Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2014

My adhesive allergy lesions are practically gone and I can't wait to get back to getting these fills done! One more week off and we get back to it. I actually think we could have gone ahead with a fill this week but it has been kinda nice feeling about as normal as I have felt since surgery. No Tylenol, no tightness across my chest and actually can sort of sleep on my right side. The position of the expander on the left side must be different because it's still not comfortable to lay on that side. But all in all it's been a great 2 weeks!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited June 2014

yahoo! KLJ!  Yea to back on track. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305
    edited June 2014

KLJ - great news.  If you keep the fills low & slow, you should be able to hold onto that "almost comfortable" feeling.

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2014

Sadly, I was sent home after being prepped for surgery today.  The procedure was cancelled due to the TE not being on the premises but stuck in Memphis by FedEx.  It was supposed to have been delivered by 8am today but that didn't happen.  Some time later this month is when the date will be rescheduled.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2014

That sucks, GalSal! Sorry to hear it.

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited June 2014

Sorry to hear that your surgery time was rescheduled Galsal. 

Today I saw my surgeon. She was happy that the infection was gone and I was able to do the second fill. I had 60cc put in and this time I feel more tight and a little painful on the right side (no LD flap). I think it's still because of the scar tissue after infection. But I am happy that I can do the fill and they are getting bigger now. Happy

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2014

galsal - were you actually at the hospital? That is a bummer! 

xinghong - very good!  Keep an eye out for any problems though.

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

galsal! OMG! I'd be so p*ssed! How awful for you. Dang. I bet you were hungry on top of everything! Not to mention whoever was with you had to take off! Sucks! Hugs.  I think we are all ticked on your behalf. 

Xing. So glad to hear of your fill going well. Now watch like a Hawk!  If you have any Hibiclens use that around the fill hole. Fingers crossed that it goes well. 

Much love to all. 

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

Thank you so much Moon again for your help! I will be more careful this time. What's Hibiclens for? Why I need to use it around the fill hole?

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

It's a cleanser they give you before surgery! LOL.  Just don't want you to take any chances! LOL.  You can use any soap but be sure to watch the area. Salt and water is an antibacterial too. Sometimes I use that if I am worried about an infection starting but I am allergic to so many antibiotics that I try not to use them. 

• Galsal
    edited June 2014

Yes, my Sister was most unhappy to say the least.  As was I.  Yes, I was in pre-op for several hours with an IV in the hand and all.  New date is June 24th. 

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

I have that cleanser, still have a lot from last surgery. I will use it tomorrow. I still have a little tape on the hole area. 

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited June 2014

That really sucks Gal Sal !!!!!

Xinghong- it doesn't hurt to use the Hibiclens throughout all the fills-just an extra level of protection!  

Babs

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

Thanks Babs6287! You ladies know so much, even more than the Drs. Smile Felt very tight and some pain last night and took bothTylenol and Ibuprofen. Actually my surgeon told me to use Advil for the discomfort after fill. She said since I got infection, so Advil is better for the inflammation. Today I felt better, still a little tight, but no pain. 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited June 2014

Galsal, that's the WORST thing I've ever heard. My mouth is hanging open in shock.

• srdc2013
    srdc2013 Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2014

Hi Ladies -- looking for some sage advice.  Had bilateral on 6/4 with tissue expanders inserted.  Recovery going ok - no major complications and a received a great path report but I am worried this morning though.  I woke up and the right side feels totally different.  The top of my breast now feels very weird - almost like it's seizing and it feels like it's got more fluid. I checked the drain and it seems to be working ok but it seems like there is fluid in there that needs to come out - and I  feel a hard place that I didn't feel before (although I think that's the place where the injections for fills will go - she showed me the magnet she'll use to find the spot and I' m pretty sure that's where she landed but it's really sore and feels like a big huge lump) I'm a little less numb in this area so perhaps it's just the nerves coming back?  It's very uncomfortable.  I hate that it's Saturday and my PS office isn't open. Hoping someone here will have some insight.  Thanks!   

• specialk
    edited June 2014

srdc - there should be an on-call even on the weekends from your PS office - usually if you call the regular number the doc's service will connect you.  It may not be your doc, but the one covering for him/her.  You are not far out from surgery and the swelling does take a long time to dissipate - and there is a difference between swelling and the fluid that comes from the area in the drain.  It is not unusual to see and feel changes as time progresses, you do want to be on the lookout for redness, warmth, oozing, a fever, unusual pain.  It sounds like you have some muscle spasming - were you given anything for this?  Soma, Flexiril, Skelaxin or Valium?

Sandra - In April I had the admissions people tell me when I reported to the hospital that my surgery was being cancelled because they did not have the Tricare auth # - I brought it with me, but literally signed zero paperwork other than consent because they didn't have anything ready since they assumed the cancellation.  This was a semi-emergent surgery that my doc decided on the previous afternoon in his office and the OR squeezed me in at his insistence.  His staff worked very hard to get the insurance ducks in a row, but the hospital dropped the ball and were pretty casual about it, like it was no big deal.  I was there with nobody, which was sort of interesting - my DH was out of town and I had a friend drop me off, so I would have been hard-pressed to even get home!  This stuff happens - but I am surprised they didn't try harder for galsal to find an expander from another source - there are manufacturer's reps here locally that probably could have helped out.

• Galsal
    edited June 2014

Supposedly not many here use Sientra low height 470cc TE .  Apparently I structurally have a very short area for the TE.  There was talk of running around to find one, but most places don't have them on consignment.  At least I hadn't already been put under!

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

srdc, what Specialk said! Hang in there and make sure to take your temp. If it's over 100. Definitely call PS.

Gal, if they had put you out - I can't even think about that.wow. The mind boggles!

• specialk
    edited June 2014

galsal - do you know if they contacted the Sientra rep here? I googled and found a reference for the strategic advisor to the Sientra CEO is here locally according to LinkedIn.

• Renee51
    Renee51 Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2014

Hi all, I am doing much better after 10 days plus of antibiotics. My PS had me see another surgeon for second opinion on how to manage the redness ( and I mean RED) and itching. He suggested it was because initially a lot of tissue was removed and compromised blood supply. This is also why I had necrotic areas and incision opened up. 

The redness and itching he suggested is related to the histamine effort and healing. More blood is getting to the tissue and just like I had the area that has delayed healing, progressing slowly, so is the tissue under the skin. He said I could take benedryl or use cortisone cream, but he felt it could delaying healing. So, I am gonna tough this out. He also recommended I go back to surgery to clean wound and close it with sutures. 

This also means more fluid removed from expander. I have had fluid removed twice now. I am a little lopsided now, but hey worse things could happen. So, I guess monday, I will find out what the two surgeons have decided is the best course of action. Prayers appreciated and please know I am praying for all of you too. God knows your needs.

Renee

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited June 2014

Renee

So sorry to hear of your troubles.  Keep us posted on what the Drs say on MOnday-wishing you an easy time of it!

Babs

• happyteacher
    happyteacher Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2014

I had a similar experience... in my case it was due to swelling lessening, thus making the ports on the sides more prominent.  I thought something was wrong too, but fortunately my husband remembered the PS saying to expect that. As swelling went down, the TE's became more uncomfortable, as they started to rest on a nerve.  The fills eventually switched the position of them and relieved the pain from that.  Hang in there.

• moonflwr912
    edited June 2014

Renee. Hugs! Hang in there. Wishing you fast healing. 

Much love to all. 

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

Hi ladies, 

Did you do any exercises except stretching exercises during TE in?  I want to do some light weight lifting and sit ups, but so afraid that TE will move and cause infection again. Before surgery I went to gym regularly and was able to keep fit, but now I gained weight on my belly and noticed loose skin on the arm. Please post your daily exercises to keep fit. 

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited June 2014

Xinghong,

I got the skin on the arms too and FREAKED out! I was muscular and 125lb before surgery. I went down to 103 with no tone by one month out of surgery. My ps asked that I not lift over 10 lbs until I completely heal (which is taking a long time for me).

I started using 6lb dumbbells while watching tv. Overhead presses really help with the tightness in my chest and curls and kickbacks are doing wonders for my tone. The loose skin is gone!

• specialk
    edited June 2014

I exercised with TE in - mostly stretching to improve arm strength and range of motion in the shoulders and stretching the chest. I learned the exercises from my LE certified PT. I also power walked about 5 miles a day with no problem.

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

Radical2Squared, after reading your exercises, I started doing exercises with 3 pounds Dumbbell and felt good. I think I will continue doing it.

SpecialK, power walk for 5 miles, that's a lot. I only walk 45 minutes everyday. I think I still haven't got my energy back from the infection. 

Went back to work this Monday and actually felt more energetic than staying at home. 

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited June 2014

Xinghong glad you are doing better. After my first fill and last hyperbaric I had a scab break out where I had radiation in 2008. Was your trouble on a previous radiated place?

I have been back for hyperbaric and today the PS removed some saline and put me on an antibiotic. 

I am scared!  My first infection which caused the removal and put me in the hospital for a week. That week was the worst thing that has happened to me during this 2x cancer journey. 

• Xinghong
    edited June 2014

SharonS, actually my infection was on the non radiated side. Good it was caught early and it was down after 6 days on IV antibiotics. I hate staying in the hospital too. I stayed in a semi- private room and it was really hard to get rest. Sorry to hear that your last infection caused removal of TE. Now I am scared too and has been very careful. Hope the antibiotics work and watch your temperature, otherwise contact your Dr. ASAP.