Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Kate, and Bunkie too, of course it is easy to slip...we all do.  Kate, I can hear your frustration and upset over the ongoing problems with your leg.  I hope that you start to see results soon, but as the others pointed out it is just the beginning of the month.  Breath deep, gather your patience and as Gigi suggests, spend some time looking at some natural options to supplement your treatment?

Janis, It just makes me so mad to hear about you being treated that way in the hospital.  I hope you have a good alternative place to go.  And I certainly hope that you did report that nurse, so that others will not suffer the way you did!  I had the same experience with the RO...it seems they are loathe to admit to rads causing anything in the way of side effects.  My LE was called "cellulitis" and treated with two different courses of antibiotics before she finally gave in and admitted it was not an infection. It delayed my rads a month.

Josie, what a great story about your niece.  I know your ds probably has mixed feelings about her dds new found independence, but I find it inspiring.  With any kid, if we do our mom job right we sort of become unecessary! 

Gigi both my kids were challenged, just in different ways.  The first one had a very difficult, windy road to get to the good place she is at right now.  That makes me happy, and also gives me hope and determination to help dd the younger get there.

Cindy, I think that finding ones passion in life is a great motivator.  dd the elder did it and it carried her through some very difficult times.  dd the younger is still searching for her nook.  Schools expect kids to know what they want to do so very early in life now...I think it's a great deal of pressure, especially for a kid who is not in the mainstream.

My intention was to make soup last night but dh was late, and dd has requested I use all the lovely veggies tonight in a curry instead. 

OMG does anyone here watch Game of Thrones? I cannot get those horrid images out of my head.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Janis, how wonderful idea Gigii's MD husband is--of course you need a cardiac stress test, and why none of us thought of it is beyond me.  Please be sure your pcp orders the one with contrast (unless you're allergic), as it shows more stuff.  What stuff?  I have no idea, but I can tell you that a few years ago, I needed one.  My MDwas away and his nurse practitioner ordered the plain vanilla kind.  The cardiologist who administered the test was really irritated, and so was I!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Janis, when they repair a rectocele and/or a cystocele (same thing except it concerns the bladder), they do a lot of very delicate hauling and hoisting and often disturb your plumbing, resulting in leaks.  A surgical repair is very likely to help.  If your gyn did not send you to a competent surgeon at your post surgical visit, you certainly should not go near him again.  You want either a urologist with a large female practice, or a urogynecologist (gyn with a fellowship in urology).  THere are also excellent nonsurgical techniques that could help.  Feel free (anyone with this problem) to PM me and I'll share.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Sab - Yes I watch Game of Thrones. OMG I was so shocked they killed that many at one time. Yikers!!! It really is a good show but a lot of people complained.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

SAB I think all kids (myself included as a kid) have challenges to overcome.  Some of them can be named, and some of them go completely un-named and misunderstood.  It is almost good when you can put a finger on it and work from there.  With my kids, at the point where I was in life, I didn't quite know what I was dealing with.  I just had to go on instinct to help them get to the next level.  God, being a parent can be such a crap shoot.  Sometimes I felt like I was helping and other times I think it was quite the opposite.  At least we try, right?  That is all we can do.  If a kid has a parent that cares enough to help, that is a lucky kid.  I used to counsel girls in a group home, and they didn't have even one parent who cared.  Sad.

Dinner tonight?  Quinoa Stir Fry.  It turned out great.  I used a stir fry oil that was a combination of sesame and peanut oil, cooked the quinoa ahead.  I used chicken, but I think tofu would have worked well and after adding some fresh garlic to the oil, I added the chicken.  When that was almost done, I added diced red bell pepper, green onions, zuchinni, celery to the center of my wok.  I stir fried those until they were beginning to sweat.  I added some sesame seeds and the quinoa, some salt to taste and ground pepper to taste.  It was pretty good, if I do say so myself.  I didn't feel like I'd had enough protein yesterday, just noshing on soup all day.  The chicken was good, but on one of our vegetarian days, I will definitely try tofu.  

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Kate,rest well my friend your doing exactly what your body needs now.

Janis hope you get some answers soon!!!Don't go to that hospital again.That's terrible!!

Sab I'm glad you were inspired by the story.My DD still doesn't know what she wants to do with her life yet but she will figure it out when she's ready.I know she doesn't want to be a waitress forever.Her boyfriend still hasn't gotten his GED.He quite High school.I am not proud that she has chosen this guy but you know kids they have to find out the hard way.

I just got a new set of choppers today!!My dentist(actually his wife who is also a dentist)

Fit me for the top plate tonight.It hurt so bad.

She filed it down a little to where I could stand it and told me to wear it all night if I can stand it.She said to call tomorrow if it's still hurting.It really doesn't hurt now .I guess I will see how I am by tomorrow.I'm sorry I didn't mean to gross anyone out.But that's my life.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, good for you!  My sister had the same set of dentures for almost 30 years.  She would not go in and get re-fit for a new set.  Last year she finally did it.  It is a process, but it is so worth it.  She looks great.  Bet you do too!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

I have slept most of the day away. It is 6:30 here, and I think I have only been up for 3 hours today. Total exhaustion from my treatment Monday. I hope I am feeling better by Friday, because I have a date to go to Malibu with my friend.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Thank you so much about telling me about your experience with sarcoidosis. Gosh you have been through so much. I am positive once again today, but totally fatigued from my chemo treatment Monday.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Gigil, Sab, and Josie thank you so much for your support.

Josie, I bet you will adjust to your new dental work soom, and look great.

I have been up 15 minutes to eat a little something, and now I am going to lay down again.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Kate, while you rest you are healing Smile

Josie, (and Gigi) I had to find my own way too, so I guess this would count as my mother's revenge, ha!  I hope your dental work is not too painful for you Josie.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Kate, so glad to hear you are resting. Bet you feel more energetic tomorrow. Those cancer cells are getting their asses kicked by the chemo!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Thanks Sab,Kate and Gigil . I'm not doing too bad.I ate a biscuit with egg and a little biscuit and gravy.The egg biscuit was very painful to eat until I realized that I was not chewing right.It's kind of weird to eat with teeth that aren't yours.I was so used to my soft temporary set.Now I just have to chew with my back teeth.You do what you have to eat.

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie are your gums really sore? Maybe they toughen up with time? Sounds like you were able to eat pretty well tonight though. Maybe tomorrow will be a little easier I hope!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, Brooksite, SAB, Cindy, Josie, Thanks for the input on my contact dermatitis.  It makes sense about the swelling as the skin behaves like one organ at times.  I am trying to see PCP but she’s only in Thur PM this week.  One thing is I don’t really want to add steroids to my meds right now.  I am hoping this is the last of the spreading today. 
    Sew, thanks for your input as well.  The caladryl clear is good.  I can slather it on when I get home and it helps.  I am sure this is an allergic reaction.  It’s my 2nd worst experience with contact dermatitis.  But I’m functional....just really tired.  Once in the past it spread for 3 weeks then took about 2 more weeks to disappear.  And the shot didn't do anything notable. 
    Janis, thanks for the concern.  Always something, huh! 

Josie, I have the same sleep pattern you described.  I just lie there trying to sleep and all kinds of things go through my mind.  I don’t take meds to sleep because I have to get up early. 
    Run Free, my meeting with my Academic Chair (real boss) went OK but didn't really change anything.  I got about half the support I needed, but that's better than none.He said he would use leverage with administrators if my class in the future gets close to cancellation.  (blah blah blah) I didn't tell any of them what I really wanted to say.  But it's usually better that way.

But, tonight I’ m feeling tireed so am going to finish reading tomorrow...
    Nite all,

Joan

• SAB
    edited June 2013

Joan, I'm sure the discomfort you are feeling is exhausting.  And the buttheads you have to deal with at work can't be helping. I hope you have relief soon, on all fronts. I applaud your restraint. 

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Joan, good to hear from you.  Hopefully things will be on the mend for you.  You have really put up with enough lately with all of that.  Glad you got at least some support on your job.  It sucks when you don't feel you have anyone in your corner.  Hope you can get some rest.  I think we all have trouble sleeping.  I use antihistamine at night.  It has helped me more than anything lately.  My allergies have been acting up, so it helps doubly.  

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Sab, I slept 20 out of 24 hours yesterday. I went to bed at 8. It is 3 am, and I am eating a little something and going back to bed. I don't know if it is my imagination, or just being in bed so many hours, but my leg swelling seems to have gone down. I am not 100% positive yet, so I will let you know. I am so hopeful that right now it looks like less swelling. So maybe all this sleeping did cause some healing.

Thanks so much for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Gigil, Thanks so much for your support

Joan I hope things will go better for you

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

YOUR PRAYERS WORKED! THE SWELLING IS DECREASING. I AM BEYOND ECSTATIC! IT MEANS THAT THIS CHEMO IS WORKING THANK GOD! THANK GOD! THANK GOD!

It is not all gone, but there definitely is an improvement. When I talked to a nurse at chemo I asked her if she ever had a bladder patient with leg swelling. She said she did, and during the second cycle of chemo(where I am at now) the swelling started to go down, and by the 3rd five hour treatment it was all gone. My 3rd five hour treatment will be July 1 All of my family's support and your support is kicking cancer in the butt.

I will have ct scans at the end of june. My pelvis should have improvemnt. As you know my pelvis lymph nodes are malignant. Those cancer cells are pressing on the veins in my legs. I also have lung nodules. When I did the urgent ct scans May 15 there was no change regarding my lung nodules. On the next ct scans I am praying for an improvement of my lung nodules.

I did sleep 20 hours yesterday. Last night I went tobed at 8, and I just got up at 8 and I am feeling better than yesterday.Tomorrow I am hoping that I will feel well enought to go to Malibu with my friend.

xoxo,

Kate

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited June 2013

Kate - Yippee! Happy Dance! Ooo whoo:)))

Now the hard part...stay home princess warrior and keep the leg up so all that chemo can kick the #£~#* out of c!

So REST...yes REST! No running around today which is difficult for our Kate, but continue to rest so your body is totally spending all it's energy and efforts to squeezing the #%# out of your body.

Yes, you feel like running to the donut shop and mall for retail therapy, but please REST!

Let the chemo do its job...seek and destroy!

Yippee brave warrior! Skinny leg days coming

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Kate, I am delighted to hear that the swelling has gone down. As you said, it is good news for a lot of reasons. The chemo is working! Glad you are resting and giving your body a chance to heal. I think you will definitely feel like going on your outing this coming weekend. Yay!

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Cindy very cute pic on your avatar!!  Love it!

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Cindy, Thanks so much for your support. My doctor wants me to walk on my leg a little every day. The donut shop is just one block away, so I will go there. I can elevate my leg there

Gigil thanks so much for your support.

I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am to know this chemo is working. A big fear has been eliminated YEAH!

xoxo,

Kate

• mainegirl
    mainegirl Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2013

What a difference a week makes.  Last Friday I was in tears with pain from radiation burns.  After a week of Silvadene and non-stick bandages my skin is so much better.  I saw my plastic surgeon today for a follow up and he said if my chest is better today he can't imagine what it looked like a week ago!  So, I wasn't being a baby.  Good to know.  Anyway, thanks for being there with support.  I haven't weighed in much, but it helps to read everyone's comments back and forth.  Now on to the big wait for exchange surgery; probably six months from now.  We are all dealing with so much, but one day at a time.

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Yippee Mainegirl!

Yes, it is amazing how our skin/girl begins to look so much better! Thank you:)))

Keep babying that girl ... She may change a bit more...and then look like she never played laser tag!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    edited June 2013

Hi y'all

Kate - yeah! 'A Little' walk everyday...moderation. No big shopping outing or you'll be gased for tomorrow nights event. So happy for you:)

GiGil - thanks a fun day! What's cookin today? Just made another batch of cornbread...country boy likes cornbread&milk for breakfast...me with chili ha!

Josie - how's the new choppers! Hope they are feeling good and the tooth fairy put something under your pillow and in the freezer...ice cream or mud pie yumm!

Joan - hope skin is better...no more gallivanting around SF without all of us to supervise. Drat work situation ... Frustrating, but at least some on your side.

Bunkie - GOT way for gory for me...damages or homeland or good wife or mamma mia and Nordic track sing along ha!

Went to gym for treadmill and weights...home to practice my line dance lessons and then off to Pilates ...gonna make a veggie wrap with humus yum! Day 5 of HT and no SEs ...pounding the bones like MO said. Glad I retired early, this would never have been possible working 12 hr days sitting in meetings or planes ugh. Got to work on my next shutter-fly adventure book for GS! Thinking fireworks on the lake...arm and body should be ready by July...goals:)

(((Hugs)))

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

Yeah Kate!!! I knew it would work. So happy for you.

• BUNKIE10
    edited June 2013

RMlulu - Was that the season finale? OMG that was awful. The author said it was taken form a true story of some Scottish family back in those days. Yikers!!!!By the way I watch all those shows too. I really like Damages and can not wait for Homeland.I like Downton Abby too.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Kate that is wonderful.  I am so glad that you are finally getting some relief from that leg swelling.  I hope it just continues to improve.  Happy dance, I bet you can do a little dance around your apartment. 

mainegirl I am happy your skin is clearing up finally.  It is such a painful process but a week sure makes a world of difference.   What a relief to have you feeling so much better.

Sab, I never went back to the gynecologist who did that surgery.  I know I should have gotten another opinion and I wish I had insisted on seeing a urologist.  I am hoping my PCP will be able to refer me to a urologist this time around.  As far as the chest issues, I am not sure what she will make of that.  I guess I will find out on the 17th.  I hate all these ongoing problems!  All I want is to be 100% free of all these additional issues.

Sew, I have been wondering about your recent blood work and some of the problems.  Is your doctor ordering more tests?  I hope you can get some answers soon.  Not knowing is just tough. 

Take good care everyone.  Love, hugs of course.