Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Suzannah, I am so sorry you are experiencing anxiety too

Gigil, I am so sorry that your dd has a handicaped child. OMG you have been through so much, and take the time to post for me. You've had enough. I pray your allergies, anxiety, and any other issues disappear.

Hugs,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Oh my goodness.  I come back from my hike to find a bazillion posts.  Well, I guess the best thing is to send hugs out to all who need them...step right up...I don't want to miss anyone!

Kate, I hope this attorney works out for you.  You sound young enough to give that docotr hell!

April, I hope you have a meaningful Easter, and that next year you can take up where you left off with hosting.  

Sew, Brookside's idea for PT is really a good one, I think.  They can do wonders with scar tissue, and it might make second images a thing of the past.  I'm delighted that you passed with flying colors!

Joan, sorry, brown thumb here.  No advice except to find a good gardener! Have fun with DD and family.  Are there little kids?

Janis, No such thing as "just a dog."  My dogs take my stress and hand back love.  Too sappy?  

Gigi-Try not to be stressed.  Some things are in our control and some things are not.  We can only make one decision at a time, with the information we have at that moment, yes? So, if you buy that, then the more info you have (like diagnostic tests) the better.  Plus, the peace of mind is priceless.

Dropped dd at her SAT test this morning and hiked 12.9 miles of beautiful forest land nearby.  It was about 7:45 in the morning so we were all alone in the forest--it was amazing! Sore but happy. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Sab...you're definitely my new hero...12.9 miles? In 1 day....takes me about a week to do that. You go girl

Gigil and Susannah, I know what both of you mean about being at loose ends. I think it's pretty common. And I also don't tell my family or friends my scares as they too think I'm "done". Sometimes I just want to tell them otherwise, but I refrain. Gigil, I have found that volunteering helps if you can find a cause, or problem you can get behind. I help give food from a pantry to those who need it once a month and also work at a local craft resale shop that is volunteer run and supports the senior center here in town. I'm sure you'll find something. But...you do truly need to get that mammo scan scheduled. It is adding to your anxiety not having it done. I didn't think I was that worried about mine, but boy was I emotional last night. Guess it had been weighing on my mind. That or the scone I treated myself to messed with my digestion, lol

Janis, I'm sure sorry to hear about your grand dog. Prayers for him from here. (No Sab, it wasn't too sappy)

April, are you getting any rest? Sleeplessness after rads is pretty common I think, it's your body fighting back in overtime mode and your brain worrying about all of it...it will get better....

Brookside and Sab, yes, good idea. I've just started PT again for some new cording under my arm so I'll have her work on that little piece so scaring also. Actually, I've had that adhesion area for my prior 2 mammos also, but this place just got a very fancy new machine and I think they can see more. I am aware of it now so I can caution the tech in advance next time too, I find that helps also.

Run Free, did you wear a new dress today or just lounge around relishing the finish of rads?

Kate, did you fit your retail therapy in today?

Have a good weekend everyone

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

I am so glad you enjoyed your hike and day.

I will fight with everything I've got to give this doctor hell. I just found out a good attorney can get a settlement in two years. My medical oncologist said I will make at least two years, and I want my awful internist (who refused to listen to my symptoms) to pay for a trip to vegas, retail therapy, more inheritance for my children etc. etc. etc. He can bet on a fight. I won't give up.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sew,

I didn't do retail therapy, but I did do girlie-girl stuff, and went to my donut shop. to see my friend Kelly. When I was in Chicago my daughter-in-law gave me a beautiful bottle of blue Essie polish. Today I went to my sail salon and got my toes and fingers done in blue. So much fun. Then I went to see my friend Kelly at the donut shop. Kelly knows that I will be alone for mothers day, because my kids can't come here, and I can't go there, so she invited me to have lunch with her family that day. The donut shop closes at 2, and that is when her luncheon begins, and I will be there. So sweet of her to ask me, and she is a great cook. She has made me crab soup to die for.

I hope you had a nice day, and have a fabulous weekend.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

GiGil, I recently went back to work part time, and it has been wonderful, a real lifesaver.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Kate, I love it that you got that great invite to Mother's Day lunch!  MostlySew, thanks for the reassurance about Arimidex--that helps a lot.  It was a bit cool today to wear one of my new dresses but I'll debut them soon.  Great news about your mammo!!!  April, thanks for the heads-up about fatigue, and sorry about yours.  I hope it sets you free soon! Janis, so sorry about your son's dog--I hope Will is out of surgery by now and with a good prognosis.  Gigi, there is too much on your plate!  I'm so sorry you don't really have enough support there for recurrence fears, among other things.  Sending strong positive vibes to your niece too. 

Kate, Joan, MostlySew, BrooksideVT, April, Susannah, and Gigi, thank you so much for the warm congrats and pix and cheers!  Brookside, I haven't talked to an MO properly because I had to ditch MO #1, got a second opinion/consult from MO #2, and will start soon with MO #3.  But due to my micromet, my RO and MO #2 both seem certain I should try ovarian suppression if I tolerate Tamoxifen well, so I'm prepping my head for that.  My worst two fears are about sexual SE's, which I'm hoping would be treatable, and joint and bone pain from Tamoxifen, because that could make it painful to run.  April, you're right to pick up on my username.  I'm not the world's MOST avid runner, but it's really important to me to be able to run at least some.  I'd love to plan a healing race, complete with a training calendar, IF the Tamox will let me, and I also know exercise is good for joint/bone pain.  It's bugging me not being able to make plans until I know what level of exercise I'll feel up to.  So I'm teetering between being edgy about that and trying to stay positive & mellow until I know how hormonal therapy affects ME.  This suspense will be maybe 3 weeks for Tamox (during which I can't firmly plan to run either, thanks to expected post-rads fatigue) and a couple of months more for ovarian suppression.  I am impatient to go back to my planning scheming ways, which it seems are not very compatible with cancer.

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Run Free, bummer that you can't plan to do the exercise you want to do. Any chance you could run just a little bit without adverse effects? Or is that worse than not running at all? You might have to do it every 3rd day or something, but I'd sure check with MO#3 to see if there isn't something you could do.....exercise is so good for us.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes for Will.  He survived the surgery and now it remains to be seen if the tumor was malignant or not.  If so they will be doing chemo.  They have the means and there is nothing they wouldn't do for this boy.  I think the prognosis is pretty good for him.

Gigi I know how you feel about not getting as lot of support.  For health reasons we had to move from Cheyenne Wyoming out here near Boise.  All of the kids lived within 150 miles of us.  We were at a good location and were able to see the kids and our grandson a lot.  Now we are 1,000 miles away.  I was heartbroken to have nobody here when I went through cancer treatments.  I have one sister, an RN, she lives in the Denver area.  We talked a lot but it was not the same as her being close.  I left our dear friends behind.  It was tough for sure and often it still is.  I really miss my family and friends.  I understand how isolated you can feel sometimes.  It hurts.

SAB never too sappy.  My dogs are such a huge part of my life.  I can't imagine not having them.  Your hike topday was amazing!  Good job woman!

Thanks Sew!

RunFree, thanks for putting Will in your thoughts.  Out of surgery and doing well so far.

Thanks to everyone who heard a worried voice and helped me get through my fear today!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Janis, so glad Will made it through his surgery.  I will pray it is B9 and that he won't have to have chemo.  It sounds like he has a lot of love.  That will help him so much.  Please keep us posted about him.

You definitely do know how I am feeling.  My husband works several days a week away from home, so I spend a lot of time alone.  It is not healthy, I know.  Maybe Sew's idea about doing volunteer work is a good one for me.  If not that, then a part time job.  My husband always discourages me from being tied to a schedule.  Consequently, I spend my time waiting alone for him to come home.  Not good.  He is just going to have to get used to the idea that I might be away from home, when he happens to be here.  My life counts too, right?   Susannah, no matter how much education I have, I always dream of working in a bookstore - or owning a small bookstore that serves tea.  As a kid I used to go to the library a couple of times a week.  I love books.  

Kate the blue nail polish sounds like fun.  Your friend at the donut shop sounds like a very nice person.  I am glad she invited you for mother's day.  

I got the phone call the Friday right before Mother's Day in 2011 that told me I had bc.  I think I will wait until after Mother's Day this year tp make my follow up mammo appointment.  I do need to get it done, and off my mind.  After that, all I will have left is a colonoscopy.  I have been putting that off too.  Time to just get it done, I guess!

SAB you continue to inspire me with your hiking.  I love to hike.  I have to find a hiking group to join.  I don't like to be alone in the nice hiking areas around here alone.  My husband doesn't consider walking any type of exercise.  He was an athlete in high school and college and he thinks if you aren't sweating and miserable, you are working out properly.  Wish he were willing to hike with me.  He has a few times, but I would like to do it more.

Run thanks for the positive vibes for my niece.  I can't wait to celebrate at a distance her last chemo infusion.  Now she says they are bringing up radiation at this point!  Has anyone heard of that?  Chemo and then radiation?  She had one affected sentinel lymph node, but it was encapsulated.  She is a bit upset about them bringing it up at this point.

Good night dear friends.  Hope you all have a good night's sleep - especially you April.  You need your rest.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah so glad going back to work has helped you.

Runfree I can't wait for the day that I hear about you wearing your new dress, and when you'll be back on track with your exercise.

Janis, I am so glad that your dog made it through surgery, and that he has a good prognosis

Gigil what helps me from feeling all alone is forcing myself to go out every day, and talking to someone about their problems. Most days I come home at 6 or 7, because the nights are the worst for me. Then I answer emails, make calls etc which help me from feeling alone. My children and grandchildren are thousands of miles away. but I don't feel that now. My home is saturated with their photos and I think about them constantly, email constantly etc. If I feel a twinge of discomfort from chemo or loneliness I say out loud Riley and Roxie, and the photo of my granddaughter Riley hugging her dog comes to mind, and I am comforted. Everyone is different, of course. I just wanted to give you an idea of how I deal with some of my loneliness.
    You do have an awful lot on your plate, and I hope you find peace asap.

Thank's Suzannah, Runfree, Janis and Gigil for your support

Hugs,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

RUNFREE - Congrats on finishing!!! The worst is behind you now. Just try not to get upset if your energy does not bounce right back. I am 4 mos post rads and still struggling. Takes time.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

justmejanis -  this thread moves fast but I must have missed something about Will. I will go back and read more. Hopefully everything will be ok.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Janis,I'm so glad Will made it through the surgery!

Hope that tumor is benign and maybe he won't even have to have chemo.It sounds like he's getting the best of care.He's a lucky dog to have a family that loves him so much.

Gigil I know how you feel.I felt the same when I wasn't working or being a stay at home mom.I'm glad I'm working now if nothing else just to keep my mind of everything else.You need to find something outside of the home to do for yourself.I struggled with anxiety for years and know what it feels like.I'll pray for you.

Kate, I'm happy for you that you won't be spending mothers day alone.How sweet of your friend to invite you.

RunFree are you taking Tamoxifen yet?I haven't started mine yet.I guess I just keep putting it off.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thank you Josie. Being alone on Mothers day woould have been difficult. Now I will have fun. I think I will stop off somewhere and buy Kelly some beautiful flowers that day,

I had the roughest night of all last night. I am not haveing chemo side effects I am having trouble with cancer side effects. My nausea, low appetitie, and fatigue have been minimal. I am having trouble with my malignant abdominal lymph node pressing on my leg, and causing it to be so swollen. I am also having a terrible time with constipation, and having my stomach so hard and distended. Last night I was in the worse pain that I have ever been in my life. My doctor had me try lactulose for constipation, and OMG I had sevevere cramps and gas pains for 4 hours. It was so bad I actually cried. It happened from 10 PM till 2 am. Now I just woke up and feel a little better. All that pain and suffering did not even produce a bowel movement. I am wondering what's going on chemo was supposed to relieve my cancer symptoms instead they seem worse. I have emailed my medical oncologist to death recently. I decided that no matter what I wouldn't email him on Saturday or Sunday, so I will have to wait till Monday to find out. Last night while I was in pain and couldn't sleep I could not stop thinking about how good and thorough my new internist is and how ny old internist has caused my cancer to progress so far. That is the hardest part of this to take,  For over one year I told him over and over again about symptoms he wouldn't take seriously and now I have to suffer because of his lack of medical experience and his tunnel vision. Any other doctor I would have seen would have ordered a test while he refused. My mother always said God has a date and time for you to die all set. I guess that is what happened in my case, God set the time, and if I would have seen another doctor I could have lived 20 more years., but that wasn't God's plan

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Gigil...how about volunteering at the library?  I've got a friend who shelves books once a week.  They love having volunteers.  It doesn't have to be a set schedule...it can be flexible.  Hubby will get used to the idea that you have a life too if he, perhaps, pops in for lunch on a "library" day.  I know you'll find something.  Oh, and the colonoscopy?  Piece of cake.  Just be sure to select the "half lite" liquid.  It's half as much and easy to get down....just get the lemon kind.  I put mine off about 10 years, and then found it was no problem.  So, good luck with that one too....

Kate, looks like you've got a good plan for handling loneliness.... way to go! I'm liking the idea of blue finger nails too.  I have a friend who dies her hair every couple of months colors like purple and maroon and pink.  she's in her 60's.  Works for her though....

Sab, were you able to make it out of bed this morning?  Was yesterday just a warm up hike, and today will be longer?  You go girl.  I cleaned the bath tub this morning, does that count?  Felt like walking up hill......Wink

• josie123
    edited May 2013

OH Kate,I'm sorry how your feeling.I hope you get some relief soon.I hope you don't have a intestinal blockage.Could something be pressing on the bowel?

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Kate, our posts crossed in the mail, I'm so sorry to hear about your very rough night.  My only suggestion would be prunes.  10 should do it... or even just 5 or 6 if you don' t eat them often.  Have you been walking at all?  Sometimes a gentle walk will help with constipation too, although I know you're is linked to the chemo I'm hoping some down to earth remedies will help.  good luck.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

I don't know if I have an intestinal blockage. I am hoping to find out when I see my MO Friday.

Thanks for your support

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sew, I am not a big prune fan, but I did go out and buy prune juice. Do you think that will be as helpful as prunes? Even though my leg is swollen I have been forcing myself to walk on it. I am staying well hydrated to. I just bought the prune juice yesterday, and I am praying it will help.

Thanks so much for your support

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate, yes I think the prune juice will work also.  My Mom drinks it daily, and it's been helping her for most of her 94 years!  I think she drinks a small glass.  Like a cocktail glass 1/2 full, perhaps 6 oz.  In your case, I'd have that, then more in an hour or so until it works.  I think you wouldn't mind if it was "a bit too much" right now. Hope it helps

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Kate, I am just so upset that you are having so much pain, and so many medical issues due to this doctor.  There are many studies (including the New England Journal of Medicine) that demonstrate how women are treated differently in the care of their health.  Women are more likely than men to have their symptoms treated as "psychological" and most research studies are based on male anatomy. Women are less likely to be approved for transplantation, even with the same symptoms as a male counterpart. Women are more likely to have pain, but less able to find treatment. On and on it goes, and one article (feminist.org) posits that it is due to the fact that the majority of health care providers are still male.  

That's why I believe we all, as women, need to take charge of our own care.  Scheduling mammos, taking (or not taking) drugs with good information and a plan, diet, exercise, etc.  

Sorry if I'm sounding militant.  I don't think we can prevent all bad things from happening to ourselves, but I believe the medical system sometimes obstructs our best efforts.

Sew, DH and I are both limping around this morning!  We're going to go and have a light workout today at the UC Santa Cruz nature preserve while my poor DD goes off to her Chem tutor. She's working so hard, but it's an uphill battle.  (DD the younger was only recently diagnosed on the spectrum...11th grade!)  Don't even get me started on that!

Have a nice day everyone.  Thank you for letting me vent.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

So well spoken Sab, and I 100% agree. I definitely believe that my doctor thought my symptoms were psychological. Afer explaining the symptoms to him at least 10 times he would appease me by saying your fine you had a negative colonoscopy.What I fail to understand is why this doctor was so narrow minded thinking the only cancer I could have is colon cancer. Why not rule out a ct scan to see if something showed up? Why not send me to a urologist to see what their opinion would be. Instead I had to find the doctor with tunnel vision. I bet you are right if I were a man he would have run tests. I am so proud of your hiking. It takes motivation, and never giving up, and you do just that. I shouldn't really say I am proud of your hiking what I should say is that I am so proud of you,.

Hugs,

kate

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Kate, i am so worried about you.  I commend your bravery in not emailing you MO, but, you know, this is the sort of thing he really does want to hear.  Perhaps he is even on call this weekend.  Also, if you are having agonizing cramps but no progerss, and think it might be due to a blockage, I think it might be wise to lay off the prune juice and maybe consider approaching the situation from the other end?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Brookside thank you for the good advice. I am going to email my mo asap.

Thanks for your support

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

SAB I agree that we have to stand up for ourselves.  This knee thing for an example.  It is useless, I can't bear any  weight on it and the pain is terrible.  I don't know what is wrong, but my doctor said to rest as much as possible and elevate, brace and ice it.  For 4 weeks!  Not going to happen.  I see him Tuesday for my neck injection.  I have to be at the surgical center at noon so hope I can talk to him.  I am going to ask him for an MRI.  I don't see any point in treating it conservatively without knowing what is wrong.  This is nuts.  I am really happy about your long hikes, that is amazing.  It reminds me of my son Adam and his wife Jen.  They live in the mountains west of Denver and hike so much.  Their dogs are very physically fit.

Josie thanks so much for putting Will in your thoughts.  He does have amazing parents, my son and DIL are absolutely awesome.

Kate i know this is a struggle right now.  The pain from the leg swelling is miserable and it sounds like you had a rough night with the constipation.  If the prune juice doesn't help you may have to try the prunes.  I am really sorry you had such severe pain last night.  I really think it is okay to contact your doctor on a weekend if you are in this much pain.  You should not have to suffer like that.  Maybe they can suggest something that will help.  I sure hope so.  Take care and keep us posted.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Oh, Janis!!!  It sounds like it's getting even worse!  Isn't this the same doctor who said to give it a couple of days and then he'll set up the MRI if it isn't all better?  Does this guy know you can't put weight on it?  And that you are in serious pain?  Tuesday just seems so far away.  Are you sure you wnat to wait that long?

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, I agree with everyone who says to contact your doctor, just so you can get some relief. I don't think you have an intestinal blockage, which is usually accompanied by vomiting. Prune juice should help, and drink lots of fluids. Your doctor will know what

to do.

I hate that you have to go through this, but I feel certain it will get resolved and you will feel better.

• josie123
    edited May 2013

SAb, you must be so proud proud of your daughter.She must have really worked hard to get where she is.My son Andy is Autisic and he is high functioning.I dreaded him going to high school because I thought he would be bullied and have a hard time fitting in.The good thing about him is that he doesn't seem to care if people stare or say things.He just happily goes about talking to himself as if he's the only one in the universe.He made the Honor Roll this year as a freshman and he is in the same class as his peers.We have always mainstream him since kindergarten because he seems to do ok and deserves to be treated like ever one else.Don't get me wrong he has always had an aid and a IEP in place.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Josie, I have a son with autism. He is not high functioning, but has speech, can read a bit, and work a computer. He is25now, and moved into a group home 2years ago, but still comes home most weekends. He continues to grow and learn, and is a happy guy. My DH dd and I adore him.