Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited September 2018

I use an athlete foot cream it feet have totally cleared up. I do get horrible cramps in my feet . We always called them Charlie horses as a kid. I got one last night the hurt so bad then after I couldn’t bend or feel my toes for about ten minutes. Scared me.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited September 2018

Diana, I have been using the cream, unfortunately they are getting bad again.

Sad

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited September 2018

My hands were so bad that my onc reduced my dose to 1 am/1 pm. No break. It's the same number of pills as those on 6 per day with breaks in a 3 month period.

I need an oven mitt to handle cold stuff. I have no tolerance to heat or cold in my hands.

If I'm on my feet a lot they burn at night. I use a cold pack with a towel and a petroleum based cream every night. I use a sugar scrub occasionally. I did have a pedicure and it was gross the amount of dead skin that came off.

I can usually control my nausea with a decent meal or chew gum but I have zofran for those other days. Must stay hydrated. I carry a bottle everywhere.

I was told to expect diaherra and very dry skin. I had a lot of gas and bloating in the beginning. I do have fatigue and nap or rest most days. I think if I could sleep well it might not be that bad.

I was given an xgeva shot every month for the first year. Now it's every three months, assuming my calcium levels are good. I'm supposed to take 1200 mgs of calcium every day.

I've had Charlie's horses lately. I think I should go back on magnesium. I probably should try an electrolyte drink too in this humidity but can't stand fake flavors or sweeteners. I really like a sliced orange and lime in a jug of water in the fridge.

I have two young children and now a new puppy. My reason to fight. Madame X has been good to me as far as killing the cancer. It's been almost a year.

• Dianarose
    edited September 2018

Zill- what causes the Charlie horses? I’m tired of them. I get them the size of a golf ball.

• SanJF
    SanJF Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2018

Hi girls

(from my mom)

Still mad at awful metallic taste.... Please help me with this and having no appetite...

As dairy products cause diareah but I have cravings for ice cream sometimes... Is it safe to have ice cream while on X???...

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited September 2018

i have small dish of ice cream every night and i am stage 4, it makes my tummy happy and me as well

• SanJF
    edited September 2018

Thnx proud to spin :)

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited September 2018

The aches and pains are caused by the lactic acid. A byproduct of cancer.

Magnesium citrate helps to relieve the aches and tension by relaxing those muscles and alkalizing the body.

Using a magnesium oil spray allows to put the magnesium right where it hurts. Its very effective for my current level of aches and pains. I prefer it to the oxicodone, to my palliative care team utter surprise and dismay

• Zillsnot4me
    edited September 2018

I have the mag spray from Amazon. I used to take mag pills. They will clean you out so if have diarrhea tendencies, avoid. The spray doesn't do that. To remove lactic acid from your system, you can also sit on your hands.

I tend to indulge my cravings. Right now it's a chocolate dipped cone. I'd say if it sounds good then try it. Or maybe another frozen treat. Chocolate banana slices frozen are very yummy.

Don't use metal or silverware to eat. Try plastic or bamboo. That's a horrible taste. I don't know if rinsing her mouth would help.

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited September 2018

Zills, A nurse got me started drinking Eternal Water, it is naturally alkaline, has natural electrolytes and is naturally ph balanced. I don't drink it all the time, just when I know I need a hydration boost and some electrolytes. It has kept me out of the ER a couple of times. Like you, I can't stand those fruity, sugary drinks! Just nasty! I also have been using Outshine Fruit Bars, they help me with nausea, cooling down from overheating and hydration. I also am a huge fan of fruits that have a lot of water in them. Honestly, if it wasn't for fruit, I think I would be in a lot of trouble with this treatment. Appetite is not good, nothing tastes good and eating has turned into a chore instead of something to enjoy.

I started having h&f symptoms, so I changed creams. I now use Eucerin Intensive Repair, I love it! Symptoms have gotten much better!

Dianarose, Don't quote me on this but I think if you take Magnesium Oxide, not citrite, it will not cause diarrhea. I switched only because I have constipation, and the Citrate helps with that.

Oh, a bit of good news, after 4 cycles of X, my tumor markers dropped!

Hugs and prayers,

Claudia

• Frisky
    edited September 2018

New study Finds: Starve Cancer Cells to Death By Removing Sugar From Your Diet

From Home, a Flipboard magazine by Stefan Michaelcheck

Cutting back on sugar may help decrease your likelihood of getting certain cancers, a recent study noted. The finding,…

Read it on medium.com

• YNonie
    YNonie Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018

Have you ever tried "So Delicious" its dairy free, soy free and taste just like icecream. It is a bit expensive aroun $5USD a pint. but soooo worth it.

• Frisky
    edited September 2018

Thank you YNonie, for your suggestion.

I checked the nutritional values and list of ingredients andI'm looking forward to trying the chocolate flavored one!! Nothing like delicious and healthy ice cream on a hot summer day

• Dianarose
    edited September 2018

Looks like I’m off Xeloda. Tumor marker has gone up four cycles in a row. I. Felt good so I really didn’t see this coming so quickly. So bummed out !!

• klmpk
    klmpk Member Posts: 50
    edited September 2018

Question Everybody: Hair.

I'm on 1500 mg. twice a day. 1 week on and 1 week off. I think I'm losing my hair. Not big clumps like with CA infusion, but slowly. When I comb or brush. Anybody else have this issue and if so what have you found helps. Also, I was hoping to get highlights but maybe not a good idea.

Karen

• Frisky
    edited September 2018

sorry about progression on xeloda Dianarose....what will be your next treatment? Were you offered various options?

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited September 2018

kimok-

I too am losing my hair. I had been in Xeloda for over 5 years without s problem. I was just out back on it and feel like it is causing my hair to thin.

Life course I’ve been on chemobfir 5.5 years, am anemic, might be premenopausal and have had radio surgery to my brain twice in 3 months. I am chalking it up to all these things.

If you find anything that helps let me know. I’m researching currently. I didn’t use to associate Xeloda with hair loss but I’m beginning to change my mind about that.

• Donnabelle
    Donnabelle Member Posts: 140
    edited September 2018

My hair is still growing out from Taxol (ended last December) and seems to be doing fine, however in the last week I just lost all my eyebrows again. Also no underarm hair. Weird.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited September 2018

Diana, my markers have been going up too, so probably moving on to something else well, most likely Ibrance. But we will wait until after scans in November. I don't notice any difference in my hair, on X for three years. Was hoping to get a long run like LFF.

• proudtospin
    edited September 2018

my last pet showed my liver was clear so today I am doing the infusion of ixempra, still taking Madame x although only 2 in am and 2 in pm, this med can only be given if liver is clear.

Sort of hoping to find others on this? It is meant to work on the mets to my bones

• Dianarose
    edited September 2018

Goldie- I will be starting Havelen on Wednesday. Not too happy. Pills were so much easier then infusions. Trying to figure out if I want to try cold caps. Just got my hair back.

Does anyone have to pay anything out of pocket for you Xeloda? Let me know and I can help

• wallaby715
    wallaby715 Member Posts: 183
    edited September 2018

Dianarose: sorry to hear that. I just started on Xeloda this morning. I'm hoping to get some length of time out of it as the next stop is infusion chemo...:( Wishing the best for you!

• wallaby715
    wallaby715 Member Posts: 183
    edited September 2018

Good morning (here) all! I jumped off the cliff today and started my first dose of Xeloda! I have a few questions for those of you who have been on it for awhile.

How much do you eat in the AM before you take your morning dose? I haven't been eating much for breakfast...a piece of toast and a cup of coffee. I'm just wondering if that is enough to counteract any SEs?

Also, have any of you had a SE that feels like you have a sunburn but under the skin? It's the strangest thing! I didn't have this until I stopped Afinitor/Exemestane. It appeared in the three weeks I was off before getting the Xeloda. I'm hoping it goes away with additional Xeloda doses. Always an adventure...

• Zillsnot4me
    edited September 2018

my skin gets prickly in the heat and weird rashes that don't amount to anything. I think my hair has thinned too. I did blonde highlights but hairdresser refused to do color.

Sorry to hear about your progression. My scans came back nothing new so go for another three months.

I find I need to smear pb on my toast and chase it with a yogurt drink. In the beginning I needed more but I'm on one pill am/pm. Also bloating and gassy.

To borrow a term from Stagefree (RIP)

Cinderfartell

• klmpk
    klmpk Member Posts: 50
    edited September 2018

Hi Wallaby,

Welcome to X. I'm loving it way more than Fasladex & Verzenio. I eat 2 pieces of raisin bread, oatmeal & blueberries and tea. Sometimes a hard boiled egg for some protein. Then I try to eat a full dinner. Meat, vegetables, etc. I've only had a little queasy feeling a few times and it passes quickly. I'm on 3 pills(500 each) twice a day. 1 week on and 1 week off. I had my first TM last week after 2 cycles and it came down from 214 to 210. Not much, but grateful it didn't go up. Good luck to all of us.

Karen

• SanJF
    edited September 2018

Hi all...

Please help me with it.... Mom on xeloda 2/2 14/7 and on 2 Nd cycle...

Feeling burning at place of stomach and so much weakness hard to stand... What to do now.. It seems like having GI SE but onc has given too late app... Any suggestions for quick relieve...

Taken omer amazo le 40mg*2

Antiacid syrups

Or anything else???

Dr will reduce the dose or increase the break???

Waiting anxiously for your replies plz

• Frisky
    edited September 2018

it might be wise to stop taking the drug till she feels better, or till tomorrow when you can ask her MO.

She might have to increase the amount of food eatenbefore taking the pills. It might help buffer the damage.

I hope she gets some relief soon

• proudtospin
    edited September 2018

i like to eat some protein, like yogurt or cottage cheese, no fats and a bit of toast, but honestly have always needed food in am!

Well got my infusion yesterday, the x cleared the liver but this infusion is to work on bone mets. It will be 3 weeks on, then 1 week off. Onc dropped my xeloda to 2 in am and 2 in pm as she thought that was better on my system. Crazy day yesterday as center was jammed busy, guess i forgot how really busy the get. Sure do prefer doing pills alone from the infusion. I was really grumpie yesterday! Anyone got some happy pills today?

• mimistewart
    mimistewart Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2018

I just started my first cycle of Xeloda !I feel zonked,tired and sick .like I could sleep all day is this norma

• EV11
    EV11 Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2018

HI, all....I'm a newbie on this thread. I'm learning alot from previous posts, so thank you to all who have offered suggestions and insights here.

Just switched yesterday to X from Ibrance/Letrozole. Was diagnosed de novo stage 4 in May 2015. I had 39 great months (42 cycles) on I/L and switched because we suspect I am developing resistance. I say "suspect" because I have ILC, and, as is common with lobular disease, none of my soft tissue mets show on scans, although my extensive peritoneal/omental/abdominal/colon mets are visible via direct visualization during surgery and colonoscopy... My very extensive bone and bone marrow mets show up, though, on CT, MRI, and bone scans. Bone involvement seems stable based on recent scans and alk phos levels, but CA27-29 took a 50% jump in early July and has stayed elevated for the last 10+ weeks, so in light of an unusual-in-MBC (and especially uncommon in ER+ MBC) EGFR gene mutation that was detected in a G360 liquid biopsy in May we decided to move on to capecitabine.

I'm on 3000 mg/day (1500 mg AM and PM) 7 on/7 off....will see how this does for me. I also had a CTC test yesterday to get a baseline number to use as a companion lab to see if it correlates with my CA27-19, since we really only have labs and symptoms to follow at this point. It' an odd place to be in to hope that mets show up on scans, but in a perverse way that's what I am hoping for.

We could follow treatment response/disease progression and perhaps even qualify for clinical trials if I were to develop image-able disease. But for now we're relying on labs.

Grateful to "meet" you all...

Elizabeth