Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Kate, I'm worried for you too!  Even if your own doc is not on call, any doc should listen to your symptoms and tell you what to do or whether you need to come in sooner than tomorrow.  Was constipation one of the symptoms they said might come with this chemo?  It seems late since you were told the worst days would be over by Friday.  I was constipated in my first pregnancy, "no exit" for 8 days, and it was miserable.  I hope you get some relief and some answers ASAP.

Janis, ditto for you on the knee.  Sounds like the situation demands faster action.  This is too long to be in such pain!  I hope you can get your MRI pronto.  When will you learn about the nature of Will's tumor?

Josie, I haven't started Tamoxifen yet because I haven't seen my new MO yet.  The RO is going to make an appointment and it might be standard to wait a couple of weeks post-rads, so I'd guess it will be a few weeks before I start.  I'm going to call the RO's office tomorrow and request a window of dates so my husband can go with me, as he has a conference coming up.  And then I might wait to start the med until after June 1 because that's the date I'm thinking of having my party for all the people who helped me.  I don't want to be worrying about unfamiliar side effects as I'm trying to hole out my disastrously untidy house and cook for a crowd.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Run Free thanks for clearing that up I wasn't sure if you said you had started or not.Hope you like you new MO.

Janis I'm glad you see the Doc tues take care of that knee.

Susannah I'm sorry to hear that your son is Autistic. I know how much I love my son and any autistic or disabled child has a special place in my heart.We had a child after Andy and many of our family worried if she would be Autistic.We knew it was God's will no matter how she would be and we would love her just as much.By the way Claire was just fine no disabilities.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

RunFree and Josie and Brookside......my doctor called this the conservative approach and thought it best before running expensive tests.  I did talk to his NP on Friday and she said the same thing, rest it brace it elevate it and ice it. I can straighjten it if need be but is sure smarts.  I realize all the rest won't hurt, but I do want an MRI anyway.  Maybe it will find nothing which would be great, but I have to know.  I have no idea how long before they would schedule it.  I just don't feeling like waiting forever. 

I am hoping Adam will call today and bring me up to date on his recovery and the tumor.  I called earlier and got his voicemail.  Hopefully he will have some good news soon.

Kate I sure hope that your pain is better and you can get some relief.  I am so sorry that you are going through this.  I hope you can keep the SE's to a minimum.  I know how hard you are fight this.  Just remember you are the Warrier here and no cancer can stand up to you!  Hugs to you.  Take care!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Jan is so sorry you are still experiencing aggravation with yoiur knees.

I just woke up from a nap and I am still having cramps and pain. I took Brookside's advice and emailed my MO at 10 :30 this morning, but I haven't heard back yet. I should hear from him this evening. In the mean time I need to shower and wash my hair. Then I am going to see if I feel ok enough to go out. Right now I don't. I am not going to eat anything because it makes it worse. Thanks so much for caring Janis. I know you are blogged down with a load of issues, so it is so nice of you to post for me

Hugs,

Kate 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah thanks for your support. I am waiting to hear from my doctor, but on A sunday I may not hear from him till 10 pm

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

Kate, do you have an on-call number for your doctor's office?  You could of course call or go to the ER too.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Josie, I am so proud of your son making the honor roll this year. God bless him

Suzannah so glad that your son is a happy guy showered in love from you your hubby and daugher.

Geez yoiu really don't know what problems are until you read someone elses.

Having an ill child is the worst. my problems seem like nothing after I hear about both of yours.

I pray that both of your children can do as well as expected, and that you continue to have the strength you need to help them. God bless both of you for the great job you are doing as parents.

That will all of your problems you both still take the time to post for me brings tears to my eyes of how cappasionate you are, and I thank you so much

Hugs,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

{{{Kate}}} I hope the doc gets back to you soon with some good ideas.

Janis, I am so afraid of medical expenses.  We have lousy insurance with a high deductible, but sometimes you just have to go and take care of business.  If you ice and elevate for 4 weeks and it does not help, you've wasted 4 weeks towards fixing the knee.  If you get an MRI and it's bad, then you can have intervention.  If it's good it will motivate you to follow the rest and recover course of action.  Meanwhile maybe they can help you immobilize it or reduce the pain in some way.  Doctors are so cavalier about asking us to spend 4 weeks just to see. If you have decent insurance than imaging seems to make the most sense. IMO.

Josie and Susannah, where to even begin?  The school forced us to wait until dd crashed before allowing a 504.   Just in time for college apps, she loses her self-esteem (and gpa) entirely.  Josie, it's great that you have an aide, that will definitely smooth the way as will starting early.  Susannah, it's wonderful that you have found the right place to foster growth and a close relationship with your boy.  Being a mom to a spectrum child is exhausting sometimes.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Thank you Kate that's very sweet of you.Andy is a very happy kid and does very well by himself.He lets himself in after school and is by himself until I get home.It's when he was younger that he was more of a challenge.Kids on the spectrum sometimes run away a lot.And we had to device all kinds of different latches or locks to keep him from going outside by himself.We of course would let him be outside when we could be with him.Once he ran up to the neighbors house after I went to the basement to do laundry.You talk about panic when you can't find your 3or4yr old.He survived though and is much easier to handle now.The only thing we have to worry about now is if he is on some website he shouldn't be.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Josie,

I am so glad that Andy is a happy kid, and has done so well because of your great parenting.You have been  through so much, and I am so glad it is easier now.

Love,

Kate

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Kate your note brought tears to my eyes too. Thanks for thinking of our special needs kids even as your are in pain and distress. I pray your doctor calls you back soon.

Josie and SAB, no matter what the diagnosis or degree of impairment, our kids are the last peoplle we think of when we layout hears down at night, right?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah the children always come first. Your posts for me bring tears to my eyes that you post for me when you have so many issues of your own.

Love,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I am contemplating going to the emergency room. It has been 18 hours of this now. I am afraid to eat, because I think it will make it worse. St John's Santa Monica is 6 blocks from where I live, so I would go there. The problem is that there will be a very long wait in er, and I am not for sure what they can do for me. I am going to try and hold out till I talk to my MO.

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

What about calling your MO's office number?  He probably has an answering service that could reach him, even if he's not answering emails just now, or reach a colleague who could help out with this specific question.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

KATE - Darn it!!! I take a day off and all heck breaks out. I am so sorry. Go to the ER please. When my dad was on chemo for lung cancer ( step dad had the bladder cancer) he drank prune juice and it did help but it took awhile. If you are that much pain you need to go to the ER. I don't think you have a blockage either but you never know. I was really constipated after my lumpectomies from the anesthesia. They gave me those darned suppositories Ducolax I think. Worked but it took 2 days to get right. Darn it and you were doing so well. I am very upset that this is happening to you. As if you don't have enough. That stinking Dr is definitely going to pay for this.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

checking in...was here last night but my post disappeared...happens a lot lately.
    Kate, I hope your discomfort is being relieved.  I agree that this is a time to weigh in with the MO. 
    Janis, so sorry about your pain.  I am dealing with a quirky knee that is acting up and I am working thorugh it, but I know what if feels like to have it non-functional and painful.  I hope you can get the testing you need.
    I have been taking extra meds this week end and my mind is unable to focus, so I can't remember what else I wanted to share...so many good thoughts here, and supportive posts.  This is a good place to be.
    Two days in the basement wore me out and pushed my allergies to the limit...felt sick, shaky....now brewing a UTI. 
    Any home-remedies for the UTI?  it's early stage. 
    I can't believe tomorrow is Monday...my busiest day...I need all my papers graded and can hardly stay awake. 
    My grandson (who we raised) came home from NYC and we went out to dinner for his BD (last week)...I am so proud of him...he graduated from college a year ago and is doing quite well...and he is a grateful person (which is all I ask).  He knows he has been blessed....and he deserves it.  I look at him and know that my job as a mom is complete...not over...just fulfilled.  He gave me a "Mom" card for Mother's Day and wrote a special note.
    Cry  -no, not sad, just teary-eyed.
    Back to my paperwork...

Wishing everyone a peaceful and comfortable evening...and a good day tomorrow.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Joan, get antibiotics right away for your uti! When u catch it early it goes away fast. Cranberry juice, etc, may help prevent one, but don't treat it.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited May 2013

Wow, so much happens if you miss a day or 2!

RunFree- Congratulations on finishing your rads!! Take it easy and enjoy the freedom, you earned it.

Sew- I am glad to hear your mammo was good! I can imagine the stress.. I dont look forward to it.

Gigi- You certainly deserve to have some anxiety over making the appointment, its scary.

Janis- I am happy to hear as read along the posts that your grand dog has make it though the surgery. I have 2 sons but I also have 1 furry son also. Hes my buddy and I would do anything to heal or protect him.

Kate- Sorry your not feeling well. The prunes were a good suggestion. What about a stool softener? That might get things moving but not cause cramps. I heard drinking warm water with salt (gross) helps also. Lots of home remedies online to help. But with the chemo you really need to speak to your MO or at least someone that fills in on weekends. Hope you feel better soon.

Tamoxifen... havent picked it up but my day is coming quickly. MO gave me 30 days to feel like me. I am not looking forward to it and have mixed emotions. But in saying that I know its only right to give it a try. 90 days and see how it goes.

Hope the weekend was kind to everyone.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Joan...I always slug lots of cranberry juice when I start to get a UTI. Works for me. Guy the BIG bottle. Of course, antibiotics work faster, but be sure to eat yogurt with it... You gotta stay out of the basement..... Glad your grandson/son came home for a visit. Bet it was wonderful to see him...

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Joan I just finished up a round of Cipro for UTI.  I agree with what others say, try cranberry juice but don't let it get out of hand. 

Lemon I hope you can overcome your fear of Tamifoxen.  Try to see it as a little warrior inside kicking some little cancer butt.  I have not heard many severe side effects from it, not commonly.  SI's legally have to be listed if one out of 100,000 people testing a drug complain of a SE.  Many never get them at all.

I just talked to my son.  He and Jen were visiting Will at the hospital.  He has a lot of staples and IV's, but ate tonight which is good.  They took him out for two short walks.  He can come home tomorrow, Adam is taking a couple days off work to stay with him.  Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts and words!

Kate, I think a trip to the ER is in order.  They may take you in earlier with that swelling.  It has to feel miserable.  Don't suffer if you can get some much needed relief.  Please.  Hugs to you.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Joan, I know you are probably hard at work right now, but I hope that you duck into a clinic tomorrow for some antibiotics.  My dd the elder let her uti go and it turned into a kidney infection!  Don't mess around! BTW Trader Joes has a great no-sugar-added pure cranberry juice, I cut it in half with water and add stevia.  How sweet about your GSon.  Congrats on doing such a good job with him. 

Kate I hope your MO called back by now!  

Janis, nice news about Will.

Lemon, when you start to take it pretend that you are not taking it and try not to even think about it.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Kate Milk of Magnesia is what my husband uses. I use this clear drink called Mag citrate. Either will clear things out within a couple of hours. They can be bought at the pharmacy counter. Sorry you are suffering.

Susannah and Josie, my grandson has Spinal Muscular Atrophy. He started out walking, but he is now 10 and in a wheelchair. He is also on the spectrum, high functioning. He is a unique little guy who loves airplanes, trains, dogs, and his grandma (lucky me). He does well in school and knows every school employee by name. They all love him and he makes their day. He is a complete delight. Special needs moms are the best. I admire my daughter and all she does in a day to advocate for her boy. She works night and day to make sure he is well and happy. She too has a 6 year old daughter who wasn't affected by either the SMA or the Aspergers. There are too many kids being affected these days. There has to be a reason.

Janis good for you. Be your own best advocate with that knee.

Joan, I drink a lot of water, take cranberry chews from the health food/vitamin section, I also use d-mannose from the vitamin shoppe. It carries the bacteria right out of the bladder. You can google it to see how well it works for so many. It is worth a try. Although if you really feel there is an infection, get a culture first and a urinalysis to make sure you get the right antibiotic.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Before I answer any individual posts that may relate tome let me tell you that I am feeling so much better. I finally heard from my MO and he told me to go out and buy gas ex, which I did. He also said I had a bad reaction to Lactulose.He said if I did not feel better to go to St. Johns hospital and get a stomach xray. Finally at about 6 PM 20 hours after the olain started it subsided. I was dying to get out of the house for just a little bit, and I went to CVS to get Gasex, and then I went to Mconalds a block from my house. Not that I am wild about Mcdonald's but they have free wifi. I was starving so I ate a salad. OMG it was such a relief to feel good again. I had tears in my eyes in McDonalds, because I was without pain, and felt so blessed.

Tomorrow I have a blood draw at 10 and a one hour chemo treatment at 11. Seems like things go overtime there, but I am hoping to be home by 1.

My doctor said the 1 hour treatment will be easier for me and the constipation factor will be much better too YEAH!

xoxo,

Kate  

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Runfree,

You are right I should have called. I am one who hates to bother doctors who are so kind to email you constantly 5 days a week, on the weekends. Thank you for reminding me about that. There is no need for me to be courteous if I am hurting badly. Thank God everything turned out ok, and I am better now.

Thanks so much for your advice and support. So when will it be warm enough for you to wear your cute new dress. It will bring me so much joy when I hear you wore it and had fun.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

As I mentioned in an earlier post I finally heard from my doctor, and I am ok now. I never realized constipation could cause so much trouble. I am drinking prune juice and Friday when I go shopping I will buy prunes and plums.

If I have to call every attorney in Los Angeles, yes this doctor will pay for this.

I so much appreciate your support. You are dealing with a ton of issues, taking time to support me. Howe nice is that. You are a doll

Hugs,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

So sorry that you are dealing with allergies and a quirky knee. So glad that you have a loving grandson that you enjoy. Thanks so much for your support.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Lemon,

Thanks so much for your support. Next time I feel badly constipated I will try warm salt water. Can't hurt it is good for your gums too.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sew,

I am taking an antibiotic for a uti, Ciprofloxacin. I am not eating any dairy products while I am taking it, because their drug rules say don't have dairy products two hours before or 6 hours after, so i am eliminating them so I don't make a mistake. I am done with the bottle Wed.  Thurs I can go back to eating my yogurt with 2 tablespoons of flax for extra fiber.

xoxo,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Janis,

So glad Will can come home tomorrow YEAH! Thanks so much for your support.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab thanks so much for your support. I am taking cipro for a urinary tract infection now. I am done with my prescription Wednesday. So many mentioned it, what is the connection to Cranberry juice.?I have not been drinking it.

xoxo,

kate