All about Xeloda

Comments

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited December 2019

Topacio, I wish that I could help. I just don't know the answers. I was never on Adriamycin. Good luck with your decision.

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,529
    edited December 2019

Topacio...Adriamycin is usually given to all of us BC patients as the first treatment...along with Cytoxin. 4 treatments only.

But it is the standard because it works so well. I think that it is a good option if that is your only choice.

Nicole-it sure didn't sound like thrush anyway, but at least you know what to do this time. I am more sensitive to citrus and will get mouth sores or ulcers once in awhile.

Thrush does cause the white tongue and the tongue can also get very swollen.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited December 2019

Denny...odd thing still no pain..but ya know what?? Yesterday morning I drank hot water with a whole fresh squeezed lemon...by the afternoon those things popped out...CITRUS like you said....

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Nicole...bingo!

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

No I wonder if the Vit IVC I am getting today will effect that???

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 760
    edited December 2019

Denny

gemzar may be in my bucket. It is an antimetabolite category same as Xeloda. So MO wanted to try something my cancer hasn’t seen. Thus the anthracyline Doxil. Startingtomorrow. Port insertion gave me a huge bruise- probably from lower platelets. Ugh

good luck everyone on Xeloda. My MO said it worked to reduce the aggressive progression but just not enough to shrink.

Dee

• Topacio
    Topacio Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2019

hi

Thanks to all, my doctor want me to start with ADRIMICYN , she told me that in order to get Doxil I have to have first ADRIMICYN ??? Supposly this is the way that works here in Ontario.

I really stress now, I think I going to wait until the new year to make the decision

Have a great end of the year everyone and hoping the new year will bring us better things!!!

Topacio

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Dee----Gemzar is sooooo easy! I did have some hair thinning, but not enough to need a wig. And NO HFS!!!!! I had it with Herceptin. Back in 2004, Gemzar with Herceptin was a clinical trial Phase 3.

I tried it again for my chest node mets, but it didn't work on those. Kadcyla did, though.

Doxil might be in my future too.

Nicole...call your specialty pharmacist who distributes your Xeloda about the Vit C IV!!!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited December 2019

Jjzn, thank you. I am working with the Lily foundation and I have been approved. Verzenio to be here today, $0 co-pay.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited December 2019

Hi Goldie, So happy this has worked out for you! Wish you the very best with your new treatment

• goldie0827
    edited December 2019

Thanks Snooky, I will keep this in my favorites as there are gals here that I am connected with on other threads, such as you and Nicole.

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

(((((hugs))))) Goldie...even though I am not feeling all on board (but trying to) that X will be my magic treatment I am still looking at your LONG run with it for inspiration!!!

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Goldie....did you have big toenail problems with them lifting?? Mine are white and domed up and the lower 1/3" is red and looks like a new nail is growing underneath. They aren't too loose, like what happened when I was on Taxotere.

Was wondering if they just eventually lift off?

• goldie0827
    edited December 2019

Yes Denny, both big toes. They have a thick ridge in them, not sure about nail growing underneath. I use one of my syringes from Xgeva and fill it with Braggs Apple cider vinegar and inject it under the nail. It seem to help, but takes a loooooooong time for the nail to grow out. It is also on the left pinkie finger. Vicks Vapor rub is supposed to help as well.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited December 2019

Denny and Goldie, So are you saying this is a fungal issue? And if so why does the ONC not prescribe an anti-fungal?

Thanks

• goldie0827
    edited December 2019

Good question Snooky, never thought to ask my onc about it, just always dealt with it!

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Snooky-it isn't fungal at all. X changes the nail properties.

Thanks Goldie...I use pharmaceutical Tea Tree oil all around the cuticles. Funny that my left pinkie finger is affected, too. But it just has more of a white tip than my other nails.

• Jjzn
    Jjzn Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2019

Goldie

That is great news! I wish you luck. I really thought it was an easy drug but it was my first line treatment so I haven't had a lot of experience. Still waiting for my xeloda to arrive.

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Denny how long were you on X when you starting losing nails? :( Not gonna lie...the thought of that is frightening... :(

• denny123
    edited December 2019

I have been on X for 2 years, and the nails started to get weird a month or so ago. My friend said that hers just fell off painlessly.

I am hoping for that....

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Yay! Today is the beginning of the 18th year after my dx of Stage 4 MBC de novo! I am still here!

Keep the faith!

• goldie0827
    edited December 2019

What a blessing Denny. You are doing something right! Congrats to you.

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Thanks Goldie! I posted on Facebook and all of the nice remarks make me feel happy.

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited December 2019

That is phenomenal and I am so happy for you!

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Denny congrats soo awesome!! Can I ask...you have liver mets right?? How long have you had them ..and how many in the liver?? Where else are your mets and most of all which drug gave you the longest run?? You are literally all of us that have liver mets..our inspiration!!

• meja
    meja Member Posts: 84
    edited December 2019
    Fantastic Denny, so happy for you.
    Thank you for sharing.
  • JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited December 2019

WHOOPEE, Denny!!

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Nicole..I had liver mets upon dx...18 years ago. My liver was filled with them, with the biggest one being the size of a softball. I had to get a liver resection, and then 9 months of Gemzar with Herceptin cleared out my liver and it is still clear.

I presented with 2 chest node mets 8 years ago and Kadcyla kept them relatively stable for 4 years, then a clinical trial of Poziotinib got rid of the nodes in only 8 days.

Herceptn, which I have had for 12 years is what really helped.

• nicolerod
    edited December 2019

Denny thank you for sharing..oh yea... (I didn't have my glasses on earlier) so I didn't see you were Her2+...now it makes sense that you have so many years under your belt... I wonder if they can try that on me if X doesn't work...even though I am HER2-......

• denny123
    edited December 2019

Nicole...well my last chest node tumors turned into Her 2 neg, so when I have another recurrence, it could be either.