Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2014

Lissab -- Hang in there.  Deep breaths and baby steps.  Eat as much as you can; little snacks.  Have someone bring something good in to eat.  Either way -- no matter what the culture says -- we will be with you!  F0cking infections! :)

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2014

bobogirl. Thank you. So fAr it's grown a small amount of yeast , if it doesn't grow anymore by tonight then I possibly go home tomorrow. They will have home health care come for 2 weeks atleast stopped 1 antibiotic today so they're gonna see how I do without that 1 for 24 hours. With that being said, do y'all cover your picc line somehow? I just don't want to pull it on anything? Thank y'all so much. 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited April 2014

They give you a mesh cover, But I was always catching the d*MN thing on everything. Try cutting off a t shirt sleeve  or something with ribbing. Put the ribbing on the top. Maybe put ties or sew elastic ribbing on the bottom to keep it from dangling so much..they also sell PICC covers on line in a lot of patterns. Oh. Maybe a long stretchy sock cut off the foot if the sock? Good luck. 

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited April 2014

Well hello there, ladies!  It's been quite a while!  Just wanted to check in.  I'm still in the 3D areola tattoo recon phase,  I've been 5 times so far (once a month) and later this month we will finally start with the actual color.  All he's been doing thus far is micro needling (going back and forth and up and down with the needles - no ink - which breaks up the scar tissue and gets my body to make collagen).  My scars are almost GONE!  And oh so smooth.  So I'm excited to finally get the color underway.  He said it takes about a year.  I did the Tampa 3 Day Walk back in October, and thought of so many of you.  There's a young girl (18 years old) who's been diagnosed with stage 3 BC over in my hometown, and she has no family health insurance.  I'm so proud to say that Komen stepped up to the plate and pledged to cover all of her treatment and expenses.  I'm doing well, how are all of you???  Special K, you need to come check out my tattoo guy in Oldsmar!

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

they just came to show me how to do my meds, flush & heparin. Doesn't seem too bad. SASH is the word I'm supposed to remember lol. Praying no more yeast grows so I can go home tomorrow hopefully. Did anyone ever have a burbing sensation where the drain goes into breast area? This is new last couple of days. Not sure what it is. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2014

momof3 - hey!  Good to "see" you!  I just had a re-meshing surgery at the beginning of the month.  Having some complications in the area of thin skin that caused trouble previously.  I have some skin defects (holes) at the moment, one of them very close to the nipple.  I originally wanted to enlarge the natural spared areola on that side that is smaller due to the TE being out for seven months.  What I have learned from this last surgery is that I can't do any tattooing.  The skin is too thin there - it literally ripped like tissue paper during this surgery, so I am going to have to live with the situation as it is.  I am so happy for you though - sounds like a process but also sounds like you are pleased!

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

we just had nurse come in to empty my drain & it's dark yellow & cloudy again with blood tinged strings. However he smell was AWFUL. It's never had an odor, has anyone else had this? Trying to think positive but can't help but worry. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

this is today's color? Was lighter yesterday & no odor. 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2014

That color is perfectly normal. The odor isn't.

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Lissa Make sure they change the dressing around the drain. And they may need to swap out the bulb.  And Sash is what they taught me. Saline. Antibiotics. Saline. Heperine.   Now a word of warning. 

LOL.  There is a little white clip on the tube. You clip it between every change of syringe.  If you don't you could get a good scare like I did. Talk about stupid. I forgot to clip it after the last saline. I turned to pick up the Hep and turned back. I see bright red covering my front. I look at it like an idiot talking out loud saying OH OH OH OH! WATCHING BLOOD POUR OUT.  LOL.  OMG. LOL.  I finally grab the tubing snap the darn clip closed and sit in shock for about 5 min. LOL.  Takes about 6 syringes of saline to clear all the blood out. I had to change out the tips. Go change and come back to do the hep lock. It was one of the most interesting experiences of my life. So that tiny little white clip is pretty important! LOL.   What had happened was when I unscrewed the syringe I was actually unscrewing the cap of the tubing which has a valve in it to prevent what I stupidly did. LOL so it really should BE CLIP; screw in Saline; unclip and squeeze;  CLIP. Unscrew saline, Screw in abx,unclip, and squeeze,  CLIP.unscrew abx; screw in Saline , unclip and squeeze ;CLIP, unscrew Saline, screw in Heperine,  unclip and squeeze, CLIP; And finally unscrew Heperine.  See I told you it was fun!!!!!

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2014

Saw ID MD today.   Hives are so localized to the boob area...he says it is from hibiclens.   Explained the hospital sent me home with instructions to use it everyday from chin to just below the waist.  ID wanted to know who ordered the Hibicliens, because he didn't!  Needless to say, no more Hibiclens!!!!  Benadryl for the hives.  Hopefully these damn things will go away soon!!!

We are going to continue with current IV antibiotic.  No more homecare.  The RN and I at the ID MD office can handle this!!!  

2 more weeks antibiotic, 2 weeks after that they can hopefully place the port, and then chemo....  Which scares the $@&) out of me!!  

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

since my fluid started smelling after stopping 1 med yesterday, they're starting me on another antibiotic today, will watch me for 24 hours then decide about going home. Culture should be back today. Praying for NO YEAST OR MERSA..should know todAy. 

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Hang in there Lissab!!!  I'm still with ya!!!   Prayers to no MRSA!!!  

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Yeah here's hoping whatever it is clears up. No pun intended!  Well maybe intended just a bit? Hang in there. Hugs. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

the odor is kinda fishy smell. Anyone else had this?

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Lissab...I had staph, but no odor whatsoever, just thick output from my drain that nearly tripled over night. 

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

My infection covered  a large portion of my underarm and side. In spite of dead tissue, I did not notice an odor.

• bobogirl
    edited April 2014

Lissab:  In my experience odor is a strong indicator of infection.  But you already know you have an infection.  We're just waiting to know what kind.  I am hoping you get to go home and have nurses administer abx, since that will protect you from catching anything while in the hospital!

Word to the wise: sometimes 'saving' the TE is not the best thing.  Should it be the number one priority?  My PS did the same thing -- against my wishes.  They waited and waited, and the broad spectrum wasn't helping, and they waited for culture, and then started new abx that my (two) infections responded to.  But in the end, the TE needed removing.  Lots of extra tissue came with it.  I was really sick.  I don't want to worry you -- I just want you to think of yourself first.  Your whole self.  Should you want, you can always continue with recon when you are infection-free.  XXX

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Bobo my P'S never even tried to save my TEs. they came out the Minute I Ran A Fever AND Turned red. Some P'S don't like to wait. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

thank y'all. Hoping I get more answers thus afternoon when my ps comes in. 

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

lissab - We're all right here with you... no matter what happens.

• bobogirl
    edited April 2014

That's right.  We're with you whatever happens!

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Lissab....my PS took me back to the OR for what he called a power washing, new TE and drain.    I am on 3 was IV antibiotics. We are all diff.  Hang in there....hugs and prayers!!!   

Hoping your spa, dining and entertainment options are better than mine were!!!! 

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Question: Has anyone had alloderm on one side and not the other? When I had the second surgery to clean up the infection, they had to remove the alloderm on the right side.  

Will it make a diff in the final outcome?

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

lakegirl I had that washing done 2 Wednesdays ago. I got infection last week from thAt so lve been in hospital since Friday on 3 meds. My dr came this evening & I'm going home tomorrow. I will administer my IV meds from home so I'm excited. Everything is looking good. I have alloderm on both sides, thought that may be my problem at 1st but it wasn't. Thanks for everyone's support. This time tomorrow I hope to be at MY HOUSE 

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Woo hoo !!!  I just hope the accommodations are as good!!!Winking

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

Accommodations?  Heck, I'd worry more about the room service!  CONGRATULATIONS, Lissa, on your reprieve!  (I feel like I'm watching a prison break or something...)  But there's just nothing quite like your own bed!  One more sleep and you'll be HOME!

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Yes, you can get a dermal matrix product like Alloderm on one side and not the other. It is to supplement your tissue. Some of us have thinner tissue on one side but not the other.

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

getting to go home today. Just had to show them I can do my infusions. Did good was nervous when they're standing over me. Surely at home it will be a lot easier. I'm so excited to be going home. 7 days here had been enough this time. 

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You will do great!!!  It feels so much better to be home.