Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hot Flash Forum!

Options

Comments

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited August 2011
    Options

I love the idea of the chill suit!! or the cold ice pack wrapped around my body !! 

Sas- thanks for the note on sugar.  I will try to stop the sugar for a 2 week period ... tough plan but maybe worth the effort if I can reduce these.

Kackwagstaff- I do use effexor - thats removed the majority of mine. Took about 6 -8 weeks though before they were 98% gone. I'd still like a natural remedy though which is why I am reading this thread.

Love it. - I have my shopping list ready!

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi ladies: I have had hot flashes for years but now the HOT FLASHES are incredible!!! I didn't think a hot flash could get much worse until now...

Bevin: I can't use effexor any other ideas - just started arimidex last week and already had hot flashes before I started but now the night sweats and clammy all at the same time - kinda getting freaked.. I really like the idea of a chill suit but just finished rads and was told no ice packs on the area LOL...

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited August 2011
    Options

sas-schatzi wrote:
    Figures the Japanese have invented an AC clothing. They already have toilets that wash your bottom and then blow it dry

Get out of here!!! LOL! 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited August 2011
    Options

Wenweb----in 1996, I tired to patent the sleeve you see athletes wearing. The patent was issued 14 months before my patent lawyers search. Bummer.

What brought me to the idea was. My Mom was quite ill. She reached the status that the slightest thing would cause a skin tear. In treating a skin tear, I created another one. So, my mind went to work. The easy part was wrap the whole arm in the dressing and apply the tape to the dressing, but it kept slipping. How to anchor it. I used mens knee high tube socks, Terry cloth(cushioning) Wilson brand. Tube socks b/c there was no seam. Cut the toe segment off. Slipped the toe segment up the arm over the dressing. The upper portion went to mid humerus(upper arm). The ribbed portion( which would have been at the knee) was at the wrist. Skin tear healed beautifully. At the end of one week. I also noticed that all the bruising which was extensive was gone. HMMMM. Her hand was still bruised miserably. So, cut a slit for the thumb to go through ( small) in the ribbed portion and pulled that done over her hand. The thumb was the anchor to keep it over the back of the hand. Again , in a week all bruising was gone. So, I figured we might have something. Well, 14 months to late. My Mom was delighted b/c even at 81 , her arms looking such a mess made her self conscious. After she became well, she wore them as needed for the rest of her life. I even wore them this past winter, as Florida had the coldest winter on record. With hotflashing they were easy to tear off LOL.

With a shirt on it looked like the arms of , perhaps, a turtleneck, but didn't add the warmth of a full shirt. I thought there might be an application for anyone wanting an extra layer on the arms , but not on the body. Besides what I used it for,  those that were cold sensitive, all outdoors activities, could benefit. The inventor who received the patent didn't do anything with them for along time or so I thought. I kept watching everywhere for them. The next Olympics , I saw them on some track & field Olympians. I jumped out of my chair. Bummer. We were so, committed to the idea, we spent the money for the search and name copyright, when my husband was layed off and being very careful with one income (I'm cheap).

When there appeared to be a need in my patients like my moms, I would tell them her story. The fact that I lost the patent, help to motivate them to get them LOL. The fact that it was terry cloth was lost on one family , when they brought in mens thin dress socksUndecided. The first patient, that came into the hospital, with the tube socks on, that I hadn't told, said it was being passed by word of mouth. All I could do is feel happy that one person to the next was benefiting.

Ahhhhh we all have had ideas. I looked at the money expenditure as a learning experience, not fruitful economically, but like I say the first patient that came in with them on, said it all.

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011
    Options

Athena-no kidding on the toilet. It might be ten years even. They combined the toilet with the features of a bidet and a blow dryer. Forgot to add the seat can be warmed too

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Bevin       If you can't find a Glycemic Index food identification list. I can fax a copy. I have no skill at scanning and emailing. It's important that you don't let your foods sabotage your experiment. High Glycemic foods will elevate blood sugar, just as known sugars like candy/ sweets/ chocolate(HMMM). So, if you don't watch those foods throughout your whole self experiment, you could get a false reaction. i.e abstaining from sweets, but eating high Glycemic foods that elevate blood sugar. If your premise/ hypothesis is that sugars trigger your flashes, diet monitoring during this time is important to prove your hypothesis, conversely could sink it.Cool
  • Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited August 2011
    Options

I don't care so much about the glycemic index foods, but was wondering where I can get a toilet like that????  Wink

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011
    Options

n3ybp---------hey have missed you----------omaz and you volunteered to help with the survey. I haven't be able to get motivated on my own, plus this medium is beyond me. I'm still in the paper era. LOL I'm guessing you have been keeping up. Is a questionaire something that we can accomplish? It's Ok with the mods as long as they see the questions before hand. It would obviously be a different thread.  DUH whatup?

Toilets available in USA

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited August 2011
    Options
    sas - Yeah, let's do some questions.  I'll think hard.
  • sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011
    Options

Omaz -There are so many things to work out.  Once we set it up, it has to go for a specified period of time. Now that there is going to be a limitation of how many people, one person can be on BCO that will help. How to limit posting to one time is important in order to not skew the data. ____OH well hungry and tired---------Namaste

Edit-DUH left out a few words, I couldn't even make sense of itUndecided

• Joyc1
    Joyc1 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hot flashes bad and was drenched with sweat , gp was great and started me on gabapentin which worked a treat!!!

• gmafoley
    edited August 2011
    Options

Joyc you too? - I actually started gabapentin for breast nerve pain but PA told me to stay on it because I will need it for the SE's from the arimidex...

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sas & Omaz, sorry to have deserted you on the questions for a bit - have been on vacation and not engaging the brain in too strenuous activity.  Will get back on it  next week!

• Makratz
    Makratz Member Posts: 1,605
    edited August 2011
    Options

I take gabapentin for hot flashes too.  Wasn't sure it was still working after a year so I stopped.  The hot flashes were even worse!  I'm back on it.  I still get them but know if could be worse!

• gmafoley
    edited August 2011
    Options

Makraz: PA told me yesterday that is a rebound affect and if you try to get off of it slower, you might not have that issue...On the other hand, it could be working that well?? That IS encouraging for me...being I just started using it..

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011
    Options
    GMA-------I added your comment as well as Omaz's to the ----to all observation on the previous page.  Eventually when we get to the survey we will have worked out the bugs of a survey. Rebound phenomenon is known with many drugs.  As I said in my post after  the "to all" post I definitely will think long and hard before I interrupt this hateful Aromasin. As my flashes are so much less than they used to be. AND I don't want to go back there again.
  • jsmiley60
    jsmiley60 Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2011
    Options

Okay the other night at 10:50 p.m. my fan motor burnt up, so there I was at Meijer at 11 at night buying a fan. I can't sleep without MY FAN!!! (even w a/c on....) Sigh! Glad Meijer is open 24 hours........ :)

• cjwynn1994
    cjwynn1994 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi,,  My Doctor put me on Neurotin 300mg 3  times a day for the pricklies. You might try that! :)

• Suzybelle
    Suzybelle Member Posts: 102
    edited August 2011
    Options

No worries - I'm now working a 2nd job as an emergency generator.

My hot flashes could power a small city at this point.  I'm like Elvis during the Vegas years.  It's unbelievable.

• Makratz
    edited August 2011
    Options

cjw, I think neurotin is gabapentin.  I am supposed to take 300mg three times a day but only take it once, before bed. 

GMA, I'm hoping it is working that well ;)

LOL, suzy, together we could power the east coast!

Jeanne, I do the same thing, fan on the night stand directed at me, even if the air is on!  I could make it snow in my house and still be hot!

• jsmiley60
    jsmiley60 Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2011
    Options

Makraz: LOL! That's hilarious about making it snow.......I have a fan at work too. My coworkers complain about how cold it is in here and I have my fan on! Oh well........when you are hot, you are hot! ;)

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2011
    Options

I think you ladies have hit on the solution to the world's energy troubles ... power up the hot flashers — problem solved! ;-)

• Faithroad
    Faithroad Member Posts: 165
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I haven't been here in a while.  But my o my I've had such hotflashes tonight.  Has anyone ever noticed if certain foods can triger them?

I seem to sweat right through my clothes onto the couch.  I now keep a microfleece on my couch to protect it so my sweat does discolor it.  I get up and the back of my shirt is wet, the seat of my pants and behind my knees.  Jeepers!!!
  • bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi SAS - thanks for the advice - will definately try to reduce high glycemic foods too!

Faithroad- My hotflashes are that strong too without my effexor.  I would drip and sweat right through my clothes.  I guess all that flashing means the pills are doing their job . 

• YamahaMama
    YamahaMama Member Posts: 107
    edited August 2011
    Options

Makraz and Suzybelle, I have the Midwest covered!  Any takers for the West Coast? 

I picked up my prescription for Tamoxifen yesterday...reading through the accompanying materials last night, and the first SE listed is hot flashes.  I know we're all aware of this SE, but since I'm flashing like crazy NOW, and I'm not even TAKING it yet, what in the heck is going to happen when I start?????  And, as much as I long to have my hair back, I can't imagine what it would be like with hair right now.  I get a flash, and my head is pouring out sweat.  Without more than 1/2 inch of hair, I can just wipe it off right now, but that won't be happening when I get hair back.  The joys of bc... 

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2011
    Options

Yamaha, Suzybelle, Makraz---please take the time to read from the beginning-------There are so many good suggestions from all the women here. We have found that we all have different responses to things, but have found common things too. If you don't read from the beginning, something important to you may be missed. It will also explain that eventually, we as a group are going to try to make sense of it, by a survey. So, understanding what has gone on before is important, so that ultimately you will be able to help us. 

• gmafoley
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Natalie - I have the North West covered... but started taking garapentin (neurontin) for post-rad nerve pain in my breast and I just started the arimidex last week... noticing the hot flashes aren't as bad as they were last week Undecided thinking that I might need some help from another that is having hotter flashes than me ROFL....
  • Makratz
    edited August 2011
    Options

sas - I will read from the beginning when I have time....soon...I promise!

BTW, I have the east coast covered.  DH and sons laugh at me because I am a stay at home Mom.  When they come home from school and work, in the middle of the winter, I have the heat on 60.  They are freezing and I'm still having hot flashes!

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited August 2011
    Options

My MO told me yesterday that the hot flashes I experience during chemo should be the same as I experience on tamoxifen, no better or worse. Was this your experience?

Right now I experience warm waves in the middle of the night between approx 3:30-6:00 am. I do not sweat profusely, but cannot sleep during this time, I'm just too uncomfortable and hot. I somehow believe that the hot flashes will increase significantly on tamoxifen.

I anticipate starting tamoxifen early September. Oh the joys of bc.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Tamoxifen had no effect on my hot flashes DebRox!  Oh the joys indeed.