Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2013

I am extremly worried that my doctor is talking a biopsy before he gets the results of the pet scan

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited March 2013

Kate, I'm so sorry you're going through this, and can imagine how scary this is for you. I'm praying for you, and especially praying it's not mets. I'm glad you're able to get in earlier. Please let us know as soon as you hear anything!

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited March 2013

Instant porridge has little nutrición - i made fresh porridge from orgánica oats with nut milk, added sunflower seeds, coconut, linseeds, and grated nuts on top with fruit - gave me energy for hours

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you Andrea,

I am having the pet scan in about 2 hours, but I won't find out anything till Friday

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2013

Kate - I am wishing you the best with the results of your PET scan!

Question for those of you who have finished rads - did any of you experience significant swelling with rads, especially towards the end and if so, how long did it take to go down?   It's been two weeks since I finished, and they swelling went down quite a bit after the first week, but now seems to be holding steady and is still definitely swollen.

The issue is I have my daughter's Bat Mitzvah in a month and would prefer not to have to wear a sports bra underneath my fancy outfits, but my regular bras don't fit for a variety of reasons (too small in the cup on that side, but too big in the band since I've lost weight since being diagnosed).   I want to know when I can shop for a "real" bra since even if the swelling goes down in time, my old ones won't fit due to the band size issue.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you Annette. I had the pet scan this morning, and it wasn't too aggravating. I get the results Friday. Mazel Tov! My daughter's Bat Mitzvah was many years ago but it was wonderful, and I am sure your daughter's will be too. I didn't have much swelling, so I don't have advice for you regarding that.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2013

Hi All,

My computer AND hard drive died so I have been gone awhile and then had problems getting/retrieving my password. But now I'm back. Hope everyone is doing well.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2013

Kate, it is good to see you back here but so sorry about the circumstances!  Fingers and paws all crossed here for a very GOOD outcome for you.  I know it is scary, but my thyroid nodules were benign.  I am glad you got in earlier than planned.  Waiting is terrible I know.  Hoping for wonderful news on Friday!

This thread moves so fast now I can't keep up!  It is so good to read and catch up.  I know I have not been very good about posting lately.  I am not on the computer as much, my neck is really bothering me.  Even after surgery!  My surgeon took a lot of blood so I get results next week.  He thinks I have auto-immune issues.  Other than my neck though I am feeling great!  I love that spring is almost here (but I dread the long hot summers here).  I am much more likely to hibernate in summer than in winter!

We are enjoying walking the dogs daily, longer walks as the weather warms.  It is so nice to get out!  My broken arm is pretty well healed finally.  It doesn't like going above my head, but in time!  :)  The good news (I think) is I can bake again!  Saturday I made a blueberry-lemon cheesecake.  It took forever but was sure worth it.  I am trying not to be too bad.  I am making cake balls for some friends for Easter.  I haven't made any since Christmas so it will be fun to do them again.

Joan I am sorry your son is not doing so well in Chicago.  Moving is so traumatic I know.  I am glad that he is able to visit.

So good to hear from all of you.  Keep smiling!  :)

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Janis,

Thank you for your support. I am sorry you are having problems

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2013

Good luck to you Kate.  You seem so kind acknowledging all of the posts. I hope you get good news.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you waiting for the next step. I appreciate your support

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2013

Kate, I wish I could wave a wand and get your results.  

Annette, we were all different with swelling.  If the swelling hangs out too long it might be a touch of lymphedema, so it's a good idea to check in with your RO on his/her expectations for the swelling.  Don't get me started on bras...

Truebff- Hi there!  Nice to see you.

Hi Janis.  I was thinking about you today looking at the forms for those cake balls at cost plus market.  And now here you are getting ready to bake!  I'm baking my mother's chocolate Passover cake this week...I make it for my brother every year. So sorry to hear that youre facing possible autoimmune issues, but very glad your arm is better.

Today I read about a 5k (and half and full marathon) that benefits breast cancer called See Jane Run.  Has anyone heard of it?  It's in Alameda, CA.  

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Sab,

Again thanks so much for your support. A chocolate passover cake sound wonderful

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited March 2013

Good luck, Kate. Sending hugs to you.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your support

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2013

Kate, I've been thinking of you.  It can't be easy right now!  I guess you didn't get any input from your doctor today...what about the biopsy?  when is that result available?  I just want you to be fine....
    truebff welcome back.  It's busy here with many new ladies and that's a good thing!  But some days it is hard to keep up. 
    Janis, you said you are doing great - and I think that means you have much less pain finally.  I hope that's the case.  So glad you are getting out and able to bake.  Keep healing!
    Annette, I agree that we are all different in recovery; I didn't realize how much swelling I had until it started to go down.  It did go down quickly, and I think you can expect it to continue (more slowly).  I hope you will be able to wear the dress of your choice.  It's been over a year for me, and that side remains a little larger.  It's not noticeable or uncomfortable though.
    SAB - a chocolate passover cake....mmmmmmmmm...is it an old recipe?
    Well, except for the west-coasters, I'm probably the only one up...
    Nite all...
    Joan

• SAB
    edited March 2013

Joan, you are just on west coast time getting ready for your trip!  Yes, my mom's recipe. ground chocolate, sugar, ground nuts and a dozen eggs...that's about it. It sort of makes us feel like she's at dinner with us still.

I am definitely going to run that 5k on June 8th.  Any California girls want to join in?

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Joan,

Waiting is difficult, but I am hanging in there. I told my doctor I did not want to hear any news, even good news, over the phone. So, I won't find out about anything till Fri. morning. My doctor wouldn't even have the results from the radiologists yet. I did not have a biopsy yet. My doctor said first a pet scan then a biopsy, so I won't know when I will have a biopsy till Friday. Thanks again for thinking of me

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

OMG my doctor's office called about 30 minutes ago, and said Dr. Goldman wants to refer you to a urologist. I said I need to speak to him first. OMG I told my doctor I did not want any news over a phone when I am all alone, and that I wanted to hear about whatever it is when I see him Friday, and he ignored my wishes. I am trembling in fear. OMG a urologist ??? I had breast cancer, and now nodules in my lungs. What does it have to do with a urologist. OMG is this his round about way of telling me I have bladder, adrenal gland or kidney cancer???????

• justmejanis
    edited March 2013

Kate I know this is very scary right now.  Hang in there, hoping this is nothing serious and unrelated to the lung issue.  It does not necessarily terrible news.  I am sorry that you are there all by yourself.  He should have called and talked to you in person to avoid this!  Sending hugs!

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you Janis. He still hasn't called, and I am too frightened to call him. I am terrified I have Bladder or pancreatic cancer that has spread to the lungs. OMG I can't stop trembling

• justmejanis
    edited March 2013

Kate please call the office and ask for him to clarify. Leave a message and find out why you need to referral.  I can feel your fear from here.  I always believe knowing is better than not knowing.  Please make the call for your own peace of mind.  It could be so many non life threatening things.  I just want you to feel better okay?

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

I just called, and they said he tried to call and my line is busy. He is with a patient and going to call right after

• justmejanis
    edited March 2013

Good girl!  Deep breaths now.  I am so glad you called him! 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

I just spoke to my doctor and I have a tumor in my bladder. I will need a lung and bladder biopsy. I will know more when I see him Friday

• justmejanis
    edited March 2013

Kate I am so sorry.  Hopefully this will not turn out to be something terribly serious.  I hope he can get your tests ordered quickly. Waiting is miserable.  I just feel so badly you are all alone.  Hugs.......

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

(((Kate))) Praying that the tumors are benign! So sorry sweetie Frown

• SAB
    edited March 2013

(((((Kate)))))

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2013

Kate please call him back and demand more info. You will have a series of panic attacks waiting. Deep breaths. Deep breaths. Ok sorry just read your latest. I had a lung biopsy before. Hang in there. It still could be some autoimmune thing. I wish you were not alone.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much April, Sab, Bunkie , Janis and anyone else I might have forgotten. I am one tough cookie lol. After I spoke to my doctor and children I took a shower, got dressed and came to my favorite donut shop to play on my laptop. I did not want to ask my doctor too many more questions on the phone. Its all I can handle right now. I will find out more Friday. I do know he wants a lung and bladder biopsy next week. To done, anfmorrow I am going to get my hair done, and that always makes me feel good. I need to remain one tough cookie. Thanks everyone for your support. It means the world to me