Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to talk death and dying issues

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited June 2011
    Options

Chickadee-----what allot of people don't realize here, is we have lurkers and people that can register and have access to info that can be quoted or if they are registered can be C&P to the outside like FB. So, if there is anything you don't want known to the world ---don't put it here. Our PM's are ours. the outside world can't reach them. So, when writing , think do I care about anyone reading what I write. I was naive at first, when I found this out I changed my username pronto. Wish I had been more creative, I just looked around and it's me and my dog. I love your name Chickadee, I love Tinkertude, and Tigerblood and so many others, but i'm in so deep now it would confuse to many people.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2011
    Options

Ditto to what SAS said, I'm 100% sure that insurance companies have lots of spies here too.

• corian68
    corian68 Member Posts: 86
    edited June 2011
    Options

Jelly

When I was working in hospice several patients lived alone ;)

• corian68
    edited June 2011
    Options

Jelly

When I was working in hospice several patients lived alone ;)

• corian68
    edited June 2011
    Options

TX Rose

Good gawd! People can be as toxic as cancer! We need something similar to chemo to remove stupid from their bodies..... " stupid be gone O"

Take the high road girlfriend, you are worth more than that ;)

• Mazy1959
    Mazy1959 Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2011
    Options

Imbell.....I am so sorry. Losing a sibling is sooo hard. I will keep u in my prayers. Luv and hugs, Mazy

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2011
    Options

Imbell - so very sorry for your loss. Warmest condolences.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited June 2011
    Options

Imbell, my sincerest condolences........I know how you feel as I lost my bother to lung cancer three years ago.   (((((((hugs)))))) It's hard to loose a family member but to loose three must be so difficult but you are in no way responsible. 

Tomothea...OMG a nut case for sure.  Please make sure you give nothing that she can turn against you.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    edited June 2011
    Options

Imbell, I'm so sorry for your loss. I have five siblings and know I would be devastated to lose one. Heck I was devestated when I lost a cousin. Just know it's not because of you!

• Jellydonut
    Jellydonut Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2011
    Options

Corian, thank you so much!!!  I've been worried sick about that issue.

Mary Bell, condolences on your loss.

• scuttlers
    scuttlers Member Posts: 149
    edited June 2011
    Options

Mary Bell, sending a cyber hug your way, I am so saddened to hear this! Sincere condolences.

T - wow, and I thought I had family issues. So sorry. Don't know if I would give them ANY access to anyone in your care circle. Take care of you!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited June 2011
    Options

I am so sorry for your loss, imbell. And what you have had to go through with your family these past years.

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited June 2011
    Options

SAS, I used my first name for quite a while and didn't give it too much thought, but it's spelled uniquely and one day I just felt exposed, so I decided on a favorite backyard bird,the Chickadee with it's cute little black cap.

Think I'll play around with the picture now.  There ya go, nice little Chickadee.  Scary world out there.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2011
    Options

Imbell, sorry for your loss. I lost 2 of my brothers; one was killed by a drunk driver and the other way dropped dead suddenly at age 50 and I was working in his office at the time. The pain is off the chart so the only thing I try to dwell on is the happy times with him. Like the others I dont think anyone is being sacrified; I just think God called them home sooner. Stress plays a big role in our recovery so rely on the support you have from other family members and friends. Diane

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited June 2011
    Options

chickadee ----Ditto-on the  scary world.  Love the pic.

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited June 2011
    Options

Oh Imbell, I'm so very sorry to hear this news. It is so difficult to lose a sibling... my thoughts are with you and your family. Sending you love...

Rose. 

• thats-life-
    thats-life- Member Posts: 169
    edited July 2011
    Options

imbell: its ok to feel 'dead', and to forget for a minute..its all ok, all part of grieving, all part of life and death...we have no control over the cards we are dealt, our only choice is to live the best life we can xxx

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited June 2011
    Options

imbell - I'm very sorry about the loss of your brother. My thoughts are with you.

Texasrose - I have no words. How horrible!

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited June 2011
    Options

[[[[[[[[[[IMBELL - HUGS ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited October 2011
    Options

IMBell- I am so sorry for your loss. To lose anybody is hard enough without the added stress of our dx's.

Re: my crazy in law. I am over it. All is forgiven but it doesnt mean i will ever have anyhting to do with her or her family again. I miss my nephews terribly but that just something I have to deal with.

I dont get why it was suggested that i change my name and deleat the ost though...

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited June 2011
    Options

The suggestion to delete the post is to protect you in case your crazy inlaw would go so far as to find that information and use it in some hurtful way yet again.

I think it's not a bad idea to delete it, otherwise it becomes a permanent record in cyberspace.

• sweetangel
    sweetangel Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2011
    Options

I can relate to you TexasROse, some people are crazy and doesn't have a heart at all.  My SIL posted in her FB the day she found out I had a breast cancer, she goes "You reap what you SOW and I hope you deserve what you get.  I haven't done anything bad to her, its just that my crazy MIL is telling her bad stuff about me.   I hate my dh family, they only show fake sympathy.  I wish I have my family with me, at least I wouldn't feel sad sometimes. Hugsss :-)

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167
    edited June 2011
    Options

Sweet angle, Your SIL is sick. She must have been referring to herself.

Others, You are a great bunch of people. Post after post of sending cyber hugs to people in need of them.

Tomorrow I am going to the SSI office. Getting to sick to work. How good/bad is the SSI health insurance?

• Mazy1959
    edited June 2011
    Options

ma...Since u have stage 4, u should have no problems getting approved. You can apply now but have to put in ur 5 months of not working before you get ur first check on the 6th month. My Medicare didnt start for 24 months after the date of my first check. I have a medicare supplement plan and our clinic usually accepts that and Medicare as paid in full. I did have to pay $12 this year for some shoe risers. LOL. The prescription plan isnt bad but not the best depending on what drugs u r on. I have 2 very pricey drugs and it really hurts my purse when I am in the "gap" or "donut hole". As a whole I have way less medical expense since I have been on Medicare as opposed to my former health ins. I carried COBRA for a total of 27 months til Medicare kicked in. My former employer tried to drop me after 18 mo but could not because I had become disabled while on COBRA and that qualified me to keep COBRA for a total of 29 mo and in some cases it coulda been extended to 36 mo. I dont know if its different state by state. I am in Illinois. Also, if u are low income u may qualify for SSI while awaiting SSDI to start and theres no waiting period on that but its not much compared to SSDI. But anything is better than nothing. Hugs, Mazy

• ma111
    edited June 2011
    Options

Mazy, I am glad there is an office close to me because I don't even understand the difference between SSI and SSDI.

My current insurance has a $5,000 out of pocket expense and covers everything. I have had a lot of compliments on it. I can get a pet next day, I have had 5. It covers Herceptin, celebrex, Taxotere and everything else people have ordered. I have the option of keeping it for $500 a month. There is no donut hole. After the $5,000 I don't have co-pays for meds or doc visits even. I'm trying to figure out if I would be better off keeping the insurance I have with the extra expense or going on the SSI insurance. What are your total co-pays?

Sorry I am asking you for a lot of info.

Thanks

• petjunkie
    petjunkie Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2011
    Options

I'm no expert on the social security stuff, but I don't believe there is an SSI insurance. SSI is income and asset based, you only qualify if you really have nothing. It's not insurance though, I think if you qualify for SSI then you'd qualify for Medicaid. But I'm not sure, you should check with your social security office. I know that in my state, I didn't qualify for SSI because I had a 401k. 

SSDI is disability insurance-- you've paid into this if you have worked. It provides a check, not health insurance. At Stage IV we qualify for this when we stop working. You have to be on SSDI for two years before Medicare kicks in. For the two years in-between, you have to have your own private insurance. Or it sounds like you could continue your current insurance through COBRA. That's what I do, and I even got a COBRA extension so I'm covered the extra six months (typically COBRA expires after 18 months).

There are a few threads about SSDI in the Stage IV forum and also in the Financial Issues forum. You might check those out. Also, if the place you get cancer treatment has a social worker, it would be worth talking to him/her, they usually know about a lot of this stuff! 

• ma111
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thanks for the advise. I called SS today 1-800-772-1213. They said I have to wait unyill I no linger have an income above $1,000. It than takes 5 months to a year to get approved, however they do back pay from the time you apply.

So, back to some grim thoughts. I have a daughter and would like for my funeral to be paid for and leave her the house. If I go on disability my mortage is too high and I loose the house. Won't be able to afford food/utilities or car payment. Ouch, the grim reality of dying, why can't it be fast instead of losing everything before you die. I hope that what causes me to not be able to work is brain mets, that fairly quick.

• Mazy1959
    edited June 2011
    Options

Ma,

Petjunkie is correct. SSI is not health insurance. Its simply a small amount of money each month for those who are very poor. They do count equity in your home etc. In 2007 I could have no assets above $3000 to qualify but thats for Illinois. When you go on Social Security Disability you have to wait 24 months before you can start medicare. Medicare is what will then be used to help pay your medical expenses but you have to have a seperate ins (small amt) for pescription coverage.I was approved in 6 weeks for SSDI. Many of us wont be able to leave our loved ones what we had hoped. Its sad but there's no easy answer to that question. If you cant afford to keep your home, you will probly have no choice but to sell it or let it go back. I hope this all works for you somehow. One thing I noticed that has changed since I applied for SSDI...I wasnt allowed to have any income at all for 5 months and you said that you could have under $1000. So thats good. Hugs, Mazy

• ma111
    edited June 2011
    Options

Maybe I can rent the house I am in and my Daughter can still get it. I am the only parent she has, I really want to leasve her something. Not being able to work wil really increase my stress level a lot. I don't like thinking of not maintain the house. I world so hard to save money to get it and I love it.

Life just sucks sometimes. Maybe after I stop working I can get a part thing going and try to get help from American Cancer Society ro someone and maybe keep it for a few months. Deep depression if I lose the house.

• K-Lo
    K-Lo Member Posts: 826
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hey y'all. My results w SSDI: had to resign job. As of Feb 1 I was unemployed. By late Feb-early March they notified me that I would receive SSDI. However, the payment starts in July but for some reason I wont see it until August. Not at all convinced that the money will be retroactive. I dare not even dream that. Really doubt it.

May I ask a favor? If and when I pass, may I not be called an angel? How about I turn into part of the universe? Too cynical for an angel. :^). Kathy