Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hot Flash Forum!

Options

Comments

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    edited July 2011
    Options

Until I started Effexor, I was having hot flashes almost every 30 minutes. They seemed worse at night, and I did have a big one at 5:30 every morning that pretty much ended my ability to sleep further. It was terrible. So I do think they are on some kind of schedule.

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2011
    Options

OK - the Menopret and table top fans have arrived !  Lets see how these weapons added to my arsenal to fight Hot Flashes pan out.  

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Shannon - My menopret arrived too!  Are you going to try it tonight?
  • ShannonR
    edited July 2011
    Options

Plan on it, how about you ?

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited July 2011
    Options
    5 hours ago, edited 5 hours ago by sas-schatzi sas-schatzi wrote:

new thread on hot flashes --------some good info

http://community.breastcancer.org/78/topic/770796?page=1

Hi folks------I posted this on a bunch of threads-----it's a HOT topic  Winkthat hasn't been done before. The info here has many, many good suggestions. Thanks

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Shannon - Sure, why not!
  • sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    What is menopret and where do you get it?-----------It's probably already described , but I just couldn't resist such a good lead in lineLaughing
  • omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    sas - go to Amazon.com and type in menopret - I think debrox has tried it.
  • omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Shannon - I was thinking about it some more - I see my onc on Tuesday and I am just going to wait and clear it with him first. 
  • mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited July 2011
    Options

I bought the Chillow pillow.  It gets kind of hot by the morning.  Is something wrong?

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi All.  Just found this great thread.  If nothing else, misery loves company right?  I had been suffering menopausal hot flashes for 6 years prior to my BC DX, so it wasn't anything new when I started Arimidex.  My BS kept telling me that it meant the Arimidex was working (with a big smile on his face).  That made me feel a lot better...not.   Due to bone loss issues and the need for some dental work, I am now taking Tamoxifen, but only 10mg.  The flashes continue.

I mentioned this to my PCP the other day, and she prescribed Clonodine for the hot flashes.  Clonodine is a very old blood pressure medication and it must be an off label use because I didn't find anything in the drug monograph about it.  I haven't started to take it because I'm afraid to, but I thought some of you might be interested to know since being on Tamoxifen really limits what you can take.

Also, I haven't seen anyone post my precursor to a coming hot flash...I become thirsty.  It gives me about 30 seconds to get ready which means I can take off a layer of clothing, or get a drink of water :>)   

Happy flashing everyone.

Wendy 

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    wenweb - my precursor is slight nausea - though I think that is getting better.  I am familiar with clonidine since I used to take it for blood pressure.  I made me feel a little tired and have dry eyes. Did you get a patch or is it a pill?  My gyn suggested it but my onc didn't want to, but I don't know why.  Maybe he though there were better things from his point of view.  Now I am thinking at my gyn appt in Aug I may ask for it.  Thanks for reminding me about it. 
  • wenweb
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Omaz You are welcome.  What made me not want to try it was the dryness.  I already have dry eyes and don't want to add anything  that will make that worse.  The tiredness would be of benefit since I don't sleep well most nights.  I got the pill, the directions are to take 1/2 of the lowest dose...I might end up giving in.  It's nice to know that it's there if I decide to try it.
  • sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Wenweb and Omaz, I also started taking clonidine for BP a number of years ago. For me it caused a neuropathy of the hands, So I stopped taking it. All drugs have s.e., each of them effects us differently. What may work for one, may be a problem  for another. The ideal is to get samples from the doc or a small amount of the drug for and initial try. If S.E. develop that aren't tolerable, stop the drug.

• wenweb
    edited July 2011
    Options
    sas-achatzi Thank-you for the heads up.  I never would have  thought that a BP med would/could cause neuropathy.  I've been living with hot flashes for nearly 8 years what's a few more Cry
  • omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    wenweb - 8 years! Oh my.
  • theresap60
    theresap60 Member Posts: 849
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi all - my hot flashes are "doable" but very annoying... I call it my "hot and bothered" state of being.  I'm on a low dose of Lexapro (anti-depressant) and also have a fan blowing on me at night.  Mine hit after dinner... like when I'm washing dishes with warm water or after taking a shower.  I have hand fans and mechanical fans and air conditioning.  Light covers, on then off then on then off, etc.  By morning, I'm chilly.  When I get ready for work, I get "hot and bothered."  I have water next to my bed b/c I get thirsty ... don't know if it's tamoxifen or the hot flashes or both.  Someone told me to breathe deeply from your abdomen until they pass.  I keep forgetting that advice, but remember that it does help.  I rarely drink wine or any alcohol b/c it triggers a hot flash.  I'd be interested to find out about the aroma therapy.

• jteach
    jteach Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2011
    Options

OH MY INDEED!!!!!!!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2011
    Options

The thirst...oh yes, I have that too! It's all part of my nightly Hot Flash ritual:

Wake up. Drink water. Go pee. Splash water on face, arms and legs in preparation for hot flash. By the time I'm back in bed, my skin is raging hot (I never sweat with a hot flash ...is that weird?). The fan then evaporates the water so that I then have the chills. Cover back up, fall asleep, repeat until dawn.

If anyone is trying the aromatherapy, yes, please let us know! 

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options

hillck - tsunami - LOL!  I ordered this from Amazon. 

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2011
    Options

HILLCK: You go girl!! I am excited to see if this works!

Omaz, what's in that "wellness oil" (don't ya just love the name?) 

At this point, every remedy looks promising to me! 

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options

Renn - I found this:

Nature's Inventory Wellness Oil 100% Organic Hot Flash Relief contains Peppermint essential oil, which has a wonderful cooling effect on your body while lemon, clary sage, and geranium all contribute to balancing your hormones naturally.  

I would add - to balancing your hormones naturally ...through your nose!   (c:

• ShannonR
    edited July 2011
    Options

I started the menopret two days ago (right ?)  WORST DAY EVER IN THE FLASH DEPARTMENT changed my clothes 3 times today !  Thank goodness I do not always have to wear a bra. But, I have to say the nights have been better, will keep you posted.  

Omaz let me know what your ONC says.

Some friends of mine here said there ONC recommends DIM, anyone else ?

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options

Shannon - Oh NO!  that doesn't sound good.

My onc approved me to enroll in a study here that is comparing tamoxifen+DIM to Tamoxifen alone on breast density and recurrence.  

• ShannonR
    edited July 2011
    Options

Omaz - Cool, I heard it helps with TX SE's has he addressed this ?

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Shannon - No, but I don't go to the pre-enrollment meeting until August so I guess I'll find out more then.
  • VJSL8
    VJSL8 Member Posts: 486
    edited July 2011
    Options

Best ice pack is one I've made myself--I take 2 large zip-loc bags, put one bag inside the other (just in case one breaks),  fill the inside one--half water and half vodka and freeze--the vodka never freezes solid (stay slushy) and stays ice cold for a long time and it wraps around my head and neck or where ever I need it. 

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options

Good idea!

• wenweb
    edited July 2011
    Options

Forgive my ignorance, but what is DIM?

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    wen - It's an abbreviation of the chemical name for an extract of broccoli.  I don't know very much more about it.