Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2013

Good job Lynn! The hardest one is over. I always felt so lonely and so little lying there for rads, but the feeling did ease off as the days wore on.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

Lynne, Everyone's experience is different and you feel what you feel.  I hope it gets easier every day (I started thinking of it as an "inconvenience" after a while) and that the time goes quickly for you.  We're here to keep you company.

Kate, I hope your long day wasn't too difficult, I couldn't see out of your pocket (I was so smushed down by all these other sisters.)  

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Kate, are we going for donuts yet?  I could use something sweet to get me through the rest of the day....Today is one treatment you never have to do again. 

Lynn, I like the big X...they will add up quickly.
    I know it is hard to believe, but you will get used to the routine.  I cried the first few days but I learned how to stay really still...almost mezmerized by my iPod music and my word games I played in my head.  I am a big pain in the neck when it comes to confinement...I had to know everything ahead of time - how they would accommodate me....and actually, they did.  And I got better at it. 

Back to work....Mondays are crazy days.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Hi Lynn,

I am so glad everything waqs ok for you today I have been thinking of you too

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Brookside, Sab and Joan,

Thanks you so much for your support. I know you and the rest of my wonderful breast cancer sisters will be thrilled to know that I am doing fine at my chemo treatment. I am getting chemo as I type this to you. There was a delay, so I won't be finished till 4 or 4:30 pt.

I am sitting in a chair that reclines( I feel great and don't want to recline)typing, and looking out the window. I have a nice view of a  sunny day with beautiful trees and a fountain. It is a 2 person room, but I have lucked out and I am alone. I have a very sweet nurse, Cheryl, and she understands that I don't want to discuss my diagnosis etc. They brought a cart of food around for lunch, and I had a nice fruit plate. Chemo treatment itself does not hurt, and I feel great. I am concerned about nausea Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Fri. as my doctor said I may be ill, but maybe I will luck out and it won't be too bad.

I am doing well today because of the support of my friends and family and also because of Cindy's magic princess warrior coat with all of you in the pockets with support. I can't thank you enough.

Hugs,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited April 2013

Kate, I can picture you getting your chemo, feeling calm and strong. I am so happy it's going well for you, and glad you were able to let us all know you are okay. I think my foot is wedged on SAB's head in your pocket, and I can't see out either. I hope when u finish it will not be too late for donuts.

Love and hits,

Susannah

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited April 2013

Kate - Love the photos. You are really pretty. I tried to post but can't. Maybe I will get it.

Thinking about you today. Team Kate!!!

• SusannahW
    edited April 2013

I meant love and hugs! I am a terrible typist.

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Suzannah,

Thank you so much for your support. You and my other sweet breast cancer sisters made this easy for me today with your support

Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Thank you so much for the compliments, and your support. I loved it when you said team Kate. Honestly I feel more special than Robin, even though she had all the celebrities, and Abc behind her. I have my friends, family, and all my wonderful bc sisiters. All my bc sisters give me much more support than celebrities or ABC employees

Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Cindy,

I have an hour left to my chemo, and I am doing well, because of your magic, princess warrior coat, and because of you and all my bc sisters.. I am thinking about you, and wondering if you finished your last treatment yet, and if your rads goodbye party started yet. Since I am doing so well I am going to loan you my magic princess coat so that you will have all the love and support. I am stuffed in one of your pockets and can't wait till you say you are done so I can congratulate you.

Hugs,

Kate

• LibraryLynn
    LibraryLynn Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2013

Brookside...really? Wow! I did feel them, but I was really certain that it was just my overly dramatic brain! Now I have goosebumps! I'm one of those highly sensitive people when it comes to just about everything (definitely more of a curse than a blessing), and I'm not sure it's good to feel the radiation. But, it's a relief to know that I am not over-feeling something that isn't there. 

How did rads go for you? Did you feel it every time? I'm working hard to concentrate on my chakras, but I spent more time worrying about holding my breath at the right times.

Thanks!

Lynn

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2013

Kate- Hoping this treatment is over or almost over as I look at the clock. 1 down and you did it! Hope you are feeling good enough to go for that donut and see your friend there, I would like a big glazed donut I am getting hungry in this nice silky pocket!

Cindy- You must be out celebrating, today is your BIG DAY!!! Congrats!

Lynn- I think if you think you felt it, you did. I thought at the start I did feel something but then I never did again. I was so scared that day laying there, the others I met at the center made my stronger and I miss seeing them. We email and do FB to keep in touch, all must worse off than me. My 1st and 2nd days I cried, then I met them and got excited to go. What a emotional rollercoaster! We will be right here each day with you. xo

Susannah- You wrote something on the previous page that now I started this post I cant see.. dang it. Well it touched my heart because I could relate to what you were saying, thank you!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi lemon,

I am still at my chemo treatment it went overtime today, because I had to run to the pharmacy several times, and other confusion. All is well I feel good, but I probably won't get home till 6. Too late for me to want to go to the donut shop. I am praying I won't be nauseous or exhaused tomorrow, so I can go there tomorrow. Can you wait for your donuts till then? They gave me an additional prescription for Emend anti nausea meds today. So Now I have 3 prescriptions for it. I just took 1 Emend to try and prevent nausea before it start. Then I will have 1 of those tomorrow, and 1 Wednesday. In the event that I do get nauseous I have 2 prescriptions to help with that.

xoxo,

Kate

Kate

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Hi y'all

Today is a good good day:). Jumped off the table, rang the bell, and Happy Danced all the way home...yippee:)

Wrote my rad team a song to Black Eye Peas I gotta feeling...they were LOL!

Feel very blessed my skin looks good (fingers&toes crossed). Maybe all those years cookin at Newport Beach paid off....baby bottom skin soon.

Clicking my heels and leavin my Happy Dancin shoes on for Kate, Lisa, and RunFree, and all my pocket buddies! Yes, Lemon and April too! Hope everyone's skin is becoming baby sweet.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and (((hugs)))

Cindy

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited April 2013

Kate- I can wait for that donut only if you are having one also! Glad you got the meds in case and I think its good you took one to be preventative. I hope you sleep well tonight and wake up with the sun shining tomorrow. Cross today off the calendar as you are moving forward to get this over with!!

Cindy- I left you red dancing shoes on the Spring Rads thread for you.. Congrats again, hope you have NO SEs in the coming days.

((HUGS))

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate

Congrats on your first chemo tx! Sounds like a wonderful tx center...with a nice view.

The magic princess warrior coat twirls so nice...just like a heavenly angel babe! Makes everything all better...

Sorry your day has been so long, but pockets are full and you are wrapped in love.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Cindy,

Congratulations! Yeah Yeah Yeah! You are finished. So glad your skin looks good. I love it that you wrote your rads team a song. That is so cool.I am so happy for you.

My chemo treatment ends in 15 minutes, and I will wear your magic coat home, and I will also borrow your happy dancing shoes. The real test is tomorrow for me. My doctor said I would feel ok on the chemo day, but that I might feet sick Tues, Wed, Thurs and Friday of this week. So, I so much hope my se will be minimal and I can happy dance tomorrow.

I am thrilled that you are happy dancing today.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited April 2013

Lemon, thanks for your kind note, it made me so pleased!

Kate, almost there! You did it! I've heard emend is really wonderful, and that the trick is to take it before you're nauseated.

Cindy!! How wonderiul to be done!! It does drag on, doesn't it?

Hoping for donuts for all tomorrow, I like mine with vanilla frosting.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Hey Lynn

You did good GF! The first few days are the hardest because you don't really know what to expect and mind is on overload...yeah it's serious laser tag and very mental...and doable. Just ask questions...I wanted to know how they could turn it off ASAP! Yes I wanted to know if I freaked they could turn it off before I ran away...but I forgot I needed the techs to get me off the table...so I found a way to lay my mind still and each day rads got better...maybe it was the body stickers, sharpie body artwork:)

You will rock rads (((hugs))). Glad we could ride in the front of the roller coaster today!

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Susannah,

I am so glad that you heard Emend is wonderful, and I am taking it before I am nauseated. If I feel good enough to go to the donut shop tomorrow I will buy donuts for all and yours will be with vanilla frosting. My favorite too.

Thanks so much for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2013

Yes, Lynn, I felt the first treatment and the first boost, nothing in between.  Both felt kind of prickly and like they were going to hurt, scared me a lot, but did not get worse.  I also felt heat both times.  The first day, my breast continued to get hotter all afternoon.  Apparently, this is an unusual, but not unheard of, reaction, something to do with blood vessels sensibly objecting to the rads.  I ascribe it to my princess-and-the-pea skin.  My RO recommended Advil to prevent/reduce inflammation and I took that before every treatment.  I don't know if it helped, but it sure made me feel I was doing something to protect my skin.  I used emu oil, by the way, and Jeans Cream, made sure I was awake in time to slather on the emu oil four hours before treatment, Jeans Cream right after, emu oil again at night.

• LibraryLynn
    LibraryLynn Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2013

Congrats to everyone who had momentous days today! I don't know how you all keep all of these posts straight! I'm trying to get all of the players straight yet. :) 

Brookside--I think you and I are Rads sisters. I've been sitting here thinking that my breast feels warm and seems to be getting warmer and redder on DAY 1!!! Gotta believe that is scaring the monkeys out of me. You have settled me down, again! I put on a lot of lotion, and now I have to keep the pug from licking my pj's to get at the lotion. I know, I know...she's odd. 

I have fibro, so I have a lot of anti-inflammatory meds in me all of the time. Finally, a plus to fibro. :)

• BUNKIE10
    edited April 2013

Cindy - HAPPY DANCE HAPPY DANCE!!! WOO HOO!!!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Kate I'm so glad everything is going ok for you Today.We knew you would be ok!!

Cindy congrats!!I'm so happy for you.

Lynn,Congrats for getting through the first day.Glad to hear you were ok.

I had more energy today it's a good thing because I had a lot of add on bone densities.They kept me busy!!

• BUNKIE10
    edited April 2013

I was going to go to Dunkin Donuts and get a baked donut. I can wait till tomorrow. Guess I will just have to eat another really big oatmeal rasin cookie.

Anybody watching the Voice this year?

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Josie and Bunkie,

Thanks so much for your support.

Bunkie I watch the Voice when I can. I like dancing with the stars, so I don't wartch it when they are on. Yes, Hopefully I will feel well enough to get you donuts tomorrow. If not tomorrow as soon as I can.

I am finally home. From the American cancer society volunteer, who drove me for my chemo treatment, to the nurses who treated me like a princess, to my taxi ride home, everyone was so nice to me. It was a long day I got there at 8:40 and left at 5:20. It won't ever go this long again, just some things that needed to be worked out. Next week and the week after I should only be there for two hours. Then the week of May 20, and May 27 I will be off My doctor gave me an extra week off, so I could have a good birthday schedule. My birthday is June 25. I will be having my next 5 hour infusion June 3, and then a 2 hour June 10, and a 2 hour june 17, and then I will have my birthday week off. YEAH.

I am praying I don't have se tomorrow, so I can go to the donut shop, and buy everyone donuts. Believe it or not I don't like donuts, but I love Kellty the young woman who works there, and she makes a great sandwich on a bagel with turkey, cheese and veggies, so sometimes I have that, and sometimes I just get coffee.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited April 2013

It so funny how we all jumped on the donut wagon, and you don't really care for,them kate! But I'm glad u have a good friend in the shop, that's more important. I love donuts, and will still be having one tomorrow if you are up to it. If not, I will wait till you are.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Sounds good Kate.Glad to hear you made it home ok.Order me a bagel sandwich too!!

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate

Glad you are home now and your first day went well. Curl up and enjoy DWTS & the Voice...I flip between...wish I could sing. I'm free for the donut run...mine whole wheat with honey, but there a great bagel shop just around the corner...blue berry cinnamon or spicy naco!

Our BDays are close 6/22 & 6/25 how fun...mine comes with a big Zero LOL! Always like BDays cause you're princess for the day...or more if you can work it. I work it :)). Us girlie girls do...right!

Pamper yourself (((squeeze))) yes we're all still in the pockets but some just have no pocket manners...SAB & Susan keep stepping on each other...

Cindy