Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2012

My nip surgery will be done in the office with just a local.

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited October 2012

dll- they do nip surgeries in the office? Is that safe?

Has anyone had issues with insomnia after coming off of pain pills after surgery? For the last week I had decreased my pain pills from 1-2 every 3-4 hrs to only 1 at night. So I decided last night that I was not going to take any since I'm going back to work tomorrow. Don't want the drugged out effect when I go back tomorrow.  Just curious if it was me or if someone else has had issues.

• DLL66
    edited October 2012

Chrisrenee, yes it is safe. My PS does a lot of minor procedures in the office. (I had a TE & an implant removed in the office.) My BS removed my chemo port in his office surgery room too. Anytime they can save me from going under anesthesia I am all for it.

I wean myself off pain meds ASAP after surgery & have not had any issues with insomnia. Good luck at your first day back to work. 

• Chrisrenee77
    edited October 2012

dll- i had never heard of removing TE in an office. That kind of scares me. I was only taking the painpills because I still had drain tubes up until this past friday. Without the pain pill at night I would not sleep. I am hoping that I will not have to have any drain tubes on my exchange in December. Therefore, it will be easier to wean off of pain pills.

Good luck with your nip surgery.

• prettyinpinkterminator
    prettyinpinkterminator Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012

So, I had UMX with TE placement on Tuesday 10/2/12. I was filled 2/3 of the way to 200cc (final fill up will have me at 300cc) and the PS also used Alloderm. Both the BS and the PS were really pleased with how everything went and assured my parents that I would look great when all of this was finally done (I'm 26, unmarried, no kids, BTW). 

On 10/3, I was discharged from the hospital and everything seemed to be fine. No infection, incisions looked good. Everything has been okay until today when it looks like my expander has started deflating and my surgery bra is soaking wet as of late last night and all day today. My new foob is a lot softer and squishy today and yesterday it was hard as a rock. There is also a big indentation ring around the innermost edge of it. I am freaking out. I called my PS and he said that the wetness around the bra is probably from me accidentally pulling out my pain catheter/ONQ pump. He also said that the TE's are very durable and it's probably due to the initial swelling going down, but he will have me come in tomorrow to check everything. I can't help but be in hysterics right now. I just finally got over the fact that I had to have the MX once I saw how the new foob looked. I didn't feel as though I'd lost anything because I still had a bump there. But if I have to lose the TE, I will probably lose my mind. I'm really upset and scared right now.

Has anyone else ever had a deflation problem? My bf is really getting annoyed with me asking him over and over if it looks the same as it did yesterday, but I am so devastated right now. I can't bear the thought of losing this thing and having to start all over again -- or not being allowed to start over at all. I have to start rads in 6 weeks, so I'm worried.

Thanks...sorry to be such a freak...I'm not an expert on all this yet and I still feel pretty stupid about things most of the time...

• Chrisrenee77
    edited October 2012

Prettyinpink- I'm so sorry that this has happened to and so young. I thought I was young when diagnosed (35). I would not get too upset about it until tomorrow when you go into the PS. Hopefully all will be ok and it was just the catheter that you pulled out. Please keep us informed.

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited October 2012

Prettyinpink- try not to worry tonight. There are times when the TE fails, but it is very rare. If that is the case your PS may be able to replace it pretty quickly. I know it is hard to believe, but you do survive this reconstruction jurney. I've lost my TE twice due to infection. Just getting ready to schedule my third attempt at reconstruction. I've been without a breast for almost a year. It sucks, but you get through it. I'm sure you will be fine. Sending positive vibes your way! Best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited October 2012

pretty - for something like a leak (there is more than one on this thread who had a leak) they just do a swap - you do not have to leave the TE out for that.  It might set you back on the fill schedule but that is all.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2012

Prettyin, I had my left TE leak. It meant another surgery but it was a quick and easy one. NOT a big deal for ME ... of course, I've had many setbacks. 

Hey... here is my latest. Just got out of hospital. I fainted on Friday. 11 days after my 5th surgery in less than 7 months.  You have a BMX and your in the hospital for 2 days. You fall/faint/pass out and your in the hospital for 4 days.

According to physician - I'm anemic, dehydrated, under nourished and have high blood pressure.

According to Monkey me - this is what happens when you have 5 surgeries in less than 7 months.

I discount the "high blood pressure" because they're basing my "high" on what happens when they take my blood pressure from my leg after standing for minutes.  I refuse to let them take my pressure from my arm. doctor totally discounted the lympedema precautions.

there is more to this story but i'm exhausted. sooo happy to be home.

• specialk
    edited October 2012

GM - dang!  Try to stay upright, or just lay down!  Sorry this happened but take care of yourself!

• tfee
    tfee Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2012

momof3 - Ask for a scopalamine patch before surgery. I've used them my last 5 surgeries, and no puking! They just stick a little dot behind your ear. I leave my on for at least 48 to 72 hours to prevent post-surgical nausea.

prettyinpink - I won't say don't worry, but I hope you find it's something simple, then go home and get some sleep

greenmonkey - Get well soon. As for the hospital stay, I made a similar comparison with my PS: I got 24 hours with my BMX, but 48 hours when my TE was removed and I was pain free within 30 hours of surgery, but had to stay in for IV antibiotics.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited October 2012

tfee-don't know about momof3, but I used the patch for each and every surgery.  Puked every time, one time thought they were going to have to admit me.  This last time, nip, begged them to just use gas.  So glad I did.

pink-I leaked.  during my fills my PS accidentally punctured the TE and when it would reach a certain pressure it would leak out until the pressure was relieved.  I never had any outside wetness though.  I just noticed it got smaller.  If I had not been in the middle of chemo it would have been able to be swapped out immediately. Here's hoping it was just the pain port.

• GreenMonkey
    edited October 2012

I just heard from a friend who is a nurse and she said that when a blood pressure is taken on the leg they need to use a large blood pressure cup, NOT the smaller one that they use for your arm otherwise they will get a false reading. 

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited October 2012

Chick, she said that it would be light sedation, no anesthesia at all. Also said that I wouldn't have that sick feeling afterward. I'll mention it to her again at the pre op visit next month. I don't want to puke in the bushes again lol!!

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited October 2012

Glad you're back home, GM.  I was anemic as well (I totally believe from all the surgeries), and my iron is finally in a normal range. It took a while though. I have to take iron pills (Hemax) daily and had an iron iv infusion at the onco's office a few months ago.

• GreenMonkey
    edited October 2012

Thanks momo! glad your levels are back up :) 

• prettyinpinkterminator
    prettyinpinkterminator Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012

Thanks, everyone. Turns out, I was being a freak (as usual). My pain pump actually fell out while a home nurse was helping me clean my drain site, so that's what all the wetness was from. They took my drain out yesterday and said everything looked fine, just had a bit of swelling still. And the weird ring around the edge of my TE was actually the drain tubing (my skin is really thin so it was sticking up). Sorry for freaking out. I often feel pretty stupid after any "mini-crisis" since I have no idea what to expect with any of this and it always turns out to be nothing.

Hope everyone is doing better today. 

• Chrisrenee77
    edited October 2012

Prettyinpink- so glad it was nothing major. I've been thinking about you hoping that you would come back and update. There are never "mini crisis" in our worlds now. Something can always lead to something. So glad you are ok

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited October 2012

greenmonkey, been meaning to check in on you... OMG! The hospital? How are you feeling? Please take it easy! Be good to yourself, do *less* than you feel you are able, take a nap every day if at all possible, and make sure you are getting 100 grams of protein a day! Hang in there.

prettyinpnkterminator: Glad to hear you didn't spring a leak! No worries about freaking out. That's what we're here for! 

tfee: I too have used the patch behind my ear whenever I go under. It doesn't always work! 

Hi to everyone! I am continuing to feel more like myself. More energy. BUT I have 2 spots (tiny ones) along my right incision line that were yellow/green from sebum. I chopped too many veggies over the weekend and for me, too much movement before I am completely healed causes fluid buildup and that causes sebum production. (Such a special case, am I. OY!) Lefty *still* has the surgical tape hanging on, my exchange was 5 weeks ago today! But no leakage of any kind on either side, so that is the good news! 

• specialk
    edited October 2012

prettyinpink - this is the place for freakouts!

ren - glad you are hanging in, and stop chopping veggies girl!

• GreenMonkey
    edited October 2012

YES, prettyinpink, rant away! it helps to know you're in a safe place. Isn't it GREAT TO FINALLY get your drains out! 

Also, what I get here is strength. Part of that comes from knowing you're not alone and part of that comes from knowledge. There is a lot of great information here. So, when a doctor tells me, lymphedema is not a concern of yours, I disregard him because I know thats not true. I speak to people here who prove him wrong.  

Renn, you are helping me in so many ways. you give me hope. sooooo glad you're getting your energy back. Also, you helped me become one with my surgical bra, and also you remind me not to overdue it. I need to know more about restrictions. I don't want to do anything to f*ck up what I hope is my last revision surgery.

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300
    edited October 2012

Hello! I have made my desicion. I will have Latissimus Dorsi with another TE put in January7. Then both ( I stiil have right TE since 09/01/2011) will be changed to squshies ( yay!) later.I had changed my PS and happy about it. I will have my operation at Duke University and I like my new PS and everything  there very much. I hope everything works out finally for me.

• DLL66
    edited October 2012

I hope so too, Olgah!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited October 2012

SpecialK: No more chopping, promise!

GreenMonkey: Happy to have converted you to being an SV (surgical vest) girl! LOL! I do hope you are taking care of yourself and doing *less* than you think you are capable of. Sounds like recipe for being lazy but it's the only way to heal! I need to remind myself of this daily.

Olgah34: YAY! So glad you made the decision and are getting it done at Duke, no less! I added your surgery date to the list above. So far you are the first one in 2013. You must feel a sense of relief, I know making that decision wasn't easy for you! {hugs}

• olgah34
    edited October 2012

Thank you, Renn and DLL! I could see a difference between my previuos PS and dr. Zenn from Duke. The first one wanted me to do Latissimus as well, but wanted to keep and strech very thin skin and put there already filled TE. Dr. Zenn, however, told me, that he takes off all that skin, is no good and put there healthy skin from my back, and I wiil be flat, if he puts some saline in TE, just a little.Also he did not want to rush and give time to heal, versus first one, who wanted to finish everything ( and tatoo!) before July 1.

Just one problem- it is very far from my house, not that far, an hour on highway...But I feel much better now.

• GreenMonkey
    edited October 2012

OLGA, just one word of advice... ask your PS if HE or SHE (and he/she alone) WILL BE DOING THE SURGERY. 

I went to Memorial Sloan Kettering, had the Head Plastic Surgeon and turns out "he was there for the important parts" but he didn't touch me. According to the Operating Room report Surgical assistant number two and surgical assistant number three did me and what a mess they made of me. TE were misplaced, both sides. suturing completely different on left and right. Right side surgical assistant gets an F. Left side surgical assistant gets a D.

Also ask if you'll see him before or after the procedure. This way, if you don't see him you won't be suprised.  

Hope I didn't make things worse, but its important to know. Ask the same question of your BS. If its not important to you who does it thats fine.  

• olgah34
    edited October 2012

Green Monkey, thank you for the advice! I even never thought about it. I am going to call his nurse on Monday and ask.Who is BC?

• GreenMonkey
    edited October 2012

okay, I was afraid I was being obnoxious. I meant BS - breast surgeon :) 

• olgah34
    edited October 2012

you were great! In my situation I appreciate all advice( my TE failed twice ) but...BS? Isn't it the same PS? I don't have breast...

• GreenMonkey
    edited October 2012

I was referring to when I had my BMX - then, it was two surgeons, first the breast surgeon and then the plastic surgeon steps in. Now... we're all about the plastic surgeon.