Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2013

Kate I knew someone who was diagnosed with bladder cancer 30 years ago, and he recently died at the age of 96. They didn't have the therapies then that they do now. I'm sorry you had to get this news today. But we are all here for you night or day. You are not alone. You will get through this! Is the chemo directly to the bladder, or the other kind?

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2013

oh Kate, I am so sorry. I wanted to hear from you today but I didnt want to read this. I know it is emotional for all of us to see this happen to you, you dont deserve this and its just not fair. I am glad you are going to see your family. We are all here, wish I could do more for you and take it all away.

You belong here on this site, dont even think about going elsewhere. XOXOXO Prayers are going to just keep on coming..

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2013

Kate.....(((Kate)))), It's all I can say. And yes, certainly do stay here with us.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Kate sweetie, I am so very sorry that your news was that it is cancer in your bladder. We are here for you and of COURSE you need to stay here! You did have BC and you have a sisterhood with us already. Cancer is cancer. It all sucks. Period. All of our collective energy will get you through this time. As for the chemo, I know you are strong enough to get through it. And, there are chemos that your hair does not fall out. My MIL had two of them and not one hair on her head came out. I am glad you are going to see your family because you need them right now and it will do you good to see them.

We are here and will remain with you. I promise you , we are not going anywhere! As for calling an attorney, you have a little while before you must file, so don't worry about it now, unless of course that would make you feel better now. That is a draining experience and right now, concentrate on your health. You have a statue of limitations, but it is likely two years from the time of the harm. When you are feeling better, then do what you need to do!  Huge hugs!!

PS, my birthday was yesterday but thanks. I had a very nice one. Hugs again!!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Oh Kate, Im so sorry...Please stay strong and please dont go anywhere.Stay here with us and let us be here for you.I dont know you but from this website but I feel like I do know you. You seem like a strong person and I think your going to be ok.God is with you every step of the way and so are we.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Kate I am really sorry about your news, but you will get through this too.  It sounds like it has a very good outcome so that is great.  I know you don't want to do the chemo, but the alternative is so much worse.  Glad you are staying, you will have plenty of support as you go through this new journey.  Big hugs to you.

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited April 2013

Oh Kate, I'm so sorry it turned out to be cancer. You are a strong woman, and you will get through this. (((Hugs))) I'm praying for you.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

(((Kate))) - my heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry to hear that you have bladder cancer, but trust your team is the best and know that you are a strong warrior!

Glad you will be with family in Chigao and you've made it a no c zone. Wishing you a wonderful time that brings renewal strength and spirit full of love.

Please stay! You can't leave us...we're pocket buddies...we're united in this battle. Plus oh those cake balls&wine :)) we all go together!

Cindy

DH is 2011 bladder cancer survivor :))) so are you! Not will - you are!

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited April 2013

Kate - So sorry it wasn't the "all clear" we hoped to hear.  But you are a strong woman and will do what you need to do. (((hug)))  I too have a friend who had bladder cancer as a 50 year old & had 30 good years after diagnosis. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

Kate-From your post it sounds like your Doc is hopeful of a good outcome...so rest, enjoy your family and then come on home and put your warrior hat on!  We will be here for you while you fight.  Hugs.  Susan

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate,

I am so sorry to hear your news. But at least you do not have to wonder anymore. You know what it is and what treatment will take care of it. It also will take care of your lungs.

I have few questions to ask you. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to. With my previous bladder problems, I was always afraid I had bladder cancer. Besides the problems you described with stools, did you have any other problems with your bladder? I just want to know what to watch for. Also, did you take any medicine for 5 years after your breast cancer diagnosis? I am glad you will be enjoying your family before starting chemo.     

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Hi Lemon,

Thank you so much for your support

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

Even though I didn't ask the hard questions I know I don't have as good of a prognosis as your friend. I know I have lund nodules, and I know they did a pelvic lymph noe biopsy thinking I have cancer in my lymph nodes. No the chemo won't be directly to my bladder. It will be intravenously. My doctor says the kind he is giving me won't lose a hair on my head, and nausea will be at a minimum. I was ok when I came home, and I talked to my children. I am going to Chicago within the next three weeks, and will start the chemo when I come home. Now I am totally depressed. I don't know what I would do without you and my other sweet bc sisters. Hugs, kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Lemon,

Thank you so very much for your support. You are so very sweet, and I appreciate your prayers. Hygs, kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Thank you for your support mostlysew. Your support means so much to me.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi April, I am so sorry that I missed your birthday Happy Birthday! Somehow I feel like I have known you for a long time, and that you are a dear friend. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your support xoxo, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Josie123,

Thank you for sticking by me I so much appreciate your support. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis thanks so much for your support. No I don't want to do chemo, but as chemo goes this doesn't seem too bad. My doctor told me this is the kind where I won't lose one hair off my head so I am glad about that. He said I will have it once a week for three weeks and be off on the 4th week. I will be doing this for 4-6 months. On the first time of the month it is for 6 hours. The other two times a month is for 1 hour. Hugs, kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Andrea,

Thanks so much for your support

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Rmlulu,

OMG you are such a doll. Yes we are pocket buddies plus sharing the cake balls and wine. I keep forgetting that your name is Cindy. Cindy you are a sweetheart and it is so wonderful to have your support 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Cindy,

Thank you so much for your support

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Sab,

Thanks for recognizing that I am a fighter. After I come home from my visit to my family I will pit my warrior hat on. Thanks so much for being here for me. You always stand by me, and I so much appreciate it. Hugs, kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi new2bc

The change in my stools I noticed 18 months ago, and my family doctor said it was nothing. At xmas time i was at a mall and went to potty and I couldn't because there was hesitancy. I called my doctor he said it was a uti and gave me an antibiotic, and it went away. The main symptom for bladder cancer is blood in the urine, but the first time that happened to me was last week right before surgery. I did not take hormonal therapy for my breat cancer. I was stage 1 grade 1 with a 4mm tumor, and my doctor said I didn't  need it. My last lumpectomy was August 2011, so it has only been 20 months. Hormonal therapy has nothing to do with bladder cancer. They do not prescribe it for bladder cancer, and if I would have done hormonal therapy I still would have gotten bladder cancer. Hugs, Kate

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate and pocket pals,
    Well, this has been quite a day/week for everyone.  I have been off the thread but had a few minutes...am actually getting ready for an adventure with my DDs and grandkids...will explain more later.  Am up really late...so much to do. 
    Now, Kate, you know how sad I am that you are going through this.  I do not know if you read my signature, but I feel this really is for you.  I know how you feel about more cancer and chemo.  I know you said you wouldn't want to do chemo.  But here you are, rising up in the face of adversity, to face this cancer head on.  Thank you, Kate, for being strong because it can be any of us any day here....and you are giving me encouragement today.
    I am glad you will have the family visit.  It means everything. 
    I read that with bladder cancer the size of the tumor isn't as important as other things...I am just glad it is OUT. 
    I am going to believe that you will be getting a tolerable chemo and that you will keep your beautiful hair!
    I know many are not up this late, even the west coast...but Kate, I am thinking positive thoughts and saying a prayer...
    Josie, I was touched that you used your rads time to say a prayer...I often felt that instead of feeling sorry for myself I should be thinking of others or helping others. 
    We're here, Kate, and I know you are feeling down and probably scared of the unknown.  I would be....but keep talking and don't look too far ahead. 
    Hugs love and prayers,

Joan

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Joan,

I am still up. Thank goodness my doctor said that the chemo he is giving me won't lose a hair, so that is good. But there are other issues I am worried about with chemo like nausea, vomiting, being tired etc. Oh well i will have to do what I have to do, but it sucks. Breast cancer 20 months ago, and now bladder cancer. Thanks so much for your support

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Kate, have to hit the shower before work but wanted to give you a hug and these! Hoping that today you put your warrior hat on and get angry at cancer and kick it in the ass! Pull that strength from inside of you and after your visit with your family, come back ready for battle. They already took the tumor out, now they will make sure it doesn't come back.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi April,

Thank you so much for the flowers. I love them. I definitely will put my warrior hat on. Today I am calling an attorney. I am fairly certain I have a case. I need to find a good attorney. When I come home from Chicago I will put on my boxng gloves and kick cancer in the butt. Thanks so much for your support you are a doll. Hugs Kate

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2013

If my guess is correct, your pcp is cooked.  Quite possibly, he'll agree to an early and sizeable settlement and spare you the long, drawn out, court gymnastics.  And if that colonoscopy happened after your symptoms started, perhaps your gatroenterologist is deserving of a teeny bit of attention as well.

It sounds as though you have what you'd hoped for--a workable, hopeful treatment plan within your comfort zone--I'm so glad.  Enjoy your three weeks, then, with your inner strength and confidence, on to the next step. 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2013

Kate my friend did have lung nodules as well. He was an ex-smoker. From my research, and I do a good bit of it, bladder cancer is one type of cancer that chemo really works for. They have such good meds to prevent nausea nowadays. I have a 30 year old niece in the midst of chemo for breast cancer and she has had little to no nausea. I am glad you won't be losing your hair. That is a definite plus. You just keep taking care of your gorgeous self, keep up the beauty routines, and get the treatment over with. I hope your trip home to your family will lighten your heart and prepare you to come back and get this thing done! You have lots of friends here, and we will hold your hand, give you a hug and be in your pocket with cake balls and wine whenever you need us. xoxo. GiGi

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Brookside,

I am going to contact attorney's today regarding a mal practice suit. Thanks so much for your support. Hugs, Katr