Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hot Flash Forum!

Options

Comments

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    edited July 2011
    Options

When I take antihistamines for sleep, I don't get hot flashes.  When I used to take ambien, I also didn't get any hot flashes.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Deb - What is Peridin-C. ?
  • YamahaMama
    YamahaMama Member Posts: 107
    edited July 2011
    Options

I think I'm going to fall in love with this thread...  Just sayin'...  Laughing 

First of all...anyone know of any chain stores for Chillows?  Not having any luck finding any local retailers on line, and would rather buy local than order, if possible. 

Second, I was in perimenopause prior to chemo, so was no stranger to hot flashes.  I just finished chemo last week, and have yet to start Tamox.  In the last year or so, (prior to BC DX), I had taken to sleeping almost nude, because of the hot flashes.  My poor DH doesn't get any good sleep any more, with me throwing the covers off, which uncovers him, also, then pulling them back on, then throwing them off, then...  You all KNOW what I'm saying!  I've blamed my poodle for this, because she is a little six-pound heating machine, but I truly don't think it's her fault...poor baby.  But, she likes to sleep under the covers, and with her heat and mine, it gets to be a sauna at times!  Unfortunately, I let her sleep under the covers when she was a puppy, prior to my flashing, and it's hard to break some of those early habits!  She will now sometimes sleep on TOP of the covers, and I think it's because it just gets too hot...  She has learned to move VERY quickly if she senses a shift in covers, lest she get tossed with them...  Frown 

I had noticed the flashes seemed to be getting worse with each chemo.  After the last couple, I got them during an MLD treatment for lymphedema, and my PT always knew when I started getting one.  She told me the MLD could trigger a flash, and gave me a cool washrag to lie on the back of my head.  She suggested placing an ice pack in the inside crook of my elbow, but I'm not sure if that was for too much heat with my sleeve on, or for a flash in general.  As I sit here typing, I feel one starting right now--DAMN!  Head is starting to get warm, and whole upper body is heating up...  Time to try the elbow. 

I went to the freezer just now and grabbed one of the round ice packs they sent me home with after my biopsy (the ones that look like nursing pads), and stuck it in the crook of my arm.  My hot flash did NOT materialize.  However, I had to walk over the AC vent on my way to the freezer, and had to practically stick my head in the freezer while I was grabbing the pad.  So, will have to test that again, but the back of my head is NOT dripping with sweat!  Yay!

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yamamhamama - Do you have a remote controlled stand fan for the bedroom with a timer?  Really helps.
  • YamahaMama
    edited July 2011
    Options

Omaz, I do have a RC fan in the bedroom, but no timer.  I haven't pinpointed any time that I seem to start flashing, but I guess I never realized it might be on some sort of schedule.  I'll have to look into that for sure...  Coincidentally, I was half-looking at some of those Dyson fans earlier today!  LOL...then tonight, VOILA!  This thread!

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Yama-I use the timer more to turn it off so I don't freeze after the flash (LOL).  So I start the flash, kick off covers, blast fan, click timer and slowly go back to sleep.  Before I get cold the fan will shut off.  I agree, this is a great thread.  Scares me though that some women have these flashes for years!  OMG that sucks!
  • billiegirl
    billiegirl Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Options

I tried everything OTC, including the CHILLOW PILLOW. The pillow was soothing, but did not stop the horrible night sweats, chills or the 2-minute over-whelming waves of heat and sweating. Even tried AMBEREN. Nothing helped. Have now been taking ACAI Berry capsuls 1000mg 1x daily for about 2 yrs. Took a week or 2 for the hot flashes to STOP completely (had delt with them for 4 years since diag. and 2 years in the 90's before beginning Premarin which they took away from me at dx even though ER- ) If I miss a few days of the ACAI Berry the hot flashes start coming back. Mine occurances went from 60 -100 a day down to maybe 1 or 2 a month! Also, sticking those small "childrens boo boo" ice packs in the bra gave some temporary relief. 

• 40-years-old-now
    40-years-old-now Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    Options

ok I dont think what I have is hot flashes, they last for 4-6 HOURS, yes hours. I was prescribed clonidine .1mg (brand name catapres 0.1mg), I have been on gabepentine 300mg(spelled wrong) for 1 1/2 months about. I love that med. I have been taking it with vicodine 5/500mg . I have bone mets that causes me great pain in my leg and arm. I cant walk right, have to use a walker in the house.

So does anyone else have Hot Flashes for prolong times?

Candice

• ritaz
    ritaz Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2011
    Options

Acai berry?  Really?  I have those - I'm willing to try anything (well, mostly anything) to stop the night sweats...I have an overhead fan that just goes all the time...throw off the covers, cool down with the fan - pull the covers back on when I get cold...throw off the covers...It's a cycle that doesn't seem to end all night...

Thanks for the tip of Acai berry billiegirl...

• YamahaMama
    edited July 2011
    Options

Another thing...my LE therapist said she has a small freezer or frig in her bedroom, so she doesn't have to go downstairs for water or an ice pack when she gets nightsweats.  She's not a BC patient, but it might be helpful to some of us?  (Sorry...I don't remember the details, but I was in a major chemo fog at that appointment.)

• ShannonR
    ShannonR Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2011
    Options

Remote control fan with a timer !  Genius !  One more item to add to my arsenal in the fight against hot flashes.  

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited August 2013
    Options

Any one try the Lasko fan  type FB model number 4914. Type of fan to dry out wall and flooring after a flood--measures 12x 12 10. Puts out a lot of air-depending on the sweat. I had it in the garage from a previous problem. Thought why am I wasting this.

EDIT8/24/2013--don't use this fan --energy hog ---will add many dollars to monthly bill

So, many drug choices , now where to start.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882
    edited July 2011
    Options

Going back a bit to those that use an antihistamine to sleep...women on Tamox. are not supposed to use Benadryl, as the two drug use the same liver enzyme and it may reduce the effectiveness of the Tamox.

• Mom_of_boys
    Mom_of_boys Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I've got my shopping list in hand now...Laughing
  • ShannonR
    edited July 2011
    Options

Elimar - thank you for explaining why Benadryl and Tamox together are not a good idea.

Mom of Boys - Me too !  3 boys.  What is on your shopping list ?  Dont forget a frog tog !  they are fabulous !

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited July 2011
    Options

I have seen chillows at Wallgreens before. 

I only saw one person respond to taking their actual temperature while having a hot flash.  Am I the only one who's body feels boiling but temp remains in the low 96-97's?

What brand Acai works for the hot flashes?

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

For those with a pool-------fall in

• msmpatty
    msmpatty Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2011
    Options

This is a great thread!  Here's a possible explanation of why we feel so hot but our body temp is actually normal or low.  It comes from a BCO article on hot flashes...

A diminished level of estrogen has a direct effect on the hypothalamus, the part of the brain responsible for controlling your appetite, sleep cycles, sex hormones, and body temperature. Somehow (we don't know how), the drop in estrogen confuses the hypothalamus - which is sometimes referred to as the body's "thermostat" - and makes it read "too hot."

The brain responds to this report by broadcasting an all-out alert to the heart, blood vessels, and nervous system: "Get rid of the heat!" The message is transmitted by the nervous system's chemical messenger, epinephrine, and related compounds: norepinephrine, prostaglandin, serotonin. The message is delivered instantly. Your heart pumps faster, the blood vessels in your skin dilate to circulate more blood to radiate off the heat, and your sweat glands release sweat to cool you off even more.

This heat-releasing mechanism is how your body keeps you from overheating in the summer, but when the process is triggered instead by a drop in estrogen, your brain's confused response can make you very uncomfortable. Some women's skin temperature can rise six degrees Centigrade during a hot flash. Your body cools down when it shouldn't, and you are miserable: soaking wet in the middle of a board meeting or in the middle of a good night's sleep.

Seems we are not really hot, but our brain thinks we are and the body responds.  Weird.

Patty

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options
    sas-schatzi wrote:

New thread on social security questions answered by a lawyer whose wife has BC. Knows his stuff------posting on a bunch of threads---------go to financial forum

Can't make link work without trouble, not up for it.

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2011
    Options

msmpatty and sas-schatzi Thank-you both for the interesting and useful information.

Does anyone know how long it takes Clonidine to help with the hot flashes?  I am 3 days in, but at the same time, our weather has cooled off and gotten less humid so I don't know if it's the med or the drop in humidity that are making my hot flashes a tad less intense.

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Shannon- are you still trying the menopret?
  • Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2011
    Options

wow, a few days away and this thread is Whizzing by! 

38-yrs-old: I haven't heard of anyone having very prolonged (hour-long) flashes like you are experiencing. Maybe someone else will chime in? Have you spoken to your doc?

msmpatty thanks for the BCO explanation of ht flashes. It really helps me understand what is happening biologically/systemically/etc. 

Very interested in the acai berry mention...

Agree, remote-control timer on fan is GENIUS! 

• 40-years-old-now
    40-years-old-now Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    Options

Rennasus- Yes I have talked to the doctors, or nurses to be exact. My family doctor put me on clonidine. They seem to be getting alittle less on the meds. I am not down to about 3 hours for most of them. Then I get terrible chills.

Thanks for the responce. Some days I feel as if my posts go unoticed.

Candice

• wenweb
    wenweb Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2011
    Options

Candice How long did it take before you noticed slightly less hot flashing from the Clonidine?  Also, what dose are you taking?  I just started taking it 3 days ago.

Thanks 

• MBJ
    edited July 2011
    Options

msmpatty:  Thank you for the great info!

• MBJ
    edited July 2011
    Options

Great forum!

• jsmiley60
    jsmiley60 Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2011
    Options

This is a great forum! Some of you ladies REALLY have the hot flashes bad...I feel stupid for even complaining about mine.

I am on clonidine for high blood pressure - I wear a .3 mg patch and I still have hot flashes, BUT I don't really sweat with them, just get hot, feel flushed for a few minutes. At night is when they really bother me. It has been really hot here in Ohio and I have the a/c on 70 at night, have the ceiling fan on high and have a fan blowing right on me and I STILL get flashes or just get too hot so I can't sleep. It is so aggravating!!! I am really grateful I am on the clonidine cause I'm thinking they would be a lot worse if I wasn't.

Not sure about the chillow or the acai berry......I'm afraid to spend more money on stuff that might not work for me. I have a friend that takes Effexor for the hot flashes and it really helps her (she is a survivor too). I take another anti-depressant and am not willing to switch to Effexor because I took it before and had weird side effects. Some of you may want to ask your doc about effexor.

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Options

My update:

Started taking menopret (black cohosh main ingredient) a few weeks ago and found after taking it 6 consecutive nights, my night flashes were diminishing.  I was pleased......

However, 2 of those mornings I awoke with unexplained extreme itchiness on my hands and feet that spread up my arms and legs and torso.  I do not know if this is an allergic reaction to menopret or to taxotere as I am undergoing active chemo tx. My itchiness did subside and I have no idea what caused it.

I decided to discontinue menopret until finished chemo.  My last tx is July 26 and that day can not come soon enough!!! 

• ShannonR
    edited July 2011
    Options

Menopret is definetly helping me !  I don't sweat any more with the flashes they are more like warm waves about 6 times a day.  

DebRox, hate you are having a rash, July 26th is not far off !   

• omaz
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Shannon - That's great!!  The box is sitting right here, I'll try it.  I am a bit chicken with new stuff.