Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

April, if you've got any strength left, let us know how this rays thing is doing....please. I got an allergic reaction to Prolia, which included a rash and it made a mess of my blood counts.....white and red both went way down and it took 2 months to feel at all better and I'm still a tiny bit anemic after 6 months. The rash only lasted about 10 days. SO....rashes aren't something to mess with. Your body is trying to fight all the radiation damage and having enough problems hence the sore throat....call the RO, he's going to be interested. So says Mother Hen.....

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

It.is.so.hot.

And I am cooking.

And while I stood stirring my veggie curry a nasty little mosquito came and bit me right near my sentinal node scar.  F#*%.  

OK, just complaining.

Hope everyone is making fun plans for the weekend.  And I hope that includes you Kate, feeling well enough to go out and about. My dd has SATs on Saturday morning, her second go at it (she got a good score the first time so she's not too stressed) and then she has a tutor on Sunday.  I will be hiking while she is slaving away at her schoolwork.  Bad mommy!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

The heat sucks, I agree. I am running air conditioning. Darn that mosquito!. I hope you dd does well on her sats, and I hope you have fun hiking.

I am going to go shopping over the weekend. I adore retail therapy, and go out with friends and yeah if no nausea or fatigue today, I bet  am fine Fri. Sat. and Sun.

Have a good weekend

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I am having trouble finding an attorney, because of age. April, I called the attorney your daughter recommended, and I asked a lady there why I was turned down, and she said age. Of course she told me that on the qt. There is more money in it if I was 40 or younger.She said I had a good case, but a lot of money needs to be laid out by the attorney's for medical records etc. I will call every attorney in LA if I have to. I am paying for his mistakes and he needs to pay too.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

April, I agree with Sew...especially because of your trial, it is important to let your RO and team know of your side effects.  Feel better!

Kate, sorry you are feeling a little down...but glad this day is almost behind you.
    Cold here this morning - only 38.
    I am an Idol watcher too; (think Angie has come around but I am not a fan). It could be close this year. 

More tomorrow when I can read back and catch up.
    Joan

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2013

Good Morning! Quick post before heading to the shower for work. We think we found the culprit. It was a delayed reaction to the wellbutrin prescribed to help me quit smoking. I stopped taking it (was taking 150mgXR 2 x a day) and already the rash has calmed down and my sore throat has too. It is rare (less than 3%) to experience a rash from this drug, and especially two and a half weeks in to taking it, but it is not that unheard of. It was the ONLY thing other than rads that was new so we looked to that first and sure enough, looks like this was the culprit.

See you all later when I get home from work if I have any energy left. The exhaustion is pretty intense at this point but getting through my work day at least.

Hugs to all!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

April, glad to hear u identified the source of the rash. Hope u have an easy day at work and can rest this weekend.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi April,

Sorry you are feeling exhaustion. I am glad you found out the cuase of the rash  and sore throat. I hope you have a nice peaceful weekend

hugs,

Kate

• SAB
    edited May 2013

April, What a relief to find the culprit so quickly.  Happy healing! 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

April I am so happy you got to the bottom of the rash problem.  Hopefully now it will calm down and you will start feeling better.  I am so proud of you for not smoking.  Keep it up.  I am a former smoker and know how hard it is.  You are doing great!  The fatigue will pass in time, promise.  Try to get some rest.

SAB love the little rant....I am like Kate, not a fan of heat at all.  Once it gets above 80 I am miserable.  Cooking in the summer is really tough too.  Nasty little mosquito looking for a bullseye!  :)  I hope your daughter does well on the SAT's.  I remember both my sons taking it.  Boy does time fly......

Kate I am really glad to hear you are not nauseated, I know how much you dreaded that.  You are doing great.  I am really happy for you.  It sounds like getting out and keeping busy is a great plan for you.  Whatever works.  Did I mention you and my youngest son share the same birthday?  He will be 34!

My knee is still giving me fits.  I can't bend it much or put weight on it.  Resting it is not helping.  I suppose I will have to call the orthopedic doctor on Monday.  Unless it gets better over the weekend.  YES!  I will definitely focus on that.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.  I am a horse racing fan so excited about the Derby tomorrow.  :)  Have a great safe fun weekend everyone.  For those with fatigue, REST!  The dust bunnies will keep.  I know it is hard but listen to your body and allow yourself the luxury of rest.  You have earned it! 

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2013

What a sad commentary that is Kate - being rejected because of age. So now people get to put a dollar value on your life based on your age? A friend of mine is going through kind of the same thing. The dr should have taken care of a medical issue he had over 10 years ago and because of his indifference/negligence he had to have 2 more surgeries. All could have been avoided because he complained to the dr on numerous occasions but the dr pretty much dismissed his concerns. The atty has all the medical info but has not said for sure she will take the case. Given what you are going through its not looking so good. My brother and I did the same thing when my mother died. We had all our medical ducks in a row but at the 11th hour the lawyers didnt not to pursue the case. Keep in mind they had already requested and received her records, etc so they spent some bucks investigating. We had a family rift of sorts at the time and another brother I think sabotaged the case. Good luck with yours. Diane

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Janis,

That is nice that your son and I share a birthday. I hope you enjoy the derby. Thanks so much for your support.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Diane,

Yes it is a sad commentary that malpractice attorney's choose their cases based on age.. I won a large malpractice suit many years ago.l My husband had bronchitis and he was choking. I took him to an emergency room and all they did was give him an antibiotic. He died 12 hours later. If they would have done an immediate tracheostomy he would have lived and been fine. He was 42 years old, and I had legal firms begging to have my case. I will not give up till I find an attorney. I told this doctor 18 months ago about my symptoms. Then over the course of the year I mentioned them to him over and over again. Then 4 months aga again I was at a mall unable to urinate. I called his office and got a covering doctor who told me I had a UTI and gave me an antibiotic. It was my doctor's responsibility to follow up after he got a report from the covering doctor, but he never did. I am stuck with Stage 4 bladder cancer, and back then it would have been stage 0 or stage 1.  could have had surgery and I would be fine. Now surgery and radiaiton are no longer options, I am getting chemo to live longer with as good of a quality of life as possible. I have to pay for his mistake, and I won't stop till he pays for it too

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

kate, I'm still confused.  Didn't you just have surgery 3 or 4 weeks ago?  I know you were in the hospital I thought it was for the bladder.  Was it something else?  Sounds like you feel quite well to be tackling all this anyway.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sew.

I had a small surgery for my bladder because I was bleedingand had blood clots. It was called a transural resection. It is not the same type of surgery that would permanently remove the tumor, and I can't have that surgery. I just spoke to another attorney 30 minutes ago, and he was much more promising.There isn't going to be a massive amount of money involved. Because I am not working the max I can get is $250000 with the attorney taking $100,000 I have an appointment with a new internist today. The attorney said I should nonchalantly  say would I have been better off if this was caught 18 months ago. He said he wouldn't need a signed paper from that doctor he could just subpoena him. I have tocall the attorney back Monday. He didn't say for sure whether he will take my case. I am feeling sort of ok today. I had a bad bout with constipation last night, but no nausea or fatigue YEAH. Sew, if I had one breath left I would tackle this. I have to pay, and it is totally unfair to me if my dr. doesn't pay too.

xoxo,

Kate

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense to me.  Sorry to question you at a time like this, but I was just "sew" confused Embarassed I'm glad you've found a new internist.  It's so important to trust your Dr.  Sorry to hear about the issues last night, but it's just great that you're not getting nausea or fatigue.  I had emmend (anti-nausea) for my surgery and for the first time in about 10 surgeries over the years I didn't get sick.  I totally react to the anesthetic.  Hurrah for emmend is all I can say.  I think it's a miracle drug and I'm glad it's working for you too.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi ew,

I agree with you about Emend. It is a blessing for me. Geez, 10 surgeries OMG you've had your share. Thanks again for your support.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

OMG it is 85 degrees here today, and I hate it. Is it cold in Minnesota today Gigil? Lets trade

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Kate - I am so sorry to hear the story about your husband. I say you go for it. I wanted to sue for my moms surgery when she went in normal and woke up with dementia but they said I had no proof.

Thinking about you today. I am glad you feel ok. It seems like you are really hanging in there. Tomorrow I am going to Dunkin Donuts again in your honor. Now that I stopped eating added sugars when I do my body really feels it. Same with caffeine. Once I stopped coffee trying some makes me feel strange. However donuts I refuse to give up. That and Oatmeal raisin cookies. Oh and also in the summer I eat carrot cake.

I live in Lansing Mi and it is not cool here today. Kind of warm about 75 with medium humidity. Sunny finally and no rain for several days. This is when I can handle the Midwest. It seems the older I get my internal heat control is worst. I can not handle really cold (below 30) and really hot (over 90). So where is the perfect place to live?

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

April - Thank Goodness you found the rash problem. I know you are exausted. You will be. Sleep when you can and eat well. Take naps. Drink a lot of water because rads will dehydrate you more than you can see.

We are all in your pocket.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Kate are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can cause constipation.

BTW it's raining and about 50°or is it colder in Stl.Yucky!!About 2 days ago it was in the 80's and I had the AC on reluctantly noW we have the heat on.

April I'm so glad they discovered what your allergic reaction was to.April's right don't forget to drink your water.

I had a tremendously stressful day at work and am glad it's Friday.I haven't been able to sleep very well since Rads ended.I was like that at the beginning of Rads. weird huh?

I'M also kind of concerned about starting the tamoxifen.Please chime in on your experiences of that med .

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

I AM DONE!!!  Last rads today--I got a certificate rolled up and a concert with kazoo and party blower by the staff, very cute.  I don't go back for a follow-up for 3 months!  My skin is redder than it was, itchy too, and I know it might get worse.  I'm also expecting more serious fatigue over the next couple of weeks (just in time for the end of the semester and final exams!).  But my treatment is done! Kate, my mom and I indulged in major retail therapy, or maybe it was retail celebration.  I got two lovely summer dresses that I can't figure out how I'll use, but my mom said I can wear them to the grocery store if I darn well please, and they were on clearance.  And we each got a couple of other things, and went out to lunch, and later to Starbuck's, and just had total fun.  My husband, mom, brother, and sisters got me a big bouquet of white roses, and a friend who has been through rads herself got me flowers too.  I'm feeling the love!

I second what Josie said about Tamoxifen.  I know there's a thread for that but it's daunting, because most people writing in seem to be having trouble.  How about those of you here who have taken it?  Or any experiences with Lupron/ovarian suppression? 

April, I'm so glad you figured out the problem.  I hope your fatigue lifts soon, and bravo on sticking to your no smoking pledge!  That's fantastic!  Kate, I'm so relieved for you that the chemo didn't wipe you out too much.  You're doing so well!

This thread has been such a support to me, and I really appreciate it.  Thanks to everyone for the supportive words--they are such good medicine.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Josie, I just want to jump in real quick on the Tamoxifen question.  Every person is different, but I did not have many SEs that I know about, other than a worsening of my existing arthritis.  That might have happened anyway. I eat healthily and exercise very consistently (I started a lifestyle change on the first day of rads) and I believe that probably helps. If you experience bad SEs you can stop taking the drug.  I'm sorry you had a stressful day Josie, and I hope that you'll be able to relax and unwind a little this weekend.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

RunFree,

You're done!  Weeeeeeeee!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

I am glad you will be going to dunkin donuts in my honor,  enjoy!

Today I went to the finest internist actually one of the finest doctors I have ever been to in my life. I nonchalantly asked him the questions the attorney wanted me to ask him, and he delivered. He said if this was caught 18 months ago it would only be stage 1 plus he said a few other things that may be helpful for my case. I have chemo Monday, so I will call the attorney Tuesday, and pray he will take my case.

Did I mention that I have been to East Lansing a few times. My ex son-in-law is from there, and I went there for my daughter's shower's etc.l

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

Thanks for asking I am staying very well hydrated. I think the chemo is causing constipation, but I finally got relief today YEAH! I am so jealous that you had 50 today. It was 87 here and I am still running the air conditioning.

Have a nice weekend,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Thank you SAB, that picture really captures how I feel!!!!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

RunFree congrats!!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Runfree,

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Mazel Tov! OMG I am so happy for you. This is such good news that you are done. I am thrilled that you enjoyed a retail celebration. How fun ! Who cares if you don't need the dresses just wear them and enjoy. So glad you had fun and beautiful flowers from your family too. It makes me so happy to hear your joy.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Josie I am so sorry you had a stressful day too. I hope you have a nice weekend to make up for it.

xoxo,

kate