Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hot Flash Forum!

Options

Comments

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2011
    Options

Menopret is the spelling, finally found it.  They claim it helps with mood swings too !  Should I order a lifetime supply ?

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options

They have it at Amazon.com.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Omaz: someone told me that you have a good regimen for radiation cream.  Is that true?  If so, can you please share.  I am burningFrown
  • omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    mamma - I'll pm it to you-  Sorry that you are burning!!
  • MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited July 2011
    Options

Omaz - will u PM it to me too? I start rads in a few weeks and am a nervous wreck!

• CathyinSpring
    CathyinSpring Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi ladies! After suffering from hot flashes and intense night sweats (I was waking up 3 times a nite soaking wet), I finally have the right combination of meds to help. I've been taking 150 mgs of Effexor and 1200 mgs of Neurontin daily. I have literally tried everything over the past 2 years, and nothing helped. For the last 2 months I haven't had any nite sweats, and my hot flashes are very mild. Of course I would prefer that the natural supplements would have helped, but my family is very happy now that I'm not so cranky anymore!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882
    edited July 2011
    Options

I'm on Tamox.  I'm perimenopausal.  I have a least one hot flash ever half hour, maybe two or three, and I mean all day and night long so I probably have 40-50 a day.  There are times I wish I could rip my own sweaty head right off.  I've reduced my Tamox. dosage down to half (10mg.) which my MO does not really like, and guess what?  It barely helps.

I know what did help.  Cymbalta helped me but that is something that should not be taken with Tamox. because it reduces the effectiveness of Tamox.  I am going to try a very low dose of Effexor soon.  Some of the women report that that helps them. 

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    MamaV - Sent you a PM.
  • shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited July 2011
    Options

One word for you Flashers - EFFEXOR!!! I am in chemopause at 44. I started taking it about 3 weeks ago and not only have my hot flashes decreased in number and severity, but my aches and pains from anastrazole have almost completely subsided as well. I'm taking the lowest dose, 37.5 mg but was told I can take two if needed. I feel so much better!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2011
    Options

I am in the process of tapering off of Effexor. No reduction in hot flashes. I too am perimenopasusal (tho was having "natural" hot flashes for about a year before I got diagnosed with BC). My moods are more even, but honestly, I need more help with the flashes! Was on Effexor 2 months. In the summertime when it's 100 degrees out this is getting hard to deal with. Elimar I feel like you...want to rip my own sweaty head off! Thank God I can at least pin up my hair and get some relief.

I was trying to find the product DebRox suggested, Shannon thanks for tracking it down! Let me know if you start it! 

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2011
    Options

Renn - I ordered it !  I will try anything.  I thought you yesterday when a hot flash woke me up from the sweetest nap.  I am going to purchase dueling fans today.  

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    edited July 2011
    Options

Gabapentin is great for joint pain as well as night sweats and hot flashes

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options

Shannon: LOL! Let us know how it works for ya!

Karen1956: How long have you used the gabapentin? And what is it? 

• jteach
    jteach Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi ladies!

Is Effexor for a specific type of patient?( triple pos, triple neg, etc.) or can it be enjoyed by any woman already taking 1200mg of gabapentin?  I've tried the black cohosh, peridan-c, praying.  My entire head heats up like a furnace, sweat drips down my face and off of my nose.  It's horrifying!!!!SurprisedAny insight would be appreciated!   Janice 

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    jtteach - I don't think Effexor is limited to a specific type of patient.  I think it's an anti-depressant in it's other life.  My onc also recommended megace if you haven't tried that and want to look into it. 
  • elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882
    edited July 2011
    Options

Rennasus & jteach: Gabapentin is the generic of Neurontin, and is an anti-convulsant (anti-seizure) drug.  It's used off-label for other things, like neuropathic pain.  The drug itself has been around a fairly long time, is not too terrible with S/E's, compared to many other drugs out there.  I heard that it could help with hot flashes.  I took it myslef for fibromyalgia pain, however, it not only did not do the trick for me with that, it did nothing for my hot flashes and it gave me insomnia.

CathyinSpring writes above about taking gabapentin with Effexor, and is having good results.  Personally, would not take it with Effexor.  There is moderate interaction and it can depress respiration and the central nervous system in some people.  That makes me nervous, but I guess anyone can check into that further with a doctor.

I hope everyone reading this understands that it is kind of hit or miss with these drugs that alter your brain chemistry (the SSRI's, the SNRI's, the anti-convulsants.)  What works for one can fail miserably for another.  

I don't know very much about "natural" products for hot flashes.  Nothing against them, but just limited experience.  May try some at a future time.  The thing is, there can be interaction with the "natural" remedies and the prescription drugs, so I try to avoid taking more than one substance if I can.  Tamox. is already in the mix, and I am constantly Googling the interactions on that.

Speaking of which...I forget if anyone mentioned Benadryl.  Well, people have noticed that Benadryl does cut down the hot flashes, but women on Tamox. should not take it because it reduces the effectiveness of the Tamox.  I don't know if it is the same for women on AI's.

The only thing that really helped my hot flashes so far has been the cooler, less humid conditions of the Winter mos....but what do I do the other NINE MONTHS?!?!?!?!?

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited July 2011
    Options

HI Everyone- flashes are awful!!

I went into menopause early ( family trend) and with my AI, use Effexor. Only 37.5mg, lowest dose and  not therapeutic for its antidepressent effects BUT very very effective with HOtFlashes. It did take about 6 weeks to build up and be fully effective. At first I didnt think it would work as I didnt quickly notice any change or reduction in my HotFlashes.  But as Doc said, it takes a few weeks to build up and after 8 weeks I was mostly hot flash free. The only thing I notice now that will bring one on is alcoholic beverages :(

Effexor BTW does not effect Tamox or AI's so oncologists will prescribe it and works for er+ and negative cancers.

Good luck eveyrone, I love this thread!!

Bevin

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    bevin - Did you notice any effects other than on hot flashes?
  • bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited July 2011
    Options

HI Omaz- yes, My hair is falling out on my top head, near the crown I guess it is. The joint pain is less on aromoasin as compared to arimidex.  while the effexor takes away the hotflashes it isnt helping hair loss :(

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options

Like all drugs, Effexor has SE's so use caution if trying them out for hot flashes.

My seratonin is fine; my norepinephrine needs balancing. Effexor prevents the uptake of *both* serotonin and norepinephrine. So it wasn't the drug for me at all. Made me edgy and anxious and I couldn't sleep. But it turns out it *did* help with my hot flashes (altho when I was taking it I didn't think so!). Now that I'm off of Effexor completely, my hot flashes are much worse. 

I was a Wellbutrin gal. It worked great for me because it inhibits norepinephrine and dopamine but *not* my serotonin. When I started Tamoxifen I found out it interacts with Wellbutrin (they compete for the same liver enzyme) so I had to stop the Wellbutrin. That's when my doctor said let's try Effexor. Frown all around.

Make note of your SEs and talk to your doctor about them. These drugs are very powerful and can really mess you up until they are out of your system.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hello all, this might be a strange question.  I went into chemo-pause during treatment about 5 months ago and started to experience hot flashes.  I just started tamoxifen a week ago.  Since my first experience with hot flashes they have been on a schedule?  Seriously they start around 5pm every night, come in waves, then end around 1:30am.  Is this normal?  Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been as bad as I anticipated (although I know it will probably get worse), I just have never heard of hot flashes being on a 'schedule'.  Thank you for any feedback.

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited July 2011
    Options

Proud mom - I so the same thing - hot flashes in the evening and early am daily but not other times.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited August 2013
    Options

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/754935?page=1

Hi folks, I wrote some things on this thread as far as practical things related to flashing. This thread was in response to someone having a skin infection problem, I added flashing instructions over several posts. So, it wasn't a simple cut and paste.

Two things that I didn't put there. First, I put top sheets in one basket and pillow cases in the another basket and kept them in my room versus trying to find them in the linen cupboard late at night. I say top sheets only b/c they are easy to whip off and throw a new one on, instead of fighting with corners when you're already tired. Works really well. Have been doing it this way for 2 1/2 years.

Secondly just a few days ago started using a Lasko fan that is designed to dry floors after flooding. It is amazing how much air it puts out versus a standard box fan or over head fan. Lasko type FB model number 4914  with four numbers below it 7360. Not sure the significance of the 7360. At this point I think I will get couple more. I have it sitting on a chair and move to a table when I change rooms. Measures 9 1/2 by 11 1/2. The force is enough to dry your hair with LOL. It's designed so you can set it, with air going up versus towards the floor.

EDIT:8/24/2013 Lasko fans are energy hogs, can add allot to the monthly bill. They do put the air out, but at a very high cost.

• Rennasus
    edited July 2011
    Options

SAS thanks for the tips! Will look into that fan, it sounds awesome! I am now keeping a spray bottle of water near my bed at night.

Proud Mom and MamaV: I too notice the flashes come at consistent times. 3:30AM until i get up (they last about half an hour from initial chills to full-on flash). Then I get them in the afternoon before dinner and until bedtime.

This is my first summer on Tamox and am finding it a challenge to deal with the summer heat and the hot flashes. I had my right TE removed on Wednesday so am also dealing with a compression wrap and a drain on top of all the heat. It's gotta get better than this!

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And it appears that the neurons that secrete the GNRH originate in the nose (wiki souce) - which made me wonder if  there are aromatherapy products for menopause and there are.  I don't like scents but apparently lemon, peppermint and clary sage are good for hot flashes.  Amazon has a product that I was thinking of ordering to try out called 'Hot Flashess Wellnes Oil'.  Anyone else try something like this?
  • omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    hillck - I have no idea!!  the thought of smelling things occurred to me from your post and when I read about the origin of the GNRH neurons in the nose.  What do you think?  I don't know anything about aromatherapy.
  • omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Good Luck!!!
  • dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited July 2011
    Options

I have no hot flashes until about 5 p.m. Then I'm sweating like crazy on and off until I go to sleep. During the night I will sometimes wake up and I'm absolutely drenched!  So I guess the sweating goes on until early morning. Unfortunately all that heat seems to bring on my atrial fibrillation (although the onc says Aromasin doesn't cause an increase in heart rhythm problems; supposedly none of the AIs do)

I try to drink lots of water - that seems to help- I know dehydration can cause atrial fib and it makes sense all the sweating is dehydrating..

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Omaz there's a Sherlock Holmes in you-----sheila

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

SRBCS------Whats" lots of" water mean------how much are you talking. Volume overload can also trigger A-fib CoolWeigh yourself at night and in the morning for several days write it down. Then take a couple of glasses of water before bedtime and do the same weight thing,

The Flashing we all have----It's just like the doc's saying AI's didn't cause muscle bone and joint problems Yeh.