Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• SanJF
    SanJF Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2018

Prayers and hugs for all of us...

Stay calm and hopeful dear Diane!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited August 2018

use tons of cream, the greasy kind.bag balm is my go to, twice a day

• wallaby715
    wallaby715 Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2018

Hello all! I will be moving to this page! I was on Affinitor (Everolimus)/Exemestane and will start Xeloda in about a week. I was on Ibrance/Letrozole, then Fasoldex/Ibrance before that. Seems like the normal progression of treatment. I'm hoping that Xeloda SEs are tolerable, as I've done pretty well on SEs through both the other treatments. Also hoping that it knocks down my tumor markers, which have been taking 20-30+ jumps every month for about the last 4 months. I'm encouraged by those here that have said they have been on Xeloda for an extended period of time. I was on Ibrance/Letrozole for almost 18 months before it stopped working but have ony been on Affinitor/Exemestane since March. I've been made aware of some of the SEs by my MO and by chatting with some of the ladies on the Bone Mets page. Be well!

Cindy

• proudtospin
    edited August 2018

welcome wall, xeloda has knocked my numbers down , just use lots of moisturizer

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited August 2018

MO is having me do another ct scan before taking me off Xeloda. My tumor marker was 56 then 58 and now 68. Not liking the trend! I refused the bone scan . Had major panic attack last time and it didn’t show anything that the ct scan didn’t

• tina_marie
    tina_marie Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2018

Hi Ladies, checking in again..

I'm about to take my last 6 pills of this 2 round of 2 weeks on and 1 weeks off. My feet got real bad, bright red and burning.. my hands just red and always warm. My mouth broke out in sores just yesterday.... hoping that this week off will settle everything down.

I'd love to hear from all of you that want to share how long X has worked for you.. Do we have a record number on this board..

I get my blood work again next week... hopefully my TM's will start going down.

Tina Marie

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited August 2018

I was on Xeloda for about 5 1/2 years. Was taken off it fircabout 5 months and now I’m back in it.

The first few cycles I found were the worst and afterwards my body got adjusted to it.

• Dianarose
    edited August 2018

leftfoot- what where you on the 5 months you were off Xeloda. I’m surprised that your back on it again

• wallaby715
    wallaby715 Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2018

Thanks Iris! Glad to hear that! I will be stocking up on moisturizers, Lansinoh and anything else I can find.

Cindy

• klmpk
    klmpk Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2018

Hi Tina,

I'm on 3 pills (1500mg.) twice a day, after breakfast and after dinner. 1 week on and 1 week off. I've done 1 week on, 1 week off, 1 week on, and this is my 4th day of my 2nd week off. So I'm new at this. So far the only SE is some redness in my hands and maybe a little on my feet. I'm actually using an aloe hand cream i got in Aruba on my hands 3 or 4 times a day. At night I'm using Vicks Vapor Rub on my feet. Don't LOL, but it's for my chonic cough. I would suggest any vaseline stuff on your feet. I have no idea why it would work but it seems to for me. Next monday i have my 1st TM - Ca15-3. I hope it's not up much. My ON at Mayo said you usually don't have much change for 6 weeks. I'm trying to be cool and not freak out if it's up. I'm just like " please God let this work because I feel so good at the moment.

Karen

• klmpk
    edited August 2018

Hi All,

Question: Who in the group has/had Invasive Lobular Carcinoma and how is Xeloda working for you?

Even though I got this Stage 4 DX in Nov. 2017, I feel I'm still new at it. I'm bouncing around all over BreastCancer.org, from new to, only for Stage 4'ers, to Invasive Lobular people to XeIoda girls. I feel like I'm obsessing over every word I readon the site and in my reports. I've been through Fasodex and Verzion before Xeloda. Just feel like i need to settle down.

Karen

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited August 2018

Diana rise- kadcyla. It shrank my liver tumors really well. Unfortunately for me, I have many tumors appear in my brain after 5 years without any there. We decided that Xeloda was probably helpingvto kerp my brain tumors stable and kadcyla was not. So they put me back on Xeloda and added Tykerb. I will have another brain mri in oct/nov to see if this combination is keeping my brain stable: I have s CT in September to see how the liver tumors are doing. My last CT said that Xeloda andtyketb were keepingvthem stable.,

We shall see

• klmpk
    edited August 2018

Thanks Diana. I have spots (?) by my cecum and peritoneum. Rteally kind of confused about it. I have a great Dr. but i don't see him every month to keep drilling down on this stuff.

Karen

• proudtospin
    edited August 2018

resting in my recliner, will head to my onc appt this pm, she has the results of my pet scan from Monday, staying positive as my numbers have been looking great but trying to figure while the shoulder/back pain

• klmpk
    edited August 2018

Sending all the positive thoughts i can manage your way for a great appointment.

Karen

• Tychad
    Tychad Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2018

hi. Hope you are doing good. I was wondering what you meant that your plura is diminishing. I had something called a pleural effusion. Is that the same thing. Now I have to start the medicine xeloda. I was on Ibrance and fasolodex but it’s not working . I quess. Is the xeloda working for you. Does the xeloda help with the pleural. I really don’t know what to do or what is going on. Thanks. Rhond

• Lester2017
    Lester2017 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2018

My thoughts are with you Proudtospin, I had my results appointment this week & I'm stable, praying for the same for you. Wouldn’t we all love to get off this darn roller coaster?

Question for the ladies using Urea cream, what % is best, 10, 20,40? My feet aren’t too bad, just did dose reduction but for 4-5 days painful to walk. Thanks for your input

• Kimchee
    Kimchee Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2018

Well now my doc thinks there's a good chance that I have ovarian cancer with my stage 4 breast cancer . I'm so sick and tired of this!!

How am I suppose to beat this ?!

• Dianarose
    edited August 2018

Kimchee- do they know if it’s ovarian cancer or mets to your ovaries? My breast cancer was in one ovary

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited August 2018

Proud, I hope you have good results.

Kimchee, so sorry to hear of your possible news of ovarian

Diana, hoping for good news for you. I am so glad I'm still alive, but this disease sure plays with our mental status as well.

A roller coaster in deed. Not sure of everyone's age, I am 60 next week, and one of the things that helps me get through this, is to think of the all the younger gals who are stage IV, with small children, and even children that have cancer and never have the chance to live to be my age. My fear is what the end will be like. I just hope it's quick.

• Kimchee
    Kimchee Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2018

Dianarose I go for a test next week . Pray for good news

• Dianarose
    edited August 2018

kimchee- I was in your shoes. It’s awful. I too had to wait and took my ovaries. I prayed it was the breast cancer and not a new one. To me it was a no win situation especially after the surgeon told me they looked like perfect healthy ovaries. I was shocked when they gave me the news.

I picked up the yucky contrast for my scan on Friday. I’m allergic to the one they mostly use so I get the thick ones like a shake. It’s nasty. I just had scans in June now because of increasing tumor marker I’m doing it all again.

• proudtospin
    edited August 2018

well back from onc visit, seems i have mixed reaction to the madam x, liver is clear......Yeah but it seems my bones are not looking good. So doc thinks i should continue on the xeloda but at only 2 morning and 2 night but start on an additional med, infusion...that will hit the bones, sorry not sure of name as a new one for me

Sorry but hey at least i got the liver in better shape,

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited August 2018

Proud, is it an infusion or an injection? I take Xgeva for my bones once a month, also called Prolia, or something like that.

• proudtospin
    edited August 2018

it is an Infusion, i do get a bone density med every few months but this is to target. the cancer in my bones

• SanJF
    SanJF Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2018

Kindly reply me lovelies,

As my mother has mets lungs/bones... Er+ her -... On XELODA... But cough is not settled... Its second cycle... 14/7...plz tell me how to cope with that...

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2018

Started Xeloda yesterday, and I had a bit of nausea and headache all day. I took zofran, and it helped some. Just looking for some tips on how you keep the nausea away. I'm already on Omeprazole 40 mg twice a day and metoclopramide 4x a day b/c of gastroparesis. I'm doing 2000mg of X on the 7 on /7 off schedule. Any tips/advice would be super appreciated!

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited August 2018

San, it’s been years since they have changed the TX for X from 14/7 to 7/7 which allows us to recover from the damages and SE of this necessary TX.

If your mother is suffering greatly from the SE, she might want to request either a change in scheduling or a diminished dosage.

Good luck!

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited August 2018

hello Nb, for what is worth...make sure to take the med with enoughfood.

I start eating, take my 4 pills midway, and then finish my meal.

I do it to ensure the drug is acting in a full stomach that hopefully will protect me from developing stomatitis or nausea.

Right after finishing eating, I feel a malaise in my stomach and mild nausea that lasts about 10 to 15 minutes. During that period I try to breathe normally and don't move much to ensure I don't throw up.

The good news is this drug is absorbed quickly. If I'm not mistaken the half life is one hour....

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited August 2018

Thanks miaomix!