Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

SAB, it is so difficult having one child with challenges and the other with no challenges, my daughter experiences that. Her DS is on the high functioning end of the spectrum and his academic performance is excellent in some areas and he struggles in others. Her DD came home with a perfect report card. It is so tough to accept each one at his or her own level of ability to perform. It is confusing knowing what to do to help sometimes! My grandson has to go to school every summer! He has to get so tired of it.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

I wanted to explain my niece I was referring to actually graduated at the age of 16 .They moved her up several times in her school years.And she tried to move away to a 4Yr college far awAy from home .She actually finished her studies as at home at a smaller college.

Sew Imsorry your having family problems .Hope everything works out.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all

My hubby thanks y'all because I made his favorite Italian meatball soup...house smells so yummy...oh and cornbread ...ya doesn't really go, but he's in hog heaven. Its 94 here in TX!

Kate - yippee your doing so great warrior...salmon pedi:)

Janis - go to ER if you experience chest pain before you see cardiologist! Serious!!!

Urologist for the leaks...we've stock in depends...ya do what you gotta do...but et it checked out!

Joan - how are you...did you get I to the docs? Hope so.

Lemon - warm here! Do you wear a compression sleeve? My GF has ad LE so I'm wearing mine for housework, gym, and such...I want to play tennis and kayak by the end of the end of the month...easing into life's new normal! I'm still sleeping on my back...lump just doesn't like body weight on her. In time:)

SAB - our kids...so hard at times, but they come around...my son says if he knew then how much he liked medicine would have been serious about grades...nurse practitioner now.

RunFree - 2.5% hydrocortisone is RX from RO helps with emu oil not to itch:)

Rest of y'all keep the cakeball crumbs to a low lip smacking yum!

Ok time to enjoy my soup! Keep the recipes coming...but keep it simple:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• gigil
    edited June 2013

SAB, it is so difficult having one child with challenges and the other with no challenges, my daughter experiences that. Her DS is on the high functioning end of the spectrum and his academic performance is excellent in some areas and he struggles in others. Her DD came home with a perfect report card. It is so tough to accept each one at his or her own level of ability to perform. It is confusing knowing what to do to help sometimes! My grandson has to go to school every summer! He has to get so tired of it.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

I am feeling so good today. I slept 11 hours, and feel so rested. I am feeling no chemo side effects at all. I had a fill and pedi today, with new salmon color polish, and that made me feel good. I am at the donut shop getting ready to go home in a few minutes.

Ladies I need your prayers. I am VERY frightened, because I don't see any signs of my leg improving at all. I had the big treatment yesterday, and the only treatments I have left for the month is 30 minute chemo next week and a 30 minute the week after. I am off of chemo the last week in June. My doctor said that if this type of chemo is going to work that I will see improvement in the month of June, and so far I have seen no such thing. If this chemo doesn't work my future looks very grim. Doc said if this chemo doesn't work we can try another type of chemo for bladder cancer. Problem is that chemo makes you bald, and I won't do it. It is just experimental, and I don't want to spend my final days watching my hair fall out of my head. He also said we can try a clinical trial. I don't want to do those either. Most importantly I don't want to do it because the side effects are unknown. Also they don't compensate you, and I think they should. I refuse to be a free guinea pig. Emotionally I feel great, and so positive, and think I can beat this cancer, but I need my leg to improve , so that I know that I definitely can beat it. You have been so supportive to me, and I am hoping you can spare a few more prayers. I don't know what I would do without you ladies.

Sab when is the next time you will be in LA? I am hoping you can meet me at Santa Monica Place mall for lunch.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Kate, it is just the beginning of June. I am sending healing energy your way like mad. Your big treatment was only yesterday. I am praying for big improvement on that swelling. It has been shown by clinical studies that turmeric (curcumin) cuts off the blood supply to tumors. If you don't see improvement this month, maybe it is time to explore some natural treatments that have shown great promise. Just a thought. I think you WILL see improvement, however. Then you can find out how natural treatments can supplement that.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2013

Dear kate, it is just the beginning of June-I recall your doctor originally said it might take until the end of june for the chemo to start helping your leg. You still have no reason at this time to think the chemo will not work. Let's all be patient and think positively. I don't mean to minimize your pain or your concern. I can't imagine how frightened you must be, but rember the lessons you taught us all, and you will get through this. Looking into your options is a good idea, I think, it's sensible, but don't give up on your present treatment till it's finished.

Xoxo

Susannah

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Kate, big hugs coming to you from NH!!!  You are always so positive and brave, but of course you are scared too.  Can you give June more time?  It's early yet.  If another few weeks go by and things aren't better, maybe you could look into cold caps?  If you could do that then maybe you could face the other chemo--IF you need it--without losing your hair.  Meanwhile your big Monday chemo is fighting, fighting, fighting that cancer every minute for you. 

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Kate everybody is right give it a chance to work and I have faith it will bring you some relief.Please don't give in your such a fighter.I know you want results now but give this a chance and don't give up.

Luv yah!! I will say some extra prayers for you tonight.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Gigil, Thank you so much for your support. I can always count on you.

Suzannah, Thank you so much for your support I can always count on you too. I am thinking positive, and I never give up, but I am a tiny bit scared. I do think this chemo will work, but I would like to see a sign. My doctor is off this week, but I can email Saturday to find out if he expected to see improvemnt after the chemo I had Monday. Yesterday with the 4 hours of fluid I had my nurse also put Lasix in my infusion. That did help. It made my swelling go down some, and helped me to walk better too. I will ask my doctor about that too on Saturday.

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

(((((Kate)))))

Ditto...you just received your big chemo yesterday and its only 6/4!

Hang in there warrior!

You are surrounded by our love and prayers xoxo.

Focus on today ... chemo fighting killing any and all c!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Runfree and Josie Thank you so much for your support. You are both right, and I will tune out any negative thought that comes in. My gut tells me I will be ok, and I will listen to that. I luv you both so much too.

Love,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Cindy, Thank you so much for your support too. I slipped today, and forgot to wear my princess coat. I let a little scare creep in, and it is nowhere near the end of June yet. I have it back on now, and I feel the pockets full with all of my breast cancer sisters, and my family hugging the outside of the coat. I am positive once again. With all this love and support I will kick cancer in the butt.

So sorry I slipped a little today from my extremely positive attitude, but it caught me off guard. Thank you all for putting me back on a positive cours.

Love you,

Kate

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited June 2013

Kate

It's okay to be scared. Sometimes you have to let it out. When I read your post I was scared because I know your going to kick this cancers ass!! You ARE kicking it right now!! There's no other option. Your a inspiration to me and I'm sure the others.

Beautiful Bravery is what comes to mind. (((Hugs))) extra prayer coming your way! Patience my friend your going to win. xo

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Kate you never have to apologize.  We all have moments when fear creeps in the door.  I am so glad we have each other here for reassurance and friendship.  What would we do without each other, really?  I am so grateful for this group of women who are there for each other when we need it.  You have big hugs from all of us and you are going to get past this thing.  That darned chemo is working hard in there fighting those little c cells.  When you go to bed at night picture that chemo doing its job, and those weak, scrawny little c cells are going down baby!  They are going down!!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Oh Lemon such a sweet post it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much!

Luv you!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Gigil thank you so much for your very nice post. With the love of my family and bc sisters I definitely will beat this. Because of all of the support you and the other breast cancer sisters gave me tonight I am thinking 100% positive again .

Luv you,

kate

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Kate - you didn't slip...you expressed what each of us feels at times ...fear, doubt, panic, not fair:( can I do this...shell shocked at times.

Night time or the early hours when me feel most alone...it can hit...the little doubt...the ? Or sometimes when everyone is doing life...we wish for our old carefree lives.

You're real...

We all have our moments...but we have each other. Together we wage war!

You are a brave warrior! We admire your spunk and attitude go get em tiger princess rah!

Much love...singing Remind Me Who I Am To You! Beloved:)))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

You tube it great song

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Cindy, What a wonderful post. It makes me feel so good. What a great song I haven't heard of it before. I just checked it out on Google. Then I listened to it on You Tube.  Thank you so much for reminding me that I am a fighter and never give up.

You have been so supportive, and I luv youxoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Cindy, your hubby and mine are happy campers with soup today!!  Tomorrow I have to cook again.  My lovely pot of soup is empty!!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Kate, your shiny salmon fingers and toes and skirt must look awesome with your sparkling princess warrior coat!  Remember---your doc said the nasty naughty cells react to the chemo by puffing themselves up before they shrinky dink down?  Somehow I can't help but think of an angry cat--the way they arch their backs. stiffen their legs, make their hair stand straight up in a kitty Mohawk?  And they hiss and yowl and switch their tails?  Then their tempers and ther hair smooth down and they curl up and purr.  We're all waiting for the purr.

There are several lymphedema threads here.  Maybe some of them will give you some ideas for treating your leg, as there is quite a bit you can do besides just waiting for the chemo to kick in. 

I'm hoping for a really good day for you today--you certainly deserve it!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions.  Brookside I had what is called an "erectocele" but a gyn did the surgery.  Never again, it was a nightmare.  You can Goolge and see what it looks like, very miserable.  Not painful but causes other problems.  I didn't have the urnine leakage then and only in the past 6 months has that gotten more pronounced.

Gigil the pain starts almost always as a heavy pressure across my whole chest.  It then radiates sometime to one side only sometimes to both.  Yesterday the worst pain it radiated front to back through my left side, but again not confined to one area.  It never starts gradually.  Always pretty suddenly.  I need to know what is going on.

Susannah I think it is common for MO's to be in denial about rads causing any complications.  I told my MO after my ER visit and mentioned the doctor at the ER felt it was likely related to rads.  Oh not possible!  The same thing with my LE.  he treated that as cellulitis, then some other problem but kept telling me it wasn't LE.  My BS saw me and before he even touched it said I had LE and needed therapy right away.  Mo's make me nuts.

SAB, these episodes always confuse me as ths far they have gone away on their own.  Had it not been for the one and only trip I took to the ER that first episode I would probably be racing there. 

I did make an appointment to see my NP who is my primary.  Kara is very thorough and I know she will get me the proper referrals if necessary.  I go a week from Monday on the 17th.  I want both problems addressed.  The urine thing has gotten worse despite being on a medication for that.  The recurrance of these chest pains bothers me more since I am nearly two years out of rads and had none for much of that time.  Very unsettling to say the least. 

Kate I have never had a cardiologist, but if I need one Kara will certainly get me a referral.  She is very good about that.  Evryone is on board here for you.  Being worried is not the same as being weak, not one little bit.  I garee with the others, it is awfully early to think the chemo is not helping.  It takes time.  When something is wrong of course we want to see it fixed quickly.  Give chemo time, and please don't make any life altering decisions about a different coarse of treatment.  I know how much you love your hair, but so many women on here have lots theirs but won the cancer battle.  Hair will come back, you can recover from that.  Nobody likes it, but the alternative is much worse.  You know we don't love you for your hair!  Nobody else does either.  Loss of life is a high price to pay just for a nice head of hair.  They make wonderful wigs these days.  If course I know you don't wish to project that far ahead, so take it a step at a time now okay?  Venting is so allowed!  You know that dear Kate.  You have lots of friends here and there in Santa Monica.  We want to help, and if we manage to cheer you then we are doing something right.  Big healing hugs my friend!

I know I left others out...Lemon, Josie, well, everyone here.  I thank you so much for all the good advice and of course the wonderful support.  Sew....aw sweet Sew.  We'll talk soon my friend!  HUGS!

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Janis, I ran all of your situation past my husband who is an ER doc.  He said it very well might be costochondritis, but it also could be cardiac, or it could be both.  He said at our age, and with any risk factors, you should go to the ER next time it is happening.  They will evaluate it, and even if your testing looks normal, you should explain that this is not the first episode you have had and you should push for a stress test, just to make sure all is well.  The stress test is the definitive evaluation for this kind of pain.  Hope this helps.  You deserve some answers and peace of mind on this.  Cardiac pain for women is not always typical, as you probably know.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Gigil thanks so much for talking to him about it.  I know he is right.  I hate going to the ER especially if it turns out to be nothing, but I know chest pain should not be ignored.  I am not convinced that it is costochondritis.  When I went to the ER that first time, they said they ruled out any cardiac event but really weren't sure what it was.  I think they threw out both costochondritis as well as pleurisy as maybe fitting with the symptoms.  By the way, the ER that we went to is for a hospital I will not go back to.  I had my surgery for the erectocele there and that entire experience was a nightmare.  My day nurse was horrible.  I had two separate alarms going off, loud beeping, and nobody came to check on me.  One was for blood pressure the other for my pulse oxygen.  When I finally had to call the nurses desk she came into my room and silenced both alarms and had the gall to tell me that the alarms meant nothing serious which is why she didn't show up.  Really?  Is that how it works?  Two separate alarms go off, I can see my blood pressure is I think 120/208 and that is nothing?  Plus the pulse oxygen was low enough to set off a separate alarm.  She might have told me they ignore alarms there.  They went off over and over that day and I was an absolutel stressed out mess.  I am a very good quiet patient, not ever demanding, always kind to staff.  It scared the crap out of me every time it happened.  Late afternoon my night nurse came in, and she had to redo those cuff things to prevent blood clots because they were on UPSIDE DOWN!  She asked who had put them on me and I told her.  I could see the anger flash across her face.  Also she checked down south and and pulled a filthy nasty pad out, asked when the last time it had been changed and I told her because of my pain I had no idea it was there.  She could not tell me what to do but planted a nice little seed about reporting her.  A little while later my sister, an RN in Denver, called.  I was so stressed I burst into tears at the sound of her voice.  When I told her what was happening she was livid and told me to report her NOW and among other things tell the charge nurse I would not let that nurse be on my case the next day.  It was the worst experience.  They had told me the next day my doctor was keeping me another night because of my inability to urinate without a catheter.  I was really feeling sick as it was, then the nurse came in and said my doctor had discharged me.  What?  Long story and I ended up going home with a catheter.  I was so sick as they were wheeling me out to the front I told this nurse I was very sick.  She actually stopped and got me a barf bag, so I was discharged vomiting.  Nice to supply the bag wasn't it?  Loads of compassion.

Anyway I will not see that GYN again either, and I hope I never have to go back to that hospital.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Brookside thank you so much for the wonderful post and your support. Also thank you for reminding me about the lympedema threads. I will check them out. Not sure of how I feel today, because I just woke up at 11.

xoxo,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Kate - I am so darned jealous and miss Santa Monica so much. If GiGil and Lemon are coming I need to be there.

Janis - get that checked. I have been to the ER about 5 times for chest pain etc. Never find anything. Told me it was stress or anxiety. Gave me Valium but I still get them. As far as the leakage I get that too sometimes. Started after my hysterectomy but got better for a bit. Now that I have had gall bladder surgery it is back. Very mild. I just wear mini pads but it does bother me. Like GiGil I do kegals and am going to try probiotics.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Janis I am so sorry that you are in pain. I hope this gets figured out as soon as possible.

I don't know how I feel today other than tired. I got up at 11 and I am going back to take a nap now. Being tireds beats pain, so I am gratedul. No signs of nausea yeah.

xoxo,
    Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Kate - did not see you latest post about the swollen leg. I agree with everyone else. Give it some time. No need to apologize. We all have fears. You are a trouper. I am so glad you are doing well with the chemo so far.

I don't talk about it much but when I was first diagnosed with Sarcoidosis my PCP said it was a horrible disease and would kill me. I went home and curled up in a ball and cried for days. It took months of therapy to get me to accept that I was ok and then Bernie Mack died from it. Again I went into a ball and could not calm down but I prayed a lot. I am in remission. I am ok and you will be too. Sarcoidosis is not Cancer by any means but I know about slipping.Cool

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Janis what a nightmare! Go to a good ER if it happens again just to be safe and you are right not to go back to the person who did your surgery for the other problem! That whole place sounds like a mess!

Kate glad you are feeling okay today and are resting.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, what the bejibbers is wrong with that PCP??????  Do you still see that person, and did you ever get a chance to say that was a rotten way to tell you about the disease?