Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited May 2018

Well the lump under my arm pit is indeed cancer. Had a meltdown. Will be having surgery on Tuesday to remove the rest of it then a ct scan. Not sure at this point if I will be staying on Xeloda. I was hoping to be on it for many years. The scan and tumor marker will determine things.

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited May 2018

hugs Dianarose. We are here for you.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited May 2018

oh diana, sorry for this news, deep breath and remember we are thinking and praying for your

Me, just had call from united health care, some sort of confusion as they claim they do not have my supplimental insurance on file, how fun, just last week sloan told me i had great insurance, deep breath for me too

• Mamita49
    Mamita49 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2018

Dianarose.... Dear not what you want to hear. Day by day..... there is still medication out there......Never give up.

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited May 2018

Dianarose, I'm so sorry. But if they'll operate and take it out your tumor burden goes down! Maybe enough to stay on Madam X.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196
    edited May 2018
  • booboo1
    edited May 2018

Dianarose,

Thinking of you and praying for a good outcome. Like the others have said, we have a disease with many treatment options, so stay strong and let us know when you need a lift or support.

Hugs,

Lauri

• Dianarose
    edited May 2018

Well my labs were ok today. Tumor marker went from 55.8 to 56so not a big jump. Have a ct scan and bone scan in a couple of weeks so will be staying on Xeloda for now. I pray my scans don't show anything new.

Thanks for the support. I'm hoping that my tumor marker goes down after surgery on Tuesday.

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,531
    edited May 2018

Sorry dianarose.  There are tons of good chemo's available for us.  I hope that you can stay on Xeloda.

• denny123
    edited May 2018

Yay! I am almost in remission! I am a 16 year Stage 4 de novo with original liver mets, but have been fighting chest node mets for the last 7 years. My Dec scan showed a lot of growth so I was taken off Kadcyla after being on it for 4 years. Went on a Clinical trial of Poziotinib that only lasted 8 days because of severe side effects. I had a lung scan for possible blood clots in Feb that seemed to indicate that the nodes were gone, but my onc said that the scan wasn't accurate for cancer. BUT my recent CT scan showed the same results, so apparently, those 8 days of heck destroyed the nodes. I started Xeloda with Herceptin in March, and that has kept me stable, so I will stay on it. Sure hope this almost-remission turns to permanent!

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited May 2018

I have scans next week. After a great scan in February I've been on two pills a day, no breaks. I will take a break June 1st so I can enjoy a vacation at the beach.

Side effects are mainly fatigue and dry hands/feet. More swelling in fingers where before it was feet on higher dose. I have limited fine motor skills.

I won't see my MO until after I've started my break. My question is does anyone have ridges on their fingers? It's like a speedbump right under the joint just below the creases, palm side.

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018

my hands have dark red areas on palms, it feels dry there and theymeventually peel, and itch and plain hurt but no bumps!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited May 2018

Diana, I'm with everyone else, hopefully you can stay on X for a long time.

Denny, I am still amazed. 16 years!

Zils, my fingertips look like they have been in water for a long time, left worse than right, but also very smooth with splits. I'm about ready to take a 2-3 week break. My TM's are in the 150's.

Proud, my hands are very red, mostly the outer edge of the palm (if that makes sense) on the side of my pinkies. Feet are beet red by the end of the day, also coming up the outsides of the feet up and around the tips of my toes. Bottom middle itch like cray cray and the cracks make it painful to walk sometimes.

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018

goldie, sounds like we have sim hands and feet, i keep slathering on cream, 3 times a day

Made it to gym this morn, felt good to see my pals and actually do a work out,

I,even came home with gifts from friends! Name of a new cpa guy and one of my Indian pals ran home and made non and shared her beans with me! Love my gym pals!

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2018

Diana, I was sorry to hear about the tumors and wishing you well on Tuesday. I hope you can continue with X.

Iris,what a wonderful gym surprise. How lovely of your gym buddies. I have a friend who has great long term gym buddies like that.

You go Denny!!! :-)

My tumor markers went from 660 to 326 so I'm pretty excited. The H/F is still managable. The balls and heels peeled this round and then just stayed very red and sore. No cracking, yea! I get fatigued and have had some sleeping issues. My biggest complaint is I still have very watery and burning eyes and so far the opthalmologist isn't of much help. He now gave erythromycin ointment before sleep for the burning. I really hope at least that will stop.

My hair is growing back and I'm excited about having a (very) short cut and color for the summer. We are going on a river cruise from Basel to Amsterdau with AMA Cruise line in July! Can't wait! My scan is the first week in July and no matter what we are going.Travel is so normal.

Best to all!

Lisa

• Donnabelle
    Donnabelle Member Posts: 140
    edited May 2018

Question for you wise ladies: will I still be able to go on walks if I start using X. Right now I am on Verzenio/Faslodex. I have a PET on Wednesday, and depending on that, my MO mentioned she may want to switch me to X. I walk almost every day for about 5 miles. It is absolutely necessary for my sanity at this point and I cannot give it up. Reading back on some of the posts has me terrified. She mentioned a 14/7 dosing. This is all new to me. Any thoughts? Advice?

Donna

• Dianarose
    edited May 2018

Donnabelle- I’ve been on Xeloda for around 7 months and I have itching and peeling but no pain at all in my feet. I use Eucerin Advanced repair cream I got at Walmart. I also wear loose comfortable shoes. I think everyone is different. I have been fortunate.

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2018

Donnabelle,

Dianarose is right. Everyone is different and you might not have any issues with feet at all. Althouth I've just ended cycle #4 I have found each cycle to be a little different too. I was horrified at the thought of not being able to continue yoga but haven't had to stop. This cycle my feet peeled and have been sore but I can still do a mile walk with my dog. During my 2nd cycle I had sore feet but was still able to log in 5 miles a day on a trip to San Francisco. I use aquaphor and eucerine (not at same time) and wear Sketchers for walking. I tried Udder cream with urea but found it too messy- it leaves a white residue on clothing.

Wishing you the best and that you can stay on your current treatment! Faslodex was so easy!!!

Lisa

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited May 2018

Donnabelle, as everyone else says, everyone is different. it also depends on the dosage.

I would say that for sure you won't have any trouble walking on the first 10 days. And probably not the last four days you are off. Day 11-18 may be a problem. Or maybe not. Make sure you have shoes that don't chafe. Its the rubbing which causes all the problems.

FYI it seems to be different every cycle.

Hoping your PET turns out just fine!

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited May 2018

I found an extra pair of insoles really made a difference even with new shoes. If your feet burn, use an ice pack at night. I keep mine in the fridge so they're not too cold.

Good luck!

• Donnabelle
    Donnabelle Member Posts: 140
    edited May 2018

Thanks so much for the responses/reassurances. I have done ok on Verzenio/Faslodex, TMs heading down and tumors shrinking, but I did have a tiny new spot on my spine last scan. The doc wasn't too worried about that. She is more concerned with my QOL, because the SEs have been tough.....diarrhea and nausea. I can live with it if the meds are working. I guess I'm just a chicken. Scared to make a change!

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018

donna, i had crappy feet before xeloda so hard to say how you will fair. But actually, i hit the gym yesterday, my therapy as got a lot of pals there, will confess to being tired today but like you with your walking, as long as the dang stuff works.....doing it!

Last night i,went back to wearing socks and gloves to bed, not sure why i had stopped, but hands and feet are much softer when i do that. I had asked the pharmacist for his suggestions when i reordered my recent script, find pharmacist I to be good resources.

Well, pouring rain today, guess it may be indoor day

• denny123
    edited May 2018

Donna, it also depends on your dosage.  I am only on 2,000 a day, 7 days on, 7 days off.  My feet get a bit sore after grocery shopping.  

• Dianarose
    edited May 2018

Sometimes I take a break from the lotions. I gently scrub off the dead skin and wait a couple of days. I never peel it off though. I’m on 3000 a day.

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018

i am on 8 pills a day as in 4000 daily and have at times forgotten the second pill but not intentially, i am heading to a foot doc next week to check and get an opinion of my poor black toenail! Pretty certain it is not going to survive but i want to be sure it is not getting infected

• Dianarose
    edited May 2018

Surgery went well. Took about 50 minutes from start to finish. Arm doesn’t hurt but my back does. I think because I was so tense on the table. Well that’s one unpleasant thing I can cross off my list. Next week naphostomy tube exchange. It is always something!

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018

diana, glad the proceedure is over, yeah i would be tense on the table and likely end up with some back pain. I have to say, a warm shower is likely one of the most relaxing things for my back, that and a nice cup of hot tea!

Soaking my stupid toe, a nurse suggested it as it is ugly black and my pt person said to watch it that it doesnt get infected. You are right, it is always something!

• booboo1
    edited May 2018

Dianarose,

So glad the surgery is behind you. I will pray for a quick recovery so you can get back to enjoying the things you like to do. Stay strong, and know that we are cheering you on!

Lauri

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited May 2018

Diana, good to have things behind you! Cancer-it's the gift that keeps on giving! Altho I don't really think of it as "gift". Hoping the naphostomy tube exchange goes well. However, I don't know what that is!

• Dianarose
    edited May 2018

Goldie- I have tubes through my back that go into my kidneys with bags strapped to my legs just to pee. Thank you dam cancer. They have to get changed out every 6-8 weeks. It’s not pleasant