Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hot Flash Forum!

Options

Comments

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2011
    Options

I take magnesium already

• ShannonR
    edited July 2011
    Options

Deb rox - is your rash gone, I hope ?

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options

I read earlier that someone had some benefit from taking the magnesium.

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited July 2011
    Options

HI everyone, I just waned to chime in here and introduce myself.  I too of course had hot flashes. I went into menopause naturally at age 40,went on HRT and felt great. My hot flashes were gone , I could sleep again.. life was good. Then fast forward, 5 years, BC diagnosis. 

With AI, I had terrible hotflashes , Onco and BS prescribed Effexor XR (time release) 37.5 mg.  I will say, it took about 6 full weeks for them to subside, but now I am 97% hotflash free. If I drink alcohol, I will have one in a minute. If anyone tried effexor and it didnt work, I would try the XR version.  That lasts through the day to keep the Hotflash at bay. ( how sad I ryhymed)

I still dont sleep well though. I never feel refreshed and wake up, not from hot flashes any more but as many noted , to go to the ladies room, or just wake. I do have really vivid dreams and I think that may be from the effexor as I didnt remember my dreams before.

I am interested in the vitamin D and the menopret and the acai berry. I'd love to sleep again. I feel like I dont have a brain any more due to lack of sleeping. 

I am going to buy the menopret and the acao berry.  and be more faithful w vitamin D and let u know how it all goes!!.

This is a great forum and I have found a ton of great info. Thanks for sharing.

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Options

Shannon: yes rash subsided 2 days after stopping menopret. The itchiness and rash only appeared in the morning. Then I had chemo so decided to stop until I am completely finished with chemo. This time tomorrow I will be 1 hour PFC!!!

I plan on waiting 2 weeks brfore trying menopret again. Need to detoxify my body first.

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    YaYYY DebRox!!!!  Last chemo!!!
  • sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited July 2011
    Options

Their are so many questions here and I just lost an EBAY auction, but they had to pay allot more than the 12.99 last bid, 68$-----bummer. It was worth it, but only if you knew, double bummer. The person that beat me knows how to to the bidding without being seen. BUMMER.--OH well let it pass.  BUMMER--------*&^$#@!!@&, okay I'm semi over it. On to real things

DEBrox------"I hr PFC " means.  Please read previous post about washout. Then ask pharmacist for 800#. Ask what the washout period is for the drugs you were subjected to. Different for all drugs. DEB any time you start a drug within the use of chemo drugs do not expect it to react as it would under usual circumstances-----------chemo alters everything.

Thanks to all who offered kind thoughts sas---so concentrated on auction----------11pm-----going to take a break 

• ShannonR
    edited July 2011
    Options

DebRox - I am so happy for you today !  You made it !  Chemo Free !

• jackwagstaff
    jackwagstaff Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2011
    Options

My hot flashes seem to start at my neck , but within a minute my face will be the colour of a tomato , my hair will drip and it goes right down to my knees , with everything just wet , and in some cases dripping , I feel disgusting .

It´s very hot here at the moment , and I just long for the winter . Actually , I just long to feel "normal ".

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

DEBROX----------just figiured out 1HR PFC 1hr Post Final Chemo----------CONGRATULATIONS

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

To all ---clonidine as someone mentioned is an old drug as far back as the 50's, I had no idea it was that old.. It has widespread s.e.'s  The most complete section I could find was epocrates.com. It is a free site ,but you must register. What was the best about it was the very extensive listing of drug interactions. If you point the mouse at the drug that clonidine interacts with a little screen pops up and tells you what the interaction is. If you click on the drug it will link to that drug.

Major things to consider in taking Clonidine.

You should monitor your BP daily. Learn how to check your pulse. Recording BP&pulse is probably a good idea. I did a search originally about 6 years ago , then 3years ago for best BP monitors. Omron has the best technology and accuracy. It has a range in prices. 6 years ago it is the monitor I purchased.  Reli-on has omron technology and is the least expensive. It is sold by Walmart. This info that I relied on was from  Consumer Reports. This was updated by CR in the last year and the info came out the same. I purchased the Reli-on 3years ago when i went into Home-health, pre BC.  It's important that a monitor have the ability to give an accurate BP even if your pulse is irregular. Omron has consistently improved their technology and has this ability. Reli-on has omron technology.  Ergo, you don't need to buy the highest priced machine to get accurate readings. The need to learn how to take your pulse, is to know if there is any changes in regularity. I could go on and on about this, but I believe this is sufficient for here. There are many sites on the web for more in depth descriptions.

Do not abruptly stop Clonidine. You could have a rebound hypertensive problem which means your BP can go sky high. WEANING off the drug is essential.

Should not be taken by anyone with kidney issues.  

Please take the time to register at epocrates. It also has a drug interaction checker as I mentioned above. Where you can keep a record of your meds and do a check whenever a new drug is introduced.  Cool

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Someone asked about thyroid controlling body temp. Yes it does, but it is not the only area that does. The pituitary and medulla are involved also. The body has many redundant systems. Many functions in the body follow a negative feedback system. Plug those keyword into google for in depth explanation. I will try to keep this short. I'll use pulse as an example. The medulla is sent messages from other sensing areas in the heart/aorta/neck at the carotid split that the pulse needs to change. The Medulla sends messages to the heart by a particular nerve to change heart rate. Then those sensing areas in the heart/aorta/neck sends a message back to the medulla and then the medulla sends out messages to change heart rate as needed. It's a loop, info is being analysed all the time.

The same thing happens with all the endocrine glands, but the chemical message goes to the pituitary. The pituitary decides what hormone to send out to change whatever needs fixing. GNRH is an example of this, when low the pituitary will send out hormones to cause a change at a distant area in this case primarily effecting the ovaries.  

The key point is that there are several loop systems. The need to have a minimal idea of this negative feedback system(loop), is that many of the drugs we take, affect these loops in the body and there are redundant (duplicate) systems. If you wanted to just leave it there, and learn no know more about it , you could. Frankly, when I first learned of these systems , it was fascinating that all this activity was going on in my body without me having to think about it. Cool

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thanks for all the info SAS!!
  • ageorgiadeb
    ageorgiadeb Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2011
    Options

So much info! Love it!  So glad Deb Rox is done with chemo!!!  I feel like all the really hot weather is a trigger for hot flashes.  Took my Effexor the first 6 weeks and it seemed great.  After time it seems the hot flashes are coming more fast and furious!

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options

jackwag - Sometimes I find myself having a flash during a meeting at work and my legs get so sweaty and my face turns red!  I hear ya -!  I have a hand held fan (I just got bigger one) and I fan myself during the meetings.  At my desk I have an electric fan.  Everyone is used to it now.  One coworker said he likes to sit nearby to catch the breeze.

I am wondering if the menopret is helping a little.  Still having the regular flashes, but they might be less intense!  It's been 8 days now on the menopret.

• Mouse6
    Mouse6 Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi all...I see many of you have been prescribed effexor. My doc recommended the same, although I have never filled the script. I just can't bring myself to put something else into this body Now that I'm finally drug free! Stupid, maybe. Anyway, still getting hot flashes and I finished chemo in April of last year. I'm only 34. Docs have said they think my periods will come back, but I have some serious doubts at this point. Anyone else done treatment for a while and still waiting to see If their ovaries are going to fire back up again?

Btw...quit coffee which was a painful process...and didn't make a damn bit of difference.

Some people report other feelings that seem to coincide with the hot flashes...well I always seem to get a faster heartbeat and almost a nervous feeling before one hits, and I get super thirsty all of a sudden!

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2011
    Options

Mouse6 You are the only other person who has mentioned thirst before a hot flash besides myself.  It doesn't happen every time, but when it does which is often, it is very intense.

I can't be of help regarding periods since I was already in menopause when I got my BC DX.  Sadly, my hot flashes were just beginning to wane, and then Arimidex, and now Tamoxifen Cry

I've heard it said that coffee and alcohol can contribute to hot flashes, and although I haven't particularly noticed either of those to be a trigger for me, there is quality of life to consider. 

SAS The info you are sharing is fascinating.  Do you have a medical background? 

• Mouse6
    edited July 2011
    Options

LOL! Bring on the coffee and the wine then!!!

Yes, I get so suddenly thirsty...as if I've been walking in a desert. Go figure

Haha...no medical background, but don't we all sort of feel like professional cancer researchers by now? ;-)

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2011
    Options

I had "the thirst" big-time in the first few weeks of taking Tamox. I was drinking so much water in the middle of the night, even tho I know it meant i would then be up going to the bathroom! It didn't matter, i was parched. But that SE went away!! 

Mouse6: I hear you about not wanting to add in any drugs after you are drug-free! I take it you are not on Tamox? Maybe one of the non-Rx remedies people talk about here for hot flashes will help.

Omaz: Very encouraging on the menopret! I believe Shannon is also still having good luck with it. Thanks DebRox, I think you were the first to mention it!

SAS, as always, thanks for the great research!

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    hillck - How did the aromatherapy work out?  I got my 'hot flash relief' wellness oil but haven't used it yet.  I am giving the menopret 2 weeks all by itself so I can see if it works.
  • sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Wenweb-retired nurse, That didn't want to be retired yet.Undecided

Thanks for the info thanks, Everyone. It's anice outlet to get my brain working  a bit. Cool

Having an insomnia bout--upsince wed am , it's now fri 245 am-- Yell My personal best was 48 hrs, hope I don't beat that tonight.

Does anyone feel like their sleeping in a wind tunnel LOL.  Ren I think you were going to have dualing fans. 

• Mouse6
    edited July 2011
    Options

Rennasus - I'm not on Tamox because I'm hormone neg. But people in this group are still not supposed to take any forms of estrogen because apparently the worry is with a recurrence or metastasis, the tumour would not necessary be the same type as the primary was - it could end up being ER/PR+. So you could inadvertently help it grow. yikes!

hillck/Omaz...would be very interested to find out how this aromatherapy works as well.

• jackwagstaff
    jackwagstaff Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2011
    Options

Mouse , I also get very thirsty , although I did´nt particually out it down to the hot flashes . But I do tend to always be reaching for the water bottle , especially every time  a flush wakes me at night , then , yep , it´s off to the bathroom ! No peace ! Also  slight panicky feelings and i do feel that my heartrate has increased although I have no proof of that .

• VJSL8
    VJSL8 Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2011
    Options

Mouse6-I was 32 for my first bout with BC, back in 1987. I had 6 months CFM,  was on tamox. for 2 years, then megace for 8 years--never had a period the whole time. Within a year after quitting all meds, my periods came back--never regular and I wished they had stayed away but it is possible

• Mouse6
    edited July 2011
    Options

jack...it isn't your imagination...my heart races too, and I feel anxious right before one hits me. It sucks because it just gives you time to think about how crappy you're going to feel in a few seconds! LOL

VJ...hmmm...8 years huh? Well, I guess there is still time for me! Yes, not really looking forward to getting periods back, but definitely not wanting all the other goodies that come along with menopause.

Geez...sometimes I just think - if I feel like this at 34, what will I feel like when I'm in my sixties!?

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited July 2011
    Options

Back to Effexor. AGeorgiaDeb mentioned that it seems to not be working after six weeks. I'm also experiencing this. I was told I could increase my dose, but I'm pretty sure that is what caused my lips to get very chapped and peel (quit taking two pills after 3 days). I'm back to one pill a day (37.5 mg), but the hot flashes are cranking up again :( 

I'm thinking of trying to take two pills a day again. Has anyone had mouth sores or dry lips? It is very painful. If so, I might try to switch meds.

• ageorgiadeb
    ageorgiadeb Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2011
    Options

dosageHey Shelley I was at my onc's office today and she told me I could increase my Effexor to as much as 150 mg.  She had me start with 37.5 mg for a week and then go to 75 mg if I needed to.  I was taking 75 mg for about 6 weeks and it seemed to be working.  (No cracked lips)  Then we hit the really hot weather and the flashes seemed to increase.  My onc said that she has had patients with the same experience.  She said the best she could explain it was that hot flashes do seem to wax and wane in patients.  Some more that others.  She said hot weather does seem to be a trigger.  She actually recommended that I increase the dosage and see how it goes.  She said if I see a change then take the stronger dose and if doesn't to seem much different then stick with the lower dosage. She said not point in taking the higher dosage if the result is the same as the lower dosage. Even the lower dosage seems to help me.

As for the cracked lips I think I would just start really wearing the chap-stick.  I had to do that during chemo and it became a huge habit.  Plus my sister claims if you keep your lips slathered with chap-stick or lip balm at night that it will put off those annoying lip lines we get with age.  (You do have to put some a bit over your lips on the skin).  Think positive-after 5 years of tamoxifen then no wrinkles!! 

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Jack and Mouse,Your symptoms before your flashes,From the beginning of this thread people have been describing them. AND I hope that people will continue. If any one has seen something in print outside of here please post. On the page where Dr. Freedman (8 maybe) described his thermo control with the diagram. I talked with his associate assistant. She never had seen in any of his papers or discussions, a reference to what I have dubbed"Something -Aura". If this has not truly ever been studied. It's importance, is it may help pinpoint where a hot-flash begins.  Which at this point is unknown. This may seem inconsequential, but it's not. Once they identify where it begins, then maybe something can be done about the beginning, rather than dealing with the aftermath. All the symptoms to date show an origin in the head that is sending messages to the body through multiple routes. Our "something Aura". I'm beginning  to believe is the signal and then the response is the full blown manifestation of that signal. At this point some people have learned to do things very rapidly to soften a full blown response. Jumping in front of fans. Rapid cooling somehow. If that softens reduces the full flashes then it follows the thought of the negative feedback loop, I described a page or so ago. i.e the peripheral sensors telling the central Brain we are not hot but cooled off >>stop the signals to release heat.  Even Freedmans last paragraph describes doing paced breathing , breathing control is in the Medulla. so, is the heart rate , BP,  temperature.  It, all mediated throught he sympathetic and parasympathetic system. So, how much science has been looking at the medulla's involvement-----don't know. But signals to the medulla can be receieved not just from peripheral sensors, they can come via the hypothalamus and some other routes.

Eventually with the help of others here we will do a survey, It's the doing that's the hold up. This medium is not the easier to decided the who what when etc. I've mostly hated meetings all my life. Now I wish we could have one and hash this out. We have enough info I think to do at least a Part one questionnaire. -----The something_aura_------it is so consistently present, symptoms may vary. but we are all describing something.  The mods have approved it, but would like to see the questions before hand is the way I interpreted their response. They also want it to be something that in which Bco is Identified as the source. Again that's my interpretation of their response.

trying to edit some things and the machine has a mind of it's own??? 

Have to go cool off and put on dry clothes.  Undecided

• Mouse6
    edited July 2011
    Options

Sas...yes...there is definitely an aura for some people. Just tonight in fact, I got a stronger aura than usual and felt like I was almost having a panic attack! It's not usually that bad. And I think you're right...there's a bit of a pavlov's dog thing happening with the aura. I wonder if we could do the rapid cooling, could we condition the brain in the opposite direction? LOL-just got the most hilarious vision of some sort of space suit cooling contraption that we could wear and at the push of a button send freon through the suit or something! One can fantasize, right.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited July 2011
    Options

Love this thread!

Every night I am in hot flash hell.  5-6 times a night I erupt into a blast furnace and get jolted awake. It's the middle of winter here and despite being cold it takes me quite a while to cool down - I can't imagine what it's going to be like in summer.

Just as bad as the middle of the night is hot flashing at work.  It's really not dignified to rip all your clothes off during a meeting ... so I suffer in silence. lol

Mouse6 - I'll take one of those space suits.