Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• LibraryLynn
    LibraryLynn Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2013

Again, I want to thank you for your kind and generous information. I am so glad to hear about skin type and lack of hydration and everything else! I, too, RunFree, am a poor hydrator. I've tried to improve, knowing this was coming up, but I have not done well at all. 

Tomorrow morning at 11 is the big appointment. I think I'm ready to get this started, so that I can get it over with! I will think of you all who have gone before me! I will imagine the radiation to be brilliant white light comforting me, as well as all of you there supporting me.

Best,

Lynn

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2013

Lynn, I have olive skin and I found out having darker skin gives no advantage. Some of the fairer skinned ladies that went through rads the same time as I did definitely had fewer skin issues than I did. I found emu oil to be the biggest help to me. The worse pain I had was as a result of the tape! One of my techs tried to leave a circle of tape to mark a field during the burst. It began itching violently in the middle of the first night. I pulled it off, and it took a circle of skin with it. That little circle of missing skin hurt worse than anything else I encountered! Don't let them put any more tape on you, if you can avoid it. Good luck! GiGi

P.S. emu oil is amazing and can be ordered from Amazon.

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Kate loved your picture. You are a very pretty lady with lovely, soulful eyes. Your family is beautiful!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited April 2013

Dear Lynn, you'll do great! Just showing up is enough. While I agree hydrating is probably important, I hardly drank at all, did fine. I was afraid the very first time, but after that was ok. A couple of times I cried on the table. I'm glad I did it, glad it's in my past, as it will soon be in yours. Good luck!!

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Kate I will be sending you strength and peace tomorrow. My niece is going through chemo for bc right now. She feels pretty okay during and after her infusion. She goes in the second day for a shot of Neulasta to beef up her immune system. That usually makes her quite tired for a couple of days. She goes with it, and sleeps. She sets an alarm to have frequent small meals a day and she drinks water. That keeps her tummy happy. She has one session left, and now they are talking to her about radiation. She had a BMX, chemo, and now they are thinking of rads. She is beside herself with the idea of that. She thought she was almost done with treatment! I know her drugs are different than yours will be, but her coping strategies might help. She is only 29!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Hi Lemon.

Thank you for the compliments. Today was a nice relaxing day for me. I did some chores, so I could get them out of the way before chemo starts. I talked to family, and I treated myself for a nice early dinner. Thank you so much for your support. I appreciate it.

Love,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Lynn,

I will be in your pocket tomorrow supporting you too

Hugs,

Kate

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited April 2013

Kate, I loved seeing your photos! You and your family are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, and sending lots of cancer kick ass vibes!

I can't remember who asked, but SFO is San Francisco/ Oakland.

Hope everyone has a nice week!

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited April 2013

Kate, we're all with you!  You're going to be like my adorable Aunt Carole, who would only wear things that had enormous pockets, but you'll have all your BC sisters in yours!  It's just going to be a thing to do, and then it will be done.  Meanwhile I hope you can keep surrounding it with lots of fun happy experiences whenever possible, the way you've been doing.

Lynn, maybe people who don't normally hydrate wouldn't get as much from it during rads either?  That's my story and I'm sticking to it, so far anyway.  I do try to drink a couple of big glasses of water in the afternoon.  I have to time it carefully because I am one of those tiny-bladder people.  I don't want to be tormented by a need to go to the bathroom while driving to and from rads, 50 minutes each way--in fact, I haven't even been drinking coffee in the morning for that reason!  Quite the sacrifice!  (I now get an extra big cup of coffee when I get to work around 10:30.  I know it's a diuretic but it can't take away more fluid than it contributes, can it?)  And I have to avoid drinking within a few hours of when I go to bed.  So afternoon is my only hydration window and I don't pursue it with any special focus.  Good luck tomorrow! 

Five more days of rads!  This too shall pass!

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

Thank you for the lovely compliments.

I am so terribly sorry that your 29 year old niece has breast cancer, and had to do chemo. I am so sorry she has to do rads too. OMG so young to have to go through so much.

Thank you so much for telling me how she coped I am sure that is perfect for her. Eating small frequent meals will be good for me too. My doctor told me that for 3 to 4 days after the chemo treatment I will probably have low appetite, and feel exhausted.

I am different than your niece when it comes to sleeping during the day. If I feel exhausted it scares me, because i am such a fighter. So, when I feel exhausted I do everything in my power to stay up, and be as active as I can. I asked my doctor if I had to give in to sleep during the day, and he said no. Also sometimes I have insomia, so I never sleep during the day so I can sleep at night. I asked my doctor what the most important things i could do to help myself and he said: 1. Think positive 2. Eat a balanced diet, and force myself to eat whn I have low appetite and 3. exercise. The only exercise I get now is walking. Next week when I feel up to it I am going to join the YMCA. I was a member before, but I quit in 6 months, because I couldn't stay motivated. Now trying to kick cancer in the butt will motivate the heck out of me. I hope to go to the YMCA at least three times a week,do the treadmill, and the machines and lift weights. We have a very nice YMCA in Santa Monica

A couusin of mine sent me a very nice email today with support. She said " Give em hell" tomorrow. With the love and support of my family and friends, and with the love and support of my bc sisters I will be able to "Give em Hell"

Thank you for your support Gigil you have always been so nice to me.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Kate. I am with you! I don't sleep a lot. Wish I could. Walking is good. If you get time listen to an audio session by Wayne Dyer and Christiane Northrup, MD called Inside-Out Wellness, The Wisdom of Mind/Body Healing. Lots of amazing stories of healing in there. It really uplifted me. It can be gotten on Audible.com to download or also at Amazon. I have it going in my car a lot lately.

• gigil
    edited April 2013

RunFree home stretch! We will be there cheering for you!

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Lynn getting to the first day was hardest for me. After that, it all fell into place. It went much smoother than I imagined. I will be thinking about you tomorrow.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Kate,I hope you know we will all be in your pocket tomorrow!!I hope you enjoyed the weekend.

I've been pretty out of it this weekend.I'm like walking in my sleep fatigued.We had a big day yesterday with getting my hair cut and colored and shopping for a new couch.We found a great deal on one and actually closed the store.literally the last customer to leave.We had a nice meal at Red Robins before our last stop at Rothmans.

Does anyone else have problems with losing like handfuls of hair after Rads?Even my hair dresser noticed yesterday after my shampoo my hair how much came out in the towel.Is that normal?I have plenty to lose but that's not the point.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

Hi Josie,
    I didn't lose hair after rads, but I noticed my body hair did not grow much (especially in the target areas).  Have you started A.I. drugs?  These are said to cause hair thinning.  I have not caught much hair coming out; but I definitely notice my hair is slightly flatter, thinner on top.  I have thick hair so most wouldn't notice.

I am thinking of you who are finishing rads or just starting.  Keep a positive outlook and try not to stress unless there is a reason.  About the water...I drink a lot of water if I am nervous or confined.  I could never get through rads without wanting a bathroom break, but had to wait some times.  In retrospect, the body is going to use resources to compensate and heal. Therefore, replenishment is a good plan - water, foods that count, and rest. 

Susannah, when I was speaking about SFO, that is San Francisco. My son lives there, and I go every year.  The hotels are so expensive that I am renting an apartment instead. 

Kate, my dear friend, am in your pocket for the long run...what's your favorite comfort food?  I'll bring that! 
    Hugs,

Joan

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate - hope you had a fun weekend. Your magic princess warrior coat is hanging in your closet ... pockets are full...wear the (((hugs))) proudly confident warrior. You are so loved:)

Cindy

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2013

Joan I haven't started the Tamoxifen yet I'm going to wait until I talk to my MO on Wednesday.I know she'll wonder why I haven't filled it yet.I just have a few questions for her like what's the results of that latest panel of blood work they drew on me in March.Her nurse didn't sound too confident when I called in March.

I know I don't drink near enough on the weekends.I'm not sure why but just don't feel thirsty I guess.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Hi y'all

So ready for this week!

RunFree - 54321 Done! Enjoy the last few rides...it has been a life changing journey:)

Lynne - tomorrow is a beginning and an end! Breathe, ask questions, pamper yourself, arrive early so you are able to get in a calm zone and know it will pass and you will make it to the other side. We will be in your pocket :)

Josie - stress makes my hair release...rads did knock out a row or two of my underarm hair line...so less to shave hopefully sometime soon. Hope hair comes back soon:)

Joan - luv SFO...good time to go..zoo is really cool when lions are being feed it is amazing the roars mesmerize and so many great places to eat and shop. Have fun:)

Now headed to the kitchen to prepare treats for my rad good bye party...yes my girl took one for the team...all for a 1-der full Life!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Andrea,

Thank you so much for the compliments and your support. I so mich appreciate it.

Love,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

Thank you for telling me about the audio session I will try and find it.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Josie,

I am so sorry you have been feeling fatigued. I am so glad you got dolled up and had your hair done. I am also glad you got a good deal on a nice sofa, and went out for a nice dinner. You deserve good times.

I had a very nice weekend starting with the wonderful evening I had with my friend Tracy in malibu.

You and my other wonderful bc sisters being in my pocket will be wonderful for me. I so much appreciate your support.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Joan,

You are always here for me with your love and support, and I so much appreciate it. Believe it or not my favorite food is szechuan shrimp and hot n sour soup from PF Changs. A little expensive I know , but if you bring that I will adore it. I love spicy food, and my doctor said my appetite will be ok tomorrow, so I will pig out.

How is your ds doing in Chicago?

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Cindy,

Please forgive me. With all I have going on I forgot if tomorrow is your last day of rads. IsIf so I I am in your pocket, and I will bring the wine. Unfortunately I am not as creative as you, and don't know how to sew. Please email and tell us about your rads goodbye party. I am bringing my laptop tomorrow and would love to hear about it. Congrats!

You are so adorable. The magic princess warrior coat is in my closet now, and I will wear it tomorrow. The pockets will be so full with family, friends, and you, and all the other bc sisters. I know this coat will help me kick cancer in the butt.

How darling and creative of you to think of this magic princess warrior coat. I feel the love.

Your support is so wonderful.

xoxo,

Kate

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

RMCindy, You are at the finish line....go girl!  Have a great celebration.  I remember when you came on to another thread with your concerns....and here you are with a major milestone. 
    Kate, I'll bring the spicy shrimp, but no leftovers....won't smell good the next day! 
    I am glad you will not be feeling ill effects right away.  Maybe your SEs will be minimal.  Let's hope!
    I am also an Idol fan...I watch on DVR when I have to work....there is a thread and I am posting the link below - maybe when you are spending time on line, you can check it out and see if anyone agress with you....The thread also covers the Voice on M-Tu, I think. 
    I have enjoyed the A.I. season, but not sure who will win.  Lots of talent.

Gotta finish up here and get sleep....morning comes soon.
    See y'all in the pockets tomorrow!
    J

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=84&id=798237&page=48

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Joan,

You are right about leftovers, but I doubt there will be any, because I will pig out. Thank you for the American Idol thread. I am not that much of a voice fan, but I must be passe. My grandchildren like the voice, and they don't watch American Idol. It is 9:20 PM here, and I am relaxing with a glass of Chardonnay and watching The Apprentice. I will go to bed at 11 when the Apprentice is over. I have to be up at 6:30 am. Steven the volunterr from the American cancer society is picking me up at 8:15. I will have a blood draw at 9, and my treatment starts at 10, and ends at 3. I should be home no later than 4. If I am feeling ok I will leave chemo and go directly to my donut shop.

Cindy I am in your pocket tomorrow and will be thinking of you. How can I not be thinking of the wonderful lady who made my magic princess warrior coat. Congratulations! I wish I was creative and could of made you a magic princess warrior jacket or handbag or something. I am not creative with my hands, but I am creative mentally, and I will be sendining you billions of positive vibes.

Hugs,

Kate

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Kate good luck to you today. I know it will be a long day for you but hopefully it will get easier as you fall into the rhythm of the treatments.  Kate rest is very important during chemo, please don't fight that too hard.  When you rest your cells can regroup and heal easier.  This does not mean that you are 'giving in' to this cancer.  It means that you are listening to your body and getting enough rest to mend those little cells.  Listen to your body Kate.  Rest and sleep are part of normal recovery.  I have the cake balls all ready to pop in.  Good luck! 

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Janis,

You are so sweet. My ride will be here in an hour to take me to the treatment. I am ok about it, because of all of the love and support I have from family, friends, and wonderful bc sisters like you, that are friends too. With all this support everything has to go well. I can't wait to have your decilious cake balls once again.

Hugs,

Kate

• LibraryLynn
    LibraryLynn Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2013

Kate--I hope all went well for you today. I have been thinking about you.

Day 1 is now over for me, and I have 32 days left. I was given a calendar with a big black X on today. I thought of you all as I laid there, wondering what it would be like. Fortunately, my thoughts of you all and lots of healing white light got me to the other side. Because I am a big of a drama queen, I was sure I felt hot and was sure it hurt, but I know neither of those things happened. It's funny what your brain can do to you. I was close to tears, but then I heard the DON'T MOVE echoing in my head, so I figured I'd move too much if I cried. :)

There is no way I would have made it through today so successfully without the kind words and support of all of you.

Healing calming white light to each of you and to your loved ones,

Lynn

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2013

Thinking of you, Kate, with wishes for peace, comfort, strength, healing, and, of course, chardonnay!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2013

Lynn, you really did feel those things.  I did too.  When I mentioned them (at different time) to the techs, and the nurse, and the RO, I thought they'd tell me I'd imagined them, but they all confirmed that lots of us feel these things. Special superheroine powers?