Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2014

Lissab - So very glad you're going to get things checked out tomorrow.  A fever is not a good sign, so hopefully it breaks soon...  Sending you a hug and a prayer!

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2014

woke up today with lots of fluid on Jp drain. Yellow but very dark with something in it that settles to bottom. Not blood. Something I've never seen and this is my 3rd drain so I've seen a lot drain out. I'm worried bc I ran fever all day yesterday & don't feel good today either. Anyone else seen this? My line is filled with some sort of particles in it too. 

• Lissab
    edited March 2014

I didn't know I could post a picture. Maybe you can tell from this. 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited March 2014

yeah. That stuff is probably coagulated blood. Or protein coagulation. But it looks cloudy. Don't eat. If they have to try to take it out you will be able to do sx sooner. Or drink. It's got to he at least 6 hours if possible.  I hope it doesn't have to cone out. Sometimes they try abx first. But i have to tell you it is a possibility. Well be here for you either way. Much love

• Lissab
    edited March 2014

infection it is. He's admitting me into hospital until Monday atleast. Going to try to save my expander. Calling in an infection control dr to help assist. All I know as of now. 

• 1MindyydniM1
    1MindyydniM1 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2014

Helo. I have posted on the other TE forum. I know some of you from there. But anyways...I have a TE giving me slight problems...it keeps moving to the center of my chest and the anchor tabs that are on the expander that are supposed to be  sutured to my ribcage are detached. so should I post here too? lol My PS said she can fix it at my exchange surgery  by retightening the alloderm. But anyways...I hope you girls all heal soon!

• 1MindyydniM1
    edited March 2014

meant HELLO...durr

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2014

Lissab...I too was re admitted for infection on 3/19. Hopefully some IV antibiotics will get this!!!  

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited March 2014

Lissa and lakegirl:  thinking of you guys!  I have been in your position myself.  Sending you healing hugs and hoping they can take care of this infection and save the te.  XXXXXX

• bobogirl
    edited March 2014

SpecialK, many thanks for the question!  Still not bouncing back exactly.  Still 'mommin it.'  Smart idea to take flowers to that woman!

I like your description of being stabbed twice in the chest.  Very precise and descriptive.  F people who tell us to underplay!  Sometimes it just feels like you have been stabbed in the chest (or looks like it).  Not looking too closely at my own area at the moment.  It's terrible looking.

xxx

• 1MindyydniM1
    edited March 2014

Lisab...I hope you get well! Ill be praying for your recoverySmile

• bobogirl
    edited March 2014

Lissa, a bit of (unsolicited) advice not meant to worry you at all, but to empower you:

- get everything in writing.  Get a print out from the infectious guy listing the type of bacteria you might be harboring

- make sure someone stays with you at all times.  I broke this rule once, and I regretted it.

- if you have a nurse friend or associate, now is the time to call in a favor.  Wish I'd had someone there to argue about whether or not I could drink fluids, walk around or not have to, eat or not have to, place an iv in a certain place, etc.

- don't be afraid to dismiss student nurses (or those who look like idiots) and ask for a senior nurse to do your iv, change your dressing, etc.

- med students and residents do not work for you.  If you don't want to show everyone your area you can say no.

Love!

• Lissab
    edited March 2014

thank you all. Praying this time it's healed. I'm also having a reaction to the tape they used on my drain so they're changing that as well. Monday he will decide about taking out expander completely. Thanks for the prayers. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited March 2014

bobo - the good news is that even though it looks like I have been stabbed, I can't feel a thing!  The open areas are I" by 1/8", so just like the blade of a steak knife went straight in, lol!  Not very attractive, I must say, but who's looking, right?  Hope your energy returns asap!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited March 2014

Lissab - You may disagree, but the hospital is probably the best place for you to looked after right now...  And bobogirl has given you some great advice, so take heed!  Winking  I hope that they'll be able to stop the infection in its tracks and quickly!  Sending you a big hug and a prayer that you can break free of both the infection and the hospital very soon....  Please let us know how you're doing. 

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

lissa and lakegifl. I hope the antibiotics work and fast. Please keep an eye on your skin and swelling as you can lose tissue and skin from the infection if the abx don't work. they will have to culture the fluids in order to know what bacteria they are dealing with. THEY HAVE TO CULTURE BEFORE THEY GIVE YOU ANYTHING!  Make sure they take the culture first. Once you are on abx the culture will not show what it needs to show.  Unfortunately one time they lost my culture so I had to take the most broad abx for the longest time because they just don't know what they were fighting.  Love to you both. 

Oh. And mindy, if you P'S isn't worried about it I wouldn't worry. They can fix that later. Your TES may not move as much after more filling anyway. 

Much love to all. 

• Lakegirl1
    edited March 2014

I am choosing to look at these as Badges of honor and our bravery!!!  We, too, earned them the hard way!!!   I know everyone copes in a diff way, but I can't help remembering a phrase I read..."Yes, they are fake, they were plotting to kill me!!!"  I am only 43 with 6 & 8 year old....I do all of this for them!!!!

• Lakegirl1
    edited March 2014

Moonflwr912... I got 3 rounds of Vancomycin.  PS went back for a power washing as he called it, new TE and drain!!!  I'm home now on IV antibiotic q 8 hrs via PICC line, cefazoline.  

I am laying very low...I have laid stake to my own bathroom, kids have explicit instructions re: hand washing and change clothes after school,  

May seem like overkill, but if we can save the TE and start chemo all will be worth it!!  

They really don't know where I got it, just one of those things!!!

Hugs to Lissa...I agree if possible have someone stay all night.  If for nothing else than to be your gatekeeper!!!

• Lissab
    edited March 2014

I have someone staying with me. They cultured it when I had surgery last week also. I haven't heard results yet, but I will ask when my dr comes in. He has me on limited activity so guess I will lay up & enjoy it as hard as that is. I know it could be worse so I will be thankful for being blessed. 

• Lissab
    edited March 2014

infectious dr came. Said last weeks culture showed yeast infection which he says is very strange bc it's my breast. 1st diagnosis was bacterial but they changed it. So, ordered new culture to verify will have results Tuesday. Told me to get comfy here bc1 of the 3 antibiotics he's putting me on has to be monitored very closely bc of renal failure issues. Going to do blood work 2 X's daily. If it comes back yeast agAin or mersa, I go back to surgery to remove expander completely. Can try again in 6 months if that's the cAse. Anyone else had this? I won't get out til Tuesday at earliest 

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited March 2014

Just now I found this thread and read about your newest problem and surgery, SpecialK.  Oh my goodness!  Looks like you had surgery about the day I had my first fill.  I'm so very glad for you that healing is going well!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited March 2014

lisa-I had issues with tape also. So did SpecialK. There is actually a thread that talks about kinds of tape, etc.

I hope things improve for you. Mine was pseudomonas, probably from my bmx surgery. During another surgery he cultured again, and mrsa showed up. That didn't turn into anything and they thought it was something on my skin.

Bobo is right.....get answers to everything. I never felt like my husband asked enough if I was out, or gave me all the info. I made him record all conversations with the doc when I was in recovery.

• 1MindyydniM1
    edited March 2014

Moonflwr...she said it was mild synmastia/symmastia. Ps surgeon isn't too worried but said I could opt to wear a thong bra. Its only on the left side....but she will fix it. Its just a little alloderm problem....it just hurts really bad when I wake up and its in the middle of my chest. Oh and I am DONE with fills and am feeling sooooo much better!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306
    edited March 2014

lisa&fluff:  Here's the link about the tape problems.  It's not very active but has tons of really useful info.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/91/topic/767669?page=1

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

lissa. If you read the DX's here a lot of us have had infections and removed TEs. I have had 3 TEs and took 2 years to complete reconstructions. SpecialK and fluff have as well. Others are still going through the waiting. So you are not alone. And sooner or later we do complete this frustrating process!  Much love

• Lakegirl1
    edited March 2014

lissa....hang in there!!!  Get some rest tonight ...if you canWinking...I know how those RN's can be!!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited March 2014

galsal - still have open skin but seems to be improving - thanks for the good thoughts! Hoping your recon is going smoothly - I'm excited for you!

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited March 2014

Lisa, my infection was a gram-positive bacterial staph infection, picked up in the hospital within hours of my surgery. It was resistant to the first two antibiotics but when they switched me to IV Vancomycin, it started to respond. I was in the hospital 7 days, then home with the IV for another 7 days. I got 2 grams of Vanc every 12 hours and my blood was tested after every third infusion because of the potential liver problems. I was readmitted on day 14 for the second surgery to remove all the dead tissue and muscle, plus replace the implant with a TE. Stayed 4 days, then home, still with the IV Vanc for another two weeks. Unfortunately my blood test numbers went from 11 to 34 so I had to stop the antibiotic then. But the infection did not return, thank goodness, and I went on to have a normal TE experience with another permanent implant 3 months after the second surgery. So don't worry. Even with this complication, things can turn out fine.

If they find your infection is MRSA you will be put in an isolation room. Anyone who comes in will be wearing yellow gowns.

• moonflwr912
    edited March 2014

Oh Sandra! I remember those gowns! Every time I had a TE out I was in isolation. Here's how I spent my birthday in 2012. At least it was spent with my family.....

• Lissab
    edited March 2014

Sandra4611. Thank you for reply. That's exactly what I'm on. They explained to me about testing my blood levels as well. I'm hoping whatever it is this med kicks it's butt. Until then I'm treating it like a hotel stay lol. Whatever it takes, just ready to get that side better. My left is PERFECT. Did your ps start fills on your good side or wait til your new te was put in to fill together at same time?