Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited June 2014

Moon, don't forget to put those yellow tennis balls on the bottom of your walker. You have to have the complete "outfit" if you are going to be an old lady.

• sandra4611
    edited June 2014

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited June 2014

dang! I've got to get me a pair of red shoes! LOL.  3 am here. I had to go pee. What a production!  First get off the lift chair. Grab walker. Take off cat guard. ( Something I rigged up to go over the ice pa ks on my knee that prevents the little devils from walking on top of my surgical knee. It's like a cage.) Get up on my feet. Ouch to that!. Then stumble with the walker to the bathroom door. Which is of course to narrow for the walker unless I walk sideways. Sigh..get to toilet. Sit down. Do my thing. Which, is NOT the D this time. LOL.  Now reverse that.but remember hydrocodone is in kitchen and I need it! LOL.  Walk all the way to kitchen. Take pill. Now reverse .

Get back to chair. Get down on it. Add cat guard over ice bags..realize I am awake. Type this out to share all my fun with you lovely ladies. LOL.  PS. I could have called my DH to get me all that stuff but he needs to be able to sleep to. LOL.  

Here is my cat guard over my knee with ice pack. 

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited June 2014

Moon, you need to partner that! I bet it would work for small dogs too!

Sandra, glad you posted about the tennis balls...I was thinking it, but I couldn't bring myself to type it! Lol

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited June 2014

Hi ladies, since last night I feel itchy on the chest. This morning after I woke up, I saw some very light red spots on both sides, more on right side. I don't have fever now. I wiped them with saline water and put ointment cream and the redness is gone, but I still feel itchy. Yesterday I drove without wearing bra and felt a little uncomfortable with the seat belt on. I also drank just 1/4 bottle of beer which I haven't drank for long time. Just wondering if it's just irritation or allergy, not something serious. Please advise. 

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited June 2014

That itchy, rasht thing happened to me. It ended up I was allergic to the pain medicine- Percocet......

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited June 2014

Mommyathome, thanks for the information. I finished 2 weeks antibiotics last Wednesday, and right now I am not on any medication. Still feel itchy and see red spots again after taking shower. I will try Benadryl tonight. 

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

xing, hope it's just an allergic reaction. Mommyathome that's a pretty good guess. 

I have run a slight fever for a couple days 99.7 or so. Got up to 100. Back down. I'm hoping it's just my body healing. Got visiting nurses tomorrow to give me blood tests and pt. My DH has been helping as it hurts to do myself. My DH has to remind me to get up and move around every hour or thereabouts. I get so stiff. This is almost as bad as my BMX! Same pain level, same instructions as in, Take the darn pills! And keep moving. LOL.  The only difference is i can use my arms to pull myself along.  Much love to all. 

• sandra4611
    edited June 2014

Moon - fetching attire. SillyHeart

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

Well i do have red slippers! (from the hospital) classy.....

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2014

Moon, red hat and shoes, purple dress, red boa, you will fit right in with the Red Hat Society! I hear those ladies have a lot of fun!

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

ok. Just remember you asked for it. Me and my walker. I haven't felt up to jazz ing it up with the pink camo duct tape yet....

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305
    edited June 2014

Moon - thanks for posting the picture.  Your face looks so calm & happy I'd never guess the pain level.  Glad your DH is nudging you to move.  Hope the visiting nurses find you with NO fever tomorrow & perfect blood.  Don't worry about decorating the walker until you feel more spry!!

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited June 2014

Xinghong...were you washing with anything?  I thought Hibiclens came up before. That is whT caused my hives.

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited June 2014

Moon,

You look pretty darn good for the way you've been talking! More power to you!

• formerteacherofk
    formerteacherofk Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2014

Sternum pain. Hey all, I'm just shy of 5 weeks out of Nipple sparing BMX with TE. They have yet to stop huring! Yestereday I started having really bad pain at the sternum to the right, I can't tell if the little piece I feel poking out is TE or something else....Anyone else have sudden strenum pain that was something...should I be concerned??

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2014

Sternum pain is pretty common with expanders because of the hard backing. Often once some post-surgical swelling subsides you can have new and different discomfort. Sometimes as you fill and the TE starts to project forward that discomfort can subside, but not always. I would mention it to your PS just to be safe.

Moon - looking good!

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

formerteacher, did you have alloderm?  Sometimes it is that which pokes and hurts. For me it was. It felt like a broken  rib for weeks. Always check with your PS office though, they will know if you have to get in to see the PS. 

Thanks everybody. I've been whining a lot on here. But i have never had to take morphine for pain. I now have a new level on my pain meter! LOL I am taking my 2 hydrocodones every 4 hours. I am amazed at myself for not even trying to cut back. Usually I'd be trying to expand the time between doses. Not now. LOL.  Very strange. But I've learned a lot from this board. Including taking the pain pills the first week like they said helps you take less farther down the road because you can sleep, and heal. Who'd a thunk?!? LOL.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it. LOL

Much love to all - no matter the journey, those scenic detours SUCK! LOL

• sandra4611
    edited June 2014

Here's Moon without the walker.

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2014

Sandra, Love the picture! How about you Moon? You're not whining at all. We're all here for the party. Doesn't matter what body part it pertains to.

SpecialK, I have to agree. As my fill have progressed by discomfort with them has eased. And we are doing the 60 cc's instead of the 120. Only 2 more! Of course my next appt. is this Weds. the same day they have decided they will induce my daughter which means the 4 year old grandson comes with me! Don't know how I'm going to manage that one!

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2014

Hi Ladies,

I had a TE placed last Tuesday on my right side. This afternoon I noticed the whole area is very warm,...heated. My incision looks great and there is no redness. My temp is normal. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you,

Michele

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2014

michelle - there can be a number of reasons for this but you should contact your PS. Not all infections will cause a fever, and not all redness is an infection. There is also something called "red breast syndrome" that can be caused by the dermal matrix used for the TE slings. Here is a link with some info:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24691314/

• Renee51
    Renee51 Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2014

Thanks for the link Special K. I have the dreaded red skin syndrome too. Xinghong, Do you have the warmth and redness along with your itching. I did, but itching is not nearly as bad as it was before. Redness on one breast (Cancer breast) is pretty significant. The other breast is fine. I have seen by referral to 4 different doctors about this issue. All of them say, they are not concerned, it sometimes happens when skin is thin after mastectomy and will improve. Again, I guess it is improving since I don't have all the itching now. I am 8 weeks post op. I have alloderm TEs. So far, no more infection from the last seroma. 

And Yes, former teacher, I still feel like I am having pokes and sticks from the TEs. Most of the time, it feels like I have a belt wrapped around my chest too tightly. It gets more uncomfortable as the day goes on. I find that driving is very uncomfortable. I just hope all this will be worth it in the end. At times I wish I had just had the BMX without reconstruction. 

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

I hope all issues of infection are gone snd never coming back for anyone! Redness go away Don't come back. Every one heal! I HAVE SPOKEN!!!! LOL let me know if that works ok? LOL

Ok. Here's me with the jazzy walker. It's a zebra tape. LOL

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited June 2014

Thank you got the link SpecialK. I have no redness and it was hot to the touch. I am now post op today. It seems to not be as heated this am....so not sure. Perhaps it fixed itself. I see my onc for blood work today and I will mention it to him. He will want to do a breast exam anyway. I did call my ps yesterday and he said to call him today with an update. Thanks again!!!

Perhaps I was having a localized hot flash lol

Michele

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited June 2014

Does anyone know what this is?  Yesterday, after wearing a bra all day, the elastic was rubbing underneath. I took my bra off to feel almost like a pinhead size bump pushing forward on my skin and ouch did that ever hurt!  It was small but painful, like a small bump it was in the crease underneath my breast.  What can that be?  Don't all of the stitches dissolve?  Today it seems to have dissipated, but we will see what the end of the day brings after wearing a bra all day. 

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    edited June 2014

Frostecat, sometimes not all dissolve and they work their way to the surface.  They call it a "spitting suture".  I could barely feel the tips of a couple and my my PS said that if they emerged I could call her assistant to come in to have them pulled out.

• Frostecat
    Frostecat Member Posts: 223
    edited June 2014

Ouch - they pop through the skin??  That little thing hurt like hell!  I never heard of this, so I'll have to research it.  Just when I think I'm on the downside, it's always something.  Thanks Julie - gonna keep an eye on it for sure.

Just read a bit about the "spitting suture".  This is not on my scar line, but underneath my breast in the fold.  Is it from pocket work?

• formerteacherofk
    formerteacherofk Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2014

THANKS all!! Yes Moon, I did you have alloderm?  It does feel like a broken rib....ugh. See PS at 9:45 so we'll see. I would think my post surgical swelling has subsided? I sometimes what to throw in the towel...I'm a pain wimp. 

I was only going to get the left "re-filled" today as he took 50 cc out 2 weeks ago cause I could not handle the pain. So I'm lopsided, but if pushing it out relieves the pain, maybe I should let him add 25-50 to the right???

Moon, I also have bad knees and need a dbl knee, putting it off as long as possible.  As far as the pain, I really hate that the addicts have ruined therapeutic pain management for the rest of us that need it.  We all feel like we need to push off of them so fast and we shouldn't THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE FOR! My PT "yelled" at me for not taking it before PT as my ROM was lower.  Whine away!! 

I took my first Tamoxifen today....fingers crossed for no side effects!

Thanks all for your support! I'll update later...PS then PT...busy foob day ;-)

• sandra4611
    edited June 2014

I've had stitches pop up several times in the IMF. No telling which surgery they were from. My husband has pulled them out. Doesn't hurt...still numb.

I run my fingers across the incisions and surrounding tissue every day in the shower and often feel little bumpy areas that are gone in a day or two. But admit that whenever I feel something, a chill goes down my spine.