Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2013

It sounds like a good plan Kate.  I am glad to hear you got out for awhile, that always helps.  Vent away as much as you need.  You may be a tough cookie, but you are still human, and vulnerable. 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2013

Good luck Kate,I'm sorry your getting all this bad news.I'll pray everything goes ok on Friday.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2013

Just wondering if anyone has pain during Rads?Why is that?I tried to sleep on my left side last nite And it was just to painful.My rads is on the right side but I guess when your sleeping on the opposite side it's gravity that takes hold as your right breast flops over.Oops didn't mean to create a visual.Sorry now you know my secret I guess after 3 kids I have floppy blobs.!!

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2013

Josie, my rads side is left, and my incision is on the left side of that breast. It has definitely been uncomfortable to lie on my right side, because the left boob pulls downward from the incision ... and it's tender from the rads. But my right side itself isn't painful. Hope that makes sense!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2013

Josie thanks so much for your support. I can use all of the support I can get right now

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Josie & Gemini4 -

I'm still sleeping with a soft 1x larger bra to make sure there is support and no skin on skin contact...oh and my boob sock to lift so my dimple on top does not press downwards. I'm a baby...still trying to sleep on my back but have pillows to support left arm up.

I'm a left side sleeper...can't believe 1/22 was the last night I slept in my comfort position.

The right side is tender and only works with pillow...

Glad when life ... sleep return to normal:) sweet dreams as we find our new sweet zzz spots...

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Kate - sending calming positive thoughts & prayers for only the best (((hugs)))

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi RMlulu,

Thank you so much for your support. I also have a cold, and I have a fever tonight of 99.5. I am wondering if this has to do with any of this

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

I hate to be negative, but this seems to methat I have breast cancer that has spread to the bladder and lungs. I will find out Friday

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited March 2013

Hi all you lovely ladies,

Kate, I am so sorry you have so much stress and worry right now. I had a horrible cold two weeks ago and ended up on antibiotics. Our immune systems get worn down. Drink lots of water and rest as much as you can. ((((hugs))))

who was asking about swelling? Was it Annette? My radiated side sometimes swells and other times is smaller. I am a year out from the end of rads. Everyone (MO, RO, BS) says it is normal. I am still wearing sports bras, genie bras or the bras that were prescribed which are cotton and look a lot like a sports bra that hooks in the front. The woman at the bra fitting place at the BC center said I needed to stick with cotton for comfort and it's breathable for my skin. 

I still sleep on my back with my head raised a bit. But sometimes switch to the side but I definitely need the pillow for my chest. I actually saw a pillow they make especially for that purpose in a catalogue. If I could only remember which one. 

Life goes on and we learn to cope, we come here to share and be comforted. 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Macatacmy,

So nice to hear from you and have your support. I am sorry that you haven't been feeling well. Hugs, Kate

• macatacmv
    edited March 2013

Kate, try not to think too negatively. I know it is so hard. But you won't know until you hear it from the dr. I truly wish your dr was more compassionate and understanding of what the waiting is doing to you. We will be here with you, no matter what!!!!

• macatacmv
    edited March 2013

Oh Kate, thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling so much better. But it has taken me a pretty long time. My immune system is just so worn out.  I went to the dermatologist last week and had two biopsies. He called me this week and said he had bad news and good news. First they were both basal cell cancer, but they were superficial enough for one to be frozen off and the one on my neck can be creamed (chemical peel) off. I said that sounded like all good news to me. My perception of what is good news has changed quite a lot.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Macatacmy,

Thanks so much again for your support. It means so much to me. I am here all alone tonight and scared. I did tell my doctor that I don't want bad news over the phone ever again. So I will find out more in his office Friday. Originally I really liked my medical oncologist, but the way he is handling this is very upsetting. Before the pet scan I told him I didn't want bad news over the phone, and if there was bad news to tell me in his office Friday. So he goes against my wishes and tells me I have a bladder mass, over the phone today. Then he has some uncaring urologist call me and say I am calling about an appointment for your bladder mass, and I will save you a trip. I can do your consultation, and stick a tube down you in the same appointment. OMG how cold and uncaring is that. I don't like her, and I need my doctor to find another urologist. I want to be put asleep for the bladder biopsy, and she said nothing about that. She only said I will stick a tube down you. Thank you for caring. Thank you all of my bc sisters you will never know how much your support means to me. Macatacmv how very sweet of you to say we are here for you no matter what. I feel your support. Hugs, Kate. P.s. I am sorry to be so needy right now

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

macatacmy,

I just noticed your last email. I am so glad you are feeling better. I am also glad you had good news at your dermatologist. Hugs, Kate 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2013

Kate, are you still at the same medical center?  They are very, very good.  I'm sorry you don't like the doctor.  

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

Kate, I am so sorry that doctor reduced you - the human you, to a "bladder" and nothing more. That is shameful. I would call your MO today and get the name of another urologist, maybe one that can see you right away. Otherwise, if this is the fastest appt and you need to know what you are dealing with, you could always get your tests and then give the doctor a piece of your mind for their attitude. Shame on them (not sure if it is a male or female) for speaking to you like that!

I really am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You have been on my mind a lot since you came here and wrote that you may have mets. I am hoping that they are wrong and that HAS happened hundreds if not thousands of times. No one can be sure until it is "in a dish" as the saying goes. They can make an educated guess, but they have been surprised before. Hang on to that, ok!

Huge hugs!

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Sab,

When I had bc all my doctors were at St Johns in Santa Monica. My medical oncologist is now part of UCLA. Yesterday he referred me to a urologist from UCLA Westwood. I am calling him back today for a urologist from St. Johns. Thanks again for your support

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi April,

Thanks so much for your support. Your post brings me hope. The urologist who called me yesterday was a woman. I have a call into my doctor to find another urologist. Hugs, Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2013

Kate, St. John's is well known, but you could do worse than UCLA!  What's happening is very tough, but I'm glad that you will have great resources for diagnosis and treatment. 

• CarolynVM
    CarolynVM Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013

Kate, it's difficult to imagine getting through all this.  It helps, though, that you've gotten through this before.  Remember the nightmare of figuring out what was happening with your bc?  You got through it, though.  There have probably been other things you've endured, other mountains you've climbed.  I wouldn't want to be in your position -- it's too scarey -- but we do what we have to do.  You'll make it because that's who you are.  God bless and comfort you, Kate, and give you strength.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2013

Kate I am from Pasadena and had good results with UCLA when I lived there. I wish they had been my BC group. I really want to go back so I feel better now about who you have. St Johns is really rated well.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Sab  I will find out who my dr. is referring me to tomorrow. I am going to try and insist on St. Johns

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Carolyn thank you so much for your support. You are right I found strength to get through this once, and I will find strength to battle this too

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Bunkie, Thanks again for your support. Emotionally I feel better today. I got away from medical issues by having my hair styled, and going to the Gap to buy some cute tee's on sale. Girlie stuff always makes me feel better. Tomorrow morning I will have to deal with medical issues again when I see my doctor

• macatacmv
    edited March 2013

Kate, glad you had some girl time today. It is a wonder how something like getting your hair done can change our outlook. I always feel so "cared for" when at my hair salon. Have you been writing down your questions for tomorrow? Is there someone that can go with you to the appt? Where's your wonderful BS friend, could she help out in this situation? 

One of the best docs I have seen was an ear, nose and throat guy. He asked lots of questions and then said he was going to stick a tube with a small camera in it up my nose and down my throat. I was what, I'm not ready! He says it won't hurt and I can tell you what I see right away. He was so through and caring. It did not hurt at all and I left reassured that my nose and throat were healthy. 

I know these docs deal with issues like these every day and sometimes they get kind of inured (sp?) to our fears. I usually tell my new docs that I am afraid or nervous. It takes a while to work into a relationship with these docs, but they want us to hit the road running (so to speak).

Hang in there.

• macatacmv
    edited March 2013

ridergirl, how are you doing? Did you talk to your RO about the skin irritation? I saw my RO last month and she said my skin was going to continue to change for awhile. It has been almost a year for me since my rads. When I stopped by the bc boutique and saw the woman who fits the bras, she said my skin was still healing and I needed to stay with cotton. I have "seen" you on a different thread and hope you are feeling better. 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Macatacmv,

I do have some questions for tomorrow but not many. First and foremost I am going to tell him that I do not want any bad news. I will do whatever treatment he wants me to do, but I do not want to know gory details. To be honest I do not even want to know the results of my biopsies next week, unless there is good news. I will do whatever treatments he wants me to do, and thats it. I need to keep a positive attitude, and stay strong for my kids, but I fall apart when I hear bad news. On the first day I heard about this I checked it out online, and it looks grim. Now I am staying away from researching about it. Secondly I am going to tell him that I don't want UCLA hospital, and that I only want dr's and biopsy's from St. John's. I also want to tell him that I want to be put to sleep for these biopsy's. I have a few more questions to ask, but not many. He won't know more till the biopsy's are done, and I don't want to hear bad news. My bs friend has an office across the street from my medical oncologist, and I have an appointment with her about one hour after I see him. If I am shaken up from my visit with him she will make me feel better. I am going to the appointment alone, but seeing her directly after is good. Thanks so much for your support

• macatacmv
    edited March 2013

Kate, Oh, I am so glad you are seeing your doc friend right after the other appt. She will be a good support for you. Yes, i would stay away from reading too much before you actually know what you are facing. Just know we are with you. I read on a different thread that someone was going to put a stone in her pocket and when when she touches it, she would remember us. stay in touch, please!

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much macatacmy