All about Xeloda

Comments

• ann273
    ann273 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2019

Goldie, is this copay or coinsurance? I know I had one for Ibrance and Pfizer, the manufacturer gave me a copay card that brought it down to 0. Can you maybe check with the manufacturer?

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited November 2019

Ann, it's my copay. Guy that called me is going to check for me from the manufacture, hopefully for a $0 copay. There are no grants as of now, so I have to wait for him. They have to send stuff to my doctor to sign and then me and a copy of our tax return.

• ann273
    ann273 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2019

Lets hope that works out. It usually does. If they dont cut down your copay they'd lose the portion that insurance would pay out too. (Thats kind of how my insurance agent explained this to me) Imagine the number of customer's they'd lose to ibrance, just saying :)

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,529
    edited November 2019

Goldie-can you ask your chemo center about coupons from the company? They can usually get those.

• goldie0827
    edited November 2019

Yes Denny, I'm working on it with a guy at my insurance company.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited November 2019

I am about to start the X Monday. I read back on how you some said have a snack and take it..I am kind of trying to avoid eating in between meals..so my preference would be to take in the morning with my smoothie and at dinner...so my question is do I take it 30 before the food or 30 min after or right as I eating it?

Thanks,

Nicole

• meja
    meja Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2019

Hi Nicole,

I am on my 4th cycle. I don't like to snack either, so I take the tablets while eating breakfast and while eating dinner, - which works fine for me.

I hope you have a smooth start on Xeloda.

Take care,

Meja

• denny123
    edited November 2019

Take the pills 30 minutes after eating for the best efficacy.

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Thanks Meja and Denny :) Although those are conflicting...I guess I will try it both ways...???

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Can other medications or supplements be taken at the same time with Xeloda?

• goldie0827
    edited December 2019

I try to separate other supplements at a different time of the day, but not sure if it makes any difference. Sorry, not much help.

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Depends what they are. I clear all of them through my specialty pharmacist. But I don't take any iffy supplements. Folic acid in a multi-vitamin is okay, but no extra Folic supplements.

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Thanks Denny..yea I heard about folic acid I made sure its not in anything I take. :)

Well...I just swollen my first dose of X a short while ago.... *LORD JESUS BE WITH THE XELODA HELP IT SUBDUE AND SHRINK ALL THE CANCER IN MY BODY!!!* AMEN!

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited December 2019

And Amen

• Topacio
    Topacio Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2019

good evening everyone

Hope everyone is doing well.

I looking for some information

I was in the CLIMBHER2 trial witch was a blind drug( tucatinib )Plus :Herceptin and xeloda.....

To be honest I feel like Xeloda didn't help

At all because my Tumor didn't strink and also last month actually grow....I got radiation 5 times high dosage ...to try to control it.

Anyway I saw my doctor today and she said that the trail going to unbling the patients to see who was getting the tucatinib drug and then they are going to offer to me if I wasn't take it... but I have to wait .... We don't know how long is going to take and she is offering me this drug: DOXORUBICIN or Adriamycin.... That is a chimo drug And I possible going to lose my hair.

So I wonder for any other patients that had gone trough the same that lives in Ontario Canada if they have other options or info that can help me

Thanks in advance!!!

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

I have a question about the UREA cream.... ok so I bought this stuff and I do not have the Foot and hand syndrome yet..I wanted to have it just incase or even start using to try and pre-empt a problem..this stuff is AWFUL its like glue and doesn't spread out??? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something else I can use instead I think I need to send it back.

Also for those on a lower dose...like under 2500mg...how long did it take to see side effects??

• goldie0827
    edited December 2019

Nicole, I agree with how the urea cream feels. I used it along with another lotion or with some petroleum jelly. It does help. You can start using it now, it won't keep you from getting HFS, but it will help with those SE's, not making them so bad. I'm sorry, I don't remember when I got the HFS.

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited December 2019

Nicole,

I started using cream on my hands and feet right away, hoping to preempt any problems. There are several types and brands of creams that you can use. At night I use a Vaseline type product like Vermont Udder Balm or Aquaphor Healing lotion , then cover my feet with cotton socks and my hands with white gloves that I ordered.

During the day I go with something lighter, like Udderly Smooth.

During my first cycle I had two days that my feet felt like they were sunburned and so did my fingertips, but that went away and I haven't had any more problems like that. It was painful to walk around in socks like I normally do so I wore my cushy slippers or my Sketchers around the house . A few days ago I noticed a small piece of a split skin on my thumb and later some peeling but it hasn't gotten any worse and I keep it covered with a Band-Aid.

I just started my third cycle and overall I'm doing really well. My doctor is scanning me fairly early in the process so I should know something by the end of December.

I wish all good things for you on this protocol!

Katty

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Thanks Goldie and Katty... Katty what is a 1 cycle...a full 3 weeks meaning..2 weeks on 1 off? So for me 1 cycle would be 2 weeks 1 on 1 off?

Goldie good idea about mixing that with Vasaline...I will try that tonight.

• Kattysmith
    edited December 2019

I have two weeks of taking pills then one week off, so I call that my cycle.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited December 2019

Nichole, I've been on Zeloda since Aug 21, don't know how many cycles that is. Low dose. 2000 per day and 2500 per day. I don't have HFS, I use nothing on hands and feet. I don't have nausea nor diareatha (sp) either. My only system is mood swings and extreme tiredness. I read up to 65% get HFS.....maybe we'll both be in the lucky 35%!

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Snooky "From your lips, to Gods EARS!!!" yes I hope I do not get it. :)

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Ok so Day 4 X.....I am having twinges of pain in my right kidney....wondering if it is the X....

• denny123
    edited December 2019

I started out at 2 weeks on and one week off - that was my cycle. The HFS started on my second week, so my onc. told me to stop for 2 weeks, then go on one week on and one week off (still at 2,000 a day)-so that is now my cycle and has been so for almost 2 years.

I used the Urea 40%, Clobetasol and Ammonium Lactate and my feet got really bad. So on my own, I went to just Aquaphor on hands and feet at night with silicone socks and food service gloves. I found that the cotton socks and gloves just absorbed the ointment and my feet dried out and got worse.

After a few months, the skin on the bottom of your feet will probably peel off, but it doesn't hurt. I just cut it off the loose skin carefully with embroidery snips.

I also use Udderly smooth during the day on my hands and Aquaphor every 4 hours on my feet and then I wear socks since it is hard to walk in the silicone socks.

• goldie0827
    edited December 2019

Is everyone here getting their X for free?

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

I get it free.yes.

Thanks Denny. Can you link me to the silicone socks? I think I am retuning that 40% UREA cream today I cannot even spread that stuff and rather than add the vaseline to it...I think I am going to just either buy the 20% one...or just stick with my Eucerine and see how I do. Denny, by any chance have you ever used Eucerine if so is Udderly Smooth better?

• Kattysmith
    edited December 2019

I'm on Medicare part A and B so my X was completely covered.

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited December 2019

I assume that Medicare pays for all of mine. I do not have a deductible.

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Nicole...Mine were $8, but these are only $3.09?? They come from China so they will take a few weeks to arrive. But you can use plastic bags until then.

The link was way too big, so just go to eBay and put this number into the search bar...303105262119. I got the kind without the straps first, but they slip off too easily.

These have a strap, but I still have to put a pair of short socks over them to hold them on. Also, the first pair ripped at the toes. So I ordered silicone toe guards for ballerinas and put those on first, then the silicone socks, and then the short socks. Use Aquaphor at first, of course.

I will post the toe guard number after I search for them.

I did use Eucerine and I like Udderly Smooth better.

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Nicole...this is the number for the toe caps....142308779969