Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2014

good advice Xinghong. Last time I had chemo and whites were down. A bit healthier this time so that is on my side. 

Hang in there

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited June 2014

SharonS, I can't imagine to have TE in during chemo. That must be too hard. I had LD flap with TE on the radiated side. Did you have only TE on the radiated side? 

• kcat2013
    kcat2013 Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2014

I woke up with a rash of some sorts on my right side this morning. I have an appointment in a few hours for my PS to look at it.  But does this look familiar to anyone?  I'll take the pic down after a bit.  

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    edited June 2014

kcat...is it just on the one breast? Is it warm to touch? Is there swelling? Do you have a temperature (though note certain medications can mask a fever).

I guess my concerns are that it is an infection, like cellulitis, rather than a rash so to speak. Though it looks like you are quite a ways out from your TE surgery and have not had your exchange yet so it seems a bit unusual for it to be that!

Hopefully it is just a heat rash or allergic reaction.

I am glad you are seeing your PS - did you send your PS photos when you booked the appointment?

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited June 2014

kcat,

Are u scheduled to have exchange this week? Will they still do it? Update us on what ps says.... Thinking of you!!

• kcat2013
    kcat2013 Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2014

Thanks Divecat and Mommyathome.  PS looked at it and said it's some kind of rash.  Not bacterial or indication of TE infection.  She said it might be an anxiety rash due to my upcoming surgery, she said that is not uncommon.  But regardless of the cause she said it is not something that concerns her and we can go ahead with the exchange surgery on Friday.  The only thing she told me to do was make sure and wash the rash area well the morning of the surgery because rashes have little crevices that bacteria can hide in.  So , I feel relief that it's not a big deal! Thanks so much for responding!

Kendra

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited June 2014

Kcat

Use Hibiclens to wash the area-it's anti-bacterial.  I would start using it now- better safe than sorry!

Babs

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited June 2014

Good luck on Friday Kendra! Keep us posted. I'm glad to hear its not something she is concerned about and it won't delay your exchange!!! 

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    edited June 2014

I am so glad to hear that Kendra! I wish you a great surgery on Friday!

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2014

Hello ladies, I am proud to say I had my last fill in my TE's today.  I'm stopping at 820cc.  I don't want them this big but my PS wants the extra skin to work with.  So now we wait a couple of months to allow the skin to stretch before we move forward.  I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  Thank you ladies for ur support.

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2014

Purple sounds like a good place to be. Congrats!  Kcat glad it is not an infection and good luck with the exchange. That is the easy part. Xinghong the chemo and TE were in early 2013. I was able to keep the left one and have a squishy on that side. The right side is the one with the TE. This TE was put in May 1. 

They did hyperbaric oxygen therapy before and after. My PS put the incision below my breast and it healed fine. When she did the first fill my skin broke down at the radiation place which was done with my first cancer in 2008. Only had lumpectomy at that time. 

It seems to be doing better since she took out some of the fill.  Off to hyperbaric again. Has anyone else had hyperbaric to help with healing TE TROUBLE?

A great day to all!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2014

purple - yay!  So happy for you!

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2014

Got great news yesterday! Last fill will be July 2. Stopping at 660 cc's. Exchange date Sept. 2. I see to have a thing for surgery and holidays. DMX was on St. Patty's day and exchange date is the day after the long labor day weekend! Let's hope the whole surgical team has a great, mellow weekend!

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited June 2014

Purple, the BEST news! Congrats.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited June 2014

purple, so happy for you!

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited June 2014

Kcat2013...be careful with Hibiclens...it is pretty harsh and if you already have a rash, it could make it worse. I had hives for over 2 weeks on foobs only from it.  Msy want to check with PS before using it.

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited June 2014

Thank you ladies....I am pretty excited about it.  It has been a longgggg journey.

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

Purple and KLJ, Congrats for almost done with TE! For those who are still having trouble or feeling uncomfortable from TE. Remember that they are temp as Moon said. 

I returned to work this week and so far so good. Next Friday I will get another fill. Feeling excited, looking forward, but at the same time a little afraid and worried if it will be ok. 

Hope everyone have a nice weekend!

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2014

Pre-op is done for the TE replacement on the 24th.  Thankful, since it's starting to bother me.

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

gal, Congrats! 

• sandra4611
    edited June 2014

Galsal, you're almost there! What a "trip" you've had. Hope all goes well next week.

Moon, how's the pain from your new knee? Do you have to go to physical therapy?

• Renee51
    Renee51 Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2014

Hello ladies, I still have the redness. PS decided to go ahead and put some fluid back into the expander anyway. Unfortunately, he also discovered I had another seroma in the same area as last time. He drained it and has sent it for culture. I have been on antibiotics for almost 20 days now. Most for preventative now, just hoping this will keep me from having another infection. 

I also started a new part time job. I am a nursing professor, but took the summer off. my new position is with a family practice office as a nurse practitioner. I feel great and getting back to work has helped to occupy my mind and keep me from worrying about all the what ifs. My new boss is always asking me if I am ok (I told them upfront, I had breast cancer) and need to rest. She always says don't do too much, if I get tired and need to leave or have appts she works with me. This is the benefit of being "extra help". I feel so lucky and less focused on my health problems. God is good!

• sandra4611
    edited June 2014

Well Renee, that SUX. Fingers crossed that you don't have another infection. You know, it took 3 changes of antibiotics until we found one that would kill my gram positive bacterial infection. I had a PICC line and IV vancomycin for a month until my "every 3rd dose" liver tests went sky high and I had to discontinue the vanc. Fortunately that was enough to kill the infection. If your culture comes back positive, perhaps a change in antibiotic would help you too.

• formerteacherofk
    formerteacherofk Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2014

I really don't like TE, I am still taking pain meds every 6 hrs.  Last week had 50 cc removed from left, and started PT still HURT everyday....just ready to start feeling "normal." 

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited June 2014

Hi Formerteacher,

Hang in there! I have yet to read about someone who loved the TE stage. I have them too. I will have them all the way through chemo and beyond. They've been in since April and I hate them.

There are moments during the day when I forget them...short moments. Most of  time they are just poking, pinching and pressing on me. I'm a skinny little thing so you can actually see the entire outline of the TE on each side. My skin gets raw where it pokes up and away from my ribs. It's just NOT fun...

I just keep thinking about the wonderful results to come... plenty of people on here to remind me it will happen!

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

formerteacher, long ago was your surgery? But hang in there it does get better. Hugs

Rad, this too shall pass! LOL

Renee, so sorry you have to go through this. I'm hoping for your sake the culture will be able to find an  abx for you! Both Sandra and i were on long term abx at some point. I had IV abx for 3 weeks then oral for another 3 weeks. If you are going to be taking them for a long time make sure you take your prebiotic. It really helps. 

Sandra, the pain is still there but I did not need Morphine yesterday. So that's an improvement..they gave me value to act as a muscle relaxer. It helped! Should be going home today. 

Much love to all!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305
    edited June 2014

Moon - so glad to hear you're improving.  And going home already!  Wow.  If I remember you have an upstairs bedroom so sounds like more time in the recliner.  Love how our "electronics" correct spelling when we don't want it done.  I'm not sure what "value" is - maybe valium?  LOL

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

minus! LOL yes Valium, LOL

And yes it means at least another week or two of recliner and sponge baths ! LOL

Walked to the Pt room and practiced 2 steps so I can get into house. LOL.  And got my walker. Yep. Officially an old lady now! LOL.  Now to get some jazzy duct tape to liven it up! LOL. .

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

Hi Moon, sorry to hear about your knee and glad you are having improvement.  I hope you have a speed recovery. 

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2014

Moon, jazz away!  I'm so sorry to hear of those with continued problems and can only hope that things work exceptionally well for all of us!

Thank you for the good wishes.