Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Kate I am happy to hear the catheter is out and everything is good.  I had prolapse surgery last year and had a catheter for two days.  It is a relief to be free of them.  I saved you plenty of carrot cake.  The frosting is delicious...just butter cream cheese powdered sugar and my own homemade vanilla extract.  Good stuff.  I get a D- though on my diet.

Gigil...I hope you can get some relief soon.  I am glad you made the decidion to go with a female urologist that you are comfortable with. 

SAB I would love to sprend time in the kitchen baking with you!  We could have some fun.  :)

Deyla...big congrats to you for finishing!

Everyone else sending healing hugs.  Have a wonderful weekend.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2013

Kate glad you get to stay one more day and that you have such a good friend to come to your apointment with you.  She sounds like a very nice lady and a good friend.  Does your doctor do rounds on Saturday?  Has he been in to see you today?  Glad your leg is going down.

Dayla, I've tried the Pearl probiotic tablet.  I get such god awful abdominal cramping from that.  I can use yogurt though and I do that, but I am not sure if I am getting enough probiotic that way.  Maybe the brand you mentioned is something more native to the intestine and wouldn't hurt so much.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Janis thant you so much for your support anf the carrot cake. I am leaving the hospital tomorrow. Urine is normal, and swelling is down on my leg. My next step is Tuesday at my M O/s office. As I've mentioned I don't want to hear gory details So I will ask nothing about the grade or stage etc. All I want to hear is if there is anygood news at all, and what he suggests for a treatment plan. t is going to be a scary day for me, and my friend/doctor is coming with me, and that will help. Thanks so much for your support.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

Yes my doctor does do rounds on Saturday. He said I was good to leave the hospital Sunday. With all the drama I feel exhausted today and I will catch up on naps.

xoxo, Kate

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Catching up on naps sounds like a perfect thing to do.  Good for you.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

Kate, glad to hear you sounding so well!

Janis, I will be your baking buddy any time, though I'm probably only fit to be your dishwasher!  I must say that one of the nicest afternoons I've ever spent with friends was a cookie party.  Each person brought ingredients to make a special cookie, and then passed out the recipe.  Took hours, but I ended up with a very full tummy and a half dozen great cookie recipes.  Unfortunately I don't bake much any more because I have no will power to resist goodies that are in the house.  I am experimenting with sugar-free, whole grain goodies but I have a long way to go.

Was it GiGiL who asked about the weekend?  Just finished a 10 mile hike with dh and then ate way too much for lunch (pretty much offsetting the benefits of the hike.)  I'm hoping to drive up to my dd the elder's school tonight with the family and take her out to dinner.  She just had a brutal semester--a college-wide printmaking competition (she won!!!!!) then her school sent her to the midwest for a printmaking conference (she sold 5 prints!!!) and then home for her Junior gallery review and midterms (jury still out on both.) She can't make it home, so I'm going to pack up the last of my Passover baking from the freezer and take it up to her. Her success if very special to our family because she was an at-risk teen (Janis, I think you know the story.)  I know there will be ups and downs but I sure want to celebrate these ups!

I hope you all find fun adventures this weekend.  April, I hope you are getting a good early start on your birthday!

• justmejanis
    edited April 2013

SAB, you underestimate your skills I am sure.  I don't bake fancy as a rule, just normal things and none too complicated.  I do have patience usually with cake balls and they take that more than talent.  I still haven't mastered pie crust.  Drives me nuts I just can't get it right despite many many attempts!

I am so happy to hear such good news about your daughter.  That is wonderful, and how sweet of you to take her to dinner and bring all the leftover treats.  She certainly has done so much for you to be proud of.  I am so glad that she is doing so well.  Enjoy the visit!  Oh and ten mile hike?  You deserve a big meal.  That is amazing!

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Janis, with me it's sponge cake.  I know, I know it's very old fashioned and basic but man is it ever hard to get it just right. Younger dd has school work to do and beach party tomorrow so drive up north has been moved to tomorrow night.  The good news is that it is 5:23 and I get to put my pajamas on.  Ahhhhh. Kate, I'm ready for that PJ party.

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2013

Katehudson2,

I was reading your posts a few days ago when you had blood in your urine. I came back to see how you are doing. I am very happy that you are feeling better. I hope you will have good news soon and a speedy recovery.

GiGiL,

While I was trying to see how Kate is doing, I came across your posts mentioning frequent UTIs. Last year, before my diagnosis, my urine tests at the doctor showed that I had E coli in my urine. They put me on different antibiotics and when I went back to check my urine again, sure enough it had E coli again. So they gave me a different antibiotics and it still did not work. I started having reactions to the antibiotics such as hives, itching, underye dark circles with puffiness.  The urologist wanted me to take a low dose antibiotic for 3 months. I even tried that but I started having reactions again. I was very worried about this problem and was researching it online. At the time, I didn't know I have a bigger problem which is breast cancer. Anyway, I tried eating raw garlic with my food. You can add it to yogurt, etc. The next time I went to the doctor, the Ecoli was gone. I still eat fresh garlic every day because it is good for breast cancer too. Your problem may be because of the bladder prolapse where some urine stays in the bladder and does not get emptied. When you urinate, at the end lean forward and see if more urine comes out. Also, I came across a product called D-Mannose Powder which is a type of sugar that makes the baldder walls slippery so bacteria does not stick to it. I tried that also which was good. I just wanted to share some information with you. It may not apply to you but maybe some other people benefit from it. Please let us know after you see the urologist.        

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Kate, hoping you got some much needed rest. Praying that Tuesday is good news! xo

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Sab I love sponge cake too. I am so ready for the pj party too. I swear when my aggravation is over with I will have a real pj party, and I hope you will come. I have a friend who is a fabulous hairdresser and she can do our roots and blow out out our hair etc. I don't have a friend that does nails, but I can always hire one.

xoxo,

kate  

• gigil
    edited April 2013

new2bc your experience with UTI sounds like mine. I have started taking the d-mannose and using the posture you mentioned. I have not heard about the garlic, however. It makes sense, since both garlic and ginger have antibiotic properties. I switched to a female urologist who is affiliated with a pelvic floor clinic. I figured a bladder prolapse is something she works with all of the time. I also read that estriol is a weak estrogen that is actually protective and can be used vaginally and that it helps. I am researching that. I'm sure if I did that, I will have to do it on my own. No doctor I have found would take that risk - no matter what the research says.

SAB 10 miles! WOW! I am in admiration. I need to get much more active. You inspire me. Congrats to your daughter. Enjoy your dinner with her and your family tomorrow. Celebrations about our children's successes are doubly sweet! I live in Minnesota and can you believe I couldn't go to my daughter's farm because it snowed today! I spent the day at home doing laundry and cleaning drawers. My favorite pj's are now ready for our party, although I think Kate is dozing hard today, I hope she is.

Janis pie crust is my biggest challenge as well. I have tried some great recipes using lots od butter, but the consistency is never right!

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Well there is Kate! Hi there lady. Did you rest?

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi new2bc, Thank you for your support. So sorry that you are having bladder problems. Hugs, kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi April. Thanks for your support. You are a sweetheart

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am wide awake, but lets have the pj party tomorrow night when I am home. Funny originally my doctor wanted to send me to a young female urologist and I opted for an old male urologist lol, and I love him. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

Unfortunately I am not one who rests when I get ill. I do not like to give in to an illness. I try to keep everything as normal as possible, and try to do the things I normally do. My doctors will have a hard time keeping me down.

Hugs,

Kate

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Kate, there is something to be said for experience and bedside manner. My husband is an ER doc, aged 60 and I can honestly say he is at the top of his game. After 29 years, he is at his best.

• gigil
    edited April 2013
    i completely agree with keeping it normal and not giving in to illness! You are a strong lady!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Good morning ladies!

Kate, you sound so positive and that is amazing considering all that you have been through in the last 10 days or so. Keep that faith, ok? Kiss

Last night we went over to my bestie's house and she made an amazing dinner of steak on the grill with mushrooms, twice baked potatoes with tons of cheddar cheese, salad and lemon meringue pie made from scratch, even the lemon pudding part. I have been trying to eat an anticancer type of diet (more plant based, no red meat, very little sugar etc) but man oh man was that dinner good! I did not feel guilty one single bit cause it was made for me with love and that counteracts all of the bad stuff, right? Wink

We played Mille Bournes (anyone remember that old game? Surprised) and we laughed until our sides hurt! It was one of the first times since my diagnosis that I didn't even think about this cancer crap! It was WONDERFUL! This is turning out to be a great Birthday weekend so far!

I am embracing getting older now. I guess when we get the diagnosis of a life-threatening illness, no matter how early the stage, it wakes us up in a hurry. Life seems so much sweeter now. Just looking at my DH when he was asleep this morning made me choke up.

Thanks for sharing the journey no one wanted to go on with me. It makes it less frightening than it would have been without all of your advice, the laughs and the support! Kiss

Much love to you all and hoping your day is FABULOUS! xoxo

• gigil
    edited April 2013

April your dinner sounds wonderful. What a blessing to have such good friends and a DH you can feel that way about. Through all of this bc journey one learns to appreciate the beautiful moments when they come our way. Happy Birthday!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2013

April, now you've got me choking up at you choking up......how's that for sharing a journey?  Happy Birthday tomorrow.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

HI everyone I went to GS camp this weekend with my 10 yr old daughter.She wouldn't go w/o me and even though I really just wanted to rest this weekend I decided to go anyway.OMG...It was so cold Friday night .We had a tent unit and were sleeping in tents(kind of like a A-frame with canvas for walls and wood floors with bunks for beds)At least we had

Running water but really no electricity.Although the Et' s had lights in them.Don't know how many of you have used a latrene before but yucky...I didn't hike and just tried to take it as easy as I could.The leader and her friend(seasoned GS camp supervisor) let me park at the unit and got me a

sticker so this allowed me to drive everywhere in camp.I slept better last night.It wasn't nearly as cold .I was so glad to get home today and take a shower again.I wanted a nap too but probably won't get one.

Congrats Kate for getting out of the hospital

BUNKIE if you have been on steroids for that long you probably have weak bones.Have you ever had a bone density?

• justmejanis
    edited April 2013

April what a wonderful way to spend your birthday weekend!  How sweet of your friend to make you such a special meal.  It sounds divine.  Happy birthday to you, I am so glad you are enjoying the truly good things in life now!

Josie I had two sons and spent many summers on tent camping trips.  No electricity and lots of outhouse experience here!  I am too old to sleep on the ground now.  Like you I appreciated the hot shower when I got home so much.  I bet the weekend meant a lot to your daughter. 

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited April 2013

Josie- Yes I have had one last year. My hip was ok and my arm. My lower back was osteopena. We think the Cenestin HRT was helping it. As I come off that we are worried it will get worst.

• josie123
    edited April 2013

BUNKIE,

Sorry to hear about the Osteopenia.Glad they did a bone density on you though.Sorry didn't mean to be nosey but that because that's my job as a bone

Density Tech .I like to educate people on their bones and preventing further bone loss.I'll actually go over the report with the patient and explain to them where the bone loss is.Some people aren't even told their T scores or where the bone loss is .I feel it is important for my patients to know.

Justmejanis,

Yes it meant a lot to her and although pretty tired I'm glad I went to.Glad to know someone else can relate to the latrene story.

• josie123
    edited April 2013

April happy birthday !!Sounds like you had a delicious dinner and it also sounds like I missed out on the slumber party!!!Hope you saved me some cake balls!!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Hi y'all

Bye bye weekend...hello Monday!

Josie - fun with GS, but nice to be home shower&bed! You are in your final countdown...hang tough:)

GiGil - hope those UTI symptom calm down and your female doc is good

SAB - 10 miles...wow...maybe bike, but hike yikes! Go girl:)

Bunkie - pocket party for biopsy...how about chocolate chips cookies? Ummm

Kate - welcome home...hope we all made it back in your pockets...they must be sooo heavy after all the cake balls and wine...

Fingers and Toes crossed for Kate&Bunkie

April - Happy Happy Birthday! Luv BDays Princess for the Day! Enjoy your day with Prince Charming and your subjects...they all luv ya!

New2bc - you're still happy dancing:)) rads all done what will you do now? Ha lol

Janis - we need lo cal baking for our pocket party...scales are not happy:(( but so yummy!

Have a great night and wonderful week!

Lets rock rads... Got my laser saber ready:))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

It's not easy to keep up around here any more...so happy to see so many sisters here.
    April, it is finally your BD and you will be showered with wishes all day, I think!
    Kate, welcome home...so glad to hear your dr. is going with you to your appointment
    SAB, hey, I hiked 3 miles today and it felt like a marathon.  Ten miles is hugely long! 
    Well, I just finished my tax return but still have to finish the state. 
    We cleared my back yard this week end - tore down natural woods and now have nothing.  Just topsoil spread out.  Next is bushes, then maybe a fence and some grass.  (I don't like it this way at all)
    Gotta get some sleep...tomorrow is a long day for me.
    g'nite

Joan

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Joan and GiGiL, clearing the yard and organizing the house sound lots harder than hiking to me!  DH and I did get a personal best in total miles hiked in one weekend.  I don't even want to tell you...we're idiots and I am very sore tonight. Crawling off to bed very soon.

April, It's after midnight on the East Coast so Happy, Happy Birthday to you!

Bunkie, I guess it's time to start planning your pocket party soon.

Kate, Better get a van to go to the Dr. on Tues, there are quite a few of us riding along.

Today I downloaded a runner's training program app to train for my first 5k...it's called "Run, Zombies!"  Isn't that a hoot?  It has you do interval running to "escape" from the zombies that are chasing you.  I'm going to try it out tomorrow (it starts pretty gentle and works up in intensity over 8 weeks.)  

Goodnight sisters, may this week be kind to us all.