Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Quick hi from work...
    SAB glad you had good family time.
    I had my entire family together yesterday, minus one (CA son).  We didn't plan it, they just came to DD's in NJ.
    April, glad you are "officially" tatooed...don't worry so much.   The SEs may not be so bad...it is emotional though.
    Kate, oh Kate!  What next....so sorry for more stress.  It sounds like you are going to have the biopsy and I am sure you will be relaxed...it is the waiting and getting there that is so hard.
    In the pockets...each step of the way.
    Hugs to all,

Joan

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

Kate, Oh dear!  It's 2:20 now and I'm thinking about you in the doctor's office.  I hope it's nothing serious.  I'm hoping for a nasty bug bite and a green light on your procedure tomorrow. My other thought is lymphedema...a lady that I saw at the LE clinic had leg swelling.  No use guessing, you may know by now!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Oh my Kate, sending healing thoughts your way. Remember I'm calling the driver ...after all your pockets are heavy & we don't want any problems with the wine&cake balls plus we are going to swing by the beach and watch the sunset...feel that ocean breeze! (((Hugs)))

Bunkie - we'll swing by trader joes and get more for your pocket party Thursday:))

April485- yeah all prep is complete...relax, hydrate, pack up those smokes, lube that bad girl, and laugh! Your going to rock rads!

Josie- priorities you come 1st! You're not going be on hoarding alive next week ha! It will be okay...you're almost done...next year you can laugh at your housekeeping food service laundry...but for right now it is the least of these...take care of yourself...breathe laugh:)))

Now lets start packing for Kate&Binkie's pocket parties! Yippee

Cindy

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited April 2013

Thank you, RMlulu and Cindyl for your replies. Guess I'll just plan on seeing the RO in July!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Hi April,

I am so glad your simulation is over. Making it real for you I understand. I cried after mine too.

I went to see My doctor's nurse practioner today regarding extreme swelling on my right leg. She ordered an ultrasound for it, and I am going to have it 1 hour before my lung biopsy tomorrow. I told her I wasn't sleeping well, and she gave me a prescription for 1 mg Ativan. She wanted to know if I wanted a prescription for a half mg, but I said no give me the 1mg. Have you ever taken it?  Is 1 mg very strong? She also moved up my appointment with my MO to 4/9, so then I will find out what kind of treatment plan I will need. I was a nervous wreck before my appointment with her. Now I feel much better. I can't wait for cake balls and chardonnay after my biopsy tomorrow. Thanks so much for your support. Hugs, Kate 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Waiting forthenext step. I do have a little cut, but my entire leg is swollen even my thigh. It feels like it weighs 100 pounds. Thanks for your support 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Kate sorry about the recent development.  Sometimes a small cut can cause cellulitis.   Hoping it is nothing.  As far as the Ativan, I take 1 mg. as needed but you can cut it in half and see if that helps.  Starting with the lower dose you may not have to take the full 1 mg. at one time.

I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight.  Good luck tomorrow, will look for an update.

Joan how fun you had such a large family gathering!  I bet that was special.

April you are one step closer to having this all behind you soon.  You will do just fine!

I hope everyone had a good Easter.  I can't keep up with all the posts either, I am not ignoring anyone I promise!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2013

Kate....how awful for you! You sound sane though, and I recommend you have the Chardonnay now...since its after 5:) 1 mg Ativan is standard, and I don't think you'll feel it at all. I do think you should take one before bed tonight and then tomorrow morning. I promise it won't make you weave...((hugs))

April, the 22nd will be here before you know it. But now you really are one of us with your "tats". Don't worry too much about the SE's with rads, heck there's a chance, a very good chance, that you won't have any at all. I'm hoping for that for you.

Bunkie....((hugs))

Anyone bringing the cards for this extended pocket party? I've already packed my pillow.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

joan, Thanks so much for your support

Sab, Unfortunately I still don't know what it is. My doctor's nurse practioner ordered an ultra sound at the same place I am having the biopsy tomorrow. The ultrasound will be 1 hour before the biopsy. Evindentally she doesn't think it is a life or death matter because she would have demanded that I go for the ultrasound today. Right now I am sitting at a donut shop near where I live, typing this post. As you can imagine I am on edge, because of my swollen leg, and the biopsy. I do better when I am not home alone. My leg feels like it weighs a hundred pounds. Unfortunately I fiddled on the net, and it says that a swollen leg could be a sign of cancer spread to the lymph nodes, and I pray that is not the case. Are you the one who told me you have taken Ativan? I haven't been sleeping well, and the nurse gave me a prescription for 1 mg of Ativan, and I am wondering how powerful that is. Good news she moved up my appointment with my MO to 4/9, so I can find out if I need a treatment plan then. Thanks so much for your concern Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Cindy thanks so much for your support. I can't thank you and the other bc sisters enough for being in my pocket tomorrow with support. I will think about all of the support, and it will make me feel so much better. In less than 24 hours we will all be having Janis' delicious cake balls washed down with chardonnay-YEAH!

Janis thank you for letting me know about cellulitis and Ativan. I am hoping the Ativan will knock me out. With all the stress going on I've only been getting 4 hours sleep a night. I can't wait for your cake balls tomorrow night. Hugs, Kate

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited April 2013

Kate, I cut my Ativan in half, and it makes me sleepy. A whole one totally knocks me out!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Sew,

I am using my lap top at a donut shop one block from my house. I am leaving here in a few minutes and will go home and have Chardonnay. I will take Ativan tonight, and I hope I will sleep well. Thanks so much for your support. I don't know what I would do without my wonderful bc sisters.

Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Andrea, Thanks for letting me know. Janis mentioned it too, so I guess I just better take a half. I have a low resistance for medication, because I hardly take any.

Hugs, Kate

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Kate, donuts sound good too! I also cut my Ativan in half sometimes. It calms you down but not for as long. I think if you're taking one on the way to bed, take the whole thing. It won't make you so groggy you can't wake up, I promise. I used to carry a Baggie of whole ones and half ones so I could "choose" as needed. Good luck. How late is the donut shop open?

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Also, Kate, what time are we doing this tomorrow? Should we meet you at the donut shop? We could get a bag to go in the pocket, even though Janis is bringing cake balls...

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Kate,

So sorry to hear about your leg.

Please know we're all going to be there with you in spirit or in your pocket!!!

Now a little note about the fatigue...It seems that those little things that I used to do like...walk the dog around the block or walking from the parking lot to the elevator seems to wear me out.I don't mean to sound selfish because I know this is tiny compared to what some of you are going through but thanks for listening anyway.I'm kind of bummed about it because the dog makes me feel a tad bit guilty since she's been stuck inside all day.My block is very small an d I knew it may get to this point but not to willing to accept it easily.I tried to stay active but it didn't seem to help.Sorry I didn't mean to ramble on.Hugs to everyone who needs them

Kate and BUNKIE.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Cindy Thanks for the kind words..your right I do need to cut myself a break once in a while.I do what I can and that's going to have to be good enough.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2013

Kate thinking about you! Hoping you are doing okay.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

(((Kate))) Take the whole Ativan if you are going straight to bed. Like Sew said, it won't knock you out for more than the night and you will be fine in the morning. I take the half size one cause I also take a pain killer for my bone on bone knee and the full mg would be too much with the two of them. You need sleep. I will be in your pocket tomorrow! Elevate the leg tonight and hopefully some of the swelling will be gone in the morning.

Joan, yup, have my 3 new tats... now I can officially hang out in a biker bar Wink

Josie, it is ALL ABOUT YOU right now as it should be. Hugs and know that you are doing great and before you know it, you will be done.

Cindy, you are the best cheerleader! You are always so positive..love that!

Hi Janis...I know what you mean. This thread moves quickly!

Mother Hen Sew, I know you are right...I am such a big baby when faced with the unknown. I know I will be fine! It was just so disconcerting lying on that table and knowing why I was there. I will put on my big girl panties.

Bunkie, huge hugs chica. Gonna all be ok! We are in your pocket too!

Hi Andrea!

I think I got everyone...if not, sorry!

See you all soon..heading to bed! Exhausting day.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2013

Good luck to you Kate. I hope the leg swelling turns out to be nothing. Prayers coming your way.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Sew,

Thanks for letting me know about the Ativan. I will take a whole one tonight for bed, because I am stressed to the max. I am home now the donut shop closes at 8. After the ultra sound and lung biopsy I hope I will feel good enought to go to the donut shop. I will let you know. The ultra sound is at 10, and the lung biopsy is at 11, and I am hoping to be home by 3:30 pacific time.

I can't wait for the cake balls and Chardonnay, and maybe donuts too. I so hope this swelling goes away. Thanks so much for your support. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Josie,

No need to feel guilty at all. you have problems too and you need a place to discuss them, and this is one of those forums where you can vent, and I am glad you did. So sorry that you are feeling exhausted.

Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Gigil and April thank you so much for your support. April I will definitely take the whole Ativan, and I have my foot elevated right now. I will post as soon as I come home from the biopsy so,we can stuff ourselves with cake balls and pour it down with chardonnay

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Thank you so much Lemon Hugs, Kate

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited April 2013

Kate,hang in there,it will be over at this time tomorrow. I,too,hope the leg is not anything serious. Glad you don't have to wait long for the ultra sound. I've taken both the 1mg and the.5, the.5 is enough for me to get a good night's sleep.Be careful of drinking and taking the ativan. We'll be with you!

Josie, the fatigue is frustrating,isn't it?But the more you take care of yourself,instead of trying to just push thru,the better you will be.I had a friend take my dog out for me during rads.I still walked everyday but pretty slowly.take it easy.

Ok we get the tats so why did my techs have to mark me up with sharpies? LOL

Good night,ladies!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate, we're glad to be here for you....I'm sure you'll feel like donuts tomorrow....maybe right after a nap since it will be such a relief to get this done! I may have to take an Ativan tonight too in sympathy for you, lol.....((Hugs))

Josie....I had that fatigue too, it is so surprising when it hits because its so sudden and so complete....but it will get better. Just do what you can, but when it hits....sit! You may find that you only need to sit for 10 minutes and then can start moving again. Don't feel guilty about not walking the dog....break the rules and play ball with him in the house...or tug of war or just pet him. Tomorrow you may feel strong enough to walk around the block. Or at least down the street and back. Just treat yourself well right now and worry about finishing up and getting your strength back.....and vent here whenever you want, it helps! ((Hugs))

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Hey macatacmy - our biker rad bar tats are so tiny techs must enhance with sharpies...sort of like Macaroni Grill servers writing their names so creatively upside down...mine look like they have bulls eyes...put a sticker on them each day or post it count down...yeah I'm counting...

Kate- limo, wine, cakeballs, full pockets, beach sunset...gonna be a great day...we got this:))

Time for bed...zzz

Hugs

Cindy

• queenkong
    queenkong Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2013

Here's where you all are. I've found you! :) It's 5:36am and I haven't slept. The underside of my boob hurts so flucking much. I have paunkillers but they are not doing it. I had today off and resume treatments tomorrow. I have 5 more left.

The underside hurts so much. I don't know what to do, the silverdine seems too wet and then I put the corn starch on and it seem too dry. It hurts. It hurts a lot. What the hell am I going to do. The axillary area is peeling but it doesn't sting like the raw open part of torn skin under my breast. I try to go topless but it seems to not be getting better. 

Sorry to whine. I'm miserable.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Bunkie and Kate, thinking of you both today!

Queen, sorry you are in so much pain. Maybe some of the wise ladies here can come up with something to help you. I haven't started yet so I am no help.

Off to work! Have a sparkling day.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2013

QueenKong, I hope you are insisting on seeing your RO or nurse before each treatment?  It might be that you need a couple more days "off."  Or perhaps they can move to boosts, giving your poor underboob a bit of a rest?  Also, it sounds as though you need them to really spend time with you on wound care.   Please pick their brains to the max.  Your pain is my pain.