Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2013

Hi Vickie,

It is a pleasure to meet you. I am so glad you are healing nicely. 7 sons WOW! You must have the patience of a saint. Thank you so very much for your support

• VickieHall777
    VickieHall777 Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2013

Thank you, Kate. I don't know about the patience part, but the grandbabies are sure worth not killing them! ;)

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2013

Hi everyone. I was put on a break from my last 4 boosts because my skin started breaking down real bad under my left arm. The worst is right in my armpit area. It's just real raw and just plain nasty. They have me doing domeboro soaks and prescribed me silvadene. Is there anything else that I could be doing to help my skin heal? I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you! Deyla

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2013

Deyla , you could try calendula cream. I got the Boiron kind from Amazon.....it really helped me when the silver sulfadene and a couple other prescription drugs didn't help. Remember to eat lots of protein too and good luck. I too had to take a break for a few days and its so disappointing. I know you just want to get done!

• Deyla7641
    edited March 2013

Thank you MostlySew! I'll look into it and yes I do just want it over with!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2013

Hi everyone, I had such a week that I fell asleep each night right after work.  Then, I'd wake up about 4 hours later and couldn't get back to sleep...I'd be up all night, then fall asleep again for an hour or two in the AM. 
    I caught up a little this morning, after yet another sleepless night.  I feel much better....
    Deyla, your skin breakdown must be so uncomfortable in that location.  I don't have much to offer except that I started tucking in a silky scarf everywhere my bra touched my skin.  It felt so cool and soothing.  I remembered to not do that for too long because the skin needs to breathe.  But it was a relief for awhile. 

I also can say that my skin discoloration has greatly faded over time.  It kind of looks more like freckling and sun damage at this time.  I peeled over the nipple and never regained the pigment there.  I was surprised.

Of course the aesthetics bother us the most; but it is the elimination of BC cells and the internal healing that we cannot that matters more. (in my opinion)

Hugs to all and it's good to be back here....
    Joan

• joan811
    edited March 2013

(((Kate)))
    It is so amazing - I was off for part of the past week and to see so much heartfelt concern and sharing....it brought tears to my eyes.  So much suffering; but so much courage.  Wow...what women go through...but we have one another and that is priceless.  I agree that we cannot talk to family about the fears and worries...they really do not want us to be sick.  And I don't blame them.  I hated being the patient...having the focus on me for the wrong reasons....

So, a stone in the pocket as a touchstone reminder...well, I thought maybe a donut in the pocket would be more fun for the pocket sisters...:-P

Seriously, Kate, I have followed your journey and this is just too much to take in.  At times like this, we go through the motions, numb and trying not to feel anything...  There have been a few occasions in my life when I realized that God had His hands on my shoulders as i was forced to walk toward that which terrified me.  And when I got there, I realized that He had already gone before me to give me the strength, the help, and the people I needed.  I can only hope that you will find the resources you need for your trials.

As far as our doctors and their actions...I have seen at times that doctors who are truly human go through their own fears and sometimes cover it by behaving "clinically" and not on a hand-holding or emotional level.  Kate, I think your doctor wanted to get the test results quickly so he could know what to tell you.  Just projecting ahead is like searching the internet....
    I've always said there's not much reason to look too far down the road...we can't see what's there anyway.

I am very grateful for the support here...and yes, this is the place to be honest about our fears, disappointments, and joys.  There's no judgment here, just love and support.
    Joan

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Welcome VickieHall777 - good to have you join us on this journey. We do glean so much from each other & theres strength in standing together:). Congrats on finishing rads & back to work & healing well. Makes those of us just staring rads not dread the daily grind wondering how to be still & if our skin will do well or anything else impacted...such a physical & mental journey this scourge BC.

Wow 7 sons 13 grand kudos:))) 1 son 1 grandson just turned 2...today was my first grammy day since surgery pure viva! 3 hr drive but oh so much fun...best RX

My lx is beginning to tan...aloe slabbed on air drying...hydrating...I'm a burn & tan fair skin SoCal beach gal.

Kate - enjoy your weekend focus on today and all those sneaky pockets :)

Sweet dreams (((hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Kate - I hate spell check on my iPad...

Heavy pockets full of your cheer squad :))

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Joan,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful post. So inspiring to think that God has his hands on my shoulders, and has gone before me to give me strength, help, and the people I need. He has already given me you and the other bs sisters, and I am more than grateful for it. I know that the reason my doctor called, with bad news, is that he is in a hurry to take care of this, and I appreciate it. He now knows not to call with bad news, because of my high blood pressure. Thanks so much for your support. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi RMlulu,

I am so glad you got to enjoy your grammy day. How fun is that! Grandchildren are the best.

I feel my heavy pockets, filled with my wonderful cheering squad. Bc sisters make the best cheerleaders.

Hugs, Kate

• joan811
    edited March 2013

The sun is shining today, but the midwest storm is approaching.  It will be just cool enough for part of the day tomorrow to see some snow...and quite cold at night.  It's quite a spring!  I found flowers blooming in my yard today (snow drops) and tulips coming up in a pot I discarded.  Smile 
    One good thing about Sundays is that most of us didn't have to do rads on the week end.  I hope you are all resting and enjoying the down time. 

Kate, I hope you are hanging in there today...
    Hugs,

Joan

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Joan,

I hate to make you jealous, but it is a gorgeous sunny day here In Santa Monica, Ca. I am finishing chores, and then I will go see the ocean views, after that. To be honest I am jealous of your cold weather and snow. I like cold weather and I miss snow. Hang in there with the bad weather. Hopefully spring will arrive there soon. Hugs, Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2013

Kate - You are making me homesick...again. I used to shop down in Santa Monica and then go down to Venice and just walk around and eat. The midwest has it moments in the summer but really miss those sunsets over the water out there and just driving up PCH. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2013

I lived in California until I was fifteen, then we moved to Reno so it was the first time I was around snow.  I learned to drive in it and I am so used to it I can't imagine winter without it.  Unlike so many I am not a heat worshipper and dread the coming of the hot summers here. We don't get a lot of snow here but at least we have a winter.  I love  the change of seasons!  Kate my first DH grew up in Buena Park.  When we visited his family I really did love the ocean and the feel of the sand in my feet.  We lived in San Francisco when I was a kid and my Grandma's house overlooked the bay.  There is something so magic and soothing about the beautiful waters. 

I baked some brownies today so how about I bring them to the pocket party?  Snacks are mandatory.  Your pockets will really be stuffed Kate.  Much luck in the difficult week ahead, and plenty of healing hugs to you.  :)

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Wow we have so many similarities. I love Venice beach, and I often go there with my breast reconstruction surgeon that I made friends with. We go to happy hours in Venice and malibu. We are doing it again April 19. Where in the midwest are you at? I was born and raised in Chicago, and my whole family lives there now. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Janis,

I like you am not a heat worshipper. I was born and raised in Chcago, and miss cold weather and snow. I am only in Santa Monica, Ca for 7 years. I hate to be stupid, but I am not familar with Buena Park. I have only been to San Francisco on vacation, and I loved it there. I love snacks Janis, and that is a great offer, but believe it or not I don't like chocolate. I know you bake a lot of other stuff, so how about next time white cake with cream cheese frosting, or banana cake, or cheesecake that doesn't have chocolate on it. lol. This time I will eat brownies, because you made it, so it must be good, and because your support is so nice. Hugs, Kate

• Deyla7641
    edited March 2013

Kate- I was born and raised in Chicago as well! I live in Hammond, Indiana now but It's just a half hour from the city. I also work in the south suburb of Oak Lawn. I don't know if you are at all familiar with it. I actually work in the hospital where I am being treated and all of my coworkers are just wonderful. I work the night shift so most times I go straight from work to radiation or doctors appointments. I hope you are hanging in there and just want to let you know I'm right there in your pocket as well :) Deyla

• VickieHall777
    edited March 2013

Cindy,

Thanks for the kind welcome. I assure you that your rad time will go quicker than you think. SE vary enormously,but for the most part, they do resolve fairly quickly. I am a little more than 8 weeks since my last treatment. My skin is almost back to normal, just some dry patches that love to be slathered with lotion. I am still needing to be very careful about my energy, but as long as I don't overdo, I am fine.

Kate, I am praying for you today. Take a deep breath and let the peace of The Lord bath you and feel His arms of strength and power surround you.

I pray everyone else has a truly blessed day as well.

Vickie

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2013

Kate - I was raised in Lansing MI and then left for 22 years. I lived in Pasadena.Moved back in 04 to care for my parents and they are both gone. Did not think I would be here this long but with the family home and probate etc you know how these things go. Hoping to sell next year after a few more fixes and get back out that way. Just nothing like it that I can think of. I have friends in Vegas and might also check that out but need warmer drier weather for sure. The winters here just beat me up more each year and I can see the difference in my body and my mind. Winter is depressing to me especially being alone.

I also used to drive down to Laguna Beach some weekends and have dinner at LasBrisis. Such a nice relaxing place. When I get back out that way we have to meet for lunch. 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Deyla,

I know of Oak Lawn and Hammond Indiana, but I am not all that familar with it. I was raised on the north side of Chicago, near Northwestern University. My family lives in the Northern suburbs. I am so glad your coworkers are very supportive. My gosh you have been through the mill too. How nice of you to give me support while you are in treatment. I am trying to hang in there. Today I see a urologist and hopefully get the bladder biopsy over with. It is wonderful to have you and my other bc sisters in my pocket. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Vickie,

Please forgive me if I didn't welcome you. Sorry you have to be here, but glad that you are doing well. Thank you so much for your support and words of encouragment. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Bunkie,

My ex son in law is from East Lansing Michigan. I have been there several times for showers etc. My daughter and her ex are on good terms. My two oldest grandchildren go to East Lansing for Xmas and Easter etc. The woman who started this thread was from Lansing, Mi. We have so many similarities, but we differ when it comes to the weather. Warm winters depress me, especially being alone. I miss the cold winters of Chicago. When you come back this way I would love to meet you. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

For all those who celebrate Happy Passover this evening Hugs, Kate

• VickieHall777
    edited March 2013

Oh my,Kate! I don't expect a personal welcome from everyone! I am just hopeful that I may be used to encourage others as well as check out a question every now and then. You just concentrate on getting the answers you need for now. I am praying for you!

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you Vickie. I appreciate your support.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

OMG my doctor's office has me worked up into a frenzy again. Someone from his office just called me and said I understand you are interested in trials. I said no, a trial for what, and she said maybe she got the information wrong. That makes me worry that even before 2 biopsy results he either thinks I have stage 4 or a malignant lung tumor. I just emailed him and demanded that his office never calls me, to upset me again. I was trying to relax before my 2:30 urology appointment, and now this.

• adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited March 2013

I just had my first radiation treatment today - it went OK. Although I would have to say that I am apprehensive about the whole process. I still don't have any cream - so perhaps I should go out and get some.

• MostlySew
    edited March 2013

Adagio.....yep....you definitely need to go get some cream. You probably could get the nurse to give you a sample tomorrow which would keep you going for awhile, but you really really need to start with the creams. 3 or better yet 4 times a day. And yes, the experience definitely causes apprehension, but, it truly will get better. I think about the first 3 were the strangest for me, then it sort of becomes "normal" and isn't as scary. Lots of us either watched the light on the ceiling, listened to music or counted clicks and beeps (I was a counter). You'll find something to pass the time, I'm sure. Good luck, but do get cream, drink lots of fluids and eat lots of protein.....

• MostlySew
    edited March 2013

Kate....have you got any Ativan at home? I know you don't like meds, but 1/2 of one will help tremendously with the stress of all this. Even if you take a whole one you won't feel it, it just helps with the anxiety. I never take meds either, but those tiny white pills sure helped me. Good luck this afternoon.