Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2013

Mainegirl, I am glad you are feeling better.

Cindy, line dancing and no SE is great

Bunkie than you for your support

Janis I am sorry you are having so many issues. Thank you for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Janis, thanks for wondering. Messed up blood the least of my problems right now but anemia not helping, I will say that! Brother in ICU since late Monday night with respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. All my time/energy spent at hospital supporting my dear SIL and transporting my 94 yr old mom. Hard times. Did get thyroid US and that clear, so no problems there.... Will post when I can. Just skimming the thread right now....

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2013

Sew I am so sorry to hear about your brother.  I am so glad that you are able to be there for your SIL.  How is your dear Mom holding up?  This has to be terribly difficult for her, poor thing.  I can imagine how busy you are with all of this going on.  I realize the blood work takes a back seat, but happy the thyroid US was good.  Thinking of you my friend.  Sending special healing hugs out to your brother and strength for all of you.  I am so sorry your family is having to go through this difficult time.  Hugs my friend. 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

So sorry for your troubles, Sew.  Your brother, your mom, your sister-in-law are all so lucky to have you.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Sew,

I am so sorry your brother is so will. I hope he gets well soon, and I will pray

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2013

Kate, that's such great news!  Joy!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Sew, I am so very sorry to hear about your brother. I'm sending my wishes for his recovery, and a hug for you.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited June 2013

Kate and main girl-what great news, things are improving!! So happy to hear the swelling has gone done kate. Glad you are getting food rest!

Josie, congrats on the teeth! I have the world's worst teeth, and am slowly working to get implants in my various gaps. I have temporary partial bridges for now.

Janis, your er and hospital experience sounds awful. I'm surprised they didn't just shoot you out of the hospital rather than wheeling you out. So unkind!

Long day at work, very tired, but cheered by Kate's good news.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited June 2013

Sew, I'm sending strong wishes for your brother to be OK! 

Joan, I'm so sorry to hear your work situation is still a mess.  I know there's a lot of politics and BS in academia and I hate to hear about people being victimized by it.  Well, I was too, indirectly--my dad got denied for tenure when I was 7 and we became academic nomads for years.  And I did the adjunct thing for a long time too.  Anyway it really stinks and I think other garbage should give us a pass when we have BC, but obviously that doesn't always happen.

Kate, I am beyond thrilled to hear about your leg!  That is the best news I've had in so long!  Donuts and skinny legs for you!

Here's my update.  Yesterday was a very hard day.  I was really psyching myself out about Tamoxifen, ahead of meeting my new MO today.  Since I didn't need chemo, this is the first thing that's affecting my whole body, and of course, it's much longer lasting than surgery or radiation--5-10 years--and I was feeling pretty doomed.  Then a bad interaction with a nurse on the phone just picked the scab I'd formed my cancer fears, and I was quite a mess for the rest of the day. 

Today my husband and I drove 90 minutes to the new MO--and she is worth every mile!  She spent TWO AND A HALF HOURS with us!  She reassured me about Tamoxifen quite a bit, telling me which side effects she sees most often--mood changes, vaginal dryness--and what she does about them.  She said, "Go ahead and plan a half-marathon--register for one today!  Buy a plane ticket!  No, better yet, plan a full marathon!  Maybe an Ironman!"  (No danger of the last, as I don't like to swim.)  She is NOT keen to do ovarian suppression, which I'd also been scared about.  She confirmed that my stage is 1B not 2A (two doctors said the latter, mysteriously), and she wasn't worried about my micromet.  About my itchy skin, she said to use Aquaphor until it heals, but she also fetched my lovely RO, who works in this clinic as well as the one where I had rads.  The RO checked me out and said to go back to aloe jelly.  Easily done.  I am starting Tamoxifen tomorrow, much relieved.  Whatever side effects I do have probably won't kick in until 2-4 weeks from now.  Even so, she said, "Plan a vacation!"  She was just great. 

The nurse had printed out some information on hormonal therapy from breastcancer.org, and I said, "No need, I go there every day!"

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited June 2013

Sew, it sounds like you all have been having some anxious moments in regard to your brother.  Let us know how he is doing.  Praying for him.

Mainegirl, glad to hear things are improving for you.  One more week, and you should be feeling even better yet.  

Susannah, I join you in fatigue today.  Drove about 90 miles to get my dad here for the night.  We leave tomorrow morning for Fargo, ND where there is a fund raising walk for SMA, the disease that has my grandson in a wheelchair.  We are raising research funds and working for a cure.  They are getting very close.  Driving in traffic, during rush hour takes it out of a person.

Cindy, we all went out for ribs tonight.  I don't usually order them because they always make me feel yucky.  Yup, I had to order them.  They sounded so good.  They were good, but now I feel a little yucky.  I hope it passes.  I definitely feel better when I keep it veggies and grain and fruit.  Tomorrow I will.

Kate, I am feeling so good for you.  You needed a break in all of this!!

Janis, no more pain?  I hope?

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2013

Kate Yeah!! I'm so happy for you .I'm glad you got so much rest yesterday.You must have needed it.

Sew I'm so sorry to hear about your Brother.I'll say some prayers for him and your family. Take care of yourself.I'm glad the US was ok.

Joan I'm sorry your having so much trouble sleeping too.Right now you have a lot going on.I sure hope you can get some relief soon.

Cindy that's great your doing so well on the meds.

Sounds like your feeling great!!

Maine girl so glad your burns are improving.Ouch!!

I was so lucky not to burn.But boy did it get red and hot.

Gigil my gums are sore but my dental assistant who deals with all the dentures at their office stayed late tonight so I could come after work.She is so nice and worked with me until I was feeling no pain.

She even made me a whitening tray for my bottom teeth that are now looking a little yellow compared to these new teeth.

Cindy No the tooth fairy didn't come but that's ok it been like 6 months since I actually really lost the teeth(had them pulled all at once)

I was so tired today I don't think I was able to sleep to well.They wanted me to get my gums used to the new teeth so I was told to sleep with them in last night.Then the dog started whining to get out of the bedroom at like 6am.I was like walking in my sleep until noon.I always get to catch up on the weekends .

• gigil
    edited June 2013

Josie, it makes me feel good when I hear about someone going above and beyond for the sake of someone in need.  Thank goodness you are more comfortable now.  Some reasearch has found a link between root canals and bc.  I have a ton of root canals in my mouth and crowns on top.  I have considered having them removed.  I don't think they are good for you.  They keep things in a constant state of inflammation.  Hope you get some sleep tonight to make up for last night.  

Cindy, so glad your meds are agreeing with you!!  You give a chicken like me incentive to give it a try.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Suzannah, Josie and Brookside thank you so much for your support. Josie I am so glad that you are doing better regarding your dental issues.

Runfree I am so glad you found a new compassionate, knowledgeable MO, and thank you for your support.

Gigil I pray research finds a cure for your adorable grandson

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited June 2013

RunFree glad you like your doctor and that she was able to reassure you. Can't believe how callous some people can be. They can knock the legs right out from under you and not even notice, and then you can have such a kind caring nurse other times. It is just hard to feel so vulnerable. Seeking any sort of medical care sends me into sheer panic - even the most benign things, like lab work or a flu shot. I used to take good health so much for granted.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Sew, I am thinking of you, and I hope your brother is doing better. I am sorry that this is such a rough time for you and your family.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Today is going to be a fun day for me, and I need it. I am going to get my hair flat ironed this afternoon. Then I am meeting my friend at her office at 3:30 and we are going to Malibu.  One of our favorite places, The malibu Inn starts happy hour at 4, and believe it or not the wine is only $3 a glass. Then we will go to La Costa Mission mexican restaurant for dinner around 6.

I am feeling a little queazy this morning, but I just took a pill, and I am praying I will be ok to go.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited June 2013

Run free, so happy to hear about your new MO! I wish they could all be like yours, sounds like u are in the best hands, especially as she gives your mind pease and encouragement.

GiGil, I hate to drive in traffic too, and find it very tiring. I'm feeling much more rested today.

Kate, I know uwill have fun today! Your up mood is contagious.

The results of my husbands biopsies from his upper endoscopy came back, all negative! One of the first times I've cried with happy news. He has to get another scope in 5 years, and we will watch it carefully.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

RunFree - That was my PCP out in Ca. very nice lady but scared to death by my diagnosis. Over reacted and apologized for it late. My shrink was too surprised yesterday when she asked what made me stop worrying about Sarcoidosis killing me and I told her my mom passing away and breast cancer. It is true. Cancer is the one diagnosis that will come front and center no matter what else is going on.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2013

Hi Ladies!

Trying to catch up a little but impossible. This thread moves fast!

Sew, your brother and your family (and YOU) are in my prayers.

Kate, glad to hear your leg is better.

RunFree, also happy to hear you like your MO. I love mine. I start tamoxifen on 6/18 and I am nervous but ready.

I am STILL experiencing fatigue in the afternoons. It feels like I was awake all night. It is that same exhaustion you feel when not getting any sleep. It seems to mostly happen in late afternoon (after 2 PM) and I get a second wind in the evening for a little while.

Other than that, dealing with a diabetic cat has been taking a LOT of my time up. I am doing curves (testing every few hours) to try and get the right dose to regulate my sweet little sugar boy. Very stressful poking him in his little ears all the time but he is pretty good natured about it.

Hope all other peeps are well around here.

Gotta run..am at work and took a quick break to say hello!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited June 2013

Josie - Congrats on the new teeth. They will be a blessing when they get broken in. Does oragel help?

Joan - Hang in there. It will have to get better. I know you are not in the posistion to retire yet but when you can do it.

Sew - I feel so bad about your brother. Prayers to him and you handleing all the stress.

RunFree - So happy about your new MO. Yeah!!! I was lucky not to need anything hormonal after rads because I am negative But still trying to lower the HRT dose monthly and having issues there.

GiGil - Safe drive today for a wonderful cause. I totally agree with you on root canals. I had one several years ago that gave me so many problems with headaches I had to have the tooth pulled. It was never right. I have been putting off getting a crown as we speak.

SussanahW - happy dance on those results. I am getting a referral soon for the same test. Something is not right with me there.

Kate - enjoy your day today and have some good mexican food. I miss that so much I even went to the mexican store here and begged them to make me some chicken enchalidas and rice. They just laughed at me. We do have a new place I might try...

• SusannahW
    edited June 2013

Bunkie, don't postpone getting your endoscopy. Most likely it will give u peace of mind, but if there is a little something going on u know it's best to treat it early. Heartburn, ugh, it sucks.

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

Hi Suzannah,

I am beyond happy that all of your husband's biopsies came back negative. Thank God! Tha nk you for your support.

xoxo,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited June 2013

April I am so sorry that you are still feeling fatigued. Also so sorry that your poor kitty has diabetes. Thanks so much for your support.

Bunkie, hard to imagine a town that can't whip up good mexican food. Thanks so much for your support.

xoxo,

kate

• josie123
    edited June 2013

April I'm glad to hear from you.But I'm sorry that your still feeling fatigue.I've been wondering about you.

Kate I hope your nausea got better so you could enjoy your Mexican.

Susannah I'm happy you got great results on hubby biopsies.

Gigil I'm so jealous that your MO is so thorough.Even when I had the first visit with her she didn't spend that much time and never has she even listened to my heart much less actually examine me.In fact I usually plant myself in the chairs next to the exam table and that it.They weigh you and take temp and BP and that's before you get to the exam room.

BUNKIE I don't like the numb feeling Oragel gets when it goes down your thoughts or makes your tongue numb.

Actually it's a lot better now and I can eat anything

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2013

Suzannah, what good news about your DH.  

Kate, I heard there was some excitement of the worst kind in Santa Monica today.  I hope you were tucked well out of the way!

Sew, thinking about you.

I have been so busy that I didn't even notice that my 2 year anniversary of dx came and went.  That cheered me...not noticing.  

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Sorry that was run free who had the new MO.

I never had called to get a sooner appt for my RO.

It's still swollen and hurts and I have to remind my hubby not to playfully squeeze that one.Sorry I know TMI...

• josie123
    edited June 2013

Kate and BUNKIE you made me hungry for Mexican so I'm making soft tacos and sweet corn cakes

• SusannahW
    edited June 2013

Thanks SAB. And congratulations on your 2year anniversary, here's to not noticing!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2013

Hi, thanks for all your kind notes of support for my itchy-*itchy self and my job fiasco.  Funny thing about the job - the boss-man who gave me support is the same guy who took my appointment away from me 9 years ago so that a favorite son could have the professorship.  It's never been discussed.  I felt something or someone was watching over me so I didn't blurt out how I really feel.

About MOs...my NP does vitals and interview.  MO comes in, goes on PC with back facing me and asks me questions about what I just told the NP.  She does an exam and writes Rx.  She's no hand holder.  Next time I will ask a lot more about blood work.

Sew, I am so very sorry to hear of your brother's serious illness.  What sadness for you and your mother...please be careful in your travels; and I pray your brother and your family will find peace and healing in the coming days.  Sending a big hug....

The rain has been crazy here...I drove home from work in the midst of it and it's been on and off all evening.  My yard has standing water but no flooding here. I hope everyone on the east coast is holding up OK. 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2013

Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes everyone. All I can say is this is awful. My brother has severe COPD, which we knew, of course. The ER doc wanted to know if they should start a "ventilator" after the full cardiac arrest and respiratory failure. Not knowing any better my SIL said yes, thinking it was simply to give him oxygen as he had been revived. It turns out that they shouldn't have use one since his lungs are already so compromised. It also means that a ventillator is really a respirator or life support. Now it's very tricky to try to get him off it, and in the mean time his kidneys have failed. My SIL isn't yet ready to tell them to turn him off, and the Kaiser docs seem willing to keep trying to get him back to some semblance of life. An added problem is that the CPR which revived him broke his whole rib cage apart and when they try to move him its terribly painful and they've already punctured a lung once. It's all just too awful to deal with. I spend all my time at the ICU with my SIL trying to get thru this. Now she wishes she hadn't called 911 or started CPR in the first place, and what a terrible thing for her to feel. I've only relayed this story because those of you with loved ones with COPD need to have frank discussions with your pulmonologist and your loved ones' about their final wishes.