Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited July 2018

interesting the way dif docs do the treatment plans, i have just recently been changed from 8 on 8 off to 8 and 7, too soon to see the dif it makes, just want my numbers to keep moving down!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited July 2018

LFF, I was telling my onc yesterday about your round with X, going off and then back on it but including the Tykerb, he said that is a tough combo, esp. with "D".

Denny, was also telling him about you. His mouth dropped. He said kudos to you and your docs! My HFS has been accumlative.

Shetland, I'm more than happy to share some straw with you!

Diana, I got my script for that cream, but won't be able to fill it until next week. Fingers crossed.

Msmerz, my husband has heartburn and took Omeprazol for many many years. He switched over to Zypan, it's a supplement, not a drug, and it helps him better than the Omeprazol. However, another friend of ours tried it and it did not help him. But I guess it's worth a try?

I took a 2 week break from X and didn't notice a difference until I went back on and they cleared up alot during my first 2 weeks back on! Saw my onc yesterday, TM's were up just a tiny bit, so staying with the same for now. He did say he wanted me to do scans in December, since my last ones were December 2016.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy 4th!

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited July 2018

Mzmerz, I started omeprazole when I had bad dyspesia (that's how my onc refers to it) on Taxotere. I don't notice it at all now and I was thinking of stopping it but maybe I'll just not rock the boat and stay on it it Xeloda is a known cause. My oncology pharmacist hasn't mentioned not taking the drug close to X but it is taken on an empty stomach so I have about an hour between taking the omeprazole and the xeloda. Dyspesia, acid reflux, heartburn - are the worst! I was also sleeping on two pilllows for awhile.

Booboo, my fingers don't cramp up but are very stiff all day and numb in the morning. I have heard of ladies whose HFS gets better with time. Hope that's the case.

Lester, thanks for the tip about a topper. I am going with just my hair. It is very short but so freeing to not wear a wig,hat or scarf. The growth is slow but it's happening. I wil enjoy for as long as it lasts!

Is anyone getting mani/pedis with HF? My feet are tender and at times there has been peeling and my cuticles are a mess. I still have a dark line down three of my nails from the Taxotere. I've been trying to give myself a manicure without polish but I sure miss a professional job.

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,531
    edited July 2018

Thanks Goldie!  I like to break records!

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

i get manis from a really fine gal who knows my situation, feet well i go to the podiatrist for him go cut my nails, i stubbed my toe a month or so ago and nail is falling off so i really need help, but my nails are in good shape these days, the hands are peeling though

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

i get manis from a really fine gal who knows my situation, feet well i go to the podiatrist for him go cut my nails, i stubbed my toe a month or so ago and nail is falling off so i really need help, but my nails are in good shape these days, the hands are peeling though

• Kamala1962
    Kamala1962 Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2018

I believe TM's/CA numbers are different for many individuals. My sisters CA was at one time 2100. After over 5 years on Xeloda, she has been as low as 12. Recently, her numbers are creeping. Ranging from 37 to 49. Thats why scans need to be done, ever so often to see whats up. 49 for one person might not be the same for another, as could 200.

There really seems to be no one way to use this drug. Many different days and dosage.

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

I thought i heard that dif hospitals used dif TM but confess since mine are heading down on madam x, well i feel good or at least to my next visit to onco!

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited July 2018

Goldie- I hope the cream works as good for you as it has for me.

Had blood work today. Everything ok and tumor marker stable at 56. Been staying at that number for about six cycles now. Let’s hope it stays stable for a long time.

• Kamala1962
    edited July 2018

Well, good news for my sister. She just has a CT scan done, and compared to one in 2017 and 2014. Zero progression or spreading. Scans look the same. Xeloda has been her champion drug. It will be 5 1/2 years on Xeloda this September.

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

that is great news for your sister!

• Kamala1962
    edited July 2018

I wish everyone here powerful thoughts of healing and peace.

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

morning all, gee when i got up this morn and fixed my strange hair, lordie but i do think it is going wavey on me! It was before taxol but came back straight but now definitely bendy!

I think the pain in my left rib is from coughing so i am trying to use my asthma med more but not working yet, think i will hit the hot tea today

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited July 2018

Hi all. Xelodaa is kicking my butt! I started my second cycle of 30000 a day on Friday. On Saturday went to the movies went out to dinner had an absolutely great day! However, Saturday night I did not get to sleep until around 5 a.m. Sunday morning and was not able to function on Sunday at all. I was actually awake for the day only for about 6 hours yesterday and all six of those hours for on the couch. Today I've been up for a few hours but I have no energy I'm shaking I sound like a hundred years old, my voice is weak and shaky. Totally did not expect this. Last time yes Saturday night was rough but I managed to get up at noon and we managed to actually have a decent day. And the rest of the week was not bad. Does anybody have any ideas why this is so bad this week? I don't think I can maintain this level with this much weakness.

Claudia

• meadows4
    meadows4 Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2018

After 10 days on xeloda, I got sick. I couldn’t eat anything and felt awful. It didn’t pass after a few days and then I became dehydrated and had to go in for fluids for 4 days straight. It came out of the blue like yours did. I am now on a reduced dosage of xeloda, 2 pills twice a day and I am doing ok with that. Dehydration can happen quickly so call dr. And get fluids if you have to.

• intothewoods
    edited July 2018

Claudia,

I don't have much to offer in the way of explanation or strategy but I can relate to your situation. I just finished round 6 and it seems like they are all different. I've definately noticed that if I am especially busy/active one day then I can be quite wiped out the next day and it seems counterintuitive, but I seem to have less energy on my week off. I'm on a slightly lower dose- 2500 mg: three pills am and two pm

Hope you are feeling better soon! And if you are in an area that is dealing with bad heat make sure you are well hydrated like meadows4 suggested. Even if not in a heat wave hydration is important.

Lisa

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited July 2018

This is my second month on X, I take 2000 in the morning and 1500 at night and I too find it hard to fall asleep and feel very tired when I wake up. Make sure to are it with food, it could diminish the other SE.

• bigbhome
    edited July 2018

Thank you for these tips! I hope I'm not dehydrated I'm also having serious stomach cramps. And as soon as I get any excess fluid it's in I'm Having excess bowel movement out. TMI, I know. I'm just so miserable. Doctor appointment Thursday morning.

Claudia

• meadows4
    meadows4 Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2018

I didn’t have stomach cramps but I did have the bowel problem.

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited July 2018

Claudia- hang in there.

I think we all need to remember that Xeloda is Chemotherapy and not just a pull. I forget sometimes. I too findctgat I’d ive been especially active, it takes me a few days to recover. I’ve been on Celoda for almost 6 years with minor time off. Just had a day where I had to take an Ativan after hosting out of town guests for the 4th. Haven’t done that in years. Be kind to yourself.

If you aren’t feeling better soon, I would suggest telling your doctor you need to see them before Thursday. It’s much nicer to visit them in the office than to go to the ER.

Take care

• intothewoods
    edited July 2018

I will get stomach cramps some rounds too. A warm compress really helps. I too have trouble falling asleep sometimes and am tired when i wake up even if I feel like I've slept well. For any yogis out there I recently discovered yoga nidra which is "yogic sleep" and it has helped me some nights. It's a guided meditation and I listen to a few different ones on the Insight Timer meditation app on my phone . I think you can find others on you tube.

• Dianarose
    edited July 2018

I too have trouble falling asleep then end up sleeping to noon and half my day is gone. I feel weak most of the time. Some days I send DH in the grocery store wit a list and wait in the car. I take 1500 twice a day. Don’t want to lower it as it appears to be working. I have had horrible hip pain the last two days. It hurts so bad it wakes me up. Just had ct and bone scan and the hip was not mentioned. I have so many bone mets they don’t count them. They just say scattered. I still get bouts of nausea even with medication. It makes no sense why some days are ok and then others feel like I hit a brick wall. I have managed to lose three pounds. Need to lose about six to ten more to fit into my clothes before Xeloda. Trying to eat less. It’s not easy as I don’t eat much to begin with

• bigbhome
    edited July 2018

Thank you so much for the advice! Dianarose, sometimes the hip pain can be from something else.

Claudia

• Dianarose
    edited July 2018

Bigbhome- probably old ag

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

hard some days to know what is plan old age, and what is something to call doc about. Too many dif aches. Been coughing lots so figure i may take mucinex before i hit the bed. I think i may have concentrated so much on the X pill that i forget simple things.

Not sure if i can try some bike time at the gym tomorrow, i know do not over do things again!

Going back to foot guy end of week, hope he can just take off what remains of my black toe nail!

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited July 2018

I've had one or two mani/pedi. My cuticles are the worst. Right now feet are ok but feel very leathery. Will try the Baggie trick

I've been on xeloda 8 months. Continuously since Feb. One pill am. One pill pm. Must eat not snack with it otherwise my pm pill will wake me up. I take it after dinner. Have to set an alarm in my phone.

I pop all my pills at the same time in the am, including the omeprazole and calcium. And yes not as hungry and yes to weight gain. Ugh.

Rather be "fluffy" with great scans than skinny. Flat chested too so belly seems bigger

I must drink more or I'll get dizzy. Wonder if I should try some Gatorade or something but can't stand fake sugar or fake flavors due to nasty contrast drinks for scans. I barely get them down. It's harder in the summer to keep fluid intake up.

I have off sleep nights. Agree usually can't do back to back full days. Feet and legs ache.

Haven't noticed thinning hair. Still have night sweats and hot flashes especially with chocolate or caffeine. The more tired I get the more I need both.

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

zills, i hate the taste of lo cal or no cal stuff, my drink is 2 inches of cran juice and then water. Sort of flavored water and no artiticial taste

course my h and f are so bad and wonder if i should call onc, my appt is next week. My derm gave me a cream that works but i have to use it or the h and f pops right back. Then again maybe i need to see how my next scan goes

• proudtospin
    edited July 2018

zills, i hate the taste of lo cal or no cal stuff, my drink is 2 inches of cran juice and then water. Sort of flavored water and no artiticial taste

course my h and f are so bad and wonder if i should call onc, my appt is next week. My derm gave me a cream that works but i have to use it or the h and f pops right back. Then again maybe i need to see how my next scan goes

• bigbhome
    edited July 2018

Meet with Mo today. We are lowering the dose of Xeloda from 3000 per day, to 2500. I am struggling with nausea, weakness and sleep. I sure hope this helps.

Claudia

• Dianarose
    edited July 2018

Bigbhome- I’m going on 3000 a day and I too have the nausea, tired all the time and nausea. I weigh 128 so to me seems to big of a dose. I sleep 11-12 hours and sit on the porch most of the time. I feel so weak I use a shower chair. You will have to keep me posted if you notice a difference. I have too many mets to count so I doubt MO would want to lower it. I’m alive but not doing much living. It wasn’t bad the first 3-4 cycles. I’m either on 9 or 10 now and really feeling it.