Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2012

Shae, I am happy for you.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2012

SHAE: I added you to the list! I have to be at the hospital at 6AM, so we are going in at the same time (though you being east coast, me being west, you'll likely be done by the time I go in). We have some company: Dunesleeper goes in for exchange the day before us!

If I have forgotten to list anyone, please send me a private message! ;-)

For me, 5 is my magic number: After 5 months of trying to save my right TE, it was removed and I had to wait 5 months before putting it back in. By the time I get my squishies, I will have waited 10 months (5+5) since the TE was replaced! Did I mention I was on the slo-mo train? ;-)

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited August 2012

I can't wait to get the squishies ..had BMX 1 year ago...

• undercoverebel
    undercoverebel Member Posts: 574
    edited August 2012

Hi everyone,I don't know if this spells T.E. trouble but hoping someone can tell me. I had an undisolved stitch removed last friday(6 weeks post-op). A scab formed but near it appeared 2 little,yellowish spots. I've been lurking for awhile on this thread and heard about the dreaded yellow spots. I don't know if it's infected,I don't have a fever or pain. Is it possible they'll pop or just get smaller and not become an issue?

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited August 2012

undercoverrebel - You need to call your doctor. I had no fever or pain when I had an infection. Are the yellow spots on the skin or coming up like a pimple? I couldn't tell by your description. Either way, yellow means you call the doctor.

Michelle

• undercoverebel
    edited August 2012

BCA-They look fairly flat,not raised that much. I think they're on the skin. They're not very dark but do have a yellowish look to them. I am now sending a pic to the PS thru the net and i'll see what she says. I appreciate the advice,I don't want to push the panic button but...I've had issues with lefty since the boidegradable stitch didn't dissolve.

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2012

undercover - Oh good! There is no reason to take chances. If you push the 'panic button' and it turns out to be nothing, then it was really 'that was easy' button you pressed. Either way don't hesitate to push that button!

Keep us updated!

Michelle

• undercoverebel
    edited August 2012

Hahaha,hope it is the "that was easy" button. Will know more tonight/tomorrow morn. Thanx again.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Hoping for the that was easy button for you!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2012

undercover: So sorry to hear you have the dreaded yellow spots. I dealt with that too. Had a bad case of delayed healing (not infection).

EDITED TO FIX LINKS: See my blog (March 2012 post entitled "delayed healing" and July 2012 post entitled "Giving Up the Ghost").

The good news? The hole eventually healed and I am finally having my exchange in a week. The best thing you can do is what you're already doing: keep photographing the spots every day so you can tell if they are getting bigger. And like BCavenger said, keep your PS informed and do what they tell you to do. Please let us know what your PS says tomorrow! {{{hugs}}}

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2012

Renasuss, I couldn't open your blog to see the pics but very interested.

Hugs,

Kat

• undercoverebel
    edited August 2012

Thanx Moon and Renn. The RN said it didn't look bad but could still be another stitch hiding in there. I go in Friday morn and will update you all.  And I also got nowhere with those links.

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited August 2012

Katarina:  After losing my right implant due to incision failure, my PS has suggested we may consider DIEP or TRAM Flap as a solution because of my weakened skin. So, apparently, there are alternatives.

I want both sides to be the same, however, so if we go with TRAM flap (yipee - tummy tuck) I'll have the other implant removed as well.  This concerns me though, because prior to BMX with TE I WANTED the TRAM and was told by 3 PS that my belly tissue was not good for that because I recently lost 137 lbs and the tissue was flabby and not good.  I like the tummy tuck as I do have the flappy stomach, but....if the breast will not be sufficient I don't want to go there.

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2012

undercover - Hoping to hear 'That was easy!' after your appointment!

I've got an appointment to go back into see my PS later this afternoon. My TE is half the size it was on Monday. I don't want to seem like the over anxious paranoid patient but people in my office have commented this morning that it's obviously shrank. If anything, I need to ask her what the effect of the TE shrinking has on keeping the area sufficiently stretched out. If it's shrinking this fast, I would think I need to go in twice a week to have it filled up to keep it sufficiently pumped up. Otherwise that area would not be stretched out long enough to adapt. This is my third TE on the right side. I'm typing out my thoughts here, it's keeping my anxiety down.

Michelle

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2012

BCAvenger - I think you are right - need to go in more frequently to keep the pressure on the internal side of the pectoral to keep it stretched.  Do you think they can accomodate this?

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

BCAvenger, so sorry to hear that your TE is leaking :(

How close were you to your final fill? Maybe another possibility would be to move your exchange date up depending on how close you were. 

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2012

SpecialK - I don't know. I need to write down my questions so I come across as calm. In my head, I'm not. lol

DLL - I had my final fill on August 8. That's why I'm nervous. After final fill, my PS lets them sit four weeks and then exchange, that put me one week shy of being able to do that. My surgery date is Oct 16th. That was the earliest possible date she could get because she doesn't have block time for the OR at my hospital. I can't go to another facility because my insurance limits me to the Mercy Hospital system. My worry is, if the area can't be sufficiently stretched for the amount of time she needs, then what? Her scheduler is supposed to looking into cancellations for an earlier spot but it took her almost a month to get the Oct date.

Michelle

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2012

Good luck, BCAvenger. Hopefully she will have a workable solution for you. I don't believe that decreasing the 4 week waiting period will have a significant impact on anything, but maybe others will chime in. 

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2012

Thanks DLL, the bigger issue is getting an earlier spot in the OR. I'll know more today, hopefully!

Michelle

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited August 2012

BCAvenger-So sorry it is leaking this fast.  This is exactally what happened to me.  I couldn't even keep the fill for 3 days.  I pray that she comes up with a solution for you.  Can she call it in as an emergency??  My only option was to replace the TE.  You don't want to have to go through that again!!!  This is a new PS right?  And she fixed some previous problems right?

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2012

chickadee - That's going to be my first question...can this be considered an emergency. She said she would have to put in for a time slot at midnight. I guess that's when drs who do not have OR slots can line up for first call in the OR. Yes, this is my new PS. She fixed all the previous problems. She's a miracle worker! If she assures me that she can keep filling me and it will be ok, I'll just have to literally take a chill pill. I am definitely NOT going to have a 4th TE! Like Tim Gunn would say....make it work!

Michelle 

• specialk
    edited August 2012

BCAvenger - put on your Tim Gunn hat beore you go and if they can't get you in sooner really press for the emergency slot if you can - I agree with DLL I think if they cut short the wait period on the TE it is not going to matter.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well!  I've been busy with work and PT appointments these days.  Chick, have you moved yet?

Congrats to those squishees exchanges!

I see my PT next week. Getting nervous that my 3-D nipples may not happen in October.  Now with all my swelling gone, there is a distinct difference between my right and left.  My right, where I lost skin because of the infection, just looks so much different than the left.  When I see him next Thursday, I am going to ask what we can do to balance things out.....if anything.

Flight tickets to NOLA have been purchased.  UGH.....guess I could always turn it into a full on vacation with my sister if nips are a "no go" right now.  Trying to prepare myself.

T   

• chickadee521
    edited August 2012

T- oh no on them not looking the same.  Maybe some fat grafting would help?  When my PS did my fatgrafting he also did a lift on one of them that was lower.  They look the same now.  Yes we moved.  About 3 weeks ago now.  Settling in nicely.  Thanks for asking!

BCA - Take the midnight time slot and RUN WITH IT! 

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited August 2012

BCA....throw that hissy fit! Make them bump a non critical person for your surgery! Maybe cry a little. Or hyperventilate in their office to emphasize your stress level. REMIND them this is your third expander, not your first . Lol. If I could finally get my onc to ok a petscan, you can get this done!

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited August 2012

BCA - yes, my TE removal was done close to midnight, as an 'add on' / 'standby' after all other surgery slots were done for the day.  Not an emeregency in comparison to other patients, but it seems yoru PS is willing to work late into the wee hours of the am to make it work.  Gotta love that!

Hang in there and I hope and pray this one works for you.

• Lifeafter
    edited August 2012

I HAVE A NEW SURGERY DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!! Change that date up there, it's now next Friday, September 7th!!!

Yesterday I went in and she filled me back up, I had lost over 200ccs since Monday. I didn't sleep last night because of the pressure from having to be pumped up again but I don't care now! I'm floating on air!

Michelle :-D

• chickadee521
    edited August 2012

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So happy for you that it is going to work out!!!!!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

BCA, so happy for you! Get them squishies!

• specialk
    edited August 2012

BCAvenger - awesome!!!  You must have skipped the Tim Gunn hat and gone straight to the Larry the Cable Guy Git R Done hat!