctors attended from all over the world....Dr. K presented at this forum.  I wore the BRAVA for 3 months prior to grafting.  After the first month, there was not much change in my breast.....radiation and 3 surgeries had done their damage.  We decided to take a chance and go forward with the grafting and he continued to tell me their were other options, LAT or TUG.  Truy, those are no longer an option for me.....no more hunks taken out of my body.  I had the first lipo and grafting completed in March, 2011.  I was presented with the option of trying fat banking.  If they can freeze eggs and sperm and still create healthy babies, why can't fat be frozen.  To lessen the invasion by lipo in this journey seemed worth the try.  So enough fat was harvested for several procedures and is laying in cold storage in Dallas.  My experience with the lipo was very different from those shared here.  I had small incisions from where the fat was harvested and injected as well as revisions on the ends of my DIEP scar.  That evening I was sore but up and moving.  I did not have all the draining mentioned by others, there were pads inserted into my compression garment to catch any drainage, but the next morning when these were removed they were very clean.  I was sent back to the hotel with the leg compression machine to wear during the night.  After checking in with my PS the next morning, I flew from New Orleans back to the Hill Country of Texas.  I did not take pain medication and did well.  I did take meds when I got home to my own little bed. I had little bruising.   In Aug., my sister met me in New Orleans and I had round 2.  My fat and I arrived at the center at the same time.  The prep was longer than the procedure.  I had light sedation....slept thru the procedure but was wide awake shortly after.  My sister and I walked to lunch from our rooms, shopped a bit and went out for dinner...with me driving because it was dark and raining and she did not know the area.  Currently, my PS and I are working on a plan for the future.  I did seek a second opinion in San Antonio....really liked the PS but his suggestion was a LAT.  

Am I taking a risk by pursuing this avenue?  Who knows.  The fat cells are not going to grow into breast cells.  When I asked about the possiblity of all this causing cancer to grow, my PS surgeon's response was the if the cells are still there they are still there and they may or may not grow.  Using the Brava might accelerate that growth and make detection sooner, but the system would not likely be the cause of the cancer growth.  

The healing properties of the stem cells within the fat cells is another benefit of fat grafting being researched and documented.  My skin is healing and I do believe the fat cells have facilitated this.  I do see changes in my breast even after only 2 graftings....and no I do not have an implant and do not plan to have one.   

Just like we each have our favorites in sports team, we each have our favorite PS.  I have chosen to stay with my PS for many reasons and realize I am a petri dish for him to learn from.  In the event my daughter should end up on this journey, perhaps my decisions to explore outside the safe bounds will provide her with better choices and better surgeons. 

I think the reoccuring piece of advice is to take your time and make wise decisions.  My PS may not have the fame of Dr. K but I trust him and his intent.  We each must find that person we trust to join us in this journey.

Regarding insurance, so far there have been no issues.  My procedures have been in a private hospital and a private surgical center.  Due to a "network inadequecy" my surgeon is treated as in network.  My expenses have been in line with a doctor who is in network.  The most I have been required to pay for any one procedure is $1500.  Most have been covered with little or no expense to me.

Jana 

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    Options

Good for you Jana!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps us all. I asked Dr K about banking...as it SURE makes sense to me. He doesnt do it...yet. Each surgery weakens our immune systems and recovery depends on us each individually. Scary stuff for cancer patients. I have been through lots of surgeries with all of this over the past 2 years. I am 3 weeks out from my last procedure, and am still tired and really sore. My bloodwork reflects this and my onc has me coming in once a week to monitor. I am 45, otherwise fit, and athletic and am now headed to state championships for the 2nd time in a year for tennis. I am also vegetarian and live clean...and that fatgrafting knocks me right on my ass for a solid month each time. I think each of us needs to do what we feel is best for ourselves and our situation. We know our bodies best.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    Options

"The flap procedures were even more extensive surgery since you are slicing and dicing other parts of your body and they also come with awful dowsides for many women such as necropsy of the tissue, rejection, infection and lopsided breasts."

I'm glad the BRAVA method fits your needs, but I just wanted to respond to the above statements. 

1) infection: any surgery brings with it the risk of infection, including the lipo required to do lipofilling. Lipo creates pockets, pockets fill with fluid (seromas), fluid can become infected.

2) rejection?  the body doesn't reject its own tissue. Unless you're thinking of fat necrosis. See next point.

3) fat necrosis is a risk with flap surgeries, yes, but you can get fat necrosis with fat grafting too.  It's more likely in that scenario, actually.

4) lopsided breasts? how do you figure that?  symmetry is something delivered at the hands of the plastic surgeon. you can get a bad or good result with any type of reconstruction, depending on the skill of your surgeon and other more physiological factors.

As far as "slicing and dicing" goes, yes, you are sacrificing one part of your body for another with flap reconstruction. But you do realize that lipo'd fat doesn't come back, don't you?  Lipo recontours and changes your body--you are sacrificing something. Obviously that sacrifice is well within your tolerance limits, which is great.  But flap surgeries are well within other women's tolerance levels, are not as negative or unpleasant as you make them out to be, and are almost always quite successful.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice, but giving other women disinformation about the alternatives isn't going to help them. No method has a 100% guarantee.  In fact, the long-term success of fat grafting still remains to be seen.

• Kate33
    Options

One thing I'm so confused about is the huge differences women seem to have with the actual lipo.  Lots of bruising, very little bruising, huge amounts of drainage, very little drainage, etc.  Jana had pads to catch what little oozing she had.  I was sent off with nothing and ended up bleeding through the compression garment from one end of my hotel room to the other.  Why is this part so different?  

Jana- Thanks for sharing your story!

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options

Jana - thank you so much for sharing your detailed story!  I love hearing about the different approach your doctor is taking and just learning in general.  So thanks so much! 

Jeskachi - You are right - no method has a 100% guarantee, and it is important for us all to remember that!  I think DIEP can be a great option for those who qualify.  For me, I didn't consider implants an alternative I was comfortable with.  And since I didn't qualify for DIEP, my only other flap option was an IGAP.  I was not comfortable with that surgery at all, especially since having it done bilaterally for me would have meant TWO separate 10 hour surgeries, several months apart.  Nope, seemed way too risky to me.  So, for me, fat grafting was the only other option.  What is wonderful is that there IS another option for women who do not want implants but do not qualify for DIEP - that's my story. 

• chatsworthgirl
    chatsworthgirl Member Posts: 197
    Options

jeskachi   I am not giving other women disinformation and I certainly didn't wish to offend you if you had implants or a flap procedure. 

I am certain many of these procedures are quite successful. However, as I stated, I didn't want to go through an extensive surgery with "who knows what" outcome.  My decision was based on the stories of other women regarding their unsuccessful outcomes.  Since there was no way to know if I would fall into the unsuccessful group after going through extensive surgery I chose not to take the risk.

In my post I did not say that ALL women experienced bad results, I said MANY. 

And yes, there were women who wound up with lopsided breasts from the flap procedure because the tissue moved or changed. 

If you read Jana's post above she states that she was in the 1% of failed flap procedures.  If you took the number of women who have these procedures and then appllied the 1% it would be a significant number..

I have a personal friend who decided to have implants. She had to have two replacements because each time she had capsular contraction and pain. Finally she had to have the last one removed and will not pursue this avenue again.

I apologize for my mistake in using the term "rejection" when speaking of flap procedures. 

In regard to slicing and dicing.  Yes that is how I see it. If you don't mind having large scars on your abdomen or back then that is your choice but I think women should know what the downsides are.  In my experience doctors don't always tell you what the surgeries entail and what the possible negative outcomes are. 

When I was told I could have "immediate" reconstruction with implants it sounded just fine.  Until I did my own research and realized that it is not "Immediate" at all but requires many procedures and, most importantly, the pulling of my pectoral muscles off my chest wall to insert the implants.  This is not trivial as it can and does cause problems with range of motion and pain (for MANY women).  I am an active and athletic person and it would be devastating to me if I could not do all of things I am used to being able to do now.

As to sacrificing one part of my body for another.  In my opinion, taking fat from someplace where I don't need or want it (and certainly don't care if it doesn't come back) to build a breast is far preferable to taking fat and more importantly muscle from my abdomen where I do need it.  I have read that this causes SOME women issues with abdominal strength and pain.

People are doing lipo all the time to eliminate fat from their bodies and fat grafting for partial reconstruction or to fill in areas after lumpectomy (SuzanneSomers did this) is quite common and has been done for, I believe, the last twenty years. 

In comparing the various procedures, in my opinion, lipo and total recon with fat grafting is the least invasive of them all.  Note that I did not say it was NOT invasive.

Again, I am sorry if I offended you. 

Kathy

• leeinfl
    Options

jeskachi - Most of us are here on this thread because we are looking for and sharing information and experiences on microfat grafting.  Most of us have already decided against the more invasive procedures and the flap surgeries are THE most invasive of all reconstruction methods.  I don't believe anyone could argue that fact. 

1.  As far as infection risk, of course infection is always a possibility, however the risk is lowest with this procedure.  Standard practice is to prescribe an antibiotic to bring this risk down even further.  Again, the more invasive surgeries carry the greatest risk of infection. 

2.  Rejection?  Call it what you want, but we all know of women whose flap has failed and had to have it removed.  So a chunk of your body is gone with nothing to show for it except the scars. 

3.  Yes, fat necrosis is common with fat grafting, however a lot depends on the technique and skill of the PS.  So worst case you might lose some of the injected fat - as long as radiologists who read a woman's screens know that what might appear as calcifications are the result of fat grafts, this doesn't pose any real problem.  Again, not even close to the complications involved with necrosis with flap surgeries - and the risk is higher when women have undergone radiation treatment.  In fat grafting, the stem cells actually help improve the irradiated tissue.

4.  Lopsided breasts can happen with any procedure.  My friend whose one flap failed ended up with lopsided breasts since that side had to be removed and she ended up with one implant and one flap.

The fact that lipo'd fat doesn't come back isn't a negative - haven't heard anyone complain about that yet!  If there is a silver lining in ANYTHING about breast reconstruction, then this might be it.  And even for the ladies who don't have much fat to spare, the thought of sacrificing a part of your muscle (which for the lean ladies is often the only other option) isn't appealing.  When offered that reconstruction option, I immediately dismissed it.  It's one thing to have to live with pec muscle issues, quite another to have part of a major muscle removed.  Yes, there are NO guarantees with any surgery, with any reconstruction.  However, for the ladies here on this thread, we welcome the opportunity to have a minimally invasive procedure that can result in the most realistic result possible.  There is no comparison in this....no additional cutting - no cold, foreign object - breasts that are warm, soft and sensate.    

• leeinfl
    Options

Kathy - I'm a personal trainer.  You have no idea how much I miss being able to do the things I used to.  Push ups?  Chest press?  To many not being able to do weight training or other exercises isn't a big deal.  To me it is and it makes me sad that I can't do them anymore.  Even such a simple act as swimming is forever different.  I figured if "normal" women do this for augmentation, it can't be all bad right?  Wrong!  I'm at peace with what I have now, thanks to a revision with micro fat grafting, but still regret the fact that I allowed a surgeon to shove a foreign object under my muscles to forcefully tear them away from the chest wall little by little.  I'm so happy that you didn't go that route and found this option instead. 

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    Options

You know, it's not a contest. Every woman has to choose what's best for her.  It's curious to me that you feel the need to talk about other procedures in terms of how awful or "invasive" they are (you opened the door on that one in this thread, not me).  There are pros and cons to all options, including the (very new and relatively untested) BRAVA method.

Also for the record... not all flap breast reconstructions involve moving muscle. The latest methods do not.

• Kate33
    Options

jeskachi- This thread is not meant to be a competition between recon methods.  It is meant as a place for women, who are interested in fat grafting procedures, to find out more information about it and where to locate a surgeon.  If someone is interested in flap surgeries perhaps you could start a new thread and tout the benefits on there?  For those of us who have had successful fat grafting procedures it's only natural for us to want to share those success stories and what we considered when choosing this method of reconstruction.  I think Kathy was merely sharing what her thought process was when deciding against flap surgeries and picking fat grafting.

• leeinfl
    Options

Jeskachi 

Like Kate stated, this thread serves to provide information and experiences regarding micro fat grafting.  No, it's not a contest and every woman needs to make the decision that is best for her.  HOWEVER, there is plenty of information readily available on all the other reconstructive procedures and if we wanted to pursue them, we would be in those reconstructive forums and threads.  Since microfat grafting is relatively new, it is hard to find ladies who can share their experience and that is why this thread was started and why we are here contributing to it.  To share and help provide information that is hard to find as well as support one another as we make this journey.  We are well aware of the other reconstructive options and what they entail.  Like you said everyone must choose what is right for them.  I think your experience will be very helpful to women seeking information on that procedure, just not on this thread. 

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

In Connecticut, Yale-Smilow Cancer Hospital, Dr. Stephanie Kwei, Yale Plastic Surgery-----EXCELLENT and INNOVATIVE.  She is wonderful, and out-of-the-box thinker, does both micro and Brava and is more than willing to explore options or do what is best for each patient on a case-by-case basis.  The one thing you get as soon as you meet her is a very pleasant, very open doctor who is concerned with doing what is best for you; she never once seemed to have a preconceived notion about the next, best steps but rather learns more about you and your situation and THEN, as you develop a rapport, she will discuss recommendations.  I will tell you one thing is for sure: there is NO one-size-fits-all solution in her office!  Not at all.  If you are a breast cancer patient looking for reconstructive options in Connecticut, this is the plastic surgeon to see.

Don't forget, when you have a female doctor they can truly embrace "but for the grace of God, there go I" idea and, although I don't think this is necessary to arrive at an appropriate decision, it can certainly only serve to help us.  Important thing to remember. 

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    Options

The thing that kind of amazes me..and if any of you remember I have been an advocate of fat grafting for a long time....  is something a PS mentioned to me after attending a fat graft seminar.One of the doctors in attendance wanted to know why there were only success stories represented,he felt it would have been beneficial to have seen or heard cases where fat grafting and/or the Brava did not work.This PS said the doctor asked this in a very confrontational way and did not get an answer.But the PS felt it was valid and wished it had been answered.I think it is very important that all recon choices are presented with the facts,both pros and cons.When I started researching fat grafting,it seemed the only cons were that few doctors do it.As I learned more,I realized that there were cons to fat grafting as there are with any surgery.Most of the flap surgery sites I have visited list pros and cons of each procedure.The only in depth site on fat grafting that I have found is Dr.Khouri's and I have been unable to find any discussion of cons for his procedure.(if they are there and I have missed them,please forgive me and post the link)The PS I consulted who had taken the fat grafting course was the first in my experience that honestly represented fat grafting,discussing pros and cons.Of course this is not a contest.....I would never  have implants,but I do not post about how horrible they are..simply because I have not had them (I had tissue expanders though and will talk about that!) so anything I said about them would only be what I have read or heard.The best teachers are the women who have been there and done that.I feel grateful for all I have learned from their experiences.

• mormor1
    mormor1 Member Posts: 38
    Options

Wow!  Lively discussion!

I am a patient of Dr. K.  I love what he has discovered and done for me and so many others, I love his enthusiasm.   I love the fat grafting option for reconstruction.  On the other side, there is no hiding all the nitty gritty realities if you go to read the threads on fatgraftpatients.com. 

I believe there is a seed of truth in what pandazankar says.  I must say that I found it refreshing when Dr. Delvecchio talked very plainly about risks and the down sides at one of the Fat Grafting Training sessions in Miami.  There are risks and down sides with this procedure as with all procedures.  It might not be for everyone.  Dr. K. might not be for everyone.  That's ok.

Thanks so much for sharing your story Jana!!  That's quite a history.  Love the idea that those of us who take some risks to do something that isn't totally mapped out...might be paving the way for our daughters (God forbid) or others coming after us.  Fat banking sounds like a fantastic idea.  Hope that becomes the norm.  It sounds like your experience was easier than even mine,..and I think I'm with Lee on the side of finding recovery from fat grafting for breast reconstruction not too bad.

Eileen- you seem to be someone who recovers well from things and you might be with Lee and I on that.  You've been given some gppd tips on areas that are easiest to recover from etc.  That might help.  I was determined not to be off work much either.  I just took 3 days off each time....I really did...and I truly felt I was ok going back in that amount of time.  Mine was not work where I had to do heavy lifting though..mostly desk, some out of the office.  The first day post op was mostly recuperating, but I would still take a walk outside.  By day two, I was ready to explore the city (Brava and all!).  The hardest thing was getting on and off the toilet for at least several days.  Have heard it's a great idea to get a high riser toilet (handicap accessable room is good).  So you might be ok with taking a week off...most ladies would probably say two weeks though.  I do well with anesthesia.  Be sure you ask for antiemitic if nausea tends to be a problem  I think good anesthesia recovery helps get a good start on a good recovery.

Lizzymack1  Thanks for sharing about another excellent MD doing so many options!

Blessings to all!

• mormor1
    Options

p.s.  I was actually a wimp recovering from my tubal ligation.  Couldn't believe how much it hurt after a week!  Had all five babies without pain meds and didn't think it was too bad...but complained after a band aid surgery...go figure!

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    Options

After my long post this morning, I received a call from my PS's office.  He feels the damage from radiation and the previous surgeries is too severe to continue with the fat grafting.  I am extremely disappointed to say the least.  I felt fat grafting was a viable option for my reconstruction.  The grafting has made a difference in the appearance of the skin but there is not enough flexibility in the skin to continue.  The next options are no further reconstruction, LAT or a TUG.  The skin and nipple saved during the mastectomy will have to be removed to allow reconstruction.

I hope that there are lessons learned by my PS that he can teach to others from my situation.  Even though this is not the result I was hoping for....I still have fat banked for the future.  The failures provide learning opportunities.   I do not regret any of the choices my surgeon and I have made thus far....sad that the ride has been bumpy.  So off to say F**K Cancer....regroup and move forward.

Jana 

• leeinfl
    Options

Jana - my heart goes out to you.  You have been such a trail blazer (like our good friend Randi!) and I agree with you that your surgeon (and those following you) will benefit greatly from your experience.  I'm sorry if I missed it, but did you ever use the Brava domes?  Could that possibly make a difference or allow you to continue?  Always move forward - even if you certainly deserve to kick, curse, and cry a bit now before you continue on to kick the living daylights out of BC!  Many hugs to you tonight......

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options
    Jana - I am SO sorry! Frown  What a shock to receive that call and advisement.  You will move forward as we all do when we get unexpected news on this d*mn cancer nightmare ride...F**K cancer for real.  Yell
  • jessicav
    jessicav Member Posts: 59
    Options

Who is Dr. Delvecchio and just what are the Pros and Cons of fat grafting? It would be good to get that info. in one place like for t he other procedures. 

• mormor1
    Options

Ohh Jana!  Sitting here in grief for your news...

But just looked back at your site about MD's who dared to explore new options...thinking about what a pioneer you have been and I just can't believe this is the end of your trail.

I see you mentioned you wore the BRAVA for 3 months...but that isn't much (sorry to say) in light of radiated skin.  If you go to psf's story and photos on fatgraftpatients.com, you will see how resistnant the left radiated side was at first...but what great results she has now!

I'm sure it will take some time to be mad and grieve and digest all that has happened and what to do next.  Count me in on one who believes there will be a way.  This isn't the end of the story.  Maybe even giving it some time will allow the benefit of the fat stem cells to do more benefit and later this could be attempted again.

Jeskachi - sorry I don't remember the specifics.  You know how all informed consents are though.  It might be a dental procedure and one of the risks will be death. As I recall from the government clinical trial, that I was a part of, there was only one minor infection which resolved  as a side effect out of fifty total breast reconstruction patients.  By nature, any time skin is pierced, there would be a risk of infection, but there are no incisions, no major blood vessels being transported.  I would imagine any risks related to liposuction would be included. .  

• 1WonderWoman
    1WonderWoman Member Posts: 1,796
    Options
    With Dr. Khouri, you have to understand, the preponderance of his business is augmentation.  He is just taking breasts that are ok and making them better.   There really is not a "con" website for that.   There are no cons.  You try it, if it works, great, if it doesn't, you can try again or try something else.  Using Brava for bc patients is much, much newer than simply using Brava to get bigger breasts.  Through my research I also found that some years ago even Dr. Khouri was not convinced it was a good idea for bc patients because it promotes unequiovocal cell regeneration which means it could invite the bc cells to start growing again also.  We have to explore, try new things and take chances, however.  This is the only way this entire experience can be better for us and for those yet to join us  in the challenge.  
  • EileenKaye1
    Options

wisconsinrandi--thanks for the concerns.  Two weeks off of work would not be an issue.

Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    Options

leeinfl--thanks for the information regarding--downtime from work.

Love the gym--use a "trainer" at my gym weekly. How long should it take--before I can go

back to training.  I will be having an implant exchange--410 to much smaller with fatgrafting.

Would appreciate your opinion.  Eileen