Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2013

Hi April,

I am sorry that your boss has lung nodules too.

I wish this was TUes. night so the biopsy would be over.

Thanks so much for your support Hugs, Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited March 2013

Hi again Kate. What is the plan to track down the bladder mass? So glad you are having the lung biopsy on your own terms. I am sending positive energy your way. I am glad you plan to have fun this weekend and soon you will have some answers. I have been having some bladder testing as well, due to a long run of UTI's that just started out of the blue. Ultrasound is normal, but I am scheduled for a cystoscopy. It doesn't help to be post-menopausal and not have a drop of estrogen left! What a merry go round we are all on! I have decided in all of it to just enjoy the heck out of whatever I can and tolerate the medical poking and prodding as best I can, and not borrow trouble. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I take a half a Xanax.,

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Gigil,

Both my MO and my urologist want me to have the lung biopsy first. Then after they get the pathology reports I will have a bladder biopsy under general anesthesia at the hospital. Unfortunately my doctor will be on vacation until April 9. I don't want to be called over phone lines with results of pathology reports, so I will have to wait to find anything out.

So sorry that you are having bladder problems too. I had a cystocopy Monday. It wasn't bad at all. I barely felt anything. xanax sounds good. If I am stressed in the evening I chill with a glass of Chardonnay. Please let me know when your cystocopy is, so I can give you support. xoxo, Kate

• gigil
    edited March 2013

Kate, I have never had a cystoscopy. Is it a bearable test? It is going to be April 8. did you get results on yours? What did they find?

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

I never had one before Monday either. This is the first time I met the urologist and he totally put me at ease. I was anxious for no reason. It did not hurt at all.

I had a ct scan 3/13 as just a screening test, because I used to smoke. I had one last year too, and that was negative. Thos year my doctor called me 4/14 to tell me I have 4 lung nodules total in both lungs. Then 3/19 I had a pet scan that showed a bladder tumor. Then this Monday I went to the urologist and he did a cystocopy and said I need a bladder biopsy under general anesthesia. I do not want to know the results of any of my biopsy's or tests if there is bad news. I told all doctors to just tell me if there is any good news or a treatment plan. So I told that to the urologist. For good news he told me my kidneys seem fine. I already knew the cystoscopy would show a tumor on my bladder, because it showed up on my pet scan. I did not ask him any questions about the results of the cystocopy or my urine test either. I am too fragile right now. All I really need to know is a treatment plan. I will be in your pocket 4/8. Hugs, kate

• gigil
    edited March 2013

Hugs to you Kate. I will keep checking back and will be with you in spirit on Tuesday.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thanks Gigil I will do the same for you 4/8 Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Does anyone know someone who had a ct scan guided needle biopsy of the lung? I am wondering how painful and/or how upsetting it is  

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

I don't know anyone Kate but will be in your pocket no matter what tests they throw at you. Most of the tests they give us are unpleasant, but I am thinking it will be ok and that it will be over with quickly and they will give you something for the pain? I did google this question for you and the answers were that it did not hurt..just a sting when they put the lidocaine on your back. Praying for you sweetie. Huge hugs Kiss

Also, they put you in deep sedation I read (use the drug Versed) so you won't remember any pain I guess.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi April,

Unfortunately this ct scan needle guided lung biopsy is done with local anesthesia, so I will be awake the whole time. The needle will be placed in my chest. I wish it were done with general anesthsia so I could be asleep, and not frightened.

Thanks so much for being in my pocket.

Janis, please bring on the the carrot cake with cream cheese frosting or lemon cake balls. I have to go in fasting, so I won't be able to eat till after the procedure. For the after party I will be starving for comfort food Hugs, Kate

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

They won't even sedate you???? That seems harsh but there must be a reason they can't/won't do it. Versed is the drug they use when you have a colonoscopy and it wears off quickly. I had it for my second lumpectomy and it put me out but it was easier to wake up from than the general I had for the first lumpectomy.

Huge hugs hon. The after party is gonna be great! Maybe you can wash down the cake balls with chardonnay? Wink

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2013

Katehudson, I asked for a tranquilizer for my breast MRI and I was able to have one after I checked in and signed the consent forms.  They administered it, 1 mg of ativan.  It's worth asking.  It wasn't really sedation, but it just made me not care so much.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi April,

I think the procedure can't be done with general anesthesia. I am calling them today to find out for sure. Online it says that I will be asked to hold my breath several times during the biopsy.

Washing down the cake balls with a glass of chardonnay is a perfect idea.

Thanks so much for holding my hand

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Runfree,

Thanks for letting me Know I might ask if the have Ativan

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited March 2013

Kate, the cake balls are done and passed out.  My pharmacy friends asked for the lemon which is their favorite.  I took some to the neighbor's as well, but saved some for your poscket party.  I also have some leftover chocolate/mocha cinnamon for those who might like the chocolate ones.  I'll bring plenty of both.

I hope the biopsy goes well and isn't too stressful.  I imagine they would give you something to relax you for the procedure.  Try not to worry to much.  Easy for me to say, I know. 

April I hope you are feeling better after that seeding.  I know how sore you were.

GigiL, it is really good to hear from you again.  I hope all is well in your world. 

All my blood tests came back normal, so the good news is I do not have an auto immune disease.  The bad news is I still have this terrible neck pain.  Now my left knee is bothering me.  I saw a doctor yesterday who is going to try some different injections.  He is scheduling me for a steroid epidural.  It is an outpatient procedure and I should know soon when it is scheduled.  Something has to change.  I am also going to take a break from Arimidex to see how much, if any, relief I get. 

Elizabeth sent me good luck!  I have been upset about not talking to either of my son's lately.  One is very busy and the other just doesn't talk much.  I got an e-mail from Adam, he is a geologist and is currently on an oil rig in NW Nebraska.  He even has his two dogs with him as his wife (also a geologist) is out of town on business.  Then today my oldest son called and we had such a great long talk.  I say Elizabeth sent the luck because she told me this was her Easter wish for me, to hear from both of them.  I am on Cloud Nine! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  Kate, cheering for you Tuesday and Bunkie, I'll be in your pocket on Wednesday.  I can say the thyroid biopsy is not painful at all.  I think it will go very well for you. 

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Janis,

I am glad your blood test were normal. Sorry that you are having Neck and knee pains. I am glad that you talked to your sons.

I think they are giving me versed to relax, but I am not for sure. I think versed is similar to what you get for a colonoscopy. Somewhere online it says you have to be up, and hold your breath when the doctor tells you to. When I called the woman who answered said I would be getting versed for anxiety, so I am totally unsure about if I am awake or mostly asleep. I am not too worried about the procedure itself the worry will come in when I wait for the pathology reports. 

Cake balls with chardonnay sound fantastic. Thank you so much for your support

Hugs, Kate

• justmejanis
    edited March 2013

Kate if they give you Versed you won't remember the procedure.  Good stuff!  You are still awake, yes, but you don't know it basically. 

Thanks for the cheer!  My neck and knee will be okay, minor compared to what you are going through.  I was so happy to hear from my sons!  They are not nearly as good as daughters about keeping in touch.  So I have heard anyway! 

I'll share the cake balls if you share your wine!  Laughing

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2013

Kate,I had Versed before both my lumpectomy and its wonderful.I felt like I was floating above the bed even though I obviously wasn't.It was a wonderful way of being wheeled into the surgery room.Count me in on the cake balls!!.I'll be praying for you and BUNKIE.Hope everyone has a nice Easter or Passover.I've been a little crabby lately in the evenings.I'm thinking it might be everything going on.I literally have no down time until I get home from work.I go straight from Rads to work every morning.It's getting kind of old.Monday is going to be 18/33. I have 3 weeks left.I feel kind of bad for my DH.He sees me at the end of the evening's when I'm most tired.I was happy for the day off today though.Maybe I'll make some time for him tonight.I can always sleep in tomorrow.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Janis,

Thanks for letting me know about versed. I am so glad to hear that it is good stuff. Sounds good that I won't know what the heck is going on.

You have been through a heck of a lot too. Funny but I talk to my son all of the time, and less often to my daughter. My son is going to call me in about a half hour. We usually set up a time for a call.  Family is everything, so I am glad you talked to your sons.

Definitely will share my Chardonnay. For those who like red wine I will buy Merlot. Can't wait to taste the delicious cake balls.

Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Josie,

Sorry that you are feeling run down. Rads and a full time job is exhausting. I hope you do sleep in tomorrow. You need your rest.

Thanks for telling me you felt good on versed, and thanks for your support.

Hugs, Kate

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Kate, thanks I have a lot to catch up on of course but Will try to rest a little this weekend.

Janis hope your neck pain gets better soon.

SAve me some cake balls!!

• justmejanis
    edited March 2013

Josie it sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now.  Soon the rads will be over and heopfully you will be feeling better and more rested.  Extra cake balls for you!  :)

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Thanks Janis It seems like every evening my youngest daughter (she's 10) will misbehave or somehow get on my last nerve and I yell or say something that seems to hurt her feelings.I sometimes forget that the kids and my hubby are needing me to.I find myself wanting to veg out in the evenings then I have guilt for not getting my housework done or giving the kids attention.Although they are pretty self sufficient at 10,14,18.I'm not so sure my 18 yr old still lives here though she's home about 3 nites a week.

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Hope I didn't give anyone the wrong impression with my last post.I think I am a good mom and very rarely have to raise my voice to the kids but everyone has their moments.I need to get motivated and get something done around here this weekend.I guess there's always tomorrow.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Josie - Give yourself the month of April off for healing & fun...:))) forget the lists it will all be there later and your family will step up...enjoy them. My secret is I hide in the bedroom for about an hour when I get home...me time to decompress...no one comes to the door. Then when I come out I am refreshed and ready for the evening. And congrats ...you are more than half way done! (((Hugs)))

Cindy

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Sounds like a plan to me Cindy.But It would take a shovel to get through the house if I took the whole month off!!My hubby got home from work the other night and I was just kicking back finishing the end of my book(Safe Haven) and he always starts to clean when he's frustrated about something and it kind of made me feel a bit guilty.That wasn't his intention but I think he was just blowing off a little steam from a stressful day at work.Maybe my house would be cleaner if he had more stressful days at work.Just kidding!!

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2013

new2bc- Congrats on Monday being your last day of rads!! That is great, I have 6 more to go. Tonight I am itchy which is new for me, I would loveeeee to get this itch!!

Ahh, the dreaded Tamoxifen- I wish I knew, he is giving the script on April 8th. I dont know yet if I will fill it... I hate all these decisions. I would love to do something natural. I have spent countless hours looking this up online, have found nothing statistically that is proven but neither is tamoxifen. I am 44, test done to see if near menopause and I am not. I am just feeling the same as you. I am ILC sneaky sucker so I am scared. The decision not to have a BMX was not an easy one, here they are very conservative BS, MO and RO acted like I was crazy for even wanting to discuss it. Once BRCA was negative I felt my choice was made. I will not do this again, if they see anything, even mention a biopsy ever again they are going. I only know we have to be at peace with our choices, the tamoxifen one I havent yet made. Heck, I am not so sure I am at peace with any of this 100%.

Kate- Still here, hoping the weekend whizzes by you and its Tuesday before you know it. Sending calming vibes your way.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Lemon,

Thanks so much for your support. Three days to go, but I am hanging in there.

Bunkie I am thinking about you. I hope the next few days go by fast for you too. My procedure is Tuesday, and yours is Wednesday, so hopefully Thursday will come by as quickly as possible.

It's almost Easter, and I hope those who celebrate will have a very happy Easter Hugs, Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2013

Hi everyone,

Have been a wreck thinking about this stinking biopsy. It is just the word biopsy. Last time I went in for the breast and they said it would be numb etc and it was not. Last time I had to take a Valium afterwards. I have one ready now. I am however ready to get it done so I can see if it is my thyroid that is making my body go nuts or some other autoimmune disease lurking. Once you have one you can get others.

I am cooking a ham, mashed potato's, collard greens, black eye peas and sweet potato pie for Easter. I am cooking it all for me and I am going to eat all day. Any procedure seems to make me drop weight so I may as well pack on a few pounds before I do it.

justmejanis - that is great you do NOT have an autoimmune disease. Good luck with that shot. They usually do help for a period of time. My mom used to get them.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2013

Bunkie

I am sorry your feeling so much stress. I like to keep my xanax close, just knowing its there if I need it brings me some peace. Its so scary and it just seems never ending. Try to relax and enjoy your cooking, sounds delicious! The days will pass and soon it will be over. Hope you can enjoy the next couple days.

Take care, xo