Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Hi Macaratacmv,

I took 1 mg of Ativan at 10 and woke up at 3:30, and stayed up. I slept with my leg elevated on a pillow last night, and the swelling has come down some. I look forward to having you in my pocket this morning and celebrating with you having cake balls and chardonnay tonight. I'll even add a bottle of merlot for those who want red wine. Thanks for your support Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Sew, thanks so much for your support. You are a doll. We will definitely celebrate cake balls, chardonnay, merlot, and hopefully donuts. See you at the party later today.

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited April 2013

Good luck, Kate! I'll be thinking of you!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Queen so sorry that you are in pain

April I am so looking forward to having you at my after party tonight. Save room for the cake balls and wine

So nice for you to be thinking of me when you have so much on your plate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Thank you so much Andrea

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Thanks everyone for the kind word of encouragement and good luck Kate.

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited April 2013

QueenKong: this

really helped when I was in the home stretch and right after rads were done... see if your RO or RRN can fix you up.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

OMG another emergency. About 15 minutes ago I went to the restroom to urinate and there was a hesitancy, and then came a gush of blood that had clots of blood in it. It has happened two more times since then. I am waiting for the nurse to call me back, they are trying to reach her in between patients. I am supposed to leave here in 25 minutes to get the ultrasound for my leg, and the lung biopsy 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

I just spoke to the nurse and she told me to go to the ultrasound and lung biopsy, and if I caontinue to bleed when I urinate to go to the emergeny room. OMG this will be quite a day. I am leaving now to go to get the ultrasound and klung biopsy, and thn I may have to go to the emergency room

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

QueenKong - Ouch! Yeee:(((. Please see RO for wound care. I ask each day if this looks normal...find your RO, RN, rad techs ask and seek help! No one wants you to be suffering...

Hoping today you find help for your skin and your spirits improve as help is coming!

Cindy

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Kate just go to the ER.....you have too much going on right now and I think you need to be seen right away!  Someone needs to figure out what is going on here.  I wish you had someone to go with you, is there anyone who you can call?  I worry with you alone.  Please just go and let them help you!  Hugs!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Queen ask your doctor or nurse avbout Tender Wets.  They are saline soaked pads that are chilled and very soothing.  You can try putting some cleaned washcloths soaked in water and chilling them and putting then in Ziploc bags.  Freezing them helps too.  I am sorry you have to go through this, I know how it feels.  If it gets very bad ask your doctor for an oral pain med too.  Fortunately this should heal fairly quickly.  Try to wear very loose cotton tops only.

Oh gosh feel better everyone!  This will be behind you soon.  It does get better, I promise.  :)

Sending love and hugs all around.

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2013

Ugh Kate!  So sorry you are having to go through all this.   I'd guess the blood in the urine is from the mass there, and maybe the swollen leg is from it pressing on something?  Sure hope you get some answers and a treatment plan soon!

Had my one month follow-up with my RO today and he said that despite some lingering swelling (and occasional minor fatigue) I'm actually "ahead of the curve" as far as recovery goes, so that was nice to hear.   He also said he didn't think I would have any problems with the Tamoxifen which I started yesterday.  I have to say he's my favorite out of all my docs because he is the most informative about EVERYTHING to do with the cancer, not just the radiation.    I go back to see him in 6 months, but since his daughter is interested in applying to our alma mater and my husband and I do alumni interviewing, I may talk to him sooner about that, LOL.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Great news Annette47!

Oh how we all want to be ahead of the curve:)) yippee! Very happy for you and your good news is encouraging for all of us!

Best wishes with your new tx...glad you like your MO too.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

Kate, when it rains it pours...so sorry for what you are enduring right now.  It is frightening to see that blood, but again, it is not always serious, so wait and try not to worry too much...it does no good (I know that's easy to say and hard to do.)  We are with you.

Andrea and Annette, I hope that radiation and Tamoxifen turn out to be non-events.  Radiation was tiring for me, but manageable.  Tamoxifen has been just fine so far, I guess I would be getting a little creaky at my age anyway Undecided

Josie, I hate to sound like a nudge, because fatigue is sudden and overwhelming, but try hard to maintain as much gentle activity as you can.  It will help.

Queen, I hope your RO can intervene and get you some pain relief.  Some of the ladies here had tough skin problems, and they will have good advice. I can just offer a hug, and hope you can get it under control and finish so that you can start the healing.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2013

Geeze guys, I can't believe all this going on..... 

Kate OMG.....I hope this finds you getting answers to all these problems.  I wish there was something more we could all do for you except wait and worry.  Janis is right, I think you need to get a ride today.  And...keep those ativan close by.  Good luck, let us know

Queen, I'm glad you found us!  That bad skin breakdown from rads is terribly painful, and as everyone says, talk with the doc.  I went thru sulfadene, triamcinolone cream, and clobetasol propionate by the time I was done.  I will very strongly recommend you get some Calendula cream by Biron from Amazon too.  It worked wonders.  Keep asking your RO, they're great at helping.  And...keep up the high protein and lots of liquids.  Sounds funny, but they really do help your body recover itself.  Good luck with your last 5 and let us know how you're doing.

Josie.....hoping the fatique is better.  Sab is right, do as much gentle exercise as you can, but also, don't forget the protein and the water.  Greek yogurt is great for you.  It will help feed your body so that it can get back to normal and fight off all the damage being done by the rads (which I guess is the point of the rads isn't it?)

Janis...we need an extra batch of cake balls......pleeeeeeze.........everyone's busily eating them while we're with Kate and the lemon ones she loves are running out!  Maybe some of your donuts? 

bunkie...I hope you're doing OK....we truly are going to be with you tomorrow too.  I'm great at transporting, or even time travel to cover everyone at once.......got any special requests from our resident baker, Janis, or our healthy eater Sab?  I'm great at finding spectacular latte's (my only claim to fame)...

Everyone else.....no more problems today, OK?  We got enough sistas with worries and I need to get going on my taxes!Surprised

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Sew, I'm so glad you popped in to remind us about protein and hydration. I love greek yogurt, and I have started using it in lot of different ways.  I just made a nice chicken salad with it yesterday (although who are we kidding, you just can't replace mayo, sigh.)  Eggs are always my go-to food for protein. Today my vegetarian dd and I had a nice frittata with sweet potatoes instead of regular ones lining the bottom, and lots of veggies. I admit that it is not nearly as good as Janis' cake balls, but dd keeps me honest.

Kate you would have laughed at me at seder the other night.  I drank the required 4 cups of wine like the nice Jewish girl that I am, and as it was the first wine I have had in about a year I was very looped by the time the end of the service came around!  Good thing the second half of the seder is singing! I also ate cake for the first time too, and celebrated my freedom from, you guessed it...bc! Back on the healthy food wagon now.  Sew, lattes still sound great, but I think I'll have to go with the nonfat version, or maybe almond milk!

Hang in there to you sisters who are in the middle.  It ends, it gets better and we find our new normal.  Sometimes the new normal is even beter than the old in some ways.  Hugs to all of you!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

(((Kate))) hugs and prayers from in your pocket....can't wait until you are back home and resting...been thinking of you every minute today.

QueenKong, So sorry about your skin...I had only one spot and it was underneath in the crease, where the skin was completely broken.  It hurt...and wearing anything or wearing nothing ---didn't matter.  I did manage to keep it cool and dry and I mentioned before here that I used a silk scarf between any sore area and my clothing.  That helped; but some of the other suggestions may bring you more relief.

SAB too funny about the wine....no wonder so many of my friends attend seders...LOL...

I will be leaving work and checking back later...so much going on...so good to have support here.

Andrea (I think it was you) - about seeing RO - I'm out almost a year and a half from rads and I still see the RO ... it's been 2x yearly.  MO is 3x yearly; and BS is once yearly.  So, I always have a dr. appointment.  My order of "likes" for the docs is this: #1 fave BS; #2 Ro; least fave MO.  I have no issues except for SEs from Femara; so maybe my appointments will be spread out in the future.

See y'all later....
    Joan

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2013

SAB - just have to LOL at your description of the Seder, as that was me, exactly!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Sab, loved your seder story.  And the chicken sounds positively delish!  You're my healthy example when I feel those breads calling...

Joan, so did I see that you finally got to your ?nephew's? school and talked about rocks with them?  Somehow that sounds like so much fun to do with youngsters, and I don't even know anything about rocks.  But the enthuasiasm of those grade schoolers is positively contagious.

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2013

Got the ok from my RO to start my dads back up! My skin is starting to heal slowly but surely. Just have 4 boosts to go and then I'm done!

Kate- saying lots of prayers for you today! Hope everything goes well!

Sending everyone healing/soothing skin thoughts!

Deyla

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited April 2013

Well we can cancel my pocket party for tomorrow. Changed it to next Wednesday at 8am. I have been sniffling for 2 days and we thought it might be a cold. My Dr thinks it is just allergies. All the trees are blooming. I do not see the Dr till the week after next anyway. Just longer to wait for a diagnosis. This will be better.

Kate - What is happening with your leg? I hope it is nothing.

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Go Deyla!  4 boosts will be over in a blink.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Yippee Deyla! Only 4 boosts...getting my dancing shoes ready :))) whoo rah!

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2013

Thanks ladies! I am so excited! After 33 and these last 5 boosts I am so done with radiation! Yippie! I am starting a new round of chemo on Monday though so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for minimal side effects. We shall see. Thanks for the support everyone!

Deyla

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Oh my goodness! Kate, I am praying hard for you hon. The advice about going to the ER is what I would do! Hugs and know we are with you.

Bunkie, we are still on for a pocket party with you next Wed! Feel better whether a cold or allergies.

Sew, I may have had a few extra cake balls. I can't help myself...stress of upcoming rads you know (I can rationalize anything that has the word cake in it..lol)

Deyla, sounds as though you will be done with rads very soon! YAY!!

Queen, I hope that someone helps you with this. I hate the thought that you are suffering so much. These ladies know what they are talking about. Ask for help and if you need it, pain meds. Hugs and hope you get some relief soon!

Josie, hang in there hon. Soon you will be done! I walk every single day and I am hoping that I can keep it up through rads and that it helps with the fatigue. Good advice..some gentle activity can help you I think. HUGS!

Janis,I am thinking you spend a whole lot of time with your oven going! LOL...cake balls for the masses are a lot of work! Thanks for baking them Kiss

Joan, are we ever gonna see spring in the tri-state area? FREEZING today! Ugh..need warm weather!

Sab, nothing goes better with wine than singing! LOL..glad you had fun!

Annette, wonderful news that you are recovering nicely.

CindyL- thanks for the tip on the mepilex..will have to remember that if I need something!

Cindy RMlulu, you always make me smile with your positivity! Kiss

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2013

Kate- Sending you prayer today, I hope all went well and they have figured out the leg swelling. I hate that you are there alone. I know the blood in the urine is scary, that goodness you are in good hands today.

Similiar to Queen I am also having issues. I have 4 more to go. Mine is more itch than pain but it is defintely hurting. Underneath is starting to become raw and I am sure by tomorrow the skins is going to open. And also in the underarm area, just hurts. Also the skin between breasts in also raw on the rads side. Thank you all for the tips I have written down the Mepilex and Tenderwets I will be asking tomorrow. Queen I hope you get some relief. I took a percocet but other than perk me up it did nothing. The itch Oh MY O MY!!

lemon xoxo

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Deyla, that's great news.  I'm so glad your skin is healing.....and you can now believe this truly will get over and done with

Bunkie...bummer about the sniffles......we'll have time to make even more goodies for your party though.  Strange that we have to go thru such harrowing things to get a party isn't it?  somehow that's all wrong!Undecided

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis,

The cake balls and Chardonnay have to be postponed. It has been a day from hell. First I had the ultrasound, and after I went to have the lung biopsy. They have me positioned on the table lying on my stomach to biopsy a vein. The doctor comes is and says they are going to biopsy a lymph node by mu pelvis. That has me panicked thinking I have  cancer spread to the lymph node. After that I go across the street to my urologist. He tells me I need surgery tomorrow. He is going to do a biopsy at the same time. The surgery is to clean out the lymph nodes, and to hopefully take away some of the tumor. I am not sure how long I will have to be in the hospital. For sure tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday. I am in the emergency room right now waiting for a room to open up. Please save the cake balls till I come home. Hug, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Anette, Glad you are doing Well I am having surgery on my bladder tomorrow. On the plus side some of the swelling has gone down.