Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Katski
    Katski Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2012

One more thing, the magnet in the left expander move to low in my armpit therefore causing pain.  I do massage the breast but that magnet hurts!!

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited November 2012

Rozem

I too was told to wait 3 months.  I sneaked in at only 2 months but I think that was because it was a replacement on the left and filled rather quickly.  The right on had been in for 6 months.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited November 2012

rozem - I did not have to wait 3 months but that is because I filled so slowly, my PS felt that the muscle stretched so gradually that there was no reason to wait.  I only waited about 5 weeks, and could have gone sooner than that but I had a schedule conflict.  

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited November 2012

Well it looks like nip surgery is on for next Thursday. UHC consumer affairs and the marketing medical director both contacted me, gave me some paperwork to fill out, and said they would make sure that it's approved.  They promised that my surgery would go on as scheduled.  Great that UHC is bending over backwards to work with me, but I think it's all because of the news story.  Had I not gone to the media, it may have turned out differently.  Stay tuned - the ball is in their court:)

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2012

CONGRATULATIONS momo! see, there is such a thing as bad publicity!Great JOB :) 

I had a situation with a PS I saw for a consultation. He charged me over $700.00 and when I called to see what his consult fee was for breast augmentation or breast reduction, it was $75.00.  I called and wrote asking if it was a mistake and was told it was not and that I owed the money. I then did a blog post about it and asked people to write to the office. I included an example of a letter they could use. Then I asked my blog and facebook friends to post on his facebook page and over 100 people did it. It took less than two weeks for me to get a letter saying my balance was ZERO!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited November 2012

Great news, momof3! 

• Toastiecat
    Toastiecat Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2012

Hi ladies,

Thanks everyone for posting about their experiences. My PS just confirmed today that I will have to swap out my TE (possibly for the regular implant, have to confirm this). I've been having redness and swelling for a couple of months. He's drained the swelling several times now. No obvious infection, and I've been on antibiotics a lot. He said the TE shifted positions, and that's what's causing this problem.

I'm wondering what the recovery is like from the swap surgery? I know it's much easier than the MX, but I also find it hard to believe that any surgery can be easy!

• specialk
    edited November 2012

toastie - a number of the ladies on this thread have done a swap, either of a TE or implant, sometimes swapping a TE for an implant.  It is not as involved as the BMX because nothing is being cut out, so it is an outpatient deal with a few days of discomfort, if that.  Good luck!

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited November 2012

sk thanks, i spoke with my PS yesterday and he said he will do the exchange 6 wks after my last fill.  I think he really just wants to get me through this ordeal since im 7wks in already.  I told him i could not wait the three months.  I had a fill yesterday, 60ccs in each,  i feel extremely tight today but i took some tylenol and feel a bit better.  I think im going to ask for 30cc each week instead of 60 every two. 

Thanks for everyones imput

• specialk
    edited November 2012

rozem - strangely, you actually may start to feel less pain the more you fill.  I had this happen, although I was uncomfortable in a different way, it was really not pain as much as sort of an awkward feeling - like my chest had two aliens in it!  When I was waiting for exchange after being completely filled I had some discomfort between my shoulder blades, but not really in the chest itself.  I think the low and slow plan will be good for you, and hopefully the 6 weeks will pass quickly.

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited November 2012

sk and all the other ladies please tell me the implants feel way better than these boulders.  I think this is the only thing getting me through this ordeal

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited November 2012

rozem, yes! There is no comparison. 

• specialk
    edited November 2012

rozem - I had instant relief - I woke up from the anesthetic far more comfortable than I had been in months even though I had just had surgery!  Hang in there!

• chickadee521
    edited November 2012

Night and day difference.

Have my tatoo appointment scheduled for the 14th.  Had my consult on tuesday and the lady told me that I had some of the best reconstructed breasts she'd ever seen.  Made me feel real good!

• specialk
    edited November 2012

chick - you will be getting tats and I will be FG on the same day - yay for the compliment on your recon!  It is always nice to hear from an independent source that you look good!  I had an exam by the surgeon who is the head of the vaccine trial before I could be enrolled and she said my recon looked good as well - made me happy!

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited November 2012

Chick - don't you love that? When I still had both my TEs, I had a physical therapist teach me how to massage the skin to prevent scar tissue - and she was amazed at how natural they looked. Was definetely great to hear!

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited November 2012

Hello Ladies - I met with a general surgeon today for my hernia, and luckily, he is going to be able to do the procedure while I am having my exchange! Such a relief to not have to have an additional surgery.

I'm glad there is some recent posts about squishies! I am so excited to finally get these hard rocks out of me.

I am one of the few that has had pain on the cancer side throughout! It is so tight and hard, that it's hard to sleep... still! 

January 30th here I come!

Special K - so glad you are still here helping people... still think you should write a book! Did you ever sign into Facebook?

• Katski
    Katski Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2012

Well, my body rejected both of my breast expanders.  They have been removed.  Now to finish chemo and radiation and then decide what to do next.  My mom was giving me a hard time about get them out even when I told her I had a fever of 102 and the left side was nice and red.  Time for them to go after 3 months of problems on the left side.   I am recovering fine and now I don't feel like I have a bra on 24/7!!!  I will visit here off and on.  Good luck to each of you as you reach your exchange date.  Prayers and thoughts.  Kat

• specialk
    edited November 2012

krazykat - glad you are feeling better!  I went 7 months without the left TE, never got used to it but I really did heal much better withut it!

dm13 - Never did get on FB but a friend I am going to visit this weekend (vaccine trial in Washington, D.C.) wants me to do it too - so I just might!  Glad they could work your two surgeries together!

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2012

I had my PS visit today.  Recall I had exchange July 23rd, then infection, removal of right implant. I have been without my right implant since August.  Today was to discuss my final decision on what to do next. 

Well, I had emergency appendectomy Sunday night at midnight.  PS now says, again, we have to wait a few months to let my body recover from the general anesthesia.  He is sooooo cautious, which is good.  I have to admit I'm kind of glad to be waiting.  I about had an anxiety/panic attack when I was told I needed emergency surgery.  I was crying just being IN a hospital again.  Cleary I am not ready.

He had told me when I lost the implant that he didn't think my skin would be strong enough for another try at implants, and to consider DIEP.  I was 95% there.  Today he had a big smile on his face and said WOW my skin had healed so well that he felt an implant was still an option, if I want to go that way.

Now I have to make a real decision.  TE, fills and exchange again  (right side to match the existing left implant) or DIEP (bilateral).  Good thing I have until 12/26 to make that decision.  The surgery will not be until late Jan or early Feb.

• chickadee521
    edited November 2012

SpecialK-I hope we both have a good and successful day!

• tfee
    tfee Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012

It's been a while since I was on here, but I am thrilled to report that - after a year and four days, and four surgeries - I am scheduled to get my "foobs" on 12/12/12! I will be so happy to have these rocks off my chest so I can give hugs without hurting my loved ones! Just in time for Christmas, New Year and my 54th birthday.

Blessings to all of you!!!

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited November 2012

Congrats SheChirple! Can't wait to meet you tomorrow night!

• specialk
    edited December 2012

shechirple - happy that your skin has healed nicely, but sorry that puts you in a decision making place!  Sorry also to hear about the appendix - what a surprise!

tfee - yay!

chick - I'll send you good vibes, and you send me some!

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2012

Wonderful news, tfee.  Congratulations for all celebrations coming in December.

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited December 2012

chick and SpecialK:  good vibes to both of you!

• specialk
    edited December 2012

shechirple - thanks - I am hoping your decision making goes smoothly, I know you felt that you were home free with exchange only to have this setback.  It is a difficult choice between a complicated surgery and trying again with the TE/implant route, I wish you peace with whatever choice you make.

• chickadee521
    edited December 2012

good vibes to tfee too!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited December 2012

Congrats to everyone on all the progress!

DM13 and SheChirple and I are meeting tonight (along with 5 other ladies from BCO). YAY!

If anyone has an upcoming surgery that is not posted above, please let me know. I tried to update per people's posts but I don't always catch everything.

• carol6026
    carol6026 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2012

finally had the left te put back in , back in july, had my first fill and now am going for my second one wednesday. After all the surgeries and the disappointment, things are finally starting to look up.