Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am so sorry that you still have so many issues. You have been through so much with your Mom dying, and helping to take care of your Dad. I hope everything that is bothering you clears up fast.

Thank you for wishing me well. Yes the anti- nausea meds work wonders. So far I am blessed with minimal nausea, no low appetite, and absolutel positively no exhaustion. I pray I can say the same thing tomorrow.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

It used to be May 31 for white pants and white shoes, but I think now there are no rules at all.

I wish I was still able to wear black here. I hate warm weather, and Thurs, Fri, Sat, we are going to have an unusual heat wave, for early May. It will be 84 in Santa Monica, and 90 something in Los Angeles. OMG I can't stand anything here over 72, and warm weather is not good for chemo patients. I might stay home and freeze myself in air conditioning for 3 days, but no I need to get out every day so I will have to go to places with freezing cold air. In Santa Monica businesses are hesitant to turn on their air, because they want to save money. I guess I will just have to say poopity to them, and spend my money where they will blast the air conditioning

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Kate, come to Minnesota, they are telling us to expect rain mixed with snow for the next several days.  it is plenty cool here, to be sure.  We have had about 5 days of high sixties and low seventies, and now back to snow.  

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Gigil I would love to. So wish we could change places. Rain and snow would be much better for my chemo health than 84 in Santa Monica, and now they are saying 95 in Los angeles, and 99 in the valley. Thank God we are going to get a cool down next week, and thank God I live in Santa Monica and not the valley.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2013

Only have a moment before jumping in the shower for work - woke up late cause I had a hard time sleeping the night before (is that normal after rads? have been waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep)

Bunkie, hoping you get some relief soon and that they figure out what is really going on.

Kate, hoping for a nausea free day for you - right now we had a frost warning overnight here in CT but it should reach mid to high 60's later in the day. From 35 to 70 in one day...crazy CT weather.

Off for now but see all later. Feeling a little better but still not what I would call normal energy levels for me. Work is hard - concentration is terrible and I have a detail oriented job with lots of deadlines. Nervous I will miss one. I have been making tons of lists!

Thanks for all of your support. Since I am in uncharted territory around here with my one week, twice a day, dose dense rads, I had not a clue what to expect. Skin issues are minimal so far (YAY) but exhaustion is pretty bad but it could be the entire "cancer experience" finally crashing in on me on top of all the other issues in my life. Not much in the mood for regular life. Would like to cocoon in and hang out under the covers. Not like me.

Quitting smoking may be a part of this (Day 10 today!!) so I am chalking some of the concentration/exhaustion issues on that coupled with the whirlwind rads.

See you all later.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

April, and all the rest of you Wonder Women working through rads and the after exhaustion, I am so amazed at your strength.  I was too clobbered to do much more than watch TV and scan these boards.  April, sounds like you are having exactly the same reaction I had, and, like you, I attribute it to the whole cancer experience.  They don't warn you about the potential loss of ability to concentrate, do they?  Or that most peculiar lack of interest in real world stuff.  Finally, six weeks after rads, I'm pretty much back to normal, brain power and all.  Boy, what a journey!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

April, I was awfully tired after rads finished, at for 1month following rads , and it took a while before I felt ok again.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

SusannahW- You are right. It seems that before BC I would just take these changes like a normal part of aging and keep plugging along. Now everything I get seems overwhelming. This too shall pass I am sure.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

April - I was really exhausted after rads too. It was hard to figure out because I get fatigue from my other disease but the rads wiped me out. My boyfriend was here from Ca for my surgery and rads. So he left a week after I was done. I found myself too tired to get out of bed some days but I pushed myself. Took about 2 months for me before I went back to normal.

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited May 2013

April, I had fatigue hit me after rads finished, so I'm not at all surprised to hear you're exhausted after the intense course you just had. Is it possible to take a little bit of sick time from your job? I'm sure you've missed plenty with surgery etc., but just because you're not going in for treatments doesn't man you're completely "done" just yet.

Yay yay yay for you with quitting the butts!!! No looking back. I still have dreams occasionally where I will have a cigarette, and I wake up the next morning feeling so guilty, as if it really did happen! The good thing is in the dreams it's always disgusting.

Take good care of yourself and do what you need to do to completely heal. You've been through a lot!

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Gigil - Your weather is just like ours. We had snow last week. No sun for a week. Then yesterday it hit about 70. I had the air on for about an hour. My house is old so I have to keep the humidity down inside or it smells like an old house. I can smell the wood and the paints etc. Weird.

We had flooding two weeks ago and now it is rather dry. It rained yesterday for a few hours but did not cool things down. If you have snow today we will get it in two days.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Susannah the stomach issues are real and not sure how they are related to treatment exactly.  I have had heartburn issues for years, and took Prilosec for a very long time.  It stopped helping so my doctor prescribed Nexium.  That too stopped working.  I am now taking Protonix and still having a lot of problems.  I am seeing my primary this morning for a referral to a gastroenterologist so i can get scoped. 

I have been off Arimidex for 6 days, and have not had any improvement yet with the joint issues.  I know I have to give it more time.  If the joint pain persists then I will know it is not due to Arimidex, so likely I will go back on it.  In the meantime I just wait and watch. 

Kate I hope you continue to do well.  Not everyone experiences the same SE's at the same time.  I hope you are able to get through this with minimum SE's.

April fatigue is normal of course, but you can focus on recovery now.  You did great, and things will get better each day for you.

Bunkie!  I am so glad to see you here and posting frequently.  I hope everything gets better for you.  One day at a time, hoping you can get the house fixed without too many headaches.  I know it is a challenge.

I think of all you ladies, all the new gals who are still going through rads or just finishing up.  Don't beat yourself up for experiencing fatigue, some depression, whatever.  This is normal and it will get better.  If the depression persists, please talk to your doctor honestly about it.  There is no reason to suffer when help is available.

Big warm hugs to everyone! 

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Good Morning Kate

Hoping you awake refreshed and feeling good...no SEs. Put on your magic princess warrior coat and a do a soft waltz twirl...yes, the feel better pocket buddy luv is spinning around you:) Ahhh it's gonna be a good good day cause we're all here (((squeeze)))

I don't know about 2 days of eating donuts...but it's a nice place to hang out with you.

Sending happy feel better thoughts your way:)))

Cindy

Now Bunkie, Gigil, SAB, Josie, April, RunFree, Susannah, Joan, Janis, Brookside...who wants hump day cake balls? Gotta a fresh dozen ready:))

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

I am the cakeball queen!  I have made hundreds, probably thousands.  No matter how many I make they still taste heavenly.  Especially lemon.  My very favorite. 

In high school I worked for an ice cream store.  We made 36 varieties of sundaes.  Similiar to Baskin  Robbins, but it was a little independent Mom and Pop place.  We served sandwiches and soups too.  I worked there part time for years.  Never, in all those years, did I ever get sick of ice cream!  We had over 30 flavors and not a loser in the bunch.  I still love ice cream, just don't eat it often.  :)

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Janis, getting scoped is a good idea. I did it last week-everything was ok, am hoping yours will be too. Please pass on any tips from your GI. Believe it or not, I am going to try accupuncture for my stomach issues. Will let u know how it goes.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Susannah I just got home from the doctor.  She is going to refer me to a gastroenterologist and they will call and set up my appointment.  She agrees I have been on these meds far too long without getting enough relief.  She said I should elevate the bed 12" with cinderblocks!  I do use a lot of pillows and a dorm pollow, and she said as long as that works that is fine.  Bland diet.  No acidic foods like tomatoes, no spicy foods, no caffeine (OH NO, my morning coffee?).  She did say as long as it is morning only and try to limit it to 2 cups.  Eat frequent small meals, no food after 6 PM, no soda (I don't drink it so not an issue) no alcohol (also not a problem, rarely drink).  I am so glad your scope was normal!  Hoping for the same for me.  Will keep you posted.

Okay now I have another problem I would love opinions on.  I am So tired of feeling like I am falling apart, something else going on.  Okay for months I have had the joint issues.  My knees began to bother me, especially my left knee.  It never was bad enough for best rest, but it would get pretty sore at times.  I try to keep moving as I know that helps with joint pain.  We have two Golden Retrievers and we try to keep them moving as well.  Once it got warm enough we began walking them through the subdivision.  We are trying to take longer walks, so lately we started doubling back on the side streets.  We got it to about 1.5 miles daily.  Sunday we did the long version and my knee was bothering me but it was doable.  We got almost home and something just went wrong.  I did not twist it or anything, but it felt like something in my knee slipped.  Like when you shift gears on a bicycle and it slips?  I took it easy the rest of the day.  I had a routine follow up appointment scheduled with my orthopedic surgeon Monday.  It was a follow up for my neck injection.  He told me he wants to schedule another neck injection which is fine.  Regarding my knee, he is not sure.  He said that I could try bed rest for a few days.  Ice it, elevate it, etc and see if that helps.  He did say he could order an MRI if I preferred that.  There are so many things it could be.  The knee is a very complex joint.  I decided to try the rest before having expensive tests run.  I wrapped it and rested.  This morning SEARING pain woke me up early.  Awful.  I took a pain pill it barely helped.  I had to shower and get ready for my appointment and tried not to put much weight on it.  When I saw my primary it was not one of the things I went for.  I went for the stomach and for blood test results.  Of course hobbling in the nurse had to chart it and Kara, my NP, talked about it.  I did tell her my ortho was aware of it and he would handle it.  She told me not to wait too long.  She doesn't want anything to get worse.  Oh brother.  Now what to do?  I think my poor DH is about ready to lose it, seriously.  He can't deal with another medical issue with me for numerous reasons.  Okay that is not really fair, but his stress level is about off the Richter Scale.  Poor guy.  I assured him I am not trying to have these problems!  He knows that, obviously, but the stress is really taking a toll.  He wants to wait a few more days before I call the ortho for an MRI.  He definitely wants me to continue bed rest and see if it clears up.  I am willing to try.  This is just a mess.  Anybody here ever had knee issues?  I do have arthritis and orthe doc did say I could have strained it and made the arthritis act up. 

I know this is way off the topic of rads....but just had to see what you think.  For now I am resting.  Sigh........

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Janis, thanks for the tips! Will try.

I hear you about your husband's stress-mine so needs me to be well again.

Kate, you okay?

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Susannah I am so happy to share any tips I get.  Will keep you posted for sure.  I meant to tell you I love the idea of acupuncture.  In you case since they can't find a problem, hopefully the acupuncture will help.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.  When do you go for treatment? 

Kate thinking of you and hoping you are okay.

Sew, oh Sew, where are you?  Awfully quiet my friend.  You are probably out on a 50 miles hike deep in the woods.  Or working on one of your beautiful quilts.  You are so talented. 

Joan, I know you are busy but pop in when you can, please! 

Gigil you too!  It feels like our original group is shrinking.  I miss hearing from Elizabeth as well. 

I am terrible about mentioning everyone by name.  I think of you all, both the older members and all the new ones.  I am sorry we had to 'meet' under these circumstances, but it is so good getting to know all of you.  HUGS!

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

SusannahW - let me know about the acupuncture. I will be making a gastric appt as soon as I see my PCP next month. Not looking forward to more tests but a scope might just be what is needed.

JustmeJanis - I have done all those things and still have issues. Most of it started after GB surgery in 2011 but it seemed to get worst after rads. Darned that rads. Leave me alone!!!

KATE - ????? Hopefully you are napping or eating more donuts.

My gardener was out working in my yard today and yesterday. OMG we did nothing last year in the fall to get ready for spring. BC and rads took center stage. It needs everything. I am still cleaning out the garage and all over the yard where my dad left years of unused stuff. Old grills, non working lawnmowers and snow blowers, a rake that has to be 80 years old. Here is the best one. I threw away and old beat up leather purse when I moved here in 04 and it is in the garage. He took it out of the trash. The dump is going to love me.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Bunkie I had my gall bladder out in 1988.  The heartburn and reflux have gotten worse in the past ten years.  I know I have been on these meds far too long.  I don't know if rads made them worse, but ceretainly over the past couple of years the heartburn has gotten worse despite better meds.  The reflux has been prominent in  the last year or so.  I have changed so many eating habits as well, but nothing helps.  I just got a call from my primary and got the referral to the gastroenterologist.  The nurse who called today said they are forward all my records to them and they should call me within the next few days.  If I don't hear from them by Monday she said to go ahead and call them.  I  need to get an appoinntment set up with them ASAP.

Oh how bizarre about your dad and the way he saved things.  I can imagine the mess you have to clean up.  We are having a garage sale in a  couple of weeks.  I am trying to let go of a lot of things we simply no longer use.  I hope we have some success at least.  We have nothing major really but a lot of small items and tools that need to go.  Of course DH has a thousand tools and told me as soon as he sells something, then he will need  it.  I have no idea what he will actually part with tool wise.  I am steering clear of any garage items.   :)

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Janis, your knee situation sounds miserable. Try keeping weight off it, elevating it, alternate heat and icing. Do it for a few days and see if it improves. I can so relate to feeling like you are falling apart piece by piece. I am married to a doctor and my main goal in life is to stay away from doctors because they always find something wrong with you and prescribe a pill! I know I have to come back from that a little way, but It seems so true! I know I have a hiatal hernia. I wake up with a stomach ache every morning. I know why it is. My diet is like yours. I have to be so careful. I usually am, or I pay! So many of us are having stomach issues, thyroid issues, low vitamin D... Lots of common ground. We are supporting each other through more than bc, aren't we?

Bunkie, sorry for the snow coming your way. Cindy, yes please on the cake balls! Yum!

We are taking my 22 year old granddaughter out to a posh restaurant for her birthday tonight. I may have a sip of champagne. The only alcohol that agrees with me. Hope Kate is doing okay. I will check in later. GiGi

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi April,

I am so glad your skin issues are minimal. Sorry that you feel exhaustion.

Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I am letting you know how I feel today, before I answer any posts that relate to me. I woke up at 10:30 today. OMG that is late for me. Then I only stayed up for 30 minutes, and went back to sleep at 11, and finally woke up at 1:30. So,I guess I've had my first day of exhaustion, but thank God I am not nauseous. Guess where I am at right now? Yes, you guessed it the donut shop. I was feeling yucky in the house, and thought if I came here I would feel better, and I was right.

Hugs,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Janis and Cindy, sounds like a cake-off, or even better a cakeball cooperative, a mountain of cakeballs in any case.

Janis, Did you ask about wearing a light brace?  I get tweaky knees and keep these drugstore grade compression braces in the car and they really do help me.  Of course, my knee issues might be completely different.  No real bad pain, like yours.  

Bunkie, hang in there, you'll feel so clean and light and free when it's all cleared out!

• LibraryLynn
    LibraryLynn Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013

Hi all!

I hope those of you dealing with more medical issues find answers soon. It is so frustrating to go through the "We're not sure what it is" phase. I was there for a few years with my fibro, so I can really relate!

Kate...I hope you are feeling as good as possible today. I have been thinking of you.

I had day 3 today. It seems like I've been doing this for months already though. I am turning red already and am quite hot. I was referred to Lindi Skin, so I'm using one of their hydro-packs on the red and hot spot. I don't think it bodes well that I'm already so red. I'm feeling quite down in the dumps today too, for some reason. It's a bright sunny day here in the land where winter never leaves (snow predicted in the next couple of days), but I feel sad and apathetic and, well,  sad. I wish I could just find one emotion and stick with it. I'm sure it doesn't help that I quit birth control pills after 31 years about 4 weeks ago. This too shall pass...right?

Lynn

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, sleep is good! Glad you're okay.

Appointment tomorrow for accupuncture. This practitioner helped me with headaches, hope it works for gi issues.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2013

Hi everyone -

Very tired so will keep this brief, but need an answer if someone knows what is going on with me. Today, I seem to have hives/red spots under my left breast (the rads boob) and down on to my stomach and they seem to be getting worse as the day goes on. Also, I have a sore throat and a headache. Oye vey...I know I had different rads, but are any of these things normal? I read that a sore throat and trouble swallowing can be side effects from rads for breast cancer so that is covered but hives? WTH is up with that?

Janis, just a comment on your knee issue. The weakness and feeling of slipping that you had is not a good sign. I had this issue too. I need total knee replacement at some poing (doing the bc stuff right now so on the back burner) and I am in constant knee pain. Get your fanny to the ortho doc quick. I had arthroscopy to repair my medial menisucs which I tore in 2001 (surgery in 02) and it has deteriorated big time since then so now need it replaced. If you catch it early enough, it might be repaired but if not...fate may be dictating a new knee in your future.

Kate, glad you are out and about.

Bunkie, great to "see you" and you too Gigil and Gemini. Gonna rest now so will check back about the hives - on my Stomach????

Cindy, cake balls and rest sound good..lol Janis, your oven must need replacing like every two years..lol

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Lynn, it certainly will pass, but if you're sad, you're sad.  Maybe give it a few days and if it persists, mention it to your RO and see about dealing with it directly.  I quit the pill after my diagnosis too.  Acne, some weight gain that I think is related, and of course now I never quite know when I'll get my period--not so fun.  But not as rocky as I feared.

Janis, your knee problem sounds awful!  I hope it either goes away like magic or is relatively straightforward to diagnose and address.  Janis, Bunkie, Susannah, all with gastro issues, it's awful to hear about, and I don't know how you summon the patience to keep going with tests and new meds and new approaches, but I know you don't have a good alternative.  I wish you all strength and courage to keep pushing for happier guts.

Kate, I'm so glad you're getting the sleep your body needs, and hooray for no nausea!  You sure have a lot of BC sisters rooting for you!!! Thanks for having those donuts for me.  I love the idea of a cakeball cooperative too.  Did I miss a recipe somewhere on this forum for lemon cakeballs?

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Janis, this knee thing happened on Sunday?  You saw the ortho on Monday and have been lolling about (relatively speaking) for three more days, and the pain is getting worse?  Uh, oh.  I do understand, really, that your husband wants (but not as much as you do) for you not to have another health issue, but it seems likely that your new knee issue is quite separate from your slowly acquired, chronic, joint issues.  The good news is that this new thing will be easier to fix than all those well-established aches and pains.  If the knee is not better tomorrow, it would make me so happy if you were to schedule that MRI, or maybe go to the ER, where they will fit you right in after only two, or four, or seventeen, hours. 

As a fellow gastric sufferer, I'm thrilled that your endoscopy is all but scheduled. 

Kate, I am so happy you're out and about and doing donuts.  Yay!

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Janis - Did you notice that everything with even a tiny bit of fat goes right through you after GB surgery? Also I can not eat nuts, eggs, most fruit except apples and bananas, blueberries, anything with creme, mayo or sour creme . Gosh everything gives me loosie goosie as I call it or as we say now Poopity. I like that word.