Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2014

update on radiated place. Scab got soft and fell off. I thought good. But no allodem is exposed so back to OR tomorrow.  They will clean it up and possibly put new TE in. Surgery at 1215.  She just saw me this afternoon and we need to wait for TE delivery. 

I asked to do it local since I just had the other with full anesthesia on May 1. I believe the anesthesia is what keeps one feeling off for a long time. 

Trying to stay positive but inside I am scared and upset. This boob thing is just problems :(. Will continue with HBO as this surgery will be right on the radiated place. 

Moonflwer glad you are up and about. Renee I know that tight belt feeling. Sometimes it feels like a bad cramp. 

Hope Wed brings good things to all

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2014

The problem TE was replaced today and a fill done on the other side.  It turns out that TE was indeed damaged from the car accident as well as stitches from the initial placement had been pulled. 

• sharons
    edited June 2014

Galsal did you have it done with a local?

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited June 2014

Sharon,

If in hospital you can ask for light sedation or twilight with a local. One of the times that I had to have a new drain put in, that is what I had.

Local probably would have been enough, I felt nothing, but I personally did not want to be aware. It wears off relatively quickly and you go home in a few hours also.

Best of luck,

Vivian

• sharons
    edited June 2014

Vivian 

Yes I think that is what they are going to do. I had it that way both times with the ports. Just didn't want the full out since it had only been six weeks since the last. 

Thank you

• Galsal
    edited June 2014

No, had general not local.  I'm a  wimp about pain, comparatively to others.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited June 2014

galsal. I am glad the did the sx. Sorry the other TE was damaged but in the long run for the best. Hugs. 

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited June 2014

Moon,

Do you knit or crochet? The little pouch in the front of your walker looks like the perfect place to stash supplies!

My good friend has pancreatic cancer. She was involved in a trial at Sloan and experienced a nasty stroke-like heart attack. She lost all mobility and speech. After months in a rehab facility, she is home with a walker. You've inspired me... I'm bringing duck tape! Do you think they make Harley Davidson duck tape? I know she misses riding in the nice weather!

• Galsal
    edited June 2014

Thank you folks.  Moon, yes people like you are inspiring.  I know I don't have nearly the strength so many here show.  Makes me feel quite humbled.  Blessings to all!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2014

radical - if you can't find HD tape just use orange and black!

• Radical2Squared
    edited June 2014

Special k,

I did! The woman at ACMoore made the same suggestion!

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

I have started a TREND.  My life is fulfilled..... LOL

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited June 2014

Hi all! Moon, hope your doing ok. I was just going back through the 60 favorite topics I have accumulated over the past three years. Found one that I started 2 months after my expanders had been removed. I asked if anyone knew about massaging to soften up the tissue area so that the expanders could go back I .

I swear, I have no memory of starting that little thread. Once I read it, I had a vague remembrance, but geez, it seems like a long time ago. 

Just my way of saying that it will all become a distant memory after awhile. Well....might take a good long while for some of it, but we will get there!

• sharons
    edited June 2014

TE replaced. This is #3 so hope 3 is the charm. So far so good only Tylenol for pain. Watching Virginia in the CWS. A win would make my day!

Hope everyone has a great week of healing! 

• specialk
    edited June 2014

Sharon - yay for feeling good!

• Pilates4me
    Pilates4me Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2014

Has anyone had cording around a tissue expander?  I didn't have lymph nodes removed, but I have a couple small cords in the IMF and what appears to be a really large (and somewhat painful one above the TE sort of heading toward the armpit but still in front)  This probably makes no sense.  No fever.  Just wondering if this is something anyone has experienced.

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

I had scarring around the skin incision on my right side from day 1 I'd implant. It actually got better later on with massage. Very weird from the surgery day. Even P'S was wondering what the hell. Weird things happen. 

• Galsal
    edited July 2014

Is it just me?  The area from the outer breast going up into the armpit is pretty sensitive and swollen, moving past the armpit and into the inside of upper arm.  I know the TE replacement was done only last Tuesday, however I don't recall this after prior surgeries.  At least I have a PS appt tomorrow to get checked and removal of the drain.

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2014

galsal, ask him exactly what he did there. My P'S took a dead lymph node out and I really noticed that spot. But i knew he was doing that. Maybe your PS had to do something in that pocket space. I hope you find out why. 

Much love

• Galsal
    edited July 2014

Yes, I absolutely plan on asking.  He'll certainly see it though. 

• Rmk711
    Rmk711 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014

After 4 excisions for stage 0 dcis, radiology doctor still not happy with clear margin range from pathology, I had right side mastectomy,1 sentinel node biopsy and tissue expanders inserted on June 12, 2014.  I have excruciating pain under my breast and shoulder due to muscle spasms.  Currently taking Valium as needed , which I can barely make the 6 hours. Hard to walk, get in a car it pretty much anything.  Going for 1st saline fill today and am fearful of more pain. Would like some quality of normal life back again. Anyone have suggestions for alleviating this pain?  

• Ally2345
    Ally2345 Member Posts: 96
    edited July 2014

Rmk711- so sorry you are having so many spasms.  Maybe the TE is resting on some nerve or something.  Perhaps the fill will help alleviate it.  My fills did not hurt.  I only felt some pressure.  The last two fills my skin felt more tight and my muscles ached a bit but overall not bad.  The times it did hurt, I used a cold pack.  Some have used heating pads.  My advice is to go low and slow on your fills since you are in pain now.  Maybe only 30-40 ccs, 60 ccs max.  Hang in there and I hope you are feeling better soon!!

Ally

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2014

Rmk, you are in the middle of the recovery from a mastectomy!  Of course you are in pain. Sometimes we forget what a major surgery that is. Take your pain pills. And the fill may alleviate some of the pain as it will lay differently in your chest. But remember it's only a little more than 2 weeks out of major sx for you. I was taking hydrocodone every 4 hours until my 3rd week. So please realize a large spread of people who have pain is common. There are a few who don't need help but they are not as many out there as those of us who need help. Please give yourself the time to heal! 

Much love..

• Galsal
    edited July 2014

Drain free, as free as the wind blows.....  Nerdy

• specialk
    edited July 2014

galsal - lol!

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2014

What a perfect way to describe that drain free feeling Galsal!

• Galsal
    edited July 2014

Now I can DRIVE!

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2014

hooray Galsal! Such a freeing experience.  

• happyteacher
    happyteacher Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2014

2nd the idea of the TE possibly setting on a nerve- that happened to me.  I was pretty scared of my first fill because the pain level was very high--- but it was like getting a pain "switch" turned off when I had the fill.  The pain stopped immediately!  The TE did shift back to a bad spot prior to my second fill, but again the fill made the pain stop.  On my last visit I asked the surgeon if once I am filled enough is it less likely to shift back to a bad place and he said yes.  Hopefully no more shifting onto the nerve.  Once it is off the nerve the TE's have been no issue at all.  I am still reluctant to reach and carry something with my arm extended thinking that his may shift the TE back to the nerve... but so far so good.  Hang in there!

• Radical2Squared
    edited July 2014

Had my first REAL fill yesterday!!! I had 50 cc' s put in the right about a month ago to even me out after the scab on that breast healed, but the left was scabby up to last week (surgery was April 8!) Went before chemo and got 40cc' s in each. Those TE's have already been sitting a while so I'm going very slow!